• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixghost

(Very late game)
I am getting destroyed by these mace guys in dragon shrine. They are relentless, it's like they have infinite endurance!

That area is a motherfucker in general. The
giant mace knights and the little golden dragon armor guys
right after them are two of the hardest enemies in the entire game.

Has anyone been doing the CoC covenant? I was really surprised to find out that you only get awestones for defeating invaders, not bosses. Which seems like a big problem, since you really don't see many invaders until much later in the game.

Sullichin

The ring you got as a drop is a guaranteed drop from
The very first hippo thing at the very beginning of the game.

Personally I use:
3rd ring of the dragon (Ring of Favor and Protection 2.0)
Ring of Blades +1
Chloranthy Ring +1
Soldier's Ring +1
Where did you get that first ring? I'm thinking I should also get that
Stone Ring
, seems like it would be great for STR builds.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Oh, for those who are very far or have beaten it (at least through iron keep), I have a boss question:
After I beat the smelter demon, I later walked back into the boss room and an upgraded version of the Pursuer materialized in the middle of the room and attacked me. Are there other version of him? Does he show up again elsewhere?

rybrad

So how do I lay down messages? I haven't found an orange soapstone yet and I'm like 15 hours in.
Just hit start to bring up the menu and go to the message window to write one. If your message is popular prepare to enjoy seeing spam ratings on your screen, it is great fun.

(Very late game)
I am getting destroyed by these mace guys in dragon shrine. They are relentless, it's like they have infinite endurance!

Try to lure them out. There are stairs you can run down and eventually one or two will give up and you can fight them one on one.

Also if you have a mace or club now would be the time to upgrade and use it. It rips them apart.

Leunam

How are you guys in invasions? I was invaded once at Heide's and the guy was using a Twinblade which didn't give me any trouble once I figured it out. But so far in roughly twenty hours no other invasions besides the one Brodent and two Bell Tower invasions in another dudes world.

slayn

The scorpion guy gives it to you when you talk to him after killing that boss in the shaded woods.
That is a weaker version, actually. The best version is found
In a hidden area of the dragon shrine before climbing the long steps

Arcayne

!! In regards to Way of the Blue covenant and phantoms,
it says "To rank up, you will need to defeat 1, 5 and 10 invading phantoms." - does this mean I can PVP in bell tower? Or are shades considered not phantoms?
. This will be one of the easier covenants to complete if so.

Does this ring break after extended use? The flavor text makes it seem like it does.

I've been using it since I got it and taken it off and everything and so far it hasn't.

The ring you got as a drop is a guaranteed drop from
The very first hippo thing at the very beginning of the game.

Personally I use:
3rd ring of the dragon (Ring of Favor and Protection 2.0)
Ring of Blades +1
Chloranthy Ring +1
Soldier's Ring +1

Ah I knew I got it from a hippo but I guess since that one's hidden off the main path it's kind of a reward for exploration and taking on a tough enemy early.

How are you guys in invasions? I was invaded once at Heide's and the guy was using a Twinblade which didn't give me any trouble once I figured it out. But so far in roughly twenty hours no other invasions besides the one Brodent and two Bell Tower invasions in another dudes world.
Haven't been invaded a single time outside of the bell tower in 40 something hours.

Guevara

Twin blade moveset is cool as hell, but alas the stats suck to much to be useful.

mattp

boss spoilers
god dammit when the fucking wheels spawn during the skeleton lords fight i just get overwhelmed by all 3 of them at once

RyanDG

I have only been invaded once. I have invaded about 70+ times with the Bell Tower covenant, and have been pulled in 6 times for the rat covenant. Wish there were more traditional invasions tough, I miss going trough a level and having to deal with those.

slayn

So are there any cool secret worlds you can enter like the painted world in dark souls?
There is a difficult to find single player focused covenant (abyss) with areas and a great optional boss exclusive to it. That's all I know so far.

Hystzen

Anywhere can get bonfire ascetic, I bought one from blacksmiths daughter used it on the heides tower bonfire get another drangonrider soul.

I've only taken down the sinner so far and just reached earthen peak.

Salvatron

I found a
Black Knight
Halberd +1 somewhere... are the
Black Knights
still around? or is this just a product of a lost order?

Also, what's the equivalent of the Dark Covenant from DS1? Is there a red eye orb?

The only red phantom invasion I've encountered was I got summoned to help a dude in
Lost Bastille
and he was already midfight with an invader. I tagged in and whooped his ass. Felt good.

GulAtiCa

boss spoilers
god dammit when the fucking wheels spawn during the skeleton lords fight i just get overwhelmed by all 3 of them at once

Move to the walls, they are easy to tackle. Esp as even if they hit you, they will stop since they hit the wall.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

Other than rat and bell invasions I've had 3 invaders. One in
Huntsman's Copse
that didn't seem to know what he was doing and two much later in the game.

One was in
Dragon's Aerie
who invaded right as I dropped to a secret ledge that was impossible to get off of without a Homeward Bone. I just pressed myself up against the cliff face and didn't move. I watched him run through the stage at least three times before his invasion timed out then used my Homeward Bone.

The last was in
Dragon Shrine
and the invader ran at me, took a couple of hits that dropped him to about 20% HP, then went and hid behind a swarm of enemies. I refused to chase him into certain death no matter how many times he emoted at me, and so we stood around staring at one another until he timed out again.

Actually kind of amusing, really.

Jeramii

Banned
holy shit. i finally jumped down the hole in majula...

when I was
summoned as a grey phantom for the Rat King PVP stuff
I was so confused. I thought maybe it was the blue protector covenant calling me to help out a member (as I've yet to actually be summoned that way)... Then to my surprise
a regular looking dude came out and attacked me.

What a neat concept. Seems
extremely unbalanced that the Rat King members get a home court advantage with rats and traps.

Leunam

The only red phantom invasion I've encountered was I got summoned to help a dude in
Lost Bastille
and he was already midfight with an invader. I tagged in and whooped his ass. Felt good.

I got summoned just outside Belfry only to watch the dude get killed as I was rising off the ground. Poor guy, so close.

Twin blade moveset is cool as hell, but alas the stats suck to much to be useful.

It's definitely cool, but this guy kept doing strong attacks that kept missing. I poked him to death with my sword.

Anywhere can get bonfire ascetic, I bought one from blacksmiths daughter used it on the heides tower bonfire get another drangonrider soul.

I've only taken down the sinner so far and just reached earthen peak.

There's one in Lost Bastille, I think. Behind some bars.

sub_o

I found a
Black Knight
Halberd +1 somewhere... are the
Black Knights
still around? or is this just a product of a lost order?

Also, what's the equivalent of the Dark Covenant from DS1? Is there a red eye orb?

They don't exist in this era. But you still see some of their weapons here and there. Also, there's a popular armour set from Dark Souls that you can find.

I think you're looking at
Brotherhood of Blood
covenant.

Dresden

A note about hexes: you'll need to go past 30 in either int or faith in order to acess some of the higher level spells. Don't go with Int; Affinity, the Pursuers clone, is a nerfed version of it with far less tracking and damage. Even worse, it takes three spell slots.

Faith gets, on the other hand, Climax (ALL YOUR SOULS PER CAST), along with being able to access some of the higher level miracles (including greater lightning spear).

Hexes really are the way to go if you want a pure caster experience. Being able to use basically every branch of magic in the game is nifty as hell.

Farooq

Banned
boss spoilers

Kill one lord, then kill that lord's minions. Repeat that process, also kill the one in the middle last. He is the one the spawns the wheel dudes. Do not kill all the lords at once or you will get over whelmed.

A note about hexes: you'll need to go past 30 in either int or faith in order to acess some of the higher level spells. Don't go with Int; Affinity, the Pursuers clone, is a nerfed version of it with far less tracking and damage. Even worse, it takes three spell slots.

Faith gets, on the other hand, Climax (ALL YOUR SOULS PER CAST), along with being able to access some of the higher level miracles (including greater lightning spear).

Hexes really are the way to go if you want a pure caster experience. Being able to use basically every branch of magic in the game is nifty as hell.

Do you know when Dark Bonus starts receiving diminishing returns?

rybrad

One was in
Dragon's Aerie
who invaded right as I dropped to a secret ledge that was impossible to get off of without a Homeward Bone. I just pressed myself up against the cliff face and didn't move. I watched him run through the stage at least three times before his invasion timed out then used my Homeward Bone.
This one is hilarious!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

I think I'm going to do a hexer for my next character, with an eye towards using the Dark Souls 2 equivalent of Grant. 40 Strength on top of 30 Intelligence and Faith is pretty steep for a weapon that might well not be any good, but eh. Re-specs and all that.

The Lamp

According to Bamco you need to be within 10 levels and within 50,000 Soul Memory to either co-op with or invade someone. Which is generous at the start, but is an increasingly narrow range as you accumulate souls.

My Soul Memory is 2,316,502 at the moment. So only other players who have between 2,266,502 and 2,366,502 Soul Memory are available for me to do online stuff with, if what that Bamco rep says is accurate. Which seems crazy, but I'm getting less and less co-op as my Soul Memory increases, so even if it's not completely accurate there seems to be some truth to Soul Memory slowly strangling the online component as you play.

What a broken crock of shit. Wtf From

Salvatron

They don't exist in this era. But you still see some of their weapons here and there. Also, there's a popular armour set from Dark Souls that you can find.

I think you're looking at
Brotherhood of Blood
covenant.

Thank you! Glad to know.
And excellent.. I am a member : )

There's a twinblade that can be made out of a boss soul...is that one just as useless? I thought about trying it out but I'm not sure with all the reports of the main one sucking.

Where's the key to open the door in the Majula pit, that you get to via longest stair?

In the gulch, there's a ledge you drop down onto in front of one of the bugs sticking out of the wall. Theres another one of these doors on the ledge. Drop down the ledge again and you will fight some enemies that drop the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom