• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
what way am i meant to go after arriving in majula? i headed towards the forest of giants and got to a bonfire in a tower where a merchant sells the blacksmith key. once i went back to majula i headed towards Heide's tower area but kept dying to those huge knight guys. got so frustrated i stopped playing.

i've read you should go through Heide's tower first? or should i just go back to forest area and progress beyond the bonfire? i hope this is just the same mistake i made in DS1 after arriving at Firelink. i tried going through the graveyard skeletons instead of going towards undead burg.

Novocaine

what way am i meant to go after arriving in majula? i headed towards the forest of giants and got to a bonfire in a tower where a merchant sells the blacksmith key. once i went back to majula i headed towards Heide's tower area but kept dying to those huge knight guys. got so frustrated i stopped playing.

i've read you should go through Heide's tower first? or should i just go back to forest area and progress beyond the bonfire? i hope this is just the same mistake i made in DS1 after arriving at Firelink. i tried going through the graveyard skeletons instead of going towards undead burg.

Forest is the easier zone to do.

RiggyRob

Episode 38, myself vs. Ancient Dragon: https://youtu.be/0wPqJRgkL2M

I had to use my fully upgraded Rebel's Greatshield and I still ended up taking hits from his fire breath attack. I just don't see how you're supposed to avoid it unless you get lucky running to one side of the arena like I managed once.

Ordinarily I wouldn't have killed him since killing a dragon who doesn't bear any ill will to you doesn't sit right with me, but I'd heard that he was simply an optional boss, so I figured I'd go ahead and see what he dropped. Fucking
Soul of a Giant!

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, maybe - still sucks though, you have to deal with bosses that are bigger, have a longer reach and more powerful attacks, they shouldn't be so much quicker too.
Then you wouldn't have many of the better bosses.
Heide depends a lot on your equipment some classes have it easier than others but there's stuff in Majula that can help you.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Finally back to Dark Souls after a week of only tweaking the Framemeister for retro gaming godness. Anyways, I did as recommended here, and killed Throne Watcher and Throne Defender on fourth try, and Nashandra on my first. So what do I do know if I dont want to finish the game, but go kill the dragon and Vendrick. The doors are blocked and there is a huge light in the room that I probably can enter, but I dont have the courage to try it out if that finish the game. Will a homeward bone work?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Aww should have killed Vendrick first, now you won't see
Aldia
unless you use a bonfire ascetic (and that respawns TW&D and Nashandra)... oh well you aren't missing out that much, not such a great boss.

Morfeo

Aww should have killed Vendrick first, now you won't see
Aldia
unless you use a bonfire ascetic (and that respawns TW&D and Nashandra)... oh well you aren't missing out that much, not such a great boss.

Was afraid you would say that, am i fucked though? Got this tip last week about how to finish up the last stuff:

If you haven't gotten the item from the dragon, you can't tackle Vendrick (well, you shouldn't at any rate). There's a bit more item chaining BS to collect before it becomes feasible.

You could probably do the throne without problem. I'd actually recommend doing that before the endgame
lest you get stuck in a boss rush of final bosses.

Edit: Well, I tried using a homeward bone, which didnt work, tried to kill myself, which didnt work either. So i took the throne, and now got the credits, which interestingly enough says i played Sholars of the first sin (which i did not). But giess me loosing out on three bosses means I need to play that Scolars when i eventually get a decent pc (or a ps4) as well :)

Anyways, like i already wrote a few times in this thread, I think Dark Souls 2 is an absolute classic, and one of the best games Ive ever played, even though it doesnt quite reach the heights of either Demons Souls or the original Dark Souls. Demons Souls is still my favorite in the series, for its very tight level design. That game simply had no filler, and while the original Dark Souls had higher highs (like O&S), it also had a lot of pretty bad levels, particularly towards the end. Dark Souls 2 on the other hand, have fewer stand out levels, even though the end from Drangelic to the throne is really awesome. I also think the boss quality in general is a bit lower here, with a lot of real pushovers, including the final boss which i defeated without any real strategy. Still, levels like the Lost Bastille, Shrine of Amano, Forest of the Fallen GIants, Huntsmans Corpse and the Iron Keep are all really memorable, as is quite a few of the bosses like the repeating gargoyles, the Smelter Demon, the Executioner and Velstadt. So yeah, a great game, and Im looking forward to play through the remastered version in a year or two!

Edit 2: Wtf, I can still play? Might have to give that dragon a try then!

RiggyRob

Then you wouldn't have many of the better bosses.

The rule in my head is: if they're the same size as me, they get to be quick, if not they should be slower. If they're quick but can be parried properly, then that's fine too
even though I never parry.

Was afraid you would say that, am i fucked though? Got this tip last week about how to finish up the last stuff:

Edit: Well, I tried using a homeward bone, which didnt work, tried to kill myself, which didnt work either. So i took the throne, and now got the credits, which interestingly enough says i played Sholars of the first sin (which i did not). But giess me loosing out on three bosses means I need to play that Scolars when i eventually get a decent pc (or a ps4) as well :)

Anyways, like i already wrote a few times in this thread, I think Dark Souls 2 is an absolute classic, and one of the best games Ive ever played, even though it doesnt quite reach the heights of either Demons Souls or the original Dark Souls. Demons Souls is still my favorite in the series, for its very tight level design. That game simply had no filler, and while the original Dark Souls had higher highs (like O&S), it also had a lot of pretty bad levels, particularly towards the end. Dark Souls 2 on the other hand, have fewer stand out levels, even though the end from Drangelic to the throne is really awesome. I also think the boss quality in general is a bit lower here, with a lot of real pushovers, including the final boss which i defeated without any real strategy. Still, levels like the Lost Bastille, Shrine of Amano, Forest of the Fallen GIants, Huntsmans Corpse and the Iron Keep are all really memorable, as is quite a few of the bosses like the repeating gargoyles, the Smelter Demon, the Executioner and Velstadt. So yeah, a great game, and Im looking forward to play through the remastered version in a year or two!

Edit 2: Wtf, I can still play? Might have to give that dragon a try then!

Yeah, you don't automatically go to NG+, so you can go and tie up any loose ends you still have left.

Morfeo

Stay on its hind legs, when he starts flying run toward the shadow of its tail, the fire will never hit you. Just don't stay under the tail so that it doesn't all on you when he gets down.

Hmm, this is what I have been doing, but i still get hit by the fire about half of the times. Guess I need to practice the timing.

RiggyRob

At last, the final fight(s) - episode 39, myself vs.
Nashandra & Aldia, Scholar of the First Sin
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMNni4Nhdo4&index=39&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o220tYgbvVwwkDNMCTrHt0C

No editing for this one unfortunately since I lost the footage locally, but luckily I was streaming to Twitch at the time so I still have the fights.

All in all, Dark Souls II is a pretty decent game - doesn't reach the heights of Bloodborne, but I can see areas of quality. The main thing I'm taking away from it is that it felt bloated - just going by our video playlists, there's at least 39 bosses, which isn't even counting the ones I didn't record AND the NPC invaders.

Not only that, you have the main goal of obtain 4 Great Souls and progress to Drangleic Castle to meet the king, but there's another 1/3 to 1/2 of the game left at that point! Compare that to Bloodborne, which is smaller in scope but felt a lot more cohesive and tighter in design. To be fair though, the themes and backdrop to Bloodborne have instantly made it one of my Top 5 games ever, which doesn't even have 5 games in there at this point.

Looking forward to Dark Souls III - our Let's Play series/boss fight videos should be coming soon(ish) to an OT near you!

Hmm, this is what I have been doing, but i still get hit by the fire about half of the times. Guess I need to practice the timing.

You could try using a Fire-infused shield to block 100% of the damage as well.

Mistel

Banned
The rule in my head is: if they're the same size as me, they get to be quick, if not they should be slower. If they're quick but can be parried properly, then that's fine too
even though I never parry.
That's a rather limiting view of bosses.

Saya

Making my way through the last of the DLC, the Crown of the Ivory King. I jumped in a coffin and slided down to the Frigid Outskirts... man fuck that place. Worst area in the whole game for me.

Sulik2

Outside of getting agility to 110 asap to fix the I frames is there anything else super important to remember about builds in this game?

Mistel

Banned
Outside of getting agility to 110 asap to fix the I frames is there anything else super important to remember about builds in this game?
DEX is weaker than STR and strike is the dominant damage type and you probably will be fine with 100 to 120 agility.

Morfeo

So I finally killed the motherfucker aka the Ancient Dragon. Unfortunately, I had to cheat it a bit.

First, I unequipped all my stuff, only had stamina and attack-based rings, leveled up a new weapon (Gyrm Axe) for maximum damage - aaaaaand went in there dying probably 30 times. I used the strat where I was standing around his hind legs, hacking, and then running towards his tail when he went up in the air. However, with the way he moved around, his tail would always end up outside of the arena, trapping me between the fire and the height - if i was even able to escape the fire at all. I was once able to get about half of his health, meaning i probably could have managed, but i instead went for a really cheap strat that i found at another forum. Basically, just stood between his toes and hacked away, which triggered his foot stump, then went for the other foot and did the same. Repeat untill he was dead. Even this was not completely reliable, but it was enough so that I killed him in many 5 or 6 tries. So yeah, he is dead. Vendrick next!

Morfeo

And Vendrick down on fourth try. This guy was underwhelmingly easy after that dragon. So big and slow that you had to seriously mess up to get hit.

So, can I use a bonfire ascetic to revive nashandra and fight the true last boss?

Mistel

Banned
And Vendrick down on fourth try. This guy was underwhelmingly easy after that dragon. So big and slow that you had to seriously mess up to get hit.

So, can I use a bonfire ascetic to revive nashandra and fight the true last boss?
Vendrick is completely hollow so he is far weaker than you'd expect and you can do that with the ascetic.

Nothing worse than thinking you already killed an enemy only for them to kill you.

Also, I saw a few post a while back saying Bloodborne shark well encounter made it's way into this game. What was that referring to? I'm guessing the 2 gargoyles on the Archives roofs? If so, they were nowhere near as bad.

EDIT: Oh wrong thread. Ignore this.

Morfeo

Yep, that'll work.

Vendrick is completely hollow so he is far weaker than you'd expect and you can do that with the ascetic.

Gotta say that double fight is pretty hard with all the hp they have now. Last time I was able to take out one, and then rush the other, but they have to much hp for that to work now before reviving its parter. Meaning i have to fight them completely different than last time.

Chitown B

Yep, that'll work.

If I kill N, but not A - will I still technically have beaten the game and be able to go to NG+? Or must I beat A? You don't get any souls or achievements from beating him, so I'm kinda "meh" on that.

edit: so I went into the N fight and got hit by a beam, which was basically insta-death. I had an online summon plus two other summons. When I died, it just sat there and wouldn't load or anything. I had to force quit the game. Anyone else ever have this? Video:

http://xboxclips.com/Shadow+XBL/47edc552-ed0f-4ae3-b837-603bc4b95df1

Morfeo

If I kill N, but not A - will I still technically have beaten the game and be able to go to NG+? Or must I beat A? You don't get any souls or achievements from beating him, so I'm kinda "meh" on that.

edit: so I went into the N fight and got hit by a beam, which was basically insta-death. I had an online summon plus two other summons. When I died, it just sat there and wouldn't load or anything. I had to force quit the game. Anyone else ever have this? Video:

http://xboxclips.com/Shadow+XBL/47edc552-ed0f-4ae3-b837-603bc4b95df1

You can go to NG+ after beating Nashandra, I have the option, but want to kill the Scholar first.

Sulik2

Wow transitioning from six months of Bloodborne back to Dark Souls is really hard. So many habits and timings that I am trying to use from Bloodborne that just don't work. I keep forgetting my shield, trying to parry at range and attempt to forward step behind enemies. The combat in these games is more different then I realized.

Morfeo

Finally managed to kill Throne Watcher and Throne Defender late last night with the ascetic, and man, this fight was crazy hard this time, but I also really liked it. It was a fight where it wasnt that hard to avoid damage and get in a hit or two once in a while, but i basically had to be perfect to win, since just one mistake would most of the time be enough to kill me. This required a lot of patience of course, but I finally did it after after 40 tries or something. Definitely the O&S of this game for me, although I never did check them out in NG+ (which i guess is what i basically played here). Also killed Nashandra again almost as easy as last time, that final boss is terrible. Anyways, the real final boss on the other hand, seems really hard. Melee is out of the question with his high fire damage, so i guess its time to level up my bow and buy some better arrows, but those fire balls are brutal with the one-hitting. Any tips?

Chitown B

Finally managed to kill Throne Watcher and Throne Defender late last night with the ascetic, and man, this fight was crazy hard this time, but I also really liked it. It was a fight where it wasnt that hard to avoid damage and get in a hit or two once in a while, but i basically had to be perfect to win, since just one mistake would most of the time be enough to kill me. This required a lot of patience of course, but I finally did it after after 40 tries or something. Definitely the O&S of this game for me, although I never did check them out in NG+ (which i guess is what i basically played here).

yeah for some reason this fight was rough for me. Usually it was near the end where I'd die because they both had lightning weapons and if one hit me the other followed and it was over.

Mistel

Banned
yeah for some reason this fight was rough for me. Usually it was near the end where I'd die because they both had lightning weapons and if one hit me the other followed and it was over.
The watcher uses magic whilst the defender uses lightning as you can parry both you can focus on the defender then go after the weaker watcher.

Morfeo

Yeah, it wasnt that hard the first time around, but going directly to the stronger NG+ version without playing through the game (and leveling) again, was rough.

Chitown B

so I beat Nash, and after Aldia came of course - but I kinda just want to see the credits and get the achievement. Any way to skip him or am I stuck having to beat him first?

edit: never mind, I beat him.

I started this the other day and there's something about it that feels... off.

It's like something has been streamlined but actually feels worse and I can't quite put my finger on it. Like just swinging your weapon feels very different to DS1 and Bloodborne (the other ones I have played).

Also parry timing seems to have completely changed so that's something I'll have to get used to as well.

Morfeo

One thing about DS2 is that the controls felt less responsive than in DS1. Also, if you were out of stamina in DS1, and pressed attack (or roll or whatever), your character would attack when he got the stamina to do so, while here it cancels out. Meaning the controls are a bit less "commited" if that makes sense.

Sulik2

I hate this freaking Pursuer fight. I messed up killing him after getting the balista to hit him once and have failed ten times since then. This fight shouldn't be as difficult as it seems. I just went to the tower area and took down the first Dragonrider first try. Fight was easy. Something about the Pursuer just annihilates me.

Chitown B

I hate this freaking Pursuer fight. I messed up killing him after getting the balista to hit him once and have failed ten times since then. This fight shouldn't be as difficult as it seems. I just went to the tower area and took down the first Dragonrider first try. Fight was easy. Something about the Pursuer just annihilates me.

he's fast and unpredictable sometimes. you'll get him. summon someone if you need to.

Mistel

Banned
That too :p

I'm still enjoying it and looking forward to playing it but your character feels streamlined yet slower and less precise at the same time.
That's not streamlined at all then 2 is generally regarded as a bit floaty in regards to movement whilst the weapons vary dramatically on precision especially if you use lock on.
One thing about DS2 is that the controls felt less responsive than in DS1. Also, if you were out of stamina in DS1, and pressed attack (or roll or whatever), your character would attack when he got the stamina to do so, while here it cancels out. Meaning the controls are a bit less "commited" if that makes sense.
There is still negative stamina like within DS1 in DS2.

Chitown B

That's down the elevator then yeah?

Could have sworn I explored everything there. How do I defeat the shadow enemies by the way? I just ran past them.

A) There is an elevator you unlock by looping around through the area which will take you back to the very first bonfire. Then you go down the other elevator and it'll take you to the stairway leading to the central castle area.

B) You have to destroy their coffins. Once you do that they become corporeal and easy. You can still kill them in spirit form though, it just takes longer.

Morfeo

That's not streamlined at all then 2 is generally regarded as a bit floaty in regards to movement whilst the weapons vary dramatically on precision especially if you use lock on.

There is still negative stamina like within DS1 in DS2.

Maybe so, but it definitely felt like it was tweaked somehow.

Top Bottom