• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Did I make a mistake finishing the last boss without finishing the DLC first? Does it change anything at the end? Played vanilla DS2 so much that I sort of went on autopilot and completed the game before even touching the DLC hehe. Oh well, I'll do it all on NG+ if it changes stuff.

pa22word

Did I make a mistake finishing the last boss without finishing the DLC first?
No. Just keep on keeping on, forever if you want. If you want to start a NG+ I think you have to head to the bonfire in Majula and there will be an option for it.

I haven't played the DLC yet entirely, but you might have missed some flavor text or something from nashandra, because I think her dialog changes if you do something or another.

Another thing: how many bosses did you fight? Supposedly SotFS adds another boss at the end.

Man, was watching a walkthrough to see the items I missed and holy crap
Shrine of Amana
looks WAY easier in OG Dark Souls 2. Ive died SO many times here lol

Victrix

*beard*
Finished my blind run, a little over 70 hours total, and I didn't even 100% it. Checking wikis on some stuff confirmed I missed several optional super bosses and a few regular ones, plus who knows how many items/weapons/spells, and whatever exists in NG+

Great game, if you haven't played this for whatever reason, grab this version, the graphics look great, 60fps feels wonderful, and there is an insane amount of variety possible for builds, plus really nice ng+/replay support.

If you're staying away because ~the internet~ told you it was bad, ignore the chatter. The worst part of the game is the first few hours, and the worst areas in the game are early on. The later areas are incredible, on par with the best zones in any of the souls games or BB.

addyb

So I'm just about to head down the pit having done
forest, cathedral, tower, bastille, shaded woods, sinners rise, hunters, harvest and earthen peak

I'm now all of a sudden tempted to respec from my dex build to a caster as I've never been one since demons.

Stupid idea at this stage? Should I wait for NG+ with the risk that I might not fancy playing it again straight after.

If viable any tips?

Braag

Oh right... Iron Passage. I forgot how much I hate this place T_T

Did I make a mistake finishing the last boss without finishing the DLC first? Does it change anything at the end? Played vanilla DS2 so much that I sort of went on autopilot and completed the game before even touching the DLC hehe. Oh well, I'll do it all on NG+ if it changes stuff.

Happened to me as well.. I completely forgot after the
throne watcher and defender
Nashandra
start immediately. I really wanted to do the DLCs first, I hadn't killed
Vendrick
either so I missed out on the
scholar
as well :/
NG+ then I guess.

Added spoiler tags.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Shrine of Amana
. Water that slows you down, crawling enemies that are hard to see in the water, a couple of NPC invasions, tons of caster enemies, a few heavy knights, a few hippos, some dragon-people melee enemies. Oh, a handful of powerful pyromancers on the upper levels.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I managed to get across this area relatively easily after getting stuck in the section after the second bonfire for a few tries. The key is fishing each enemy one by one with arrows: poison arrows are totally OP. Fire four arrows, poison the enemy, hide until it's dead.

The area boss,
Demon of Song
, is a total pushover, though. I used the summon sign of
Felicia the Brave
and used
her
as a meatshield. I fired some poison arrows to the boss's face until it was poisoned, and then finished it off with my Lightning Heide Knight Sword +10. Easy peasy... although I can't shake the feeling that this fight is a complete letdown after such a potentially hard section.

Blinck

Shrine of Amana
. Water that slows you down, crawling enemies that are hard to see in the water, a couple of NPC invasions, tons of caster enemies, a few heavy knights, a few hippos, some dragon-people melee enemies. Oh, a handful of powerful pyromancers on the upper levels.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I managed to get across this area relatively easily after getting stuck in the section after the second bonfire for a few tries. The key is fishing each enemy one by one with arrows: poison arrows are totally OP. Fire four arrows, poison the enemy, hide until it's dead.

The area boss,
Demon of Song
Felicia the Brave
and used
her
as a meatshield. I fired some poison arrows to the boss's face until it was poisoned, and then finished it off with my Lightning Heide Knight Sword +10. Easy peasy... although I can't shake the feeling that this fight is a complete letdown after such a potentially hard section.

On my first playthrough of DkS2 I actually found Shrine of Amana quite easy - because I had an upgraded bow and poison arrows.

Seriously, if anyone is having trouble with this area, just get a bow and upgrade it. Just having a bow makes the area much easier. If you have a bow AND poison arrows, it makes the area a cakewalk.

Great looking area btw, one of my favorites in the entire game. The mood is just amazing.

I can see why some people are frustrated by it though. If you are going meele only or something like that it is probably a huge pain in the ass.

EDIT: To be honest, EVERYTHING in Dark Souls 1 and 2 is much easier if you have an upgraded bow and poison arrows.

takriel

Finished my blind run, a little over 70 hours total, and I didn't even 100% it. Checking wikis on some stuff confirmed I missed several optional super bosses and a few regular ones, plus who knows how many items/weapons/spells, and whatever exists in NG+

Great game, if you haven't played this for whatever reason, grab this version, the graphics look great, 60fps feels wonderful, and there is an insane amount of variety possible for builds, plus really nice ng+/replay support.

If you're staying away because ~the internet~ told you it was bad, ignore the chatter. The worst part of the game is the first few hours, and the worst areas in the game are early on. The later areas are incredible, on par with the best zones in any of the souls games or BB.
Level design and atmosphere is not as good as the other games, no. And there are pretty boring areas in the mid-game, as well.

Blinck

Level design and atmosphere is not as good as the other games, no. And there are pretty boring areas in the mid-game, as well.

I agree in level design and atmosphere ( although sometimes it's on pair as well ), but regarding the "boring areas", while it's true, let's not forget Lost Izalith, Crystal Caves,Tomb of the Giants. Dark Souls had some pretty mediocre areas as well. I think that overall, DkS2 is more consistent in quality, and didn't go down to the levels of the worst areas in Dark Souls 1.

I also think it's by far the one with the most and best variety in character building in the entire series.

New game + additions is also pretty awesome and adds quite a bit of replayability to an already highly replayable game!

Neoweee

Shrine of Amana

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The area boss,
Demon of Song
Felicia the Brave
and used
her

Wait. You were trying to fight Dark Lurker before that area?

=(

pa22word

This thread is really frustrating to post in.

I'm trying to figure out how to word my post in a way that I can give proper context to not unintentionally spoil someone, but the name of the boss is considered a spoiler here, the name of enemies are considered spoilers, the name of the area is considered a spoiler, and I think even the contents of my characters lunch box might be considered "questionable territory".

Is there a "spoiler" thread for this game anywhere?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I'm trying to figure out how to word my post in a way that I can give proper context to not unintentionally spoil someone, but the name of the boss is considered a spoiler here, the name of enemies are considered spoilers, the name of the area is considered a spoiler, and I think even the contents of my characters lunch box might be considered "questionable territory".

It was the same in the BB thread, I'll never understand how a boss name is a spoiler but that's me

Jito

Banned
Holy hell, fighting the R
at Vanguard
, with just my fist was insanely difficult. So many fucking rats!

Bitch Slap powers on though.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Wait. You were trying to fight Dark Lurker before that area?

=(

I'm SL150, with relative good gear, and haven't been having any issue with any other boss so far. My problem with
the Darklurker
isn't really a matter of leveling or lack of overall skill. It's just that I can't manage having the two enemies firing at me at the same time, while trying to land even one hit on one without having the other kill me with an off-screen attack. The randomness of the boss doesn't help either. It's not like I can say "Well, it attacked with this move, so it's going to attack with this other one now, which will give me a window to counter with a quick slash or magic". No. Each copy of the boss does whatever it wants, whenever it wants.

I've given up on trying to kill it right now. I'll go back to it once I'm around SLVL250, since that seems to be the tactic of choice for melee characters: being able to hit it hard enough before he gets the chance to split to avoid the chaotic second part of the fight as much as possible.

KodaRuss

I'm SL150, with relative good gear, and haven't been having any issue with any other boss so far. My problem with
the Darklurker
isn't really a matter of leveling or lack of overall skill. It's just that I can't manage having the two enemies firing at me at the same time, while trying to land even one hit on one without having the other kill me with an off-screen attack. The randomness of the boss doesn't help either. It's not like I can say "Well, it attacked with this move, so it's going to attack with this other one now, which will give me a window to counter with a quick slash or magic". No. Each copy of the boss does whatever it wants, whenever it wants.

I've given up on trying to kill it right now. I'll go back to it once I'm around SLVL250, since that seems to be the tactic of choice for melee characters: being able to hit it hard enough before he gets the chance to split to avoid the chaotic second part of the fight as much as possible.

Darklurkker was hell for me trying to kill him the first time around as an all melee. Hardest boss in the series for me.

Hugstable

Banned

What? I've been posting boss names all the time and noone has said shit to me lol

KodaRuss

It felt really good killing the Pursuer again. That guy killed me so many times the first time I went through DS2. It was my first souls game at the time and I almost quit until I beat him finally.

Saved the video because it felt so easy this time after playing through DS1 and just getting the platinum on Bloodborne.

Hugstable

Banned
It felt really good killing the Pursuer again. That guy killed me so many times the first time I went through DS2. It was my first souls game at the time and I almost quit until I beat him finally.

Saved the video because it felt so easy this time after playing through DS1 and just getting the platinum on Bloodborne.

You are gonna have a few surprises when you reach Lost Bas ;D

MrHoot

I really do hope we get some durability fix from a mod or something since my weapons of choice would be the old whip or incantation/dance-dance-revolution trident, and both lose durability like crazy :(

Joey Ravn

Banned
The more I play Dark Souls II, the less I like it.

I don't think I can deal with other players invading me anymore. I still want to read soapstone messages and blood pools, but, damn. I'm fucking tired of being invaded every 30 minutes, even having NEVER sinned in this game. Specially since everyone I come across seems to be extremely overpowered and is either lagging or outright cheating. I am landing hits on them, but they don't count. I lost count of how many times I lost progress in an area because someone decided to interrupt my game without my consent. (I know that you can burn Human Effigies in bonfires to prevent invasions, but it's not a solution when I have to jump from bonfire to bonfire, as effigies are limited and require farming.)

Yes, I know: it's part of the game. But it also was part of Dark Souls 1 and I never had any issue with it. I could play the game hollowed without any risk of invasions, or I could choose to become human and deal with the extra risk of attracting invaders. But in Dark Souls II you are forced to be invaded all the time. It's just another example of how FROM understand that "frustration = hard".

I honestly don't want to force myself to go offline, but I'm not having any fun at all. Every step I take seems to be a massive "fuck you, player" from FROM. The whole "hard but fair" adage went out of the window with this sequel, if you ask me. I think I'm done with this game for now. I'll go back to Pillars of Eternity, and with GTA V (pre-loaded!) and Mortal Kombat X on PC this week, I think I rather play something that I'll enjoy instead of trying to prove myself that I can bear Dark Souls II.

Divius

image.php

addyb

So decided to re spec so I can have a hybrid build and use some magic. I've got the sunset staff. Any recommendations on what's good to use? Not used a staff since demons and even then it was mainly soul arrow and fire.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How much new content (in hours) is there in this version compared to the base PS3 version? Wondering if its worth replaying it all over again or not.

FarmerGiles

i think i am at like try 80 at A
ncient
d
ragon
insanly hard

Try sticking to his front right foot. They way I did it was to bait his fire breath move (where he breaths fire straight ahead, you'll need to position yourself in front of his head) that gives you more than enough chance to easily dodge the attack and get in a few attacks. You'll know when you've fucked up the bait if he get's ready to start flapping, in which case get your sprint on.

It's a pretty easy fight if you get in to the rhythm of bait and hit, and that move is probably the easiest one to bait, the the best one to take advantage of.

takriel

I agree in level design and atmosphere ( although sometimes it's on pair as well ), but regarding the "boring areas", while it's true, let's not forget Lost Izalith, Crystal Caves,Tomb of the Giants. Dark Souls had some pretty mediocre areas as well. I think that overall, DkS2 is more consistent in quality, and didn't go down to the levels of the worst areas in Dark Souls 1.

I also think it's by far the one with the most and best variety in character building in the entire series.

New game + additions is also pretty awesome and adds quite a bit of replayability to an already highly replayable game!

True, but I didn't find those areas in DkS 1 to be that mediocre as Harvest Valley, Earthen Peak, Iron Keep, Shaded Woods, Doors of Pharros, and Brightstone Cove Tseldora.

It's also true that DkS 2 has very good build variety and the best NG+ ever.

the Darklurker

This was my experience as well. I thought it was a fun boss with a decent moveset that felt good to dodge, and then it was completely ruined when it splits in two.
FWIW I managed to beat them only by jacking up my intel stat and then using that one magic sword spell (can't remember the exact name).

So if I can run the PC version maxed out just fine, does it just come to personal preference if I want to play it on the PS4? I could be wrong, but I remember hearing about some PC specific bugs regarding durability of weapons.

Just want to get the best experience possible.

flowsnake

So if I can run the PC version maxed out just fine, does it just come to personal preference if I want to play it on the PS4? I could be wrong, but I remember hearing about some PC specific bugs regarding durability of weapons.

Just want to get the best experience possible.

The durability change affects all versions that run at 60fps, PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I have a Fragrant Branch that I could use to either free
Straid of Olaphis
or just save for something else (i.e.,
grabbing the Estus Flask shard in the tutorial area
). Are there any weapons that are useful for me to grab using a boss soul? The bosses I've beaten so far are:
Last Giant, Pursuer, Dragonrider, Old Dragonslayer, Flexile Sentry, Ruin Sentinels, and Lost Sinner.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I just realized there are little red bars under your weapons on the main screen indicating durability of your weapon.

Also, why is he club better than the large club? The only good thing about large club is it staggers enemies easily.

addyb

So I have a Fragrant Branch that I could use to either free
Straid of Olaphis
or just save for something else (i.e.,
grabbing the Estus Flask shard in the tutorial area
). Are there any weapons that are useful for me to grab using a boss soul? The bosses I've beaten so far are:
Last Giant, Pursuer, Dragonrider, Old Dragonslayer, Flexile Sentry, Ruin Sentinels, and Lost Sinner.

Didn't know there was a shard there. I might head back and get that.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So if I own the vanilla PS3 disc and all dlc already, is the game patched up to match the content and features of the ps4/x1 port? No need to upgrade to a new copy with a purchase right? They released a scholar psn version at $40 on PS3, but that is just for newcomers right? Just curious how they handled vanilla players with this upgrade on consoles.

Edit: just saw the OP chart. Guess my PS3 version has been patched but is lacking some features exclusive to the new consoles still.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So if I own the vanilla PS3 disc and all dlc already, is the game patched up to match the content and features of the ps4/x1 port? No need to upgrade to a new copy with a purchase right? They released a scholar psn version at $40 on PS3, but that is just for newcomers right? Just curious how they handled vanilla players with this upgrade on consoles.

Edit: just saw the OP chart. Guess my PS3 version has been patched but is lacking some features exclusive to the new consoles still.

Yeah, PS3 patch does not add the new enemy positions, new game progression due to different items and yore branch locations, and new NPC invaders. I think it also doesn't get a few new weapons and pieces of gear.

I have a question about the rat covenant. I've been using it to PvP today just letting them clear the room and heal then show up and bow, duke it out etc. But sitting here waiting for the next person something occurred to me. I've seen a few people not manage to clear the first room and it made me wonder, what would happen if someone dropped a bonfire ascetic or two in there? It's almost too cruel to imagine.

Top Bottom