• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Got my first date of the new year tonight. The dating gods have blessed me with this incredible weather in NYC.

Maybe when you get the right city gym ;D

For real tho guys go there and post plenty, as long as they aren't jerks for whatever reason. There's more ladies on GAF than it really seems like.

What, you think I'm a nerd or something?

I had a one in eight shot of remembering right. GG.

Celadon, my b.

ameratsu

Hey dating-gaf, just a question for any IT Professionals who might be reading this thread.

How do you guys describe your work? I'm having trouble coming up with a quick and dirty way to describe my line of work (Sysadmin) that makes sense to people outside the industry. I've tried briefly mentioning things like problem solving, software distribution, automation, but I mostly get confused looks or responses that are massively off-track. Confounding this is the fact that IT work, despite being generally well-paid, is relatively low-status compared to similarly paid professionals.

Hey dating-gaf, just a question for any IT Professionals who might be reading this thread.

How do you guys describe your work? I'm having trouble coming up with a quick and dirty way to describe my line of work (Sysadmin) that makes sense to people outside the industry. I've tried briefly mentioning things like problem solving, software distribution, automation, but I mostly get confused looks or responses that are massively off-track. Confounding this is the fact that IT work, despite being generally well-paid, is relatively low-status compared to similarly paid professionals.

I work with computers/I work IT at [company] was always suffice enough, and I add small details (I am a database developer) or make associations that people can relate to.

I also don't agree with the last part. Plenty of people associate IT with Silicon Valley/Google/Apple, rich AF nerds. "you will never be out of a job", "why don't you make an app and become a millionaire?" (those last two are personal quotes I heard on dates lol)

ameratsu

I work with computers/I work IT at [company] was always suffice enough, and I add small details (I am a database developer) or make associations that people can relate to.

I also don't agree with the last part. Plenty of people associate IT with Silicon Valley/Google/Apple, rich AF nerds. "you will never be out of a job", "why don't you make an app and become a millionaire?" (those last two are personal quotes I heard on dates lol)

I live far away from the big tech hubs and associated stereotypes, so what i'm describing in my last sentence is more regional than anything. I've tried saying I work in the tech sector, and there's almost always a follow up along the lines of "what's that" or "so like geek squad?" (actual response >.>).

Not even exaggerating that describing myself as an "IT Professional" gets blank stares from 3/4 of my dates. Most girls have zero idea what that even is, or don't care to learn.

How long does it take you guys to become emotionally open in a relationship? Cause it feels like me and this girl are really clicking and we are super emotionally open and vulnerable even though it's not even been a couple weeks. It's a bit alien for me, but I'm okay with it.

Just curious what your guys' experience has been with this. It's honestly so refreshing to be with someone who can be so open and I can be open too.

Remember after your first date she said she wanted to take it slow? Slow down.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
This evolved to them taking your number instead and saying they would call you. I learned that one fast and refused to give it to them.

I wouldn't go so far as refusing it, just try not to attach high expectations when giving out your number.
Remember, competition is part of the game. Maybe she originally intended to call but someone more suitable came along. If you don't hear from her, move on.

I work in IT and let me tell you, the bolded is not true in my experience. Everyone knows technology is everywhere. You being a part of it, in their head, means that you are smart, make a ton of money and have tons of opportunities waiting for you (you never run out of jobs).

An easy way to explain what you do would be "I do stuff with computers and programs for X company" and that's that. If they ask you to go into detail, you do so knowing that they expect to be confused in the end. It will make you sound smart at the same time ahahaha.

I live far away from the big tech hubs and associated stereotypes, so what i'm describing in my last sentence is more regional than anything. I've tried saying I work in the tech sector, and there's almost always a follow up along the lines of "what's that" or "so like geek squad?" (actual response >.>).

Not even exaggerating that describing myself as an "IT Professional" gets blank stares from 3/4 of my dates. Most girls have zero idea what that even is, or don't care to learn.
I am also far away from big tech hubs but the responses I get are almost always positive. Just make it sound more exciting than it may or may not be, dumb it down if necessary. Its all about delivery.

Working in IT equals smart with job security and that should be a big plus for you, just gotta associate it with something more relatable to people who dont exactly know what it means.

An easy way to explain what you do would be "I do stuff with computers and programs for X company" and that's that. If they ask you to go into detail, you do so knowing that they expect to be confused in the end. It will make you sound smart at the same time ahahaha.

Exactly. I'm an instrumentation and controls engineer for a cogeneration facility, but not many people really find it that interesting if I phrase it that way.

If I'm out with friends and meet someone new and they ask me what I do for a living I tell them "I keep jet engines running to power homes in town."

It's technically correct, but way less technical sounding.

Saying you're an "IT Professional" is just about the nerdiest thing I can think of. Most PEOPLE have zero idea what that is, and why should they care to learn if it sounds so boring? Make your job sound interesting. I don't just tell people that I'm a lawyer - there's a million lawyers out there. I'm a video game lawyer. They usually have a quizzical look, thinking I play video games or something. That leads to a fun conversation where I describe my job and my nomadic lifestyle. Now I'm mysterious, cool, and have a great job. They're jealous that I call the shots and can live where I want.

Edit: This guy is an "IT Professional." Don't be him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uvdPDXaBPc

I wouldn't go so far as refusing it, just try not to attach high expectations when giving out your number.
Remember, competition is part of the game. Maybe she originally intended to call but someone more suitable came along. If you don't hear from her, move on.

I'm talking about my experiences in the early 2000's. A lot of broken dreams were born of your excusing the behavior in perhaps this/that.

Working in IT equals smart with job security and that should be a big plus for you, just gotta associate it with something more relatable to people who dont exactly know what it means.

Back in the day when I was spending my evenings in nightclubs midweek when I worked in IT and I was on the switch between day/night shift so I didn't need to wake up early the next day I perfected this for casual hookups. Can confirm it works well. I'm sure I'll be disliked for sharing my script here.

Salamando

I've since refined my job title from "software engineer" to "I predict the future. With math!" If they ask for more info, I tell them about the milf study I once did.

Date me and find out, bro

Look at my user profile for website

I imagine it's 90% telling people the difference between copyright and trademark, and explaining what elements of their games they can and cannot legally protect (or might be infringing other companies)

I've since refined my job title from "software engineer" to "I predict the future. With math!" If they ask for more info, I tell them about the milf study I once did.

I imagine it's 90% telling people the difference between copyright and trademark, and explaining what elements of their games they can and cannot legally protect (or might be infringing other companies)

Sometimes no amount of explaining gets it through to a date. "I still don't understand what you DO" is a common theme. Whatever, I'm an enigma!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Last night's date was a (mutual) dud. Oh well.

Sooner or later there'll be a good date with a girl I like that is also enjoyable for her :/

Salamando

Sometimes no amount of explaining gets it through to a date. "I still don't understand what you DO" is a common theme. Whatever, I'm an enigma!

I once had a date end outright because of how I explained my job. A project I was working on would strip personally identifiable information from collected data, to ensure data was as anonymous as possible. She wanted an explanation of "personally identifiable information". "It's data about an anonymous person that when added together can be used to identify them".

She asked for an example. I used her as one, explaining how I might be able to figure out her last name based on the information she told me about herself. I ended up describing the exact method a stalker once used to find where she moved to, to get away from him.

Last night's date was a (mutual) dud. Oh well.

Sooner or later there'll be a good date with a girl I like that is also enjoyable for her :/
I don't mind mutual duds. They're better than one party having far more interest than the other.

I once had a date end outright because of how I explained my job. A project I was working on would strip personally identifiable information from collected data, to ensure data was as anonymous as possible. She wanted an explanation of "personally identifiable information". "It's data about an anonymous person that when added together can be used to identify them".

She asked for an example. I used her as one, explaining how I might be able to figure out her last name based on the information she told me about herself. I ended up describing the exact method a stalker once used to find where she moved to, to get away from him.
lol

"I enable stalkers"

gaiages

Banned

Oh geez lol

I'm glad most people have a basic understanding of my career, or at least how money works and how money must be accounted for, that I don't have to explain it. I find it's more where I work that causes all the questions and confusion...

Man, 1-2 Switch at parties is gonna be a great icebreaker.

Portable Just Dance will also be a big hit.

Hey bae I liked the way you milked that cow...

Booser

First date tomorrow with a girl who has the same rubbish sense of humour I do. Looking forward to it.

However, my ex has started texting me again the past week or so out of the blue - the usual "hey hows it going?". I haven't replied. Today I got a weird "hey you, Ive something to tell you" text. I hate purposely ignoring people, but I really don't know what else to do here. Anything else seems like reopening a can of worms.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
First date tomorrow with a girl who has the same rubbish sense of humour I do. Looking forward to it.

However, my ex has started texting me again the past week or so out of the blue - the usual "hey hows it going?". I haven't replied. Today I got a weird "hey you, Ive something to tell you" text. I hate purposely ignoring people, but I really don't know what else to do here. Anything else seems like reopening a can of worms.

If you've told her you don't want to continue texting before and she still contacts you, you can ignore her without feeling bad about it.

If you haven't told her you don't want to continue tell her now.

Miles I just want you to know you're my favorite GAFfer

Good to be someone's favourite something today. I'm in the shitter for saying I don't care which cake we have. I get seven fucking pictures and she's asking me which one I like the look of. The fuck? So I said I don't care, pick one it'll be fine because I know you'll pick a good one. Yeah, didn't notice the part where I said it'll be fine or you'll pick a good one, all focus, all fucking focus goes on the don't care.

Context, for fuck sake.

Block her for fuck sake. Why don't you already have her blocked to stop shit like this from happening?

Oh, good luck with the date.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Good to be someone's favourite something today. I'm in the shitter for saying I don't care which cake we have. I get seven fucking pictures and she's asking me which one I like the look of. The fuck? So I said I don't care, pick one it'll be fine because I know you'll pick a good one. Yeah, didn't notice the part where I said it'll be fine or you'll pick a good one, all focus, all fucking focus goes on the don't care.

Context, for fuck sake.

Block her for fuck sake. Why don't you already have her blocked to stop shit like this from happening?

Oh, good luck with the date.

Is your wife to be always this difficult or do weddings bring out the worst in a woman?

Hey bae I liked the way you milked that cow...

YO EAT THAT SANDWICH AWW YEAH

Do you want to be nice and not burn bridges? Just let it go or hear her out.

Do you not care? Then tell her to leave you alone.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It's a wedding, they're stressful as fuck, and she's probably not happy that he turned an "us" decision into a "your" decision. That equals more stress for her.
All the grooms I've ever spoken to say they have no idea what all the stress is about.

Edit: to clarify: Sure, certain things like finding a venue and not spending your entire life savings are important, but does anyone really care about the cake?

Is your wife to be always this difficult or do weddings bring out the worst in a woman?

It's the stress of planning the wedding plus she's feeling extra emotional right now.

I know why she got angry, we did promise we'd support each other and make every decision together and the don't care likely came across the wrong way, but again, context.

I told her I hated the cake tasting and she said she'd sort the cake out, so that to me meant she'd take care of it, I didn't think it meant she'd look at alternatives and message me pictures of the ones she's found and ask me which one I like the look of.

Is there any way to help her realise this isn't worth stressing over?

Well we're still having dinner in about an hour when she's done with her mum, so while she's mad, she's not mad enough to pass up food. That means I'll get a talking to and a reminder that I promised every decision would be a joint one so she doesn't feel she's doing everything herself.

So yeah, a fucking talking to. This is what my life has become.

It's a wedding, it's stressful in and of itself. Some may not think the cake is a big deal, but everything can be a big deal when you've got 20 million things going on at once :p

The seating arrangements meeting is this weekend. She told me last night she needs my help and support the most that day. It's me, her mum and her best friend.

So yeah, that's a fucking fantastic day to look forward to. I wonder if I'll be able to go the entire day without saying something that'll piss them all off?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Well we're still having dinner in about an hour when she's done with her mum, so while she's mad, she's not mad enough to pass up food. That means I'll get a talking to and a reminder that I promised every decision would be a joint one so she doesn't feel she's doing everything herself.

So yeah, a fucking talking to. This is what my life has become.

Should've used an emoji, this misunderstanding would've never happened.

Check mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom