• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

A) There is an elevator you unlock by looping around through the area which will take you back to the very first bonfire. Then you go down the other elevator and it'll take you to the stairway leading to the central castle area.

B) You have to destroy their coffins. Once you do that they become corporeal and easy. You can still kill them in spirit form though, it just takes longer.

Hmm I can't find it for the life of me, I'll look up a guide to get through the Sanctum I guess. Honestly not too hot on this DLC, the panels are kinda annoying as a melee character and the 3 person boss is a complete bitch. Hopefully the other two are better.

edit: alright I managed to get to the lair of the imperfect, what now?

Chitown B

Hmm I can't find it for the life of me, I'll look up a guide to get through the Sanctum I guess. Honestly not too hot on this DLC, the panels are kinda annoying as a melee character and the 3 person boss is a complete bitch. Hopefully the other two are better.

edit: alright I managed to get to the lair of the imperfect, what now?

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Lair+of+the+Imperfect

You're on the right path. That area is just basically an item area. Nothing more. Watch out for the T-Rexes. Lol.

Follow the path around counter-clockwise and you'll come to a bonfire out in the middle of the water. Keep going and you'll get to an area that will take you back around to the start of the level (I think).

I can already tell sinh is gonna be a bitch and a half, ellara or whatever went down like a chump though

edit: maybe not? got him down to like 20% on my second try

SuperSah

Banned
I picked this up on PS4 since it was cheap and I figured I'd play this before putting down more money on DS3.

Had a look online and a lot of people rate it the worst Souls game, so I feel sorta bummed. :(

Any opinions on this one before I open it?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I picked this up on PS4 since it was cheap and I figured I'd play this before putting down more money on DS3.

Had a look online and a lot of people rate it the worst Souls game, so I feel sorta bummed. :(

Even the "worst" Souls game is still an amazing game. Don't worry, it's a great game with tons of content.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

It might be the worst Souls-game, but its still better than everything on the PS3 except the other Souls-games imo, and I dont see why that shouldnt also apply on the PS4.

Anyways, took a few days, but finally killed Aldia on my +1 bonfire intensity save. I have a feeling this fight would have been pretty easy if i had beaten Vendrick before beating Nashandra for the first time, but now, it was definitely one of the harder fights in the game. Only the Throne Defender and Throne Watcher, also on +1 intensity, and only the Belfry Gargoyles in the normal game was in the same league imo.

My strategy was purely ranged for this fight, so i ditched the axe and shield, and used the Dragonslayer Greatbow and normal arrows for the fight. This gave about 170 damage for each hit, and about 50 with his fire shield, meaning i probably had to hit him about 50 times to kill him. After dropping some of my equipement so that i could comfortably roll away from his giant one-hit kill fireball comfortably each time, the only real problem was when he spammed small fireballs, which would kill me if i got caught in a combo of them. Or i failed to think and rolled outside. Took probably 4 hours total and maybe 50 tries to play him perfectly and kill him, but guess it was worth it since I now finally can let this fantastic game to rest. 10/10, a+, would fuck etc. Awesome game, recommended for everybody, and definitely looking forward to give Scholars, Bloodborne and DS3 a try when I finally get a PS4!

Novocaine

It's a very polarising game. Play it and make your own decision, a lot of people also like it quite a bit (like me).

More consistent than DS1, if you enjoyed that game past the Lordvessel I'm sure you'll enjoy this one too. The beginning of a new character can kinda suck before your agility is high though.

edit: ugh I'm trying to get to the heavy iron key and can't even do that :/ fucking flame lizards

Need some help, wonderful gents.

I just started the DLC today (just got around to finishing the story before DS3, Platinum'd Uncharted 4, now back to DS2 w/intent of Platinum as well) and I am getting absolutely undeniably wrecked. I'm a little rusty, sure, but... not really, these games are very much second nature to me. I fought two bosses in the Sunken King portion, didn't even come close on either and the environments are pretty obnoxious (but cool!).

Anyway, here's my current build w/provided stat menu pic to make things easier:

EWhPnxU.jpg

Of course, using dex oriented weapons such as the Sun Sword, Fire Longsword, shit like that (those two are +10). I feel like I'm not doing as much damage as I'd like to be doing, and after watching some stuff on Youtube I'm just seeing dudes plow through assholes with awesome looking huge ass weapons. I've always played dex builds as I prefer that over slow, lengthy attacks, but I guess where I'm feeling a little fatigue on the series I'd like to change things up.

SO, anyone have any build recommendations? My MAIN FOCUS is to get through the DLC and however many NG+ runs I need to get all the "Master of..." trophies. I can do the stat reset thing a few more times. I guess I'm mostly looking for the following points:

-strong
-not too slow
-efficient for the DLC content

And of course Fashion Souls. Also with this in mind, if I get recommendations, I'm also unsure what all weapons/armor I'll find in the DLC content, so if there's any nice things with any of your recommended builds, a heads-up would be MUCH appreciated there as well. I found some kind of puzzle sword thing that's like a whip but it doesn't do too much damage.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Your build is a bit all over the place. You're spread too thin. If you want to go dex, focus on dex more (bring it to 40) and lower faith and/or int to base, or just enough for maybe a support spell like a weapon buff or something and put the rest into VIG to survive more hits.

You definitely need a good +10 weapon or two to get through the DLC. Katanas are always good, there's also a good curved greatsword if you want a bigger weapon. If you feel you aren't staggering enemies enough and trade hits too often, wear the stone ring.

Thanks, sounds good! Yeah I usually go for balance but that's not always ideal. I actually just now downed one of the bosses solo so that lifted my spirits a bit. I think I'll lower those things and raise Dex even higher. Do you think I should have good strength in addition to Dex or does it really matter?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks, sounds good! Yeah I usually go for balance but that's not always ideal.
In Souls games it never is, unless you're going specifically for a mundane build, but that's been nerfed anyway...
I actually just now downed one of the bosses solo so that lifted my spirits a bit. I think I'll lower those things and raise Dex even higher. Do you think I should have good strength in addition to Dex or does it really matter?

Depends on your weapon.

It's probably why I'm always just "okay" in these, like I get through them mostly fine but that's about it.

Have dex at 40 and strength at 18. Vgr at 35. One attunement slot. Int and faith at 10 (like using Soul Arrow/basic stuff as such, but magic is weak at these stats, I could sacrifice though). ADP at 25. Anything you'd change there before I pull the trigger?

Weapons wise I prefer quick striking swords which is why I usually go dex, and I like Spears/halberds as well.

Tarkus

It's probably why I'm always just "okay" in these, like I get through them mostly fine but that's about it.

Have dex at 40 and strength at 18. Vgr at 35. One attunement slot. Int and faith at 10 (like using Soul Arrow/basic stuff as such, but magic is weak at these stats, I could sacrifice though). ADP at 25. Anything you'd change there before I pull the trigger?

Weapons wise I prefer quick striking swords which is why I usually go dex, and I like Spears/halberds as well.
Your Sun Sword is the epitome of a quality weapon with its A/A scaling. If you like it a lot, do the Iron King DLC first so you can get the dex/hex version of it. You have the stats of a dex/hex hybrid, though you need some more slots. If you get VIT to 14, you can maximize a ring that gives you +50 damage.

Thanks for the advice-- honestly a little burned out on the Sun Sword but I'll use whatever is best. Does that version have a different name?

AH okay I'm familiar with the name now. I'll look for it for sure. My main problem with the Sun Sword was that I found it to have awful reach.

Tarkus

AH okay I'm familiar with the name now. I'll look for it for sure. My main problem with the Sun Sword was that I found it to have awful reach.
Fume is slightly better in reach. The weapon is criminally overlooked because of the other option for the soul.

It has its faults, but it's still a great game. I dislike a few things about it, but nothing that would make me never want to play it again.

Tarkus

It has its faults, but it's still a great game. I dislike a few things about it, but nothing that would make me never want to play it again.
It's my favorite for what I like to do: PvP

I really hope From keeps balancing DS3 because it's very close to being my favorite.

Eh, might keep it simple. Was more of a passing thought lol. Right now I'm just kinda like do I want strength, dex or a good balance of both with less stats into magic related things.

Arkanius

Whoa Dragon Keep is totally awesome in Scholar of the First Sin.

First if all they gave us back dragons flying in the air, and then, all those Dragon Knights watching you. Sublime.

SoTFs really added lot's of sprinkles to the lore.

drakeblood armor looks amazing holy shit

I was set on a mix of syan and velstadt with the drakekeeper helm but man... may need to reconsider

also I have a ???? area next to heide's tower of flame, anyone know what it could be? It only has 1 bonfire

Chitown B

Beat Fume Knight and Sir Alonne last night. Kinda pissed there isn't an achievement specifically for Fume Knight. Hardest Boss I've fought.

Ferr986

drakeblood armor looks amazing holy shit

I was set on a mix of syan and velstadt with the drakekeeper helm but man... may need to reconsider

also I have a ???? area next to heide's tower of flame, anyone know what it could be? It only has 1 bonfire

No Man's Wharf? Accesed by the tower after Dragonrider.

Whoa Dragon Keep is totally awesome in Scholar of the First Sin.

First if all they gave us back dragons flying in the air, and then, all those Dragon Knights watching you. Sublime.

SoTFs really added lot's of sprinkles to the lore.

Right? SotFS improved it a lot. Vanilla DaS 2 they'd attack you, and now they're dragonbros.

Beat Fume Knight and Sir Alonne last night. Kinda pissed there isn't an achievement specifically for Fume Knight. Hardest Boss I've fought.

Yeah, fume gave me the most difficulty of all bosses. The feeling when you solo him is so good. Then you watch a LobosJr video and you feel like trash D:

It's my favorite for what I like to do: PvP

I really hope From keeps balancing DS3 because it's very close to being my favorite.

Even with SM :p? Or do you use Agape Ring?

Tarkus

Right? SotFS improved it a lot. Vanilla DaS 2 they'd attack you, and now they're dragonbros.

Yeah, fume gave me the most difficulty of all bosses. The feeling when you solo him is so good. Then you watch a LobosJr video and you feel like trash D:

Even with SM :p? Or do you use Agape Ring?
I use the Agape Ring until I started feeling like I'm too powerful for the soul memory tier. Then I take it off and move up to the next tier and so on.

Top Bottom