• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

And this folks, is what we're moaning about. THAT'S WHAT'S MEANT TO @#!*ING HAPPEN, there's nothing '!?CRAZY!?' about a weapon nearly getting broken before getting to a bonfire. You guys are treating it like you're going through several sets of weapons, like there's nary a bonfire in sight! It's not even an issue, you're all just knee-jerking mechanicphobes with little to no patience for actually managing your equipment.

This is why we can't have complex game mechanics in AAA games, because we whine about how crazy it is that our weapons are almost breaking before a repair point.

Also, no, weapon durability isn't increased with upgrades.

Ouch sorry i was just making a point how my weapons didnt degrade so badly in vanilla when I played on 360. I'm not complaining was this really something that they did on purpose or what

Steel

Banned
Ouch sorry i was just making a point how my weapons didnt degrade so badly in vanilla when I played on 360. I'm not complaining was this really something that they did on purpose or what

It's something they have no intention of fixing. Basically a carry over of the 60 FPS PC version. It's a bug not a feature, but one they can't be arsed to fix.

taoofjord

Just fought the first boss in Lost Bastille... there's a hidden door shortly afterward with a treasure chest and one of those exploding guys. He ended up destroying the chest, can someone tell me what I missed out on?

My second meeting with a certain special someone in the crypt, does my answer to "his" question affect the ending? Wiki didn't say. Thanks in advance.

That's because it is a fundamentally different mechanic that happens to share the same name. Here, it is meant to put weapons on the same bonfire-based cycle as Spells and Estus.

Oh yeah. I was like "I need to repair my weapons every time???" until I realized the bonfire automatically repairs your equipment.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just fought the first boss in Lost Bastille... there's a hidden door shortly afterward with a treasure chest and one of those exploding guys. He ended up destroying the chest, can someone tell me what I missed out on?

Rouge water, IIRC.

Mejilan

It's something they have no intention of fixing. Basically a carry over of the 60 FPS PC version. It's a bug not a feature, but one they can't be arsed to fix.

They did fix it. Modders discovered that that in the DX11 version of the game (and presumably the PS4 and XBO versions), From has delinked weapon decay and framerate.
Then went on to notice that From doubled decay across the board, presumably because they liked the balancing.

So it may have been a bug back in the DX9 days, but it's definitely a feature now. :)

Neoweee

They did fix it. Modders discovered that that in the DX11 version of the game (and presumably the PS4 and XBO versions), From has delinked weapon decay and framerate.
Then went on to notice that From doubled decay across the board, presumably because they liked the balancing.

So it may have been a bug back in the DX9 days, but it's definitely a feature now. :)

The modder says that, but another person that did testing says otherwise. Nobody knows what the fuck is going on, basically.

Mejilan

Shortest, maybe NOT the easiest, but definitely not the hardest, and Chalice "progression" is a low point for the series. I mostly breezed through the Defiled area, but I can't finish just move on to the next for some BS reason.

The chalice dungeons are fucking garbage, but if you've mastered the gun's stagger-parry mechanic, the entire game turns into a joke. Some of the worst chalice dungeons are just slightly less of a joke than all the rest. /shrugs

Neoweee

The chalice dungeons are fucking garbage, but if you've mastered the gun's stagger-parry mechanic, the entire game turns into a joke. Some of the worst chalice dungeons are just slightly less of a joke than all the rest. /shrugs

I want to see Dark Souls 3 do away with the parry mechanic as we know. Like, change it to just a defensive move rather than one that leads to giant damage hits. Boss fights where parrying is effective turn into some of the dumbest boss fights I've ever seen, and that goes for Dark Souls 1, 2, and Bloodborne. They all have some really dumb fights as a result, and making parrying "harder" (which Dark Souls 2 tried) is not a good answer.

Hypron

There are tons of bosses that can't be parried though

MrHoot

There are tons of bosses that can't be parried though

Yeah, i really don't get that critic. Litteraly the same thing in Das1 too for some bosses, notably gwyn. Yeah, once you mastered parrying, a lot of the game becomes a breeze, but that's kinda what i like about it.

Although hell, i'm replaying both DaS2 since SotfS came out and a new BB game. Despite being shorter, BB just feels so muc more satisfying throughout. Really wish there was some better pvp options to keep a post game going tho.

Right now reached Aldia's keep in DaS2. I like what they did with the catacombs. I'm looking forward to dragon aerie too as it's one of my favourite places

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Having played through DaS1, BB and now this over the last month or so I have to say that this is my favourite by quite a margin. I played DaS1 the old school way with a shield and walking around all slow and found nothing wrong with that, had a blast. Then BB came around and everything was so much faster, diving around without a shield was a blast and I had a great time but it just didn't have much replayability. Now I've been hardcoring DaS2 for the last week playing the BB style with no shield and going for maximum manoeuvrability with a massive 2 hander and it's been the most fun out of the lot. There is also so much more content in DaS2 in comparrison to the other ones that after almost 40 hours of playing my guy I've style not finished my first play through, just got to the 2nd piece of the "dlc". Some screenies of my adventure here.

Edit: Oh yeah I played the whole game naked (not irl heh).

trying to do a low soul memory so i can PVP with the most people but...man do i really have to spend 20k souls to get the delicate string? that's a 10% bump in my SM alone right now -_-

i forgot how much good shit the brotherhood of blood vendor sells tho. hm trying to balance buying enough to have fun and staying low enough for fights in the range i want is difficult. idk why the hell from did this. but at least we have the agape now

burgerdog

I just got to amana and I only have 5 estus flasks. I'm either skipping too much shit or they really want you to suffer in this game. I'm been popping life gems like if they're blood vials. Doing the exact same thing, too. Using all left over souls after leveling up on gems/vials.

Loving the DLC so far. I'm at like...the Eternal Sanctum one. Much better than the base game. There's even an elevator shortcut! The game also heard me talking shit about its bosses. The first one is kicking my butt. I'm never good at multiple enemies and people shooting shit at me. This has both.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I just got to amana and I only have 5 estus flasks. I'm either skipping too much shit or they really want you to suffer in this game. I'm been popping life gems like if they're blood vials. Doing the exact same thing, too. Using all left over souls after leveling up on gems/vials.

You have certainly missed a few flasks. I have 4 and have only cleared the Forest of Giants and Heide Tower...

Kalnos

Banned

I had 5 before I killed ruin sentinels. Get branches and go unpetrify shit.

I'm trying to summon Lucatiel in No Mans Wharf but her sign isn't where it's supposed to be. What do i need to do? I've spoken to her in No Mans Wharf as well as the Lost Bastille

burgerdog

You have certainly missed a few flasks. I have 4 and have only cleared the Forest of Giants and Heide Tower...

I had 5 before I killed ruin sentinels. Get branches and go unpetrify shit.

:lol Oh god, I'll clean up every area next time I play. I'm just rushing past everything, making a bee line toward the shortcuts and bosses. I mean, it's not a problem, I'm nearly done with the main game and I've been fine with the flasks that I have, but having more will be nice.

I played through this game in its original state on 360. Never played the DLC. How soon into the game is it accesable. And how do you get to the DLC areas

I'm playing offline and there's a Dev message that says "Don't you dare" near a lightable statue in the
Undead Crypt (underneath the bridge, which seems strange considering the guys that aggro from light aren't present
. Should I light it? :p

Santiako

I'm playing offline and there's a Dev message that says "Don't you dare" near a lightable statue in the
Undead Crypt (underneath the bridge, which seems strange considering the guys that aggro from light aren't present
. Should I light it? :p

Summons several npc red phantoms. Do it!

can great combustion be found in the wild or do i have to buy it from the brotherhood?

is lost sinner NG+ hard in this version? i did it on vanilla pretty easily but im only level 50 now with 22 of those points poured into adp. i kinda want flame weapon tho

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The modder says that, but another person that did testing says otherwise. Nobody knows what the fuck is going on, basically.

somebody on Reddit claims to have emailed Namco and they said it was working as intended, but those sorts of things are easily faked

my advice is to carry a couple repair powders. since mobs in grave of saints apparently don't despawn anymore (I assume for gameplay reasons because of the ratbro covenant), you can farm as many as you need forever

or just use more than one weapon

i don't mind the durability. they give you three weapon slots. sure it means less armor on but so what, you want the 3 damage types available to you at most times anyway, and there are lots of low weight weapons that hit hard as hell like longsword, hand axe, i played both versions but it only really was an issue at the games beginning especially when i picked deprived.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
also you can always just drop a small soapstone and kill a few dudes for somebody else to get your weapons to full

Hypron

BB plat took me 2 weeks with 50something hours. i think that's fine. you basically played non-stop for 5 days if what you say is true.

Yeah. And the length to plat a game doesn't mean anything. The other games in the series take longer to plat only because you need to farm shit. Take out the farming and they are easier. I got the DeS plat in ~40 hours by duplicating stones for those stupid weapon achievements (I did everything else legit including getting the pure bladestone). There wasn't anything hard at all about that plat apart from being bored to death killing the same enemies for 4 hours in a row.

Furthermore, the Chalice Dungeons are harder than anything you need to do in the Souls games to get the plat.

also you can always just drop a small soapstone and kill a few dudes for somebody else to get your weapons to full

tru dat. i forgot you could simply hit that door in FOTFG for the small one until today, i skipped it thinking there was a key for some reason. i forget how you join the dragonbros, is that an endgame covenant from aeirie? i just got the red soapstone so i'ma see how this handles me, if i finish smelter off i'll try bellbroing. is flash sweat available before him?

i'ma be streaming all night, come talk to me GAF :D hopefully i find some fun pvp although i need some soul levels first to do some decent damage

http://www.twitch.tv/sonicxtreme/

Heysoos

So I managed to make my way to
Undead Purgatory
, survived the
scary ass ambush of the tall dudes
, only to get my ass handed to me by the
dark spirit invader thing
How do I guard against him just knocking my shield off? He just knocked my shield off while I measured him up and proceeded to three shot me. :|

Undead Purgatory
, survived the
How do I guard against him just knocking my shield off? He just knocked my shield off while I measured him up and proceeded to three shot me. :|

Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity.

Real answer: he probably used the shield break move. It has a pretty long tell/wind-up.

Heysoos

Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity.

Real answer: he probably used the shield break move. It has a pretty long tell/wind-up.

meh just cheesed him
with arrows, he stopped following half way through the bridge and just let me hit him with arrows

partyboy

Undead Purgatory
, survived the

If you just stand up close to an NPC invader (well any invader) with your shield up you're going to get shield break'd, which is what it sounds like happened to you. With the NPC ones it's easy enough to just hold the shield up, get up close, and then take it down. Try and bait the break.

That NPC seems particularly vulnerable to backstabs, that or my Engraved gauntlets triggered when I one-shot him with one.

So what do I do to get into Drangleic Castle in this version? I ran past the two 'bigger' enemies then wiped out everything up the top but it won't open, only the statue on the left is in position but the right one will not budge.

So that dragon in Heides Tower was a little surprising. Not finding an easy way to kill him either

Well he's easy to clear on his own as long as you don't have a tail. Get up close to his hind legs and smack him a few times. He's relatively well scaled to the area so he goes down fast. You just need to dodge that first breath of fire.

bobawesome

It was refreshing going back to the world of Dark Souls II after finishing up Bloodborne. I'm in the minority but I have to say I enjoy it much more overall.

So what do I do to get into Drangleic Castle in this version? I ran past the two 'bigger' enemies then wiped out everything up the top but it won't open, only the statue on the left is in position but the right one will not budge.

Kill an enemy next to the statue so the "soul" flows into it.

Heysoos

So that dragon in Heides Tower was a little surprising. Not finding an easy way to kill him either

The area right before you got to the dragon up there, were there was one of those big giant knight dudes and an item? The little walkway that is broken. Well, I just shot him from there. You just have to get him to poke his head up.

Get'sMad

The dragon at Heides is fine...all the other changes they made there are kind of shitty though. In general I've been 50/50 on the tweaks they've made but then again this game was already a total love/hate one for me since going through it a few times last year.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat L
ost
S
inner
on my first try. I'm reading about it online now and apparently it's considered a pretty hard fight? I thought it was relatively straightforward to just roll through her attacks and swing at her during her recovery animations. Also that entire area is pretty short, which was a bit of a letdown.

Edit: Where should I go next? The areas I've beaten so far are:
Forest of Fallen Giants, Heide's Tower, Cathedral of Blue, No Man's Wharf, Lost Bastille, Sinner's Rise.

Top Bottom