• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylas

Disagree entirely. Limit your healing items and the game will get a lot harder. You have to be so much more careful. Its why you see so many people kindle bonfires. It obvious helps them as it effectively cancels the mistakes they have been making prior to the boss.

Well then you missed my point. Grass, as a collection of healing items ( not just full heal) was ridicoulously easy. Dozens of enemies dropped it, in large quantities, regularly and can be bought cheaply as well (unlimited stock too). Humanity is nothing like that. Gems are nothing like humanity.

I will probably limit myself to just gems and use flask when an invader comes.

I see your point that limiting healing items makes people play more cautiously, and it sounds like (from people watching the early stream) that healing items are more limited than they were in DkS at the start. So hey, whatever.

If we're talking from a purely PvE perspective... who cares how other people play the game? Let them get their enjoyment from it. It doesn't impact you in the slightest.

PvP-wise, if you let someone heal to full without them popping a full-heal item. Well, that's your fault. You're bad at PvPing in a Souls game if someone can just be a turtle against you.

Disagree entirely. Limit your healing items and the game will get a lot harder. You have to be so much more careful. Its why you see so many people kindle bonfires. It obvious helps them as it effectively cancels the mistakes they have been making prior to the boss.

Well then you missed my point. Grass, as a collection of healing items ( not just full heal) was ridicoulously easy. Dozens of enemies dropped it, in large quantities, regularly and can be bought cheaply as well (unlimited stock too). Humanity is nothing like that. Gems are nothing like humanity.

I will probably limit myself to just gems and use flask when an invader comes.

Well good for you. Put yourself some restrictions if you think you'll enjoy it more that way, that's it.

Nothing new here, people have been doing soul lvl 1 runs since Demon's Souls to give themselves a better challenge, just think of it as something similar and all will be good. Unless it's really just the fact that you don't want other people to have a "easy" time with the game, you shouldn't care as much.

Deitus

In demons souls we had grass, a farmable item. Every time you died though you would be wasting it. In Dark Souls death did not waste your healing source since it refills when you die.

Now in Dark Souls you have your farmable item plus a healing source that is replenished after death. Its an extra safety net. One that is not needed.

It's true you would have to farm up grass if you wasted too much of it. But, as you say:

Well then you missed my point. Grass, as a collection of healing items ( not just full heal) was ridicoulously easy. Dozens of enemies dropped it, in large quantities, regularly and can be bought cheaply as well (unlimited stock too).

It's not as if it was particularly difficult to farm. By the end of my first playthrough, I was burning grass on every single scratch I got, because otherwise I would run out of room to carry more. So having a free healing item on top of that wouldn't even matter.

Steez

Can i post a link to my post in the spoiler thread for those that want to only see marked spoilers? There are unmarked story/boss spoilers in the thread...

yes, or at least edit your previous post warning people a bit more thoroughly :/

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Can i post a link to my post in the spoiler thread for those that want to only see marked spoilers? There are unmarked story/boss spoilers in the thread...

Is it just about mechanics? If so, i wouldn't mind taking a ganders without traversing the spoiler thread minefield. :)

we are not going to see a PC release date before the console versions arrive, right?

It will end up being Friday and all of us suckers getting both versions will cry. Still, there's no retail version PC version(standard or CE) here and I want something for my shelf.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I just squinted my eyes to blurry and scrolled down the spoiler thread first page for a second and didn't see anything I recognized. It was very exciting and I'm happy I made it out alive. I think I read about 3 posts that didn't make sense out of context also.

Soriku

Demons Souls = Grass
Dark Souls = estus
DS2 = estus + grass

Can you not see the problem.

In Demon's I never ran out of grass. Eventually you get to the point where you just have a lot, or can buy a lot, even of the better types of grass.

Dark Souls gave you 10 Estus Flasks (20 later on) by kindling a bonfire, which is hella generous when you're not fighting a boss. By the time you ran out of Estus, you'd probably have gathered a bunch of souls to level up, or made a decent amount of progress in an area.

Many of the deaths in Demon's and Dark will occur even if you have a lot of healing items on hand. The problem there is that you weren't able to heal in time.

Seance

Banned
Rings are just as strong as DS1 and there are 4 slots now..... It's gonna be interesting lads :D

Some of these new rings sound REALLY strong too. Lot's of viable options this time around for PVP and PVE.

Orayn

fffffffffffffuck

Hype is creeping up on me and I'm tempted to buy the 360 version on the 14th to play over my Spring Break, which lasts until the 22nd. I may be playing right into Bamco's hands on this one, but if the game is good I can't feel that guilty...

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Welp, game leaked on torrent websites, expect a lot of streams and spoilers all over the internet starting soon. Stay strong guys.

So has there been any confirmation regarding invasions after you beat the section boss? Always annoyed me not being able to be invaded or invade people once they beat a boss.

I don't see the rage over healing items. I don't think I've died a single time in Demon or Dark as a result of running out of healing. It was always because I couldn't keep up or got killed trying to heal.

Kieli

The whole reason to delay the PC version was to minimize piracy eating away console sales. Now that the goddamn game has been leaked, that plan's gone to hell.

Honest consumers suffer in the end. Goddamit.

BigDug13

The whole reason to delay the PC version was to minimize piracy eating away console sales. Now that the goddamn game has been leaked, that plan's gone to hell.

Anyone can download a pirated PC version and play it on their computer. There's a MUCH smaller number of people downloading pirated 360 versions of their games for their required DVD-firmware-flashed 360 that was probably banned from Xbox Live at some point. And can people pirate PS3 games easily at all?

Shinjica

Anyone can download a pirated PC version and play it on their computer. There's a MUCH smaller number of people downloading pirated 360 versions of their games for their required DVD-firmware-flashed 360 that was probably banned from Xbox Live at some point. And can people pirate PS3 games easily at all?

People who pirate games dont buy it in first place so, with this method, you only make honest buyer suffer for the situation.

Sickbean

Another day aboard the hype train!

I must say, nothing I've seen leaked so far gives me any worries about the game. Hype intensifying.

BigDug13

People who pirate games dont buy it in first place so, with this method, you only make honest buyer suffer for the situation.

Huh? They didn't delay the PC version because of piracy, so I'm not sure what pirates did to your game in this specific example.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Can't decide if I should wait for PC or just bite on the 360 version -.- Don't have a PS3, sadly, only PS4 :/

MilkBeard

Is anyone else going to solo every boss?
:eek:

I did it for Dark Souls so I don't see why I wouldn't do it for DSII. I didn't have access to internet when I played through DS though, so I might try it out on DS II just to get the experience. Maybe I'll wait till after I beat the game once, though.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
fffffffffffffuck

Hype is creeping up on me and I'm tempted to buy the 360 version on the 14th to play over my Spring Break, which lasts until the 22nd. I may be playing right into Bamco's hands on this one, but if the game is good I can't feel that guilty...

If you have the cash/means and want to play the game, just go for it.

I don't understand the mentality of the bolded. So many people these days think they're being duped or double-duped by a company just because of where and when they (as consumers) decide to put down their money. Buy what you believe in and feel good about it.

If you're truly worried about your sale becomming a broken statistic, either put your money where you mouth is, or try communicating with the company (mail, Facebook, Twitter, petition, etc. - there are many potential channels these days).

Mana Sin

Is there any way to get release-date delivery if you don't have Prime? I've already asked this, but I'm still quite unsure.

I spoke to a customer rep a few minutes ago, and he was pretty vague about the whole thing. I fear he didn't really know what he was talking about.

Currently, I have Two-Day Delivery selected as my delivery speed (I have to pay for it, since I am not a prime member), and I've yet to receive an email estimating the date of delivery.

Should I try to get another rep tomorrow, or does someone here know the answer?

Pirating ps3 games is easy if you have custom firmware.

Ostinatto

OffTopic:

can someone PM me a duel wielding two handed pure damage Build and weapons for Demon's souls? i want to do a final run before Dark Souls II.

nobody is reading the demon's souls Thread :(

thanks a lot.

Sanctuary

Does anyone know if the change to jump just adds the functionality to L3, without removing the ability to still do it the way it was done in the previous two games? Otherwise, that's going to be a hard adjustment to make.

Is anyone else going to solo every boss?
:eek:

I did that for both games on my first playthroughs. I wanted the "real" experience of the game. Co-op has its uses, but sometimes it really does trivialize the boss fights. I typically never summoned anyone, but after my first playthrough I'd sometimes allow myself to be summoned.

All games leak. Every single one of them. All the time.

Ugh, fucking pirates win again.
Its unavoidable. This is the world we live in.

And can people pirate PS3 games easily at all?
Yes.

Feindflug

I saw a video of the 360 version in youtube and that video had a lot of screen tearing...frame-rate looked higher than Dragon's Dogma but the screen tearing looked worse, it was like constant and there all the time which was surprising since DaS2 is being developed in-house IIRC and the previous Souls games were v-synced.

Can Veggy confirm any of the above? I guess not but hopefully it was just a bad capture because it was really distracting. :(

Yep. I had a friend that 100% completed Super Mario Galaxy 2 a whole week or so before the game was even released. I almost didn't believe him at first.
Yeah normally games leak a week before they come out. That's the usual timeframe, but I remember a few years ago when Gears of War 3 and Halo: Reach leaked a few MONTHS in advance. Those are rare occasions though.

eot

Banned
Very, very few of my deaths in DeS and DkS were due to running out of healing items. The vast majority of my deaths were the product of me getting in over my head or something silly happening. Thus, having a surplus of healing items won't really bother me.

People say that, but even having limited healing changes the way you play. If you only have 10 Estus then you can't heal every little bit of chip damage you take, it affords you less mistakes. On my first DkS run I didn't kindle anything for a while, so I ran through the Parish and killed the Gargoyles with five Estus. The difference between five and ten is massive, I would almost always have to use at least one getting through the church and then only have four left for the boss as opposed to nine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom