• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
(Undead Crypt question)

How the hell do you stop those blue dudes from spawning in that huge chamber with a bunch of golden kings guards

In the room leading to the boss door there's a little alcove under the stairs containing a bell that summons the ghosts when it's rung, and a raggedy little jerk that likes to ring it. Go down there and kill the ringer without hitting the bell to prevent any from spawning.

Nvm, I figured it out.
http://i.imgur.com/tqoEw2z.jpg
aw yeah I'm swag as fuck

Make sure you always use the special attack during co-op to prove to everybody that you ain't no Moonlight Fakesworder, unlike a certain someone.

JoeFenix

Finished the game tonight!

Started as Depraved and joined the Company of Champions as soon as possible, took me 58 hours. A ton of the bosses were one hit kills and armor didn't seem to help too much so it was definitely very challenging, borderline cheap in certain areas like the
Shrine of Amana
but overall it was an incredibly memorable way to do a first playthrough.

Starting Deprived was insane, took me 8 hours just to beat the first boss. I was being thorough and exploring everything but still, I was getting WRECKED until I managed to get some gear going.

Ended up with 23 Awestones, these things are really hard to come by, it would have been cooler if you got them for beating bosses as part of the Covenant instead of drops from certain enemies though. Hopefully I can probably farm out the rest during me next playthrough.

Overall I really loved the game, it can be very rough around the edges (some areas are just plain unfinished looking) but it's really well thought out and designed throughout. Some major issues with hitboxes at times but I'm learning to work my way around them for the most part.

This is the first Souls game where I'm just excited to keep playing after finishing it so they did something right there. The Bonfire Ascetic mechanic and how it ties into drops and new game+ is just awesome. Love that stuff!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Damn I'm like ten hours in and no pyromancy yet. Is it rare I'm this game?
I kinda miss it. Did I miss something somewhere?

jabuseika

I white phantomed all day,
using the Demon's Great Hammer
, very fun.

That hammer can pretty much one shot all the big guys at Heide's Tower of Flame with over 600 damage, and it'll make both bosses in that area a breeze. At 25 strength to wield with both hands, it's pretty much the best weapon I have so far, and the upgraded version... oh man...

It can also two-shot the first boss of Brightstone Cove, the dark priest. I got like 30 Tokens of Fidelity for white phantom-ing in a couple of hours, just smashing that boss over and over. It never got old. ^_^

JeTmAn81

Finished the game tonight!

Started as Depraved and joined the Company of Champions as soon as possible, took me 58 hours. A ton of the bosses were one hit kills and armor didn't seem to help too much so it was definitely very challenging, borderline cheap in certain areas like the
Shrine of Amana
but overall it was an incredibly memorable way to do a first playthrough.

Starting Deprived was insane, took me 8 hours just to beat the first boss. I was being thorough and exploring everything but still, I was getting WRECKED until I managed to get some gear going.

Ended up with 23 Awestones, these things are really hard to come by, it would have been cooler if you got them for beating bosses as part of the Covenant instead of drops from certain enemies though. Hopefully I can probably farm out the rest during me next playthrough.

Overall I really loved the game, it can be very rough around the edges (some areas are just plain unfinished looking) but it's really well thought out and designed throughout. Some major issues with hitboxes at times but I'm learning to work my way around them for the most part.

This is the first Souls game where I'm just excited to keep playing after finishing it so they did something right there. The Bonfire Ascetic mechanic and how it ties into drops and new game+ is just awesome. Love that stuff!

The game's been out for 5 days. How did you manage 10+ hours of playtime a day, lol?

JoeFenix

The game's been out for 5 days. How did you manage 10+ hours of playtime a day, lol?

Work and play, that's literally ALL I did for the past 5 days. 4 hours of sleep every night, these games just murder me! The original Dark Souls was the same, a week straight of borderline obsession, hah!

I had to get it out of my system, I'll definitely slow down from here on out :)

TheMink

Hey guys whats the highest soul level i can be to help people in the first part of the tower?

Edit:
Do we know if its still 10% above/below still?

Dresden

Who else had trouble with the Pilgrims of the Dark covenant?
Trying to get to Rank 2, killed all four phantoms, lit the fire, jumped out, still no change in dialogue or a rank up.
Repeated it three times now and still no reaction.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Who else had trouble with the Pilgrims of the Dark covenant?
Trying to get to Rank 2, killed all four phantoms, lit the fire, jumped out, still no change in dialogue or a rank up.
Repeated it three times now and still no reaction.

Have you lit the fire on all the 3 different locations?

Stoze

Ok, don't want to ask too many questions, but are there any other ways of opening illusionary walls that don't involve pressing A/X, hitting them, using pharros lockstone, or environmental explosions (barrels)? The only other thing I can think of for this wall is that it only opens from the other side, but there's a message in front with like 200 votes saying its an illusion.

TheMink

Ok, don't want to ask too many questions, but are there any other ways of opening illusionary walls that don't involve pressing A/X, hitting them, using pharros lockstone, or environmental explosions (barrels)? The only other thing I can think of for this wall is that it only opens from the other side, but there's a message in front with like 200 votes saying its an illusion.

Past the three tower guards ya? I saw that too, its definitely nothing.

Started a new game, gave up on my level 115 pure sorcerer. I'm about a little more than half-way through the game and still not near getting a new staff. There's like no damn items for sorcerers, it's terrible. I kept dumping all my stat points into INT/ATN and feel like I completely wasted my time.

The spells are all so generic and generally not affective compared to weapons users. When I play co-op I see so many people with awesome looking weapons/armor and they WRECK dudes in 1-2 hits. My character just stands back a PEWPEWs 5-6 soul arrows to kill regular enemies, and that's with very high INT/+5 staff. The only cool stuff I have is pyromancy, but you don't need anywhere near the intelligence I have to use it.

The spells you find, which take about half the game before you get anything decent, all look the same. You get about 5 variations of soul arrow, only 2 of which noticeably do any decent damage compared to the last.

It was just very unfulfilling. I can't understand why From changed magic so much from the beta.

This is my first time playing as a sorcerer ever and while I've been feeling the same about gear, but I've found it to be fun and I'm almost done with the game. What changes where made?

I did however have some questions about being a magic user since I'm thinking of respecing. Are the HEXES or it? I've been using the Flame longsword from the beginning of the game all the way through, is the damage I do with that from my INT or STR?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I just started the game tonight so you guys have seen tons of locales but man, when you walk out to Mujala that very first time. Wow. Just beautiful.

For what it's worth, I am loving the feel of combat and movement in general. HUGE fan of how you jump now, seems perfect on the L-stick.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Damn just beat the first of the four.
Old Sinner. Can't believe the first primal bonfire is just sitting in this square bland concrete room after the boss. WTF?

isual

Literally at the final boss, 62 hours in game already, SL 165 and counting.

I'm just grinding for armor and weapons that mobs drop

ADP apparently increases the speed of just about everything that isn't swinging a weapon, from what I understand. It's pretty much a make your character function normally stat.

Ah okay, thank you. I'm at 20 atm, I might increase to 30 if that's the case.

I'm stuck on the
spider boss

ugh

seriously, i just lost 50k souls here without even killing her.

Summon help. Usually just one extra person is best, you need someone to tank while you do damage or vice versa. If you want to solo... learn the patterns and/or level up/get new gear.

Helping people at the 3 sentinal boss atm. Soul lvl 41 name is Easystreet722 on PSN. I'll be the big yellow sign at the bottom of the ladder leading up to the boss.

Alebelly

So for anyone wondering 30% equip load allows you furthest possible roll. I didn't test exactly 35% but 40% gives you a slightly shorter distance.

props to Alebelly for the idea

edit: anything above 30% is not optimal.

I got the idea from the Future Press guy, though what I recommended to you is more accurate than what he was showing. His youtube channel is https://www.youtube.com/user/AGermanSpy. Interesting vids, he was part of the early debug builds all the way to retail.

He said the framerate was so bad in the game, sometimes seconds between frames, that they strongly doubted the retail release would be anything other than a mess. From his perspective he said he was hugely impressed that the game runs as well as it does and looks as good as it does, considering what they were playing right before the retail launch.

TheMink

No, it's:
In the Shaded Ruins near where the half-scorpion half-man guy thing is. I don't think something with 200 votes would be nothing.

Well, its possible a bunch of people wasted a bunch of time swipin around a voted but negatively, there is not distinctions between the two.

Rojo

Finished the game about 36 hrs SL 106 gonna buy all the boss weapons i can now and try to find any good shit before NG+.

Guevara

Damn just beat the first of the four.
Old Sinner. Can't believe the first primal bonfire is just sitting in this square bland concrete room after the boss. WTF?
Yeah that and a lot of other rooms look unfinished.

One of the best things about prior games is the areas looked "lived in."

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yeah that and a lot of other rooms look unfinished.

One of the best things about prior games is the areas looked "lived in."

Yea, figured the first "of the four" you finally down should have felt like a pivotal moment. Hell I wasn't even aware that WAS one of the four until I lit the fire in that bland pointless room. A shame.

Stoze

Well, its possible a bunch of people wasted a bunch of time swipin around a voted but negatively, there is not distinctions between the two.

That's true, guess it is nothing then.

Also figured out all getting cursed does is take down your max hp a bit like dieing when hollow, made the shaded ruins out to be a lot trickier than it actually is.

TheMink

Fighting during the moment your leader is summoning another player is a good way to get yourself killed btw, it creates mega lag

Side point, remember to rest at bonfires after helping, your weapons get wrecked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom