• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

def sim

OH SHIT

I just got hit with that bullshit hitbox you guys keep showing in gifs haha. I dodged the blue sword curse thing, oh wait no I didnt, I teleport back to the stab animation... come on now From

welp this is embarassing, I cant kill him haha, and I just finished BB with every boss solo :p[/IMG]

You can take advantage of his canned animation attack by
placing him in range of the ballista and using it on him.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You can take advantage of his canned animation attack by
placing him in range of the ballista and using it on him.

oh he long destroyed the ballistas by that point :p

yeah, this is just silly. well, at least it reminded me how shit I am at these games, I guess bloodborne was a fucking anomaly (or its a easier game as I suspect)

Ill try again later, or just summon someone tbh

Looks like he catches your leg.

thats not my gif, but thats what happened. And come on now...really dude? youre gonna justify that? :D

Seanspeed

Banned
OH SHIT

I just got hit with that bullshit hitbox you guys keep showing in gifs haha. I dodged the blue sword curse thing, oh wait no I didnt, I teleport back to the stab animation... come on now From

welp this is embarassing, I cant kill him haha, and I just finished BB with every boss solo :p

edit: haha exactly this!

uUFGFm7.gif
Looks like he catches your leg.

DeaviL

Banned
OH SHIT

welp this is embarassing, I cant kill him haha, and I just finished BB with every boss solo :p

uUFGFm7.gif

Well you rolled too early then, it's not really an attack it's a grab.
So the painful part for many people here is realizing he nicked your leg and the grab succeeds, up on the sword you go.

Backstabbing for you works the same way, it now initiates a hit.
If the person you're using it on turns around, it still becomes a backstab.
Pretty sure they did this to make online grab moves work better.

OH SHIT

uUFGFm7.gif

who takes on persuer from the front? like guaranteed fail

edit:it clearly hits him in this gif and if you cannot accept that I don't know what to tell you

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man the slightly muted colours really..works, I was unsure at first but seeing more footage makes it look so good, fits the overall bleakness of the world itself, Drangleic being a crumbling kingdom and all.
nice stealth brag?

Yikes, I didn't really realise how condescending my post sounded at first.

Seanspeed

Banned
who takes on persuer from the front? like guaranteed fail

edit:it clearly hits him in this gif and if you cannot accept that I don't know what to tell you
It does look funky since he transports back to the hit animation. And he only barely catches his leg on the attack.

Isn't a roll to the right the better choice to evade that attack, anyways? I forget.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
playing the PC version
i have the DX9 also
but i can't see any graphical improvements
i don't use mod in the DX9

You should definitely see some difference when it comes to the colour grading though.

It does look funky since he transports back to the hit animation. And he only barely catches his leg on the attack.

Isn't a roll to the right the better choice to evade that attack, anyways? I forget.

Yeah, away from sword if enemy stabs, and towards if it's a swing seems to work best for me

ArynCrinn

Banned
Anybody else wish the Pursuer armor was finally included in the version? It's not like there aren't enough conditions for you to beat his ass enough to earn it!;p

Abylim

It tracks fairly well, right or left. Best way to counter it, I have always found is to read the tell for the attack and back away/roll away. Its probably not the optimal/quickest way to kill, but I do find either way has a decent chance of him clipping me like the gif.

I do fight Pursuer from a medium distance, baiting his attacks and punishing when possible. I know you're meant to be parrying him, but I kill him 99% of the way this way, so why not? Even in
Drangleic Castle, when its 2v1

Mogwai

Anybody else wish the Pursuer armor was finally included in the version? It's not like there aren't enough conditions for you to beat his ass enough to earn it!;p

I really wish they would have included it. Perhaps when we beat the game or something.

But who knows, the release is fresh.

Believe.

Audioboxer

Bloodborne will be shelved over the next day or two and I'll start this. Going with deprived. Don't care about PVP min/maxing and I want to be able to respec for everything to give it all a go. Take advantage of this being the only souls game I can respec in.

NBtoaster

There is some random stuff in the castle.

wall ghosts, an executioner's chariot, old knights, mannequins, desert sorceresses all in the same little area

edit: and a gargoyle oh god

OH SHIT

uUFGFm7.gif

Your roll is super early if you intended to use iframes

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Your roll is super early if you intended to use iframes

thats not mine, its just a gif I found on google.and people have been talking about the hitbox thing for days on the thread (since it comes from vanilla), why you all acting like this is some big surprise :p

Facism

regardless of whether it catches his leg or not, it still looks and feels ridiculous to be caught in the sword like that :p

I would have had it do damage as an attack rather than a grab if it doesn't connect with a torso.

So, I loved Dark Souls and I'm about to finish BB, which I loved too. I'm kinda on the fence with this game though. I'm reading stuff about bad combat and the whole durability thing seems not fun...

Is it really that much worse than DS1??

Dark Souls 2's combat is better than the first in my opinion, it expanded on a few things and improved others, even some the AI is better. What made Dark Souls 2 a little disappointing for people was that the exploration/world building isn't as good as the first, but it's still pretty good IMO. You'd be insane not to play Dark Souls 2 if you loved Dark Souls/Demon's Souls + Bloodborne, it's just as good! Still a good game on its own even though it must not match up in every respect to the first. :p

Easy_D

never left the stone age
There is some random stuff in the castle.

wall ghosts, an executioner's chariot, old knights, mannequins, desert sorceresses all in the same little area

edit: and a gargoyle oh god

Is it Dark Souls 2: The Lost Levels or Kaizo Dark Souls 2?

regardless of whether it catches his leg or not, it still looks and feels ridiculous to be caught in the sword like that :p

I would have had it do damage as an attack rather than a grab if it doesn't connect with a torso.

Thing is, the only way to properly fix that would be to give you infinite i-frames during rolls. Which might actually not be that bad of an idea if rolls are adjusted to reflect that change.

Saw a few new things in No Man's Wharf but LB felt mostly the same up until the first boss. The extra phantom stuff is really fun when you're doing coop, the first thing I did was sit by the very first boss and just get summoned a bunch. It's going to be insane doing that many people in some of the more closed quarters areas.

BriGuy

Still stupid. I would accept seeing him take a modicum of damage to reflect the not-quite perfect dodge, but getting hoovered back into a stab animation is just broken bullshit no matter how you try to spin it.

Blinck

From what people are reporting, some of the enemy placement just seems so random from a Lore perspective...they could have made new enemies for the areas that are in touch with the lore in that place, instead of just getting mobs from other zones and put them wherever..

Starting a stream just now, Twitch name is vince_dicola.

Taking ideas for routes and builds etc.

If announcing streams here is frowned upon then sorry.

Shredderi

Still stupid. I would accept seeing him take a modicum of damage to reflect the not-quite perfect dodge, but getting hoovered back into a stab animation is just broken bullshit no matter how you try to spin it.

Exactly. It does hit his leg a little so let the resulting punishment reflect that.

Faabulous

Oh god, what the fuck are these ninja dudes on No man's wharf? Were they there before? They freaked me out.

Forgot to print too lol

OH SHIT

uUFGFm7.gif

In this gif you can see the sword piercing through his leg/ foot. It's like Penetrator/ False King Allant from DeS. A grab attack.

Rhaknar

lol im so shit at this compared to BB

finally killed him but died so much, ALL the mobs on the way to him stopped respawning rofl (via the various shortcuts of course, so thats... 2 mobs by the door, plus the 2 knights up the stairs, I think the third knight and the archer at him were still respanwing)

that was by far harder than anything in BB (for me of course). anyway, moving along :p

So it's not a shitty hitbox, it's shitty animation?

It's certainly a bad something. Either fix up the hitboxes to make the animation not look ridiculous or change the animation.

With DS1 they fixed up some wonky hitbox stuff. When I first got hit by the Pursuer with the shitty teleport I was sure they'd fix that.

Rhaknar

oh snap, the dull ember is not only in the lost bastille like you guys said, but its straight up at the bonfire as soon as you land hah. thats pretty cool, nice change

also, those guys wailing on the dead giant / trees is new right?

NBtoaster

From what people are reporting, some of the enemy placement just seems so random from a Lore perspective...they could have made new enemies for the areas that are in touch with the lore in that place, instead of just getting mobs from other zones and put them wherever..

I think it's mostly been thematically appropriate, like one nice touch in Amana is
a Dragonrider guarding the door to the kings soul
. The one area in the castle they might have deliberately just thrown in a mix of enemies because it's an optional area.

Is it Dark Souls 2: The Lost Levels or Kaizo Dark Souls 2?

I had to look up that reference, but it's not badly designed. You still have lots of room to fight and theyre not all swarming you at once.

Neoweee

Deprived + Company of Champions = Kill Me

Does anyone have an up-to-date, accurate list of what changes with the Company? It's damage AND poise damage, as far as I can tell from my playthroughs in CoC.

It's certainly a bad something. Either fix up the hitboxes to make the animation not look ridiculous or change the animation.

With DS1 they fixed up some wonky hitbox stuff. When I first got hit by the Pursuer with the shitty teleport I was sure they'd fix that.

They haven't really fixed screwy hit stuff. Collision, clipping, hit detection, and grabs are bad in all four games.

The "best" solution is to have variable hit boxes, so grabs only damage unless they hit your core, which triggers the animation. I doubt From will ever do this. They just don't spend time working on things like that.

The other good solution is to do away with grab animations in general. It's gotten worse and worse, with DkS2 being a jump from the first, and BB being even worse. At this rate, Dark Souls 3 will have grab attacks on every other enemy.

oh snap, the dull ember is not only in the lost bastille like you guys said, but its straight up at the bonfire as soon as you land hah. thats pretty cool, nice change

also, those guys wailing on the dead giant / trees is new right?

Yeah, interviews leading up to the release called this closer to the game they originally wanted to make, with "improved AI". Things like patrols, Pursuer actually pursuing, and more enemy variety were apparently things that had to get cut due to resources and time and poor performance.

I really like that they remixed DLC content into the main game, made rare armor drops into normal treasures, revised the game flow so you can more easily choose which path to go early, and made zones feel more alive. I really like some the WTF changes to the place after the halfway point. Makes the place feel more "haunted".

ALSO: Blood pools. Awesome change. When was that created? This version, or a patch?

Fhtagn

OH SHIT

uUFGFm7.gif

So they still haven't fixed that? Ok then, not buying this at $60.

I already own this game twice at full price including the collectors edition, have beaten it two and a half times
but the wonky magical hit boxes are infuriating to me.

Rhaknar

forgot the soldier key actually opens up all these doors :D

oh nice little touch, theres a knight guarding that door where you go to do the dream later. stuff like that and the zombies hitting the dead giants / trees is really cool and actually adds a lot

Randam

OH SHIT

uUFGFm7.gif
the hitboxes aren't bullshit.
They are just too good.
He got hit in the feet during the roll.
And a hit is a hit in DS2.

Neoweee

the hitboxes aren't bullshit.
They are just too good.
He got hit in the feet during the roll.
And a hit is a hit in DS2.

But it shouldn't be a grab. BB has the same problem. From really should dump grab attacks for good if they aren't going to implement them well.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think it's mostly been thematically appropriate, like one nice touch in Amana is
a Dragonrider guarding the door to the kings soul
. The one area in the castle they might have deliberately just thrown in a mix of enemies because it's an optional area.

I had to look up that reference, but it's not badly designed. You still have lots of room to fight and theyre not all swarming you at once.

Yeah I watched a video on youtube where the comments were like "Oh so all they did was add more enemies???" when the player basically ran past every single enemy, which followed him of course lol. That sounds good!

TheMink

I would say the pursuer is a perfect enemy to illustrate why dodging toward an enemy is often better than side to side.

If you haven't beat him already just trust me on this and dodge toward him. Pursuer is one of the few bosses I can pretty much go the entire fight without taking a hit especially using that method.

Rhaknar

cleaning up forrest of giants before I move on (as I tend to do, dat ocd), 2 things

skeleton dudes, are they new? the ones in the corridor with various lamps you can light, using the soldiers key.

and also, in the same zone further ahead, before the second bonfire,
dark spirit armorer dennis (or something) invader
, was that in vanilla? o_O

Neoweee

cleaning up forrest of giants before I move on (as I tend to do, dat ocd), 2 things

skeleton dudes, are they new? the ones in the corridor with various lamps you can light, using the soldiers key.

and also, in the same zone further ahead, before the second bonfire,
dark spirit armorer dennis (or something) invader
, was that in vanilla? o_O

Nope. Lots if new invaders and NPC summons.

Top Bottom