• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

D. Dark

Alright I need advice for what weapon would be good for pve and decent for pvp. So far ive been using my bastard sword +10 and while I love its moveset im ready to move on better things, also I made a mistake and leveled the dark pyromancy flame which I thought was better for its S scale, however it deals less damage than the regular pyromancy flame. So far ive beaten shrine of amana which was a pain as a melee user but with the help of some npcs I managed. Btw did I screwed something since I killed all the ogres in things betwixt and I didnt get the stone ring :( .

Mistel

Banned
Alright I need advice for what weapon would be good for pve and decent for pvp. So far ive been using my bastard sword +10 and while I love its moveset im ready to move on better things, also I made a mistake and leveled the dark pyromancy flame which I thought was better for its S scale, however it deals less damage than the regular pyromancy flame. So far ive beaten shrine of amana which was a pain as a melee user but with the help of some npcs I managed. Btw did I screwed something since I killed all the ogres in things betwixt and I didnt get the stone ring :( .
A claymore from Vengarl should be a good replacement for a bastard sword. Did you kill the first outside the hut?

Mike M

Nick N
I freed the dude in Aldia's keep : (

I knew I shouldn't, but I'd never got that far in vanilla and didn't know it was *that* switch : (

I would be glad to help you if you like. But she is very resistant to most magic. Melee hit and run best option imo

Finally got her! Thanks for the offer though! Just got lucky, basically the time when I finally got her she never summoned Velstadt, she did 3 waves of the 5 skeletons which I find are easier to manage. Helped a few people do her co-op afterwards, and she is definitely more manageable if you have someone who takes out the adds, the NPC's tend to ignore them. Host + NPC/summon on the boss while I took out the skeletons practically assured victory.

Of course... there is still the next 2 bosses to die on ;)

Buraindo

After a very long hiatus from the game, finally got into SotFS that I picked up on the Steam Sale. WOW, this game still holds up great, it was very easy to lose 60+ hours into it so far just trying different builds and exploring everything to find my way into the DLC.

On the first DLC, Crown of the Sunken King now, really good stuff. The feeling when I opened that first real shortcut that led back from the lake at the bottom to the first bonfire in Shulva... shades of chapel/firelink there for me.

That queen boss though, so tough! And no one else seems to be really playing in this area to summon, I have only the one NPC and she dies quickly. I guess it doesn't help that even though this is probably my favorite franchise I'm terrible at it... I rarely die but that's not because I'm good, it's because I go super-slow and I cheese everything possible, and do maximum summons for every boss. It makes this boss (who summons help herself) real tough!

Any hints for this boss? (and one of her summons being Velstadt...!)

Well, I'm always available for summoning, if you want. My Steam ID is in my profile.
In any case, the best way to approach Elana is to hit her and then run away as soon as the she starts her attack animations. Avoid her fireballs and beware of her high damage dark attacks. Also, if she summon skeletons leave one alive. She shouldn't use her summoning ability again that way.

EDIT: Nevermind

D. Dark

A claymore from Vengarl should be a good replacement for a bastard sword. Did you kill the first outside the hut?
Yeah I killed all of them, no idea why It didn't drop the ring oh well, ng+.any build I should follow for the claymore? I tried putting some points in INT and so far not a fan of sorceries, are hexes any better? Should I infuse the claymore with any element if I decided to respec for a hex build?

My main is a hexer. My weapons are infused with dark stones. I use the silverback spear and silverback sickle as backup both with dark stones. Then I use Black Witch Staff cause it cast all hexes and acts as a chime for miracles and staff for sorceries.

Novocaine

Finally got her! Thanks for the offer though! Just got lucky, basically the time when I finally got her she never summoned Velstadt, she did 3 waves of the 5 skeletons which I find are easier to manage. Helped a few people do her co-op afterwards, and she is definitely more manageable if you have someone who takes out the adds, the NPC's tend to ignore them. Host + NPC/summon on the boss while I took out the skeletons practically assured victory.

Of course... there is still the next 2 bosses to die on ;)

Will give you a tip, the boss after the queen is much harder if you summon, or at least that's how I found it. Try it solo.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah I killed all of them, no idea why It didn't drop the ring oh well, ng+.any build I should follow for the claymore? I tried putting some points in INT and so far not a fan of sorceries, are hexes any better? Should I infuse the claymore with any element if I decided to respec for a hex build?
Well a claymore is quality scaling same as the bastard sword C/C so just invest in STR more as that's the better returns of the pair but some dex won't hurt but wont contribute as much. If you have more STR already just skip the claymore and go to the stronger STR focused Mastodon greatsword. You can infuse with dark if you do go to hexes but it does lower the scaling, it depends what you dislike about them.

Skatterd

Just got the English version of the Dark Souls II Design Works from Amazon today :)
Wasn't expecting it yet, pretty hyped to look through it. Anyway else get it?

Novocaine

Just got the English version of the Dark Souls II Design Works from Amazon today :)
Wasn't expecting it yet, pretty hyped to look through it. Anyway else get it?

I want to get both of them. Are they worth the moneys? I have to import them.

They would probably look nice next to the Future press guides. Also it looks like Bradygames is getting the license for DS3 guide. Bummer, those Future press guides are really nice.

Skatterd

I want to get both of them. Are they worth the moneys? I have to import them.

They would probably look nice next to the Future press guides. Also it looks like Bradygames is getting the license for DS3 guide. Bummer, those Future press guides are really nice.

If you're a fan of the series, absolutely imo. The early designs and interviews are great stuff. I just learned in the DS2 one that
The Duke's Dear Freja was originally supposed to split into two spiders halfway through the fight.

Jombie

Did a no death / no bonfire run a last night; had done a couple of them with the vanilla release. I hope they do something similar with the rings in Dark Souls 3.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Did a no death / no bonfire run a last night; had done a couple of them with the vanilla release. I hope they do something similar with the rings in Dark Souls 3.
I have never done those, but I hope they make them trophies now, so that I can see the Plat hunters who beg for rare weapons etc. get all butthurt that they'll need to work for it now. :D

Hmm I don't know what stats to level up now.

Got my ADP to 26 which gives me 100 AGI, then my VGR to 30 and END and STR to 20.

I could level VIT but heavier gear and more defense doesn't really seem to help that much in these games.

Maybe I'll just pump everything into STR :p

Alchemy

All UGSwords usually attack in the direction you tilt your left stick. yes, even when you lock on to an enemy in front of you, you can actually hit an enemy behind you if you push your stick in that direction.

Just learn not to touch the stick while hitting R1.

I didn't have my left hand on the controller at all. The analog stick was completely neutral. Try again.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Which is why I said, "stop using the Greatsword", hah.

Ultra great swords, great axes and large clubs all have this wonky moveset. I don't like it.

Man I miss the Dragon Bone Smasher. Best UGS ever.

Which is why I said, "stop using the Greatsword", hah.

Ultra great swords, great axes and large clubs all have this wonky moveset. I don't like it.

Man I miss the Dragon Bone Smasher. Best UGS ever.

The DBS was something else. When nearly every hit knocks enemies onto their butts it makes you feel really powerful.

Have 2 soul vessels now, so how do the stat requirements for NPCs work?

Like I know I need 9 INT for the guy in No Man's Wharf, will he stop talking to me if I then respec back to 1 INT? Or do I just need to talk to him once with 9? Or just have had 9 at some point and not even need to talk to him?

And who are all the NPCs, all I know atm is that guy and the boss weapon guy in Bastille that requires 3.

Buraindo

Have 2 soul vessels now, so how do the stat requirements for NPCs work?

Like I know I need 9 INT for the guy in No Man's Wharf, will he stop talking to me if I then respec back to 1 INT? Or do I just need to talk to him once with 9? Or just have had 9 at some point and not even need to talk to him?

And who are all the NPCs, all I know atm is that guy and the boss weapon guy in Bastille that requires 3.

You need to have at least 8 INT when talking to Carhillion in the Wharf for him to move to Majula and sell spells.
He will still sell you spells if you respec to less than 8 INT after he's become available as a merchant.

Is heavy armour mainly used for the poise? I have an Alonne Knight set now which lowers my defense a little, but my poise jumps from 66 to 91.

You need to have at least 8 INT when talking to Carhillion in the Wharf for him to move to Majula and sell spells.
He will still sell you spells if you respec to less than 8 INT after he's become available as a merchant.

Alright so he's a one time thing, sweet.

What about the boss soul guy that needs 3?

Mike M

Nick N
Finished up Aldia's keep tonight. Area's visually interesting, what with the foyer and hallway of caged monsters, but there's just not that much to it, which is a shame. Once you get in the manor, it's a straight shot to the end. The acolytes are nominally performing experiments, but there's only the one room that even looks like it would serve that purpose, and the butcher table next to the hole above the acid pit. The acolytes are jobbers, the caged monsters are ridiculously impotent when you have multiple doorways that they can't fit through, and the boss is a pushover. Worst I had it was getting invaded while dealing with one of the Forlorn.

Not sure if it's a glitch or not, but the mirror squires just kinda sat there and let me hit them until they died if I got behind them during their shattering of the mirrors and tagged them as soon as they were vulnerable. I'd always recover enough stamina to hit them again before they could react.

Final bridge to the boss had a cool view, at least.

Mistel

Banned
Is heavy armour mainly used for the poise? I have an Alonne Knight set now which lowers my defense a little, but my poise jumps from 66 to 91.
Are you comparing stock for stock armor? Alonne Knight armor is more of a medium set it's actually quite good for when you get it.

Are you comparing stock for stock armor? Alonne Knight armor is more of a medium set it's actually quite good for when you get it.

Do you mean like un-upgraded? If so yeah, I haven't touched any armour.
I counted it as heavy because it puts me just under 70% :p
Currently upgrading my equip load though.

Mistel

Banned
Do you mean like un-upgraded? If so yeah, I haven't touched any armour.
I counted it as heavy because it puts me just under 70% :p
Currently upgrading my equip load though.
It's a medium armor its your low equipload that's the problem but it's one of the best armors for poise to weight ratio though.

Tarkus

Finally got the PS4 version. The Pursuers are actually a challenge this time. What a great game at buttery smooth 60 fps.

Firebrand

About to start SotFS after picking it up on the Steam sale, anything noteworthy that has changed in the mechanics? I hear lightning was nerfed, but is str > dex, and are blunt weapons still superior on most early bosses? I kinda liked the spear in DS2 but sadly it didn't poke a whole lot of damage.

Doing surprisingly well with getting summoned at such a high Soul Memory tier. Sinner's Rise and Iron Keep seem to be the hotspots. The best part is seeing a load of other Sunbros summoned at once because they're clearly grinding for medals too.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
About to start SotFS after picking it up on the Steam sale, anything noteworthy that has changed in the mechanics? I hear lightning was nerfed, but is str > dex, and are blunt weapons still superior on most early bosses? I kinda liked the spear in DS2 but sadly it didn't poke a whole lot of damage.
That's mostly unchanged. Two-handed spears can be quite good, I mained those and halberds in my Scholar playthrough and did well. Lots of stunlocking power too.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So I'm at The Pursuer bossfight and I'm getting my ass handed to me over and over again. How can I team up with someone to battle this dude. There are all kinds of notes on the ground saying I should but I'm not sure how to do it.

Help! I'm WhatRobEats on PS4 if anyone wants to join me to help out.

Mike M

Nick N
So I'm at The Pursuer bossfight and I'm getting my ass handed to me over and over again. How can I team up with someone to battle this dude. There are all kinds of notes on the ground saying I should but I'm not sure how to do it.

Help! I'm WhatRobEats on PS4 if anyone wants to join me to help out.
You have to be human to summon.

For the actual boss fight with the meter and everything, the ballistas will destroy a massive portion of his life bar of you hit him.

On the subject, the Pursuer is weirdly undeveloped. He's so prominent in the game, but there's practically nothing about him in the story beyond the item descriptions of his soul and gear, which tell us nothing. Best guess, maybe he's one of the Iron King's golems tasked with rounding up the undead? Who knows.

DietRob

You have to be human to summon.

For the actual boss fight with the meter and everything, the ballistas will destroy a massive portion of his life bar of you hit him.

I was just human before my latest death a few moments ago but I didn't see any white text. The white text is what I need to select to call someone in right?

Mike M

Nick N
I was just human before my latest death a few moments ago but I didn't see any white text. The white text is what I need to select to call someone in right?
Yeah. You won't always find people, though. The hot spot will be the Cardinal Tower bonfire, maybe a few people dropping signs outside the boss door.

DietRob

Yeah. You won't always find people, though. The hot spot will be the Cardinal Tower bonfire, maybe a few people dropping signs outside the boss door.

Is there a way to invite specific people into my game or do I just have to rely on luck of the draw and someone putting a sign down?

Also is it possible to play the whole game or a large portion of it with someone else or does the game limit how often/long you can have a companion?

Thanks, sorry if these are dumb questions but I usually get frustrated with these games and sell them well before I get far enough to learn anything.

Mike M

Nick N
Is there a way to invite specific people into my game or do I just have to rely on luck of the draw and someone putting a sign down?

Also is it possible to play the whole game or a large portion of it with someone else or does the game limit how often/long you can have a companion?

Thanks, sorry if these are dumb questions but nI usually get frustrated with these games and sell them well before I get far enough to learn anything.
There's a ring that if both players equip the same way increases their probability of seeing each other's summon signs, but even then it's still dependent on luck of the draw and the Soul Memory system.

Phantoms will stay for a long while, but disappear after the boss is defeated. Shades last something like 12 minutes minus some amount of time for the number of souls collected.

DietRob

Ah ok. Thanks for the break down. I'll try again tomorrow night to see if I can get some help with that floating knight dude

Top Bottom