• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obscura

Guh, totally at a stand-still right now. Beat the Dragonrider, but can't seem to hold my own against the Old Dragonslayer.

So, took a detour and headed to Huntman's Copse, where those Torturers completely tear me apart. Then, headed to the Grave of Saints, but get smacked down by the Rat Vanguard. And, going to No-Man's Wharf, get destroyed by those long-armed creatures that inflict bleed. No matter which route I have open now, just can't seem to make any progress. Any suggestions?

I'm soul level 38, warrior, with most of my points allocated to strength and endurance.

How did you get down the hole to the Grave of Saints? I'm SL 65 and even with the fall damage ring I die falling to the first platform.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Are you using the Merchant's hat? I got like five of those katana farming the Iron Keep guys to extinction. Speaking of which, I should probably take a look at that sword. I liked using katana weapons in the first game.

Wore that, an item find chestpeice, and the item find ring.

Edit: just had a greatbow drop from them so I'm assuming that they don't drop the katana too.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Wait, you can upgrade rings in this game?
I have a few +1 rings I've found. How do you do it?
You just find improved versions of the rings in different areas of the game. And in new game+ you can start finding +2 I believe.

If you can upgrade them yourself I never found out how.

GulAtiCa

The Soul Memory thing helps explain why putting down a summon before the 1st boss never gets me summoned now.. Guess I should try a later boss instead tonight.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Falling your way through the pit in majula is a sequence break of sorts. The 'normal' way is:
Meet an NPC at Earthen Peak who will move to Majula and sell you ladders.

RyanDG

#removesoulmemory

pls add to #YOULIED

I can't believe that the soul memory cap is really 50,000 considering how high souls get between levels near the 100 and above mark. 50,000 souls is not even the difference of one level at that point.

There has to be some scaling involved I would imagine? Or is the 50,000 confirmed?

Grudy

Was surprised when I beat the (Grave of Saints boss)
Royal Rat Authority
on my second try after everyone complained about it xD It's super easy with a bit of sorcery and pyromancy (Particularly Flame Swathe and soul spear barrage) .

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Dual wielding (power stancing it) stats only matter as long as you have 1.5x the stat requirements. So if a sword has 10 str required, you're going to need 15.

Other than that... upgrade the stats mattering on the damage scaling of the weapon.

Ok I'm early on so I can't really spec to a good weapon yet, but thanks. Is the scaling decreased or do both weapons scale normally off your stats? And is "power stancing" dual wielding, I've been wondering what that meant

If you are having that much of a problem, consider attuning the repair spell or bringing in a stock of repair powder. Repair powder is relatively cheap.

Additionally, the ability to upgrade weapons in this game seems a lot easier than previous souls games. For example, I currently have 3 weapons at +10 and 3 that are at +9. And this is without any significant grinding going into it aside from pvping in the bell covenant (which is the easiest way to earn titanite chunks right now).

If you aren't a fan of invading though, I can understand where you may be having upgrade issues (at least until near the end of the game).

I don't think my guy can use magic. And the blacksmith only has one repair powder to sell (for 2500, which is pretty pricy for me at the moment). So what's this about getting titanite chunks by invading? I'm not even sure how to invade in this game, now that you bring it up.

blackflag

Guh, totally at a stand-still right now. Beat the Dragonrider, but can't seem to hold my own against the Old Dragonslayer.

So, took a detour and headed to Huntman's Copse, where those Torturers completely tear me apart. Then, headed to the Grave of Saints, but get smacked down by the Rat Vanguard. And, going to No-Man's Wharf, get destroyed by those long-armed creatures that inflict bleed. No matter which route I have open now, just can't seem to make any progress. Any suggestions?

I'm soul level 38, warrior, with most of my points allocated to strength and endurance.

Maybe just farm the old knights and practice your dodge roll? It sounds like that is what your problem is if you are having problems with what you mentioned.

shtkn

fall damage is affected by your equip burden, so getting naked will let you fall further without dying. hopefully you have enough health after that.

Dresden

I can't believe that the soul memory cap is really 50,000 considering how high souls get between levels near the 100 and above mark. 50,000 souls is not even the difference of one level at that point.

There has to be some scaling involved I would imagine? Or is the 50,000 confirmed?

It probably scales, yeah. By how much we don't know, and people who've played past the 2mil range have probably seen the way summons and just multiplayer action in general dwindles as you go, even as your SL remains the same. It's such a lousy mechanic.

Ferrio

Banned
Ok I'm early on so I can't really spec to a good weapon yet, but thanks. Is the scaling decreased or do both weapons scale normally off your stats? And is "power stancing" dual wielding, I've been wondering what that meant

When you equip two weapons you're not really dual wielding, you're just equipping two weapons and can use either one.

If you have 1.5x the stat requirements for each, you can enter power stance... which lets you actually dual wield (swing both at the same time).

To enter it you hold triangle (on PS3), and your left trigger moves will be the dual wielding moves.

Both weapons will scale off your stats, just look at their scaling numbers.

Sullichin

I don't think my guy can use magic. And the blacksmith only has one repair powder to sell (for 2500, which is pretty pricy for me at the moment). So what's this about getting titanite chunks by invading? I'm not even sure how to invade in this game, now that you bring it up.

join the bell covenant, put on the ring and you'll be auto summoned to people's world to kill them. You get a titanite chunk for each successful invasion.

Maybe just farm the old knights and practice your dodge roll? It sounds like that is what your problem is if you are having problems with what you mentioned.

Honestly, besides getting owned by the Old Dragonslayer, it's mostly being frustrated in Huntsman's Copse and getting destroyed by the Torturers. The normal enemies in that level are a piece of cake. But those Torturers....ugh. They're fast, they inflict bleed, and no matter what I do, they can easily three hit me. :(

And............crap. The Drangelic Shield and Sword drop from the Pursuer? Another guy who totally wipes the floor with me. Ha!

Eh, it basically means you just keep a backup weapon to use until you can grab the Bracing Knuckle Ring (and its upgrades).

Distance is determined by your equip burden percentage, too.
makes sense, I wish there was a chart that showed at what number the the heavy roll starts suffering..

Arkos

When you equip two weapons you're not really dual wielding, you're just equipping two weapons and can use either one.

If you have 1.5x the stat requirements for each, you can enter power stance... which lets you actually dual wield (swing both at the same time).

To enter it you hold triangle (on PS3), and your left trigger moves will be the dual wielding moves.

Both weapons will scale off your stats, just look at their scaling numbers.

Oh shit awesome. Thank you very much. And there is no way to block or parry with two weapons?

keit4

Banned
Hey GAF, i'm working on a dexterity build. I'm wasting the points in vitality, endurance and dexterity, should i invest in other stats?

Hystzen

I do like the NPC plot arcs this time compared to Dark Souls 1. In one too many plots ended with "they went insane try to kill you the end" but this time they gone more subtle changes.

E.g guy sells you armour sets changes his tone and way he talks more you buy.

Sullichin

fall damage is affected by your equip burden, so getting naked will let you fall further without dying. hopefully you have enough health after that.

Also, The Lion Warrior Robe limits fall damage as well. Might be able to get away with just that robe + otherwise naked and not buy the ring.

Ferrio

Banned
Oh shit awesome. Thank you very much. And there is no way to block or parry with two weapons?

If you're in power stance no.. you'd have to hit triangle again to go into regular mode.

For the most part...dual wielding is very lack luster. Lot of negatives... and I can't really see any positives other than looking cool.

RyanDG

If you are anywhere near the lost bastille level...

Take a Pharos cube with you to the servants quarters. Take the ladder down and use it at the point on that floor. A secret passage will highlight up leading you to the belfry luna. Join the covenant there and wear the ring. You will be called in as part of the Bell guardians anytime someone goes to that level or Belfry sol and if you successfully defeat them, you will earn a titanite chunk.

I have about 60 chunks stockpiled right now... Sorry to all those I've killed lol.

Facism

Where are the sinner players? Im a Blue Sentinel and not only I dont get summoned for help with the ring,I cant even find anyone to invade with the cracked blue orb.

I've been wearing that ring since the start and have never been summoned once.

Blue sentinels is gravelord levels of trash tier. Too many requirements for it to work.

Finally found a staff with S scaling. Took ages.

Where?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Thanks. I guess if I ever decide to rock a Sun Bro character to help people I'll have to suicide right before the boss dies, so I don't earn too many souls.

That statement from Bamco does specify that some covenants make it easier to be summoned, so presumably Sunbro-ery eases the requirements a bit or something similar. Though anecdotally the difference in the quantity of summons I'm getting as a gold phantom and as a white phantom aren't all that noticeable.

That said, I've got some serious doubts that the hard 50,000 number is actually accurate. I think I might start messaging some people after I beat a boss with them asking what their Soul Memory is.

Wow, they are going to need to adjust that significantly.

I understand the rationale behind limiting invasions based on it to prevent the Dark Souls problem of low-level invaders with uber equipment becoming an omnipresent griefing force, but I can't for the life of me conceive of why a simple soul level limit isn't enough for co-op.

Curiously, according to people who've been testing things, the red dueling summon sign doesn't have any soul memory limits. Which is zany, but that's the going theory.

Raxus

It probably scales, yeah. By how much we don't know, and people who've played past the 2mil range have probably seen the way summons and just multiplayer action in general dwindles as you go, even as your SL remains the same. It's such a lousy mechanic.
I was wondering why I stopped seeing friendly signs. I hope they patch it out. It just discourages co op.

It also doesn't help nobody uses the small soapstone which is godly.

Filth

What area is the pyro glove in and where do I get the spell?

I've been throwing Witching Urns in PvP to catch people off guard. Not many seem to have good magic resistance so they're pretty effective. Throwing poison sounds much more effective...and fiendish!

Honestly I don't remember where I got the gloves. I have 2. One that is normal and another that is stronger when you are hallow. The spell is from the rat boss soul and you trade it to straid. The spell is like a much stronger version of poison.

Sullichin

If you are anywhere near the lost bastille level...

Take a Pharos cube with you to the servants quarters. Take the ladder down and use it at the point on that floor. A secret passage will highlight up leading you to the belfry luna. Join the covenant there and wear the ring. You will be called in as part of the Bell guardians anytime someone goes to that level or Belfry sol and if you successfully defeat them, you will earn a titanite chunk.

I have about 60 chunks stockpiled right now... Sorry to all those I've killed lol.

Do you get a slab every X kills as well? Pretty sure I've gotten one from invading as well, not sure if it was a one time reward for 10 kills or something.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Watched ENB's vid where he showed off the guide... Looks incredible. I think it's been delayed a week at bookdep.uk but I can wait. That is one awesome looking book.

Guevara

Warmth is a pretty cool spell.

Had an awesome co-op experience with this miracle.
First time fighting Covetous Demon and I summoned two sunbros. I made a stupid mistake and the Covetous Demon ate (?) all my gear and I was running around naked. One bro kept wailing on the demon while the other cast Warmth to keep me alive with no armor or weapons. Couple of awesome players and quick thinking there.
Cannot believe I survived that.

Arkos

If you're in power stance no.. you'd have to hit triangle again to go into regular mode.

For the most part...dual wielding is very lack luster. Lot of negatives... and I can't really see any positives other than looking cool.

Precisely :p again thanks a lot, I think I get it now.

So, my two weapons require str 7 and dex 16. So to be able to power stance them I would need str 11 and dex 24?

What's hilarious about soul memory is that it makes the Blue Sentinels even more useless than they already are. Invasions should really take effect the later into the game you are but everyone is on so many different levels soul memory wise at that point that it becomes almost pointless. Hell, I'd join Blue Sentinels just for dueling if it didn't always take a Token of Fidelity. I should be able to duel for Cracked Blue Eye Orbs whenever I want, I mean how else am I to get 500 goddamn kills for the top rank?

Covenant-wise, they really dropped the ball. Either they don't really work at all like Blue Sentinels and Brotherhood of Blood, or they're ridiculously over the top like the Bell Keepers. Hell, the only ones that really work are the PvE ones.

Ferrio

Banned
What area is the pyro glove in and where do I get the spell?

I've been throwing Witching Urns in PvP to catch people off guard. Not many seem to have good magic resistance so they're pretty effective. Throwing poison sounds much more effective...and fiendish!

It's in wharf, in the ship right after the boss

Precisely :p again thanks a lot, I think I get it now.

So, my two weapons require str 7 and dex 16. So to be able to power stance them I would need str 11 and dex 24?

Yep, also most of the time you need matching weapon types... seems to be other cases... like dagger seem to pair with other small swords. But you can't like power stance an ultra greatsword and a dagger.

So far of all the combos I've tested, curved swords and fist weapons were best.

RyanDG

Yes it is... As much as it sucks to have people create a level 1 character for the soul purpose of harassing people with decked out gear passed down from end game characters, I think those invasions are preferable to isolating the players even more with another check. Especially since those traditional invasions really don't happen all too frequently from what I've experienced. I think I can count on one hand the times that I've been invaded by phantom not in one of the "zones".

Ferr986

Earthen Peak boss is bullshit
I didnt even get to hit her, how in the hell they put a boss fight in a poison swamp? Im sure its easy as fuck but I get poisoned too quickly

TraBuch

Banned
The Washing Pole is fantastic, the length is ridiculous and it does more damage than the Blacksteel and Uchi. Unfortunately, it only has 20 durability. It's a good thing I have about 8 +10 weapons or I'd be in some trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom