• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

RiggyRob

Ok, I've made a fair bit of progress - Creighton vs Pate is getting interesting, especially since if you talk to Cale he says that Creighton's the murderer, and Pate seems to have disappeared for a long time. Haven't found Lucatiel since The Lost Bastille either.

What's the deal with the man-scorpion past Shaded Woods? I lured out Vengarl's body to the arena but he didn't do anything. I also need a shitload of Fragrant Branches of Yore, there's two chests to open, one of which I assume has the key to the door in the trap hole, and there's a guy that says I need to become more Dark, so I assume I need more Int/Faith to talk to him?

I've got 3 Soul Vessels now and I'm seriously considering reallocating so that I can use greatswords, what's the best magic weapon/weapon to infuse elemental damage with?

Mistel

Banned
I've never used cheat engine, can't play online with that right?
Well you could but I wouldn't recommend it.
What's the deal with the man-scorpion past Shaded Woods? I lured out Vengarl's body to the arena but he didn't do anything. I also need a shitload of Fragrant Branches of Yore, there's two chests to open, one of which I assume has the key to the door in the trap hole, and there's a guy that says I need to become more Dark, so I assume I need more Int/Faith to talk to him?

I've got 3 Soul Vessels now and I'm seriously considering reallocating so that I can use greatswords, what's the best magic weapon/weapon to infuse elemental damage with?
You need the ring of whispers to talk to the man scorpion. There's a few it depends on what you want though: Dragonrider halberd, dragonrider bow, moonlight greatsword, and well any strong STR weapon really.

k1t4j

So I decided to grab the PS4 version of Scholar of the first Sin, for $20 seemed like a steal, in anticipation of Dark Souls 3. I only played the original release and have no clue what I should expect.

Goin to go out of my comfort zone and try some mix of magic and melee, I never touched magic in a souls game always Strg + Dex but this time I feel like trying something new.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Anyone want to help me with The Pursuer? I'm standing at the entrance to the fight right now.

I've selected a few white signs but the network is always timing out!! Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Ostinatto

Cheat engine will let you do it I believe but there's no option in the game.

thanks dude.

I haven't played this game for so long, i forgot how to get to bosses.

i've beated:

Last giant
the persuer
dragonrider
flexile sentry
ruin sentinel

i have zero branches left. where can i go next?

Mike M

Nick N
thanks dude.

I haven't played this game for so long, i forgot how to get to bosses.

i've beated:

Last giant
the persuer
dragonrider
flexile sentry
ruin sentinel

i have zero branches left. where can i go next?

Lost Bastille doesn't end with the Ruin Sentinel, there are another two areas immediately adjacent.

There's now someone in the pass between Majula and the Tower of Flame who can open a new route.

If you find a Fragrant Branch, you can open the pass to Shaded Woods.

Ostinatto

Lost Bastille doesn't end with the Ruin Sentinel, there are another two areas immediately adjacent.

There's now someone in the pass between Majula and the Tower of Flame who can open a new route.

If you find a Fragrant Branch, you can open the pass to Shaded Woods.

Thanks for the quick response, i will check that right now.

Nerokis

Just beat SotFS. Wow, I'm head over heels in love. The DLC was brilliant across the board, and the
ending
is so much better in this version of the game. I'm going to tie up a couple loose ends, mess around with a few things, and then I'm not sure if I want to start up NG+ or move on to Bloodborne.

Seriously, though. I was looking forward to checking out the DLC content, but I wasn't expecting it to be so good. It was quintessential Souls. I almost forgot how amazing it can be to experience Souls content for the first time.

March 24th can't come soon enough.

Finally beat Sinh, boy I found that tough! A few close fights both solo and with summons, though ended up beating it with summons. Some parts as melee were really aggravating though, I found I spent a huge portion of the fight just running towards the dragon, if I was really lucky I'd get a hit in, and then the thing was back up in the air again and flying to the other side of the area. Combine that with it's huge amount of hp... it's supposed to be weak to lightning by my +10 lightning infused heide knight spear would hit for around 310 or so 2H strong attack.

Now I've got Yorgh's spear and it seems... ok? At +5 it doesn't seem to be as powerful as my heide spear, and seems to be a cross between a lance and a halberd.

As an aside - that Agape ring... so cool! I'm sure it has some nefarious PVP uses, but for a co-op carebear like me it means I can hang around and co-op on my favourite bosses as much as I want without having to worry about soul memory. Helped a lot of people in Lost lost bastille and other places so far, one of my favorite parts of the game. Though I can't for the life of me figure out why they would put this ring on Straid... why doesn't Shalquoir just have it with the other special function rings...?

RiggyRob

After the success of Pimmsy vs. Bloodborne, I've decided to start another series, RiggyRob vs. Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin - here's the first episode, myself vs. Dragonrider: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwPtSkiDmE0

It was ironic that I decided to do this after I beat The Last Giant, which was exactly what happened with Pimmsy and Cleric Beast/Father Gascoigne, but ah well.

I was actually really annoyed I didn't get him on my first try, all because I didn't realise there are actually two levers you need to pull to raise the arena up. I also find that the moveset for the Dragonrider's Halberd you get when trading the boss soul is kinda pathetic, there's no satisfying crashes or feeling of weight when you swing it around compared to the greatswords/ultra-greatswords.

Mistel

Banned
Now I've got Yorgh's spear and it seems... ok? At +5 it doesn't seem to be as powerful as my heide spear, and seems to be a cross between a lance and a halberd.

As an aside - that Agape ring... so cool! I'm sure it has some nefarious PVP uses, but for a co-op carebear like me it means I can hang around and co-op on my favourite bosses as much as I want without having to worry about soul memory. Helped a lot of people in Lost lost bastille and other places so far, one of my favorite parts of the game. Though I can't for the life of me figure out why they would put this ring on Straid... why doesn't Shalquoir just have it with the other special function rings...?
Yorgh's spear is B/B scaling with 300 base damage non split like a Heide lance is but it really need STR investment to benefit then it gain quite a lot as DEX scaling is poor. As for the agape ring it's probably to guarantee a minimum of ~25K SM to cap it at the lowest SM you can start using it from.

DietRob

OK so I'm at Heide's Tower and I think I need to kill this Red Dragon to get to another switch. I can't get close enough to the dragon to attack it. I don't have any ranged weapons or magic spells I can kill him with from a distance.

Is there some kind of trick I need to get over there without becoming a roasted marshmallow?

Kalnos

Banned
^The easiest way is basically to just run up the stairs and continue running until your under him. You should be able to get there without getting hit by fire/dying. After that you just have to dodge a stomp attack thing and it's pretty easy.

Mike M

Nick N
He's sleeping to start with, that's pretty much your only window to close the gap before he starts with the fire. Once he's awake, the interval between attacks is short enough to make it damned hard to get in.

I just got a cheap bow and a bunch of arrows to cheese him from the lower platform.

Seriously, if you use a katana or Santa's spear in pvp you are a horrible degenerate scumbag who hasn't earned a legit victory. Yeah, I'm salty.

Mike M

Nick N
Santier's Spear is interesting. The infinite durability is nice (great for wrecking tombstones in Undead Crypt without smashing my katanas to bits), and the moveset being a combo of halberd and twin blades is fun for me. But the lack of scaling seems to make it kind of crap before too long, unless you want to make a Mundane build and take it down that path.

Mistel

Banned
But the lack of scaling seems to make it kind of crap before too long, unless you want to make a Mundane build and take it down that path.
You're a few years too late for that mundane got nerfed long ago you would either go raw or enchanted for it.

I'm up to Grave of Saints and the Gutter now. Just wondering how big they are, if they're small I'll smash them out tonight, otherwise I'll just do a bit of something else and save them for tomorrow.

Hate leaving halfway through a zone :p

Buraindo

I'm up to Grave of Saints and the Gutter now. Just wondering how big they are, if they're small I'll smash them out tonight, otherwise I'll just do a bit of something else and save them for tomorrow.

Hate leaving halfway through a zone :p

Grave of Saints is really, really small. The Gutter however is fairly big, you should definitely take your time exploring it since there's plenty of items worth getting in there.

Ostinatto

Which Pharros doors are worth opening near the big rat boss area? i remember that area having some cool weapon behind those doors. but im playing SOTFS now, is the same loot from vanilla?

M.D

Could anyone give me tips on where to go next? It's been so long since I've last played and I'm trying to get back into the game

I'm at the iron passage and also have 2 other ways to go IIRC (the dark room and the downstairs if you take the elevator), but I'm finding all these area to be frustrating for now. The other area I remember is the Shaded Woods with the fog and I'm not sure what to do there.

Other than that I've cleared a lot of other areas. I remember the door that requires to produce the symbol of the king and have yet to go down the ladder in Majula, but other than that I'm not sure what else is available.

RiggyRob

Which Pharros doors are worth opening near the big rat boss area? i remember that area having some cool weapon behind those doors. but im playing SOTFS now, is the same loot from vanilla?

Royal Rat Authority? I think you open the middle lock stones for the three segment doors (one is on the floor rather than the wall), you get Santia-blah blah's Spear and a large soul of a warrior IIRC.

Mistel

Banned
Could anyone give me tips on where to go next? It's been so long since I've last played and I'm trying to get back into the game

I'm at the iron passage and also have 2 other ways to go IIRC (the dark room and the downstairs if you take the elevator), but I'm finding all these area to be frustrating for now. The other area I remember is the Shaded Woods with the fog and I'm not sure what to do there.

Other than that I've cleared a lot of other areas. I remember the door that requires to produce the symbol of the king and have yet to go down the ladder in Majula, but other than that I'm not sure what else is available.
Iron passage is optional DLC content it is endgame content. You should either continue through the forest to the area beyond it or down the ladder.

"You have been signed out of PSN. Returning to title menu"

That's what greets me everytime whenever I try to start the game. I have to sign out or disconnect the internet to start the game.

Incidentally, when playing Bloodborne, I'm also being met with "You are currently offline." and starts the game in offline mode.

I don't think this is a coincidence. Asia server - I thought it was a connection issue but now I'm leaning more towards a server issue. Anyone playing in the Singapore/HK region?

DietRob

^The easiest way is basically to just run up the stairs and continue running until your under him. You should be able to get there without getting hit by fire/dying. After that you just have to dodge a stomp attack thing and it's pretty easy.

I guess I need to hold off on this because my stamina isn't nearly good enough to keep a run going that long. I've tried getting under this dragon 10+ times and just can't make it. By the time I get to about the midway point on the bridge to the dragon's platform I'm engulfed in flames and die after being 'hit' with the fire 3 times.

Where should I head to instead so that I can continue to build up my character?

Mike M

Nick N
I guess I need to hold off on this because my stamina isn't nearly good enough to keep a run going that long. I've tried getting under this dragon 10+ times and just can't make it. By the time I get to about the midway point on the bridge to the dragon's platform I'm engulfed in flames and die after being 'hit' with the fire 3 times.

Where should I head to instead so that I can continue to build up my character?

Seriously, get a bow, a lot of arrows, and shoot him from the lower platform. It's not quick, but it's easy to dodge the fireballs he spits at you (just run for cover when starts to wind up.).

It's a dead end anyway (though there is s covenant.). From the tower with the three Old Knights just before hand, head right instead of left for the progression along that route.

Tarkus

"You have been signed out of PSN. Returning to title menu"

That's what greets me everytime whenever I try to start the game. I have to sign out or disconnect the internet to start the game.

Incidentally, when playing Bloodborne, I'm also being met with "You are currently offline." and starts the game in offline mode.

I don't think this is a coincidence. Asia server - I thought it was a connection issue but now I'm leaning more towards a server issue. Anyone playing in the Singapore/HK region?
Bamco servers in NA were shit last weekend. Can't explain Bloodborne though.

6for8

Had a friend that kept adding another + to his NG and I would receive a message every couple of days "Iron passage?" He would beat the entire game at max NG in a few days but that area had him looking for coop. Save it for later.

There are a few nice items in the mist but it's easy to get lost as it is very.....misty. To get through it to the next area
enter and keep the wall on your left. If you keep trying to go left you will head up out of the mist.

Checked your trophies and it appears that it's PC so our coop streak is dead. Maybe Dark 3?

Not sure what to level up.

VGR 30
END 20
VIT 29
STR 20
DEX 14
ADP 26 (100 AGL)

ATN/INT/FTH haven't been touched.

Maybe it's time to go all in on strength. Using a Bastard Sword+7 right now but even if I stick with that for the time being, higher strength at least lets me use a greatshield.

Mike M

Nick N
I've been summoned like a dozen times to fight the ancient dragon, only succeeded once. At least I usually survive and it's the host getting wasted. Thing has a ridiculous amount of HP when you've got a horde of phantoms with you.

Mistel

Banned
Not sure what to level up.

VGR 30
END 20
VIT 29
STR 20
DEX 14
ADP 26 (100 AGL)

ATN/INT/FTH haven't been touched.

Maybe it's time to go all in on strength. Using a Bastard Sword+7 right now but even if I stick with that for the time being, higher strength at least lets me use a greatshield.
Invest in STR if you want but if you do go get a proper STR weapon to use. Plus you could go to the END soft cap of 49 if you do decide to go for something heavier.

Invest in STR if you want but if you do go get a proper STR weapon to use. Plus you could go to the END soft cap of 49 if you do decide to go for something heavier.

What weapon would you recommend? Just made it to Drangleic Castle, and am now at 33 strength with Bastard Sword +10 and Tower Shield +7.

I'm torn between the drakekeeper greataxe and the zweihander and the standard ultra Greatsword. I like the look of the axe but which weapon has the best moveset? They all seem pretty cool.

Mike M

Nick N
Finally succumbed to the superiority of STR weapons in PvE and took the Dragon Tooth to +5. Smashes Drake-keepers in two hits.

Kinda shit for me in PvP or against NPC invaders, but I chalk it up to being unfamiliar with using slow hitting weapons against enemies that display AI routines beyond just rushing me down.

Mistel

Banned
I'm torn between the drakekeeper greataxe and the zweihander and the standard ultra Greatsword. I like the look of the axe but which weapon has the best moveset? They all seem pretty cool.
Zwei has the arguably better moveset. But you might want to try the Gyrm Greataxe it's a faster greatsword but only a bit weaker but it's not got any sweet spot issues like a drakekeeper greataxe does.
What weapon would you recommend? Just made it to Drangleic Castle, and am now at 33 strength with Bastard Sword +10 and Tower Shield +7.
Get a Mastodon Greatsword you can get one right there in Drangleic castle near the King's Gate.

Buraindo

I think you meant VIT. END soft cap is at 20.

Zweihander has the better moveset in my opinion.

Finally succumbed to the superiority of STR weapons in PvE and took the Dragon Tooth to +5. Smashes Drake-keepers in two hits.

Kinda shit for me in PvP or against NPC invaders, but I chalk it up to being unfamiliar with using slow hitting weapons against enemies that display AI routines beyond just rushing me down.

STR weapons take a bit of getting used to but once you do they can be very rewarding. I finished the Dragon Covenant with the King's Ultra Greatsword.

Top Bottom