• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Can someone direct me please. I've got the kings ring but haven't fought freya or the chariot. Did I miss them or is it coming up?

freyja is part of brightstone cove. chariot is by the undead lockaway bonfire in huntsman's copse. take the large bridge and make a left and drop.

ironcreed

Banned
First try after taking a break. Is it not strange how it always happens like that?
Alluring Skulls did the trick in the Rat Vanguard fight.
Ah, dem feels when you can finally move on.

Filth

freyja is part of brightstone cove. chariot is by the undead lockaway bonfire in huntsman's copse. take the large bridge and make a left and drop.

Ty

Could you also tell me the name of the location to the left of the gutter warp. I haven't been there yet and it seems out of place cause I'm on to the next row of locations

AnnTiPa

I feel like am doing something wrong here. My character is the most generic warrior build ever (Health/Stamina/Strength) but most people are choosing a spellcaster for some reason. Am i missing something? is it most easier? Fun? Should i respec?

Melee is the only proper way to play Dark Souls. Don't listen to what other people say, anything else is easy mode and is only acceptable after you have completed the game and are trying out different builds.

EDIT: I realized this does sound a bit too judging... of course everyone should play the way they prefer. Magic and ranged is generally easier that melee so melee might feel more rewarding, which is what Dark Souls is all about.

gargoyles/maneaters

tower knight/iron golem

king allant/artorias

Those are all quite different from each other. I'm not saying FROM don't reuse bosses, the certainly do. I think those are just bad examples, apart from IG/TK.

Vanguard (DeS), Demon Firesage (DaS) and Asylum Demon (DaS) is good example. Same moveset with the exception of an added AoE blast added to the DaS reincarnation.

There's generally a lot of reused ideas for bosses between games. I think they do a good job of remixing those ideas for the most part.

LProtag

Where is everyone having luck as a sunbro? I'm level 110 now and I think I'm going to put a stop to leveling up so that I can co-op easier.

fedexpeon

Banned
here's my interpretation of shrine of amana as a melee

Holy shit. /Dead, literally too.
I did that place over 6 TIMES! I have never ever done any places more than 3 times in a Souls series.
I thought I can brute force it, but there are so many enemies near the fog gate.
I gave up on that place until I went back with bow/ 500 arrows to say fuck you bitches!! (Aiming for their head because I was that pissed off)

rando14

Um, yeah so I just got to
The Gutter

ibgYTBfe9Wodnh.gif

Oh God it's blight town all over again!! ;_;

haha the most frustrating part of the game for me as a melee character with no arrows was definitely shrine of amana, so many deaths there.

So I've put about 15 hours into the game this weekend and feel like writing some thoughts. Firstly, this is everything I wanted from a Dark Souls sequel and I am in the hot zone with it where I can think of nothing else. I was washing my car in the sub this afternoon and all I could think about was getting back into the game :) The next few months will be tough, and I can't even think about inFAMOUS and MGS which are both out on Friday!

I am not 100% sold on the non-respawning enemies; Among the main reason, it also makes the game world feel empty as you can travel for a while at times without coming across anyone. I do wonder if FROM will patch this out in a future update, but I guess we don't know how well it will work out at the moment. You can easily get souls from the awesome co-op play but who knows how busy that will be in 6 months, 1 year down the road..

Couple of remarks about PS3 version
- Framerate is shit and DOES affect controls at times
- Audio glitches. Audio constantly cuts in and out, quite nasty at times.
- Loading is... Long but not horrific (I do wish online summoning was done like Burnout Paradise where your games just merged together though, the loading into someone's game is a little long)

Game world feels good although perhaps bot as interconnected as before? Wont know for a while on this. The game has lost the wonder factor of DkS1, but thats not the games fault, it IS a sequel to two other games. Combat feels really slick, the new changes feel good and keep you on your toes. Along with this, things such as Stamina getting fuuuucked (almost feels like a negative value when it zeroes), and your character basically giving up :D These changes, with slower Estus drinking, and Max health loss upon death have really bumped up the overall difficulty. After playing all weekend I think I like the changes, and its just getting used to change :) Natural human emotion and all that!

So yeah, game is amazing and I love it.

Mentok

Banned
Sooo...I just beat
Ornstein
, and then went to speak to the
Blue Sentinel to join his covenant
. The guy just brushed me off. I found out I needed to assist someone else online with the boss, so I did but he still brushes me off! What am I doing wrong?

Um, yeah so I just got to
The Gutter

Wait until you get to what's under that.

Sooo...I just beat
Ornstein
. The guy just brushed me off. I found out I needed to assist someone else online with the boss, so I did but he still brushes me off! What am I doing wrong?

I eventually got tired of listening to him tell me 'no' that I cut him up. Oh well, NG+!

Oh shit... did I just hear the same VA from Xenoblade who does Fiora in that game?

*imdb*

I did! That's awesome. I loved her voice in that game. She's the VA of the woman you
free from being petrified before the shaded woods/forest.

LProtag

I'm also at
the Gutter. I went through all the broken down platforms and everything and ended up seeing a bonfire behind a wall that I couldn't get to. Do I have to go down and then climb back up to it? I ended up falling to my death so I have to do it all over again...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Question about a small secret by the first bonfire in
Harvest Valley.
Is it true that you can
turn the poison pool blocking the bonfire into a healing pool?

fedexpeon

Banned
Guys, are you ready to own 99.95% of all PVP fight?

1) Buy Spider Fang with Freya Soul.
2) Stand in front of them and use R2 special attack-Web Shot to slow them down
3) If it hits, THEY ARE SOOOO SCREWED!
4) Cast Swerving Flame, zero cast time, and it will explore in a 360 degree with no time to move/dodge---or just Backstab them.
5) Emote to them on how cheap you were

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Last night I decided it was time to finish up the Lost Bastille. I ran the boss as a summon once to get my bearings, and earned a hefty sum in the process. Then, as soon as I'm returned to my world, right near the boss doorway, I'm being rushed by at least 3 of those tough ass soldiers who wreck your shit immediately if you get caught up in their attacks. I panicked and ran into the boss room and of course died to the second two sentinels. So now my souls are trapped in there. Guess it's time to be human and roll with a posse.

I haven't had much trouble with any of the bosses so far, but I just don't see how you can fight two enemies at once in this game.

Also, is it weird that I'm at level 65 or something after 14 hours and 5 bosses down?

ironcreed

Banned
This place is a nightmare! Can't see shit, with
rickety boards, drop offs and poison
everywhere. Worse than Blight Town or Valley of Defilement. Cool location for a Souls game, though.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I hated going through Blighttown at the time it was at least a visually interesting area. The Gutter doesn't even have that going for it. It's just a terrible area all around.

Kusagari

The Gutter is complete shit. Being like Blight Town is one thing. Being a shithole where you can't even see what's going on is another.

Dresden

The Gutter was nice for actually making use of the torch. Too bad it's just worse all around than (the incredible) Blighttown or 5-1.

sixghost

Light dem torches.

Blight town was easily worse.

Yeah I'd say Blighttown was way worse. At least there isn't platforming in the Gutter. Just take it slow and carry a torch whenever you can, lighting the fires as you go.
Playing as a Knight I have 50k souls to spend. What stats MUST I upgrade? Which are crucial?
Endurance is the most important stat in the game. Period. If you don't know what to put points into, go with endurance or hp.

Leezard

Sooo...I just beat
Ornstein

You need to help someone with the regular size white soapstone, not the small white soapstone.

Hixx

Bastard Sword and Drangleic Shield combo is tearing stuff up at the moment. Only just got to (5/6+ bosses down area)
Sinner's Rise
but took down the
Ruin Sentinels
with no problems on the second try after I fucked up the first one by falling down too early. Really need to find some Lockstones, not come across one for a while despite seeing a few mechanisms.

This bonfire is stupid, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom