• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

I use the Agape Ring until I started feeling like I'm too powerful for the soul memory tier. Then I take it off and move up to the next tier and so on.

O nice. I never used it, since I co-oped I'd just level up indefinitely because once I reach that 15mill SM I'd be paired with people up to 99mill SM. Plus I needed lots of levels if I wanted to power-stance KUGs while wearing Havels torso and legs, engraved gauntlets, and smelter demon helm. I think I was like level 250 or 300 or something lol.

I felt like in SOFTS almost everyone used the Agape Ring, so it's was basically like every Souls game, minus 1 ring slot.

Also, arenas are matched by SL in SOTFS.

If the were doing quality builds and PvPing most likely they would have been using Agape ring, I never did Arena I didn't really get into PvP till Das 3.

He's mostly fine until he starts doing the 4 hit combo with the flame sword. I can't usually roll 5 times in a row to avoid it.

Here's my sad victory over him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvNgvfGb5es

His combos are deadly, but that's what makes beating him even tastier.

Arkanius

So, I'm at the end game, just got the Giant Kinship.

Should I kill Vendrick and do the DLCs or do the DLCs first and kill Vendrick?

Also, is there a way to prevent

Starting Nashandra right away after I kill the Throne watchers? I want the best ending and I need to kill Vendrick first

So, I'm at the end game, just got the Giant Kinship.

Should I kill Vendrick and do the DLCs or do the DLCs first and kill Vendrick?

Also, is there a way to prevent

Starting Nashandra right away after I kill the Throne watchers? I want the best ending and I need to kill Vendrick first

Yes, there is. However...
You already did it. Getting Giant Kinship is what causes the Nashandra fight to activate.

ugh, is fume knight optional? I can't even get to the bonfire near him because of the damn giant thing blocking the big door

tower key also opened 2 doors, should I go for the one right by the foyer bonfire first or what

Iron passage is optional and Sinh has corrosive skin.

ah okay, guess I'll level up a short backup weapon of some sort

H1xw5t6.jpg

here's the bonfire I was talking about the other day btw, no idea what it is

edit: ugh sinh is giving me such a hard time, I've gotten him down to like 5% too and just nope. I feel like I already know all of his tricks too so it'll just come down to luck

sinh down, fume knight or iron passage next?

edit: nvm, iron passage is a co-op/challenge area like grave of the dead

only souls area i've ever skipped on purpose was grave of the dead and looks like I'm doing the same here. fume knight here we come

edit 2: "oh fume knight isn't that bad"

/transforms sword in to giant flaming deathdealer

HF2014

Beat Fume Knight and Sir Alonne last night. Kinda pissed there isn't an achievement specifically for Fume Knight. Hardest Boss I've fought.

Im at Fume Knight atm. Seriously how did you do it? You wear anything special when at half life his sword come fire and dark? He literally smoke me all the time, i think i died like 40 time easily, cannot go further.

And you are right, hes seriously one of the hardest boss from all Dark Souls combine!

HF2014

I picked this up on PS4 since it was cheap and I figured I'd play this before putting down more money on DS3.

Had a look online and a lot of people rate it the worst Souls game, so I feel sorta bummed. :(

Any opinions on this one before I open it?

I was one of them. Constantly basing it, hating it. But after giving it a fair chance with Scholar of the First Sin, i honestly change my mind. Its like day and night with what they done from vanilla Dark Souls 2 and SotFS, i can even compare it with Diablo 3 vanilla and now what it became. The 3 DLC also add a lot, bosses in them are very tough. Feel free also to follow the directive from ign guide, im using it just to point me where to go next. Havent beat it yet, near the end, but want to do the dlc first.

Iv pick it up for 20$, and seriously doesnt regret it one second. Even thinking i might enjoy it a little bit more than Dark Souls 3. Let say iv i got to rate all of em, Dark Souls got a 9.5/10, SotFS get a 9.3 and Dark Souls 3 get a 9.2. But before SotFS? Dark Souls 2 was like a 6/10 for me.

Open it and play with it, its good!

I was one of them. Constantly basing it, hating it. But after giving it a fair chance with Scholar of the First Sin, i honestly change my mind. Its like day and night with what they done from vanilla Dark Souls 2 and SotFS, i can even compare it with Diablo 3 vanilla and now what it became. The 3 DLC also add a lot, bosses in them are very tough. Feel free also to follow the directive from ign guide, im using it just to point me where to go next. Havent beat it yet, near the end, but want to do the dlc first.

Iv pick it up for 20$, and seriously doesnt regret it one second. Even thinking i might enjoy it a little bit more than Dark Souls 3. Let say iv i got to rate all of em, Dark Souls got a 9.5/10, SotFS get a 9.3 and Dark Souls 3 get a 9.2. But before SotFS? Dark Souls 2 was like a 6/10 for me.

Open it and play with it, its good!

Were the changes from the base game to scholar really that significant? What'd they alter?

edit: ugh stuck at the old chaos and fume knight now

After messing around with it and-- while "messing around" with it-- almost killing Sinh, I've decided that my new loyalties lie in... greatswords. Namely, this Drakeblood Greatsword. Holy shit. I've looked at opinions of it online and have seen some general negativity, but for a greatsword it takes much less stamina (I can swing it up to six times in a row) and hits like an absolute motherfucker. And, it's pretty fun. It seems to be a happy medium between the heavy and quick weapons. I like this.

So now I want to do a build with that in mind, and I enjoy the lightning elemental as it's cool and seems to be really powerful against most things in this game. What should I pump my stats into? As I said on the last page I'm level 150.

How do I get to Sir Alonne? Also the Frigid Outskirts, I'm assuming it's that building adjacent to the main castle?

Finally, how do I get more knights for the old chaos fight?

edit: you have to fight all the mobs each time for the boss fight? I haven't even made it to the boss yet, gonna break my damn controller

Saya

How do I get to Sir Alonne? Also the Frigid Outskirts, I'm assuming it's that building adjacent to the main castle?

Finally, how do I get more knights for the old chaos fight?

edit: you have to fight all the mobs each time for the boss fight? I haven't even made it to the boss yet, gonna break my damn controller

Ser Alonne: After defeating the Fume Knight, examine his armor in the throne room of the Iron Keep.

To get more knights for the Ivory King fight, just play through the Frozen Eleum Loyce level and you'll encounter them eventually. Make sure to get the blizzard snow storm out of the way first. There are three spread out through the level and you already get one of them automatically.

The mobs will respawn after a while, so in the harder areas like Grave of the Dead and Iron Passage you can use soul and item farming gear to kill them all and teleport back to the bonfire.

Saya

After messing around with it and-- while "messing around" with it-- almost killing Sinh, I've decided that my new loyalties lie in... greatswords. Namely, this Drakeblood Greatsword. Holy shit. I've looked at opinions of it online and have seen some general negativity, but for a greatsword it takes much less stamina (I can swing it up to six times in a row) and hits like an absolute motherfucker. And, it's pretty fun. It seems to be a happy medium between the heavy and quick weapons. I like this.

I love the greatswords in this game. So many options. I played through my first and now my second run using the Greatsword +10. It just destroys everything in its way. Even in NG+. And I feel like I'm Guts from Berserk while using it haha.

Mistel

Banned
It's generally negative as its a weapon that deals split damage and doesn't scale that well other than its low stamina cost its not really useful.

Ser Alonne: After defeating the Fume Knight, examine his armor in the throne room of the Iron Keep.

To get more knights for the Ivory King fight, just play through the Frozen Eleum Loyce level and you'll encounter them eventually. Make sure to get the blizzard snow storm out of the way first. There are three spread out through the level and you already get one of them automatically.

The mobs will respawn after a while, so in the harder areas like Grave of the Dead and Iron Passage you can use soul and item farming gear to kill them all and teleport back to the bonfire.
For the mob question I was referring to old chaos fight, although I guess it'll become manageable after I get all 4 knights.
I love the greatswords in this game. So many options. I played through my first and now my second run using the Greatsword +10. It just destroys everything in its way. Even in NG+. And I feel like I'm Guts from Berserk while using it haha.
I'm using the Drakekeeper's Ultra Greatsword, not as damaging as the standard one but looks a helluva lot cooler and that's all that really matters.

Arkanius

Finally finished SotFS after finishing Dark Souls 2 Vanilla back in 2014.

This is after I've played DS3. I prefer DS2 to 3. I think it pushed the envelope in terms of Dark Souls, DS3 is too safe and more of the same compared to DS1.

I'm now in the Sunken City (Left the DLCs for last), and gosh, what a giant jump in architecture/level quality compared to some of the previous areas.

HF2014

Were the changes from the base game to scholar really that significant? What'd they alter?

edit: ugh stuck at the old chaos and fume knight now

They change a lot of enemies location, items, adds blockpath like in Lost Bastille, add enemies to make area way more difficult , and add to that all the extra content from the DLC which have ( only played two dlc so far ) the hardest bosses in the games. Only little conplain is that all the bosses from the regular game doesnt really have increased difficulty, i found them nearly all pretty easy, but to get there, areas are way more difficult.

And now, im at about 60 freakin try for Fume Knight, the sob just dont want to go down!

Arkanius

They change a lot of enemies location, items, adds blockpath like in Lost Bastille, add enemies to make area way more difficult , and add to that all the extra content from the DLC which have ( only played two dlc so far ) the hardest bosses in the games. Only little conplain is that all the bosses from the regular game doesnt really have increased difficulty, i found them nearly all pretty easy, but to get there, areas are way more difficult.

And now, im at about 60 freakin try for Fume Knight, the sob just dont want to go down!

There are also a few more neat touches sprinkled throughout the game:

Ex: Hollow Soldiers attacking the giant trees in the Forest of the Fallen Giants.

okay, burnt ivory king is some grade a BULLSHIT

-have to fight a billion mobs to even get him to spawn so you're at 0 estus by the time he does spawn
-once he spawns he has a magical sword with a hitbox that would make the pursuer jealous

I beat ludwig, laurence and orphan of kos all solo, NG+ no problem but this guy makes me wanna rip my hair out

finally got him thank jesus

do boss souls transfer into ng+?

edit: trying to get to ser alonne, not sure why they make the path to get to the bosses so damn difficult in the dlcs

It's generally negative as its a weapon that deals split damage and doesn't scale that well other than its low stamina cost its not really useful.

I guess technically, but I'm having awesome results with it personally. I'm high DEX and its DEX scaling is at S. I beat Sinh last night with relative ease and so far I'm destroying everything in the Iron King DLC. The low stamina cost and the damage I'm doing is really adding up. That being said, despite having finished all of these games multiple times I'm still not super well-versed in the technicality of things, so while I'm liking the weapon there's no doubt I could be using something better.

I'm just completely oblivious as to what. I know there's a Loyce greatsword coming up in the third DLC that's supposed to be really good but you get that for trading in the final boss soul of that area and for me that'll still be a little ways off haha

Yeah I'm having fun using it. I'm always open to better suggestions to make my life even easier, but as I said above I'm having good results with this one. Most of the enemies I've fought in the Iron King DLC so far have went down in a few quick hits with the Drakeblood.

finally got him thank jesus

do boss souls transfer into ng+?

edit: trying to get to ser alonne, not sure why they make the path to get to the bosses so damn difficult in the dlcs

Yes they do.

Regarding Brunt Ivory did you remember to
Find the three ivory knights? You start with one bro, but if you find three more, three of them will sacrifice their lives to block the hell gates, and one will fight alongside you.

Chitown B

Im at Fume Knight atm. Seriously how did you do it? You wear anything special when at half life his sword come fire and dark? He literally smoke me all the time, i think i died like 40 time easily, cannot go further.

And you are right, hes seriously one of the hardest boss from all Dark Souls combine!

Summon people. Keeps his attention. If you can't do that, just make sure you stay close to him when he's swiping his fire sword and roll the opposite direction of the swipe, around him while locked on. Just make sure if he raises his sword that you run away. After his last swipe, get a hit or two in, and then regain stamina.

Currently at 3.5M Soul Memory on Xbox One. Putting down my sign at the bonfire to help out people. GT: Shadow XBL

edit: to answer your question I use the Flame Quartz +3, cloranthy +1, Simpleton's Ring (ADP+5), and Third Dragon Ring so can wear the Havel's arms, legs, armor. However your main goal needs to be "don't get hit"

I'm 11 hours in and I've only just beaten Lost Sinner

Am I doing it wrong?

My total DS1 playtime incl DLC was like... 45h

No, DSII is a long game. My first complete playthrough of SotFS took 101 hours, and like you it took me around 50 hours to beat the first Dark Souls. Compared to me though 11 hours to get to Lost Sinner seems quite quick.

Top Bottom