• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salamando

Only agree to "just hang out" if you're genuinely okay never having sex with that girl. It could happen, but that shouldn't be your reason. If you're not okay with that, you're better being honest with her.

Nobody compresses just a text file. What else do you have in there? Something lewd no doubt.

Could've been a zip bomb. Hackers used to take small files and zip/rezip them in ludicrous ways so that the unzip process would absolutely murder computers. An 18 kb zip file could be terabytes large when unzipped, with the process using all the computers memory and processing speed.

Leeness

Only agree to "just hang out" if you're genuinely okay never having sex with that girl.

That's what I'm trying to find! And I know it's counterproductive using dating apps, but I'm not comfortable with big meetups and want to just meet people one on one. So...I know it may never happen, but if there ends up being a single guy friend that I find through these apps, it'll have been worth it. 🤷

Only agree to "just hang out" if you're genuinely okay never having sex with that girl. It could happen, but that shouldn't be your reason. If you're not okay with that, you're better being honest with her.

Could've been a zip bomb. Hackers used to take small files and zip/rezip them in ludicrous ways so that the unzip process would absolutely murder computers. An 18 kb zip file could be terabytes large when unzipped, with the process using all the computers memory and processing speed.

Is that a real thing? Because if so that's fucking badass.

Mory Dunz

That's what I'm trying to find! And I know it's counterproductive using dating apps, but I'm not comfortable with big meetups and want to just meet people one on one. So...I know it may never happen, but if there ends up being a single guy friend that I find through these apps, it'll have been worth it. 🤷

You're not comfortable with Meetup but you're okay with meeting a guy alone to be friends when he likely has romantic/sexual intentions (it's still a dating app despite what messages are exchanged).
Hm, doesn't make sense to me tbh.

If you want the 1v1 that bad, do a Meetup and just isolate a conversation (sit next to someone and say hi). Most meet ups usually have several smaller conversations regardless. And the environment and situation us what you're actually looking for.
And safer.
And what's whats wrong with making friends in groups as opposed to 1 on 1 date scenario exactly?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Did anything ever come out of that friendship app I mentioned to you a while ago?

I think I "fucked up" with one woman by expressing surprise at her desire to talk on the phone with me. We've been texting for a little over a week, and her texts have always been pretty short and sporadic, so I was just caught off guard when she suddenly wanted to speak over the phone. After I expressed my surprise, she quickly responded "lol K. Never mind." and hasn't answered any texts since. I'm confused (and frustrated because we were supposed to meet up to have sex today).

Yep, this made me anxious as hell, but definitely don't send a second text. She could have lost her phone, be in the middle of taking a huge shit, busy with work, or a million other reasons.

She actually ended up responding and agreeing to the date a little while after I posted that. She specifically said "that sounds fun!".

However, shortly after that, I shot her a text trying to set a time and date, but now she hasn't responded to that one. It's been over a day at this point. She's probably a lost cause, but I may send a follow-up text since I can't imagine I have much to lose at this point.

EDIT: Yeah, things are definitely done with the first woman. Just received a text from her. Arrrrrggggh. On to the next one.

Ozorov

I think I "fucked up" with one woman by expressing surprise at her desire to talk on the phone with me. We've been texting for a little over a week, and her texts have always been pretty short and sporadic, so I was just caught off guard when she suddenly wanted to speak over the phone. After I expressed my surprise, she quickly responded "lol K. Never mind." and hasn't answered any texts since. I'm confused (and frustrated because we were supposed to meet up to have sex today).

She actually ended up responding and agreeing to the date a little while after I posted that. She specifically said "that sounds fun!".

However, shortly after that, I shot her a text trying to set a time and date, but now she hasn't responded to that one. It's been over a day at this point. She's probably a lost cause, but I may send a follow-up text since I can't imagine I have much to lose at this point.

EDIT: Yeah, things are definitely done with the first woman. Just received a text from her. Arrrrrggggh. On to the next one.
What did she say?

I wouldn't send a follow-up msg after "just" one day, but hey thats just me.

What did she say?

I wouldn't send a follow-up msg after "just" one day, but hey thats just me.

Nothing too specific. Just wished me luck with my search on OkCupid.

I'm not quite sure how to approach the other woman. I was trying to see if she wanted to go out tomorrow, so...

No_Style

What a strange series of events this is.

Leeness

You're not comfortable with Meetup but you're okay with meeting a guy alone to be friends when he likely has romantic/sexual intentions (it's still a dating app despite what messages are exchanged).
Hm, doesn't make sense to me tbh.

If you want the 1v1 that bad, do a Meetup and just isolate a conversation (sit next to someone and say hi). Most meet ups usually have several smaller conversations regardless. And the environment and situation us what you're actually looking for.
And safer.
And what's whats wrong with making friends in groups as opposed to 1 on 1 date scenario exactly?

Too many people I don't know in one room = anxiety for days. It just kills me. I hate it 😔 If I went to meet ups, I would go hide in the bathroom or a corner until it was over.

With tinder or whatever, if I meet someone (very big if anyway. I get very few matches, like maybe one a week at most, and none of them talk to me), I've told them straight up before meeting that I am only looking for friends, if they change their mind and don't want to meet, that's fine, I understand. So...it's just meeting a person in public that I've specifically told I'm just looking for friends. Again though, very big if--I've met maybe two guys in the last three years lmao. Like I said though, in it for the long game. If I meet even one guy I can be friends with after 15 years or something of doing it, it will have been worth it.

Did anything ever come out of that friendship app I mentioned to you a while ago?

It was Skout right? I downloaded it for a bit, but it was a lot of older men (60s) and the younger men were basically using it as tinder lol. So I figured if they were the same, may as well go back to the one that has more people.

Razilez

Posted this in the online dating thread but might as well ask here as well.

What do people find to be the most effective openers when messaging a girl? I'm not much of a flirty person until well into a conversation, so I tend to go for the honest route first. What has been most successful for you?

So, after messaging someone and they don't respond, what's generally considered a long enough period before messaging again?

Not a lot of people use OkCupid in my area (and it still manages to be the most active dating site I can find) so once I count out empty/inactive profiles and low match % I basically have 3 people to message.

Kyne

still on the friend hunt, huh?

you seem to be in a very peculiar situation. Is the reason you're looking for a "single" guy friend because you don't want to deal with getting any girlfriends jealous?

I would think one of the biggest issues you would face by befriending a single guy is that he might end up falling for you. You seem like a reasonable person and from what I recall you're quite attractive as well. Unless you're secretly off your rocker I don't see how you could avoid a potential situation like that.

Ozorov

Gif openers have been the most successful for me. Tinder btw.
I'm new to tinder but I only have used it once. No response :). Maybe used the wrong gif hah. So far for me asking about something in her pics / info is the best route.

So, after messaging someone and they don't respond, what's generally considered a long enough period before messaging again?

Not a lot of people use OkCupid in my area (and it still manages to be the most active dating site I can find) so once I count out empty/inactive profiles and low match % I basically have 3 people to message.

I never write twice in a row. My thought is just that if they dont respond they're not interested, I fucked up or they're busy.

Eh, if they didn't respond I'd kind of just assume they weren't going to respond a second time.

Kind of tired of lukewarm responses IMO.

you seem to be in a very peculiar situation. Is the reason you're looking for a "single" guy friend because you don't want to deal with getting any girlfriends jealous?

I would think one of the biggest issues you would face by befriending a single guy is that he might end up falling for you. You seem like a reasonable person and from what I recall you're quite attractive as well. Unless you're secretly off your rocker I don't see how you could avoid a potential situation like that.

When_Harry_Met_Sally.mp4

No_Style

I wait a week. Dramatically change the second message and try to be funny about it. If nothing, move on.

Leeness

This one. Lol.

I mean, befriending a guy with a girlfriend would be fine! I wouldn't mind that at all because then he's already taken, but I guess I wouldn't want it to be weird for the couple, which it probably would be? So I don't really actively seek that out...

But I guess the problem with making a single guy friend is that I'd want him to go find a nice girl anyway and would probably help him, so it would end up in that same situation eventually haha. But I'd hope that since I was already the "girl friend", it would be less weird. 🤷

This one. Lol.

I mean, befriending a guy with a girlfriend would be fine! I wouldn't mind that at all because then he's already taken, but I guess I wouldn't want it to be weird for the couple, which it probably would be? So I don't really actively seek that out...

But I guess the problem with making a single guy friend is that I'd want him to go find a nice girl anyway and would probably help him, so it would end up in that same situation eventually haha. But I'd hope that since I was already the "girl friend", it would be less weird. 🤷

So, you're not looking to "date" in the formal sense of the word but you're scared of larger groups / crowds so things like meetups and hobby groups intimidate you.

So you're looking for that but on a more one-on-one scale, hence the dating site attempts to find people?

But if you find someone you would hope they'd find a significant other so they would feel romantically fulfilled with a relationship because you wouldn't be willing to be in that position, but would hope they'd still place a priority on spending time with you?

What's the optimal "size" of a hangout for you before it gets uncomfortable? Because if you have a friend who then finds an SO and they both have friends, you're going to run into a group situation eventually.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is:

Why aren't you willing to date with the intention of finding someone to be romantically involved with? That usually lends itself to a more one-on-one sort of relationship.

Once you narrow that down, it might be better to work on that than to find someone to serve as an emotional crutch. Because it seems like the path you're taking is going to lead to a lot of confusion and people getting upset with you for no real reason.

If it's for emotional / mental reasons, do you have a therapist? If it's for physical / sexual / gender identity issues, just be up front about your hangups to people and worst case you know they wouldn't have been good to hang out with anyways.

Or you could hang out with that one GAFer who was using Tinder to find people to eat lunch and dinner with and nothing more...

Kyne

This one. Lol.

it probably wouldn't :(

You would then be the "attractive girl friend" that he keeps around and the new squeeze will always be wondering if there is anything going on between you two.

Maybe I'm not giving people enough credit though. I hope that you can find a guy who finds a girlfriend who is very understanding of the situation. That would be the best case scenario for you.

Lulubop

I'm new to tinder but I only have used it once. No response :). Maybe used the wrong gif hah. So far for me asking about something in her pics / info is the best route.

There's a secret gif with a very hey reply rate, for me anyway. I can tell you it but it can't leave this thread.

WolfeTone

This one. Lol.

I've certainly become friends with a number of girls I met through dating sites like tinder and OK Cupid, but in the vast majority of cases, those began with actual dates with romantic intentions. When it became clear there was no romantic potential, but we still wanted to be friends, we pursued friendship only. I'm also strictly friends with a number of people I used to date, which I know people sometimes find weird.

It's rare that I'd pursue strict friendship from the outset, but on one occasion, I matched with a girl on tinder with no profile photos but who had an interesting bio. I learned that she was just looking for friends, but I found her interesting enough that I was okay with just pursuing that. I never saw a photo of her before we met, although I did speak with her on the phone to make sure she wasn't some psycho. We've been friends for over a year and there is no attraction between us. She considers herself to be borderline asexual, although I frequently make fun of her for using dating sites like OK Cupid and tinder to find friends or conduct 'social experiments'.

These things are definitely not the norm I feel. I guess if your bio on dating sites is explicitly written to indicate that you want friends only, it might be worth a shot, but I'd imagine you still get a bunch of thirsty dudes promising to cure you of your asexuality by showing you what 'romance' is all about.

it probably wouldn't :(

You would then be the "attractive girl friend" that he keeps around and the new squeeze will always be wondering if there is anything going on between you two.

Maybe I'm not giving people enough credit though. I hope that you can find a guy who finds a girlfriend who is very understanding of the situation. That would be the best case scenario for you.

Tbh the best situation is just for her to go out and do things with people and try to make friends that way. All these elaborate plans to make friends and hope gfs dont get jealous and etc etc are just fantasies.

You can never predict how this stuff will play out. If you are in a new place and you wanna make friends you have to put forth an attitude conductive to meeting people.

Maybe Tinder works out, I wouldn't suggest to stop using it. But like, I aint ever use tinder to meet friends and the only profiles I ever see saying they want friendship are women. None of the guys profiles I have seen give a shit about being your friend and fair enough, it's a dating app, not a friendship app.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Oh yes, yes it is. Badass, but kiss your computer goodbye if you manage to run into one.

Could you link that again? I'm genuinely interested in it (though I doubt many people use it in my area lol)

The one I found back then was called Patook and was quite new at the time - seems quite sophisticated, it has algorithms to detect and filter pickup lines lol. Leeness says she tried an app called Skout so apparently there's a few of them.

It was Skout right? I downloaded it for a bit, but it was a lot of older men (60s) and the younger men were basically using it as tinder lol. So I figured if they were the same, may as well go back to the one that has more people.

Actually it was Patook. Check out their website - they seem quite dedicated to enforcing their policy of strictly Platnic friendships. I don't work for them or anything, to be clear :)

Ralemont

not me
Met this girl 2 days back and had a really nice chat with her. I had to rush off so I asked her a number and she gave it to me after saying, "I don't normally give out my number." Anyway I texted her and asked her out to get some coffee.

Here's the question, she replies saying that she'd love to hangout but she doesn't do dates.

Not sure how to respond to that, should I specify that I want to go on a date, not hangout? Or should I just go hangout with her and if I think we have a connection ask her on a date then?

She might be looking for fwb or casual sex but you seem to be shit out of a luck if you're hoping for a relationship. If she already told you she doesn't do dates then don't ask her for one.

"Love to hangout but doesn't do dates"

That's pretty goddamned ridiculous tbh. Plus, then you're not sure if she means hang out as only being friends or hang out as only wanting some casual fun.

No_Style

This one. Lol.

A number of people have already touched upon this but I believe you will find what you're looking for if you are open to a romantic relationship first -- even if you need to feign interest. My experience mirrors WolfTone's where the couple of girls I've befriended, did start off with the intention of romance.

If you do go down this route, you need to cut off romantic intentions early and not lead them on beyond the first date. Maybe go through a period of no contact for a bit (a couple of weeks) and then try re-establish contact as friends. Ask them how they're online dating is going etc.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
A number of people have already touched upon this but I believe you will find what you're looking for if you are open to a romantic relationship first -- even if you need to feign interest.

That doesn't seem right at all.
Not for Leeness, not for the guys she meets.

Did I tell you all about the (Canadian) girl i met from tinder a few weeks ago. for a coffee "date".

She decided to tell me I was a liar about my Height.

She asked on tinder how tall i was and I told her 5'11. Bear in mind she has also seen on my profile a picture of me in full profile, form ankles (?) up. In shorts!

She decided to say I Lied (that's harsh, son) about my height and that I'm actually 5 foot 8.
Of course when I said that I actually am that tall, she was like, "OK sure, don't make a big deal of it."

"I don't get why guys lie about their height. Like I'm' not gonna find out or something"

No, they aint, you just can't fucking count, love.

Kyne

Did I tell you all about the (Canadian) girl i met from tinder a few weeks ago. for a coffee "date".

She asked on tinder how tall i was and I told her 5'11. Bear in mind she has also seen on my profile a picture of me in full profile, form ankles (?) up. In shorts!

She decided to say I Lied (that's harsh, son) about my height and that I'm actually 5 foot 8.
Of course when I said that I actually am that tall, she was like, "OK sure, don't make a big deal of it."

"I don't get why guys lie about their height. Like I'm' not gonna find out or something"

so im confused... are you in fact 5'11? without tricks?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Tell her she just demonstrated why guys lie by being completely disconnected from reality.

Ozorov

deb4e95e0635e6da7cdac39cafb1cbc4.gif

Why didn't you just call her? That's what I've done when someone says they want to talk to me on the phone but haven't bothered to yet. Just take the iniative.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Why didn't you just call her? That's what I've done when someone says they want to talk to me on the phone but haven't bothered to yet. Just take the iniative.

Yeah, this story doesn't make much sense. He got nervous about talking on the phone with the girl he was planning on having sex with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom