• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baki

1) Bruh I am fucking shorter than you, at 5'5" and don't have any problems. I've dated taller and shorter girls, but it never got in the way. You are 5'6", which is kind of average. No excuses.

2) This seems to be the real issue holding you back. Be true to yourself, and let go. Specially after 2.5 years. She moved on, so can you.

EDIT: My post sounds harsh as heck. But honestly I think sometimes one needs something like this to snap back into shape. Heck I know I wish I had someone tell me stuff like this in the past.

Oh. I'm glad we broke up!

Best thing to happen in my life professionally.

I'm now doing really well with my career & even achieved mini-fame within my sector.

PS: Your post is not harsh at all. :) Appreciate it. And yes! I am moving on, had a date last week. Biggest barrier to my dating life is my work. I'm a bit of a workaholic.

gaiages

Banned
But what if you're older and everyone you know is married but you (older than 30).... I feel like I'm lagging behind everyone because I started my career later and didn't want to get into anything serious until my shit was together financially... Kind of regret that now.

Who cares? It's not some kind of race to get married before... someone? People in your age group? This is a worse scenario than the one I was actually quoting. You think there isn't a single other person over 30 in the world (or hell, the town you're in) that's not in a relationship? You'll get there eventually.

1/ 5ft6

I am getting dates though. But definitely feel like the height is a bit of a barrier.

Not the end of the world though & not much I can do about it.

2/ Agreed. I guess I still had some feelings for her & our breakup had more to do with where we were in our lives rather than fundamental issues. I think subconsciously I had hoped we'd run into each other again.

Yeah, at that height unfortunately some petty picky women would be jerks about it. They ain't worth it anyway :p They seem to only want 6'6" hulking giants of men anyway or something lol

Yeah, at that height unfortunately some petty picky women would be jerks about it. They ain't worth it anyway :p They seem to only want 6'6" hulking giants of men anyway or something lol

Any girl with a height requirement gets an auto left swipe on dating apps by me. I am 6'5" but I can't have that type of negativity in my life :p

artsi

Any girl with a height requirement gets an auto left swipe on dating apps by me. I am 6'5" but I can't have that type of negativity in my life :p

TBH I've met a few of those and they were all nice, well behaving girls. Many have those requirements anyway even if they don't write it anywhere.

Of course it's unfortunate, but girls like a taller man and that's online dating for you where looks and "specs" matter the most.

Dating a single mother with two kids is hard as fuck. I'm 30 with no kids and I've never dated a mother before...

This has been a complete mind fuck so far. The more I read online about it the more mind fucked I become.

Fuck... she's so amazing too.

artsi

Dating a single mother with two kids is hard as fuck. I'm 30 with no kids and I've never dated a mother before...

This has been a complete mind fuck so far. The more I read online about it the more mind fucked I become.

Fuck... she's so amazing too.

How is it man? I've thought about it too but I have no idea.

How is it man? I've thought about it too but I have no idea.
An eye opening experience to say the least.

1. Attention. Her kids (3 year old and 1 year old) require constant, nonstop, attention. They sleep in the same bed as her as well, so when I'm staying over, we are all sharing a bed. We have almost no time alone together. If I want some quiet time with her, it's from like 11pm-2am (her kids don't fall asleep until 10:30pm'ish) and I have to wake up for work at 6am.

With this being said, I completely understand that her kids will ALWAYS come before me, for the rest of my life. I will never be her priority. I get it.

2. With me not having a kid, I am surprisingly bothered by knowing the fact that our shared experiences in life (kids, marriage, honeymoon, etc.) will be cheapened by the fact that she has already had all these experiences with another man. It's not equal footing. It's new for me, but this is just yet another time for her. She even admitted to me that if we have a kid together (her 3rd) it won't be the same as her 1st was with another man.

Again, I get it. It's just hard to accept that these major life experiences together won't be the same for her as they are for me. I can't help but feeling like I would be feel alone and small when they occured.

3. Raising another man's children. Everytime I see them, I am reminded that she has already been there, done that, with another man. This other man will always be a part of her life, and an emotional connection will always be there to an extent. It doesn't help that he is still messaging her saying "I miss you" etc.

It's hard as fuck playing 3rd wheel. Again, I get it. This is just the way it is.

4. I have my own emotional baggage from my childhood due to stepdads, etc. That asshole stepdad who I irrationally thought broke up my family? Who I had to see all the time and I hated? I realize that now I am "that guy".

In conclusion, I feel like I am being used for emotional support, for a father figure to another deadbeat's kids. I get almost zero time with her and I have to accept that I will always be a 3rd wheel in her life. The hardest part about this is that she is an incredible woman, and without the kids, I would absolutely feel comfortable marrying and starting a family with.

artsi

Yeah, that sounds difficult, especially with kids that age. I've always had a good relationship with my own stepdad, but he came when I was a bit older (in school) and my real dad wasn't around that much so he kind of filled that hole.

That's a good point about having another kid and marriage. I'd also like it to be the first time for both and I totally get you.

Lev

1. Attention. Her kids (3 year old and 1 year old) require constant, nonstop, attention. They sleep in the same bed as her as well, so when I'm staying over, we are all sharing a bed. We have almost no time alone together. If I want some quiet time with her, it's from like 11pm-2am (her kids don't fall asleep until 10:30pm'ish) and I have to wake up for work at 6am.

With this being said, I completely understand that her kids will ALWAYS come before me, for the rest of my life. I will never be her priority. I get it.

2. With me not having a kid, I am surprisingly bothered by knowing the fact that our shared experiences in life (kids, marriage, honeymoon, etc.) will be cheapened by the fact that she has already had all these experiences with another man. It's not equal footing. It's new for me, but this is just yet another time for her. She even admitted to me that if we have a kid together (her 3rd) it won't be the same as her 1st was with another man.

Again, I get it. It's just hard to accept that these major life experiences together won't be the same for her as they are for me. I can't help but feeling like I would be feel alone and small when they occured.

3. Raising another man's children. Everytime I see them, I am reminded that she has already been there, done that, with another man. This other man will always be a part of her life, and an emotional connection will always be there to an extent. It doesn't help that he is still messaging her saying "I miss you" etc.

It's hard as fuck playing 3rd wheel. Again, I get it. This is just the way it is.

4. I have my own emotional baggage from my childhood due to stepdads, etc. That asshole stepdad who I irrationally thought broke up my family? Who I had to see all the time and I hated? I realize that now I am "that guy".

In conclusion, I feel like I am being used for emotional support, for a father figure to another deadbeat's kids. I get almost zero time with her and I have to accept that I will always be a 3rd wheel in her life. The hardest part about this is that she is an incredible woman, and without the kids, I would absolutely feel comfortable marrying and starting a family with.

Your situation highlights why most men avoid single moms when dating: the kids always get in the way. You will never truly get to enjoy a romantic relationship where she can give you the level of attention that you desire, which is why you should leave her. Quickly as well, so the kids and herself don't get use to you.

TBH I've met a few of those and they were all nice, well behaving girls. Many have those requirements anyway even if they don't write it anywhere.

Of course it's unfortunate, but girls like a taller man and that's online dating for you where looks and "specs" matter the most.

They may be nice but that type of statement is frankly off putting to me. There is a difference between thinking something and actively putting it out like you're proud of it.

They totally have the right to put what they want and say what they want. And they have the right to be as selective as they want. And I as a result have the right to be like "naw fuck that, I think it's poor character"

Everyone has to be aware of the realities of online dating. But also, you dont have to just accept anything just because.

Sounds like you're already married lol

artsi

They may be nice but that type of statement is frankly off putting to me. There is a difference between thinking something and actively putting it out like you're proud of it.

They totally have the right to put what they want and say what they want. And they have the right to be as selective as they want. And I as a result have the right to be like "naw fuck that, I think it's poor character"

Everyone has to be aware of the realities of online dating. But also, you dont have to just accept anything just because.

It's okay man, not judging your style. Just talking about my own experience that I haven't seen a height limit reflect in their attitudes when I talk to them / meet them.

Of course if they write it like "men shorter than 180cm can fuck off" they most likely have a bad attitude overall, and that also gets a left swipe from me. But if it reads like "I'm 180cm tall and I'd like to meet people who are taller than me" then I don't mind.

Women want to feel feminine so I kind of understand their point. Men don't always write their height in their bio and it might be difficult to judge height from photos. So women put it in their bio in a way or another so they don't need to 1) awkwardly ask the men directly how tall they are or 2) get disappointed when they meet the guy on a date.

I don't date fat chicks either which sounds damn shallow when I say it like this, but that's something I can see more easily in photos and there's no need to write it anywhere.

Kup

So the girl I have been talking to and been on a date with has not responded to my last text from a few days ago... Our date went really well, it was lovely and we had great conversation and lots of things in common. We agreed a few nights after the first date that we'd like to do something again - pub lunch somewhere sounded good to both of us.

I asked her if she had any plans for the weekend, briefly explained what I had lined up. And nothing back. I'm not a psycho and definitely won't spamming her with messages, that isn't my style at all! But if it was me, I would be able to return a message explaining that I had seconds thoughts and think it was best if we didn't go on a second date.

Girls, why do you this?!

So found out a girl I'm going on a date with broke up with her long-term boyfriend suuuuper recently... Like a month ago. Having been in that position before, I can assume she's probably seeking something casual?

Salamando

Girls, why do you this?!
Why ghost? Because no girl knows how a guy will react to rejection, especially if there's only been one date. She barely knows you. A passive rejection makes it easier for her.
So found out a girl I'm going on a date with broke up with her long-term boyfriend suuuuper recently... Like a month ago. Having been in that position before, I can assume she's probably seeking something casual?
Is she still sleeping in the same twin-sized bed as her ex?

Assume nothing. Know what you want, meet her with the intent of having fun.

bluethree

Why ghost? Because no girl knows how a guy will react to rejection, especially if there's only been one date. She barely knows you. A passive rejection makes it easier for her.

Also don't think it means you're a terrible person or that she didn't have a good time necessarily. It's a shitty way of dealing with the issue, but sometimes there are other factors at play besides outright dislike. People's actions aren't always about just you.

And seriously, it's NOT just women who do this - look at any dating related subreddit and you'll find tons of stories of guys doing the same shit.

artsi

I've been talking to this girl and she wants to go out but I'm kind of having trouble suggesting stuff as 1) she lives in the sticks 2) I live in the sticks and 3) weather is damn horrible so outdoor things are no-no.

I wish it was summer already.

LOL

I've been talking to this girl and she wants to go out but I'm kind of having trouble suggesting stuff as 1) she lives in the sticks 2) I live in the sticks and 3) weather is damn horrible so outdoor things are no-no.
If it's raining, you know what to do.
1dcc2df538c5c5225daa42333d33e81d.jpg

Yeah I've been ghosted plenty of times. Similar situation too, had a really fun date, couldn't see what had gone wrong, but it's not something I worry about too much anymore. Still annoying, but in the end, do you want to keep seeing someone who wasn't 100% sure they wanted to see you?

And to the advice you gave me, yeah that's true. Going to suggest a visit to the local Christmas market as we briefly talked about it last night. One thing I've picked up recently is being much more forward with arranging a meeting. No point dragging it out!

And on the height thing, it's fair enough for women to seek whatever they want, but I'm 5"9 so my auto-swipe left is just saving them disappointment!

If I'm in a club and see a girl I like, should I just go to talk to her or should I make some eye contact first? I went to a club yesterday and there were some girls that I liked, but they didn't make much eye contact with me. So, I was thinking if I should have just went to talk to one of them and don't pay attention if they were looking to me or not. Any thoughts?

gaiages

Banned
If I'm in a club and see a girl I like, should I just go to talk to her or should I make some eye contact first? I went to a club yesterday and there were some girls that I liked, but they didn't make much eye contact with me. So, I was thinking if I should have just went to talk to one of them and don't pay attention if they were looking to me or not. Any thoughts?

Let me ask you this, why wouldn't you go and talk to them? There's a lot of shit going on at the club, it's probably not easy to see you :p

I'm developing feelings for my roommate. I don't know how / if I should say anything, I've been getting flirty with him when we drink and he doesn't seem to mind it but doesn't really reciprocate. Neither of us have been in a relationship (lol). The stinger? I'm transgender and have known him since before transition. I know it's a horrible horrible idea to try to make this happen for so many reasons and yet I find myself thinking about it constantly. I'm basically looking for permission to make a bad decision.
It seems he is the only person you feel comfortable with and so you try on him but if he's not reciprocating, then it might be a sign to move on. Then again, maybe your flirting is so low level it can be considered just being friendly. Have you tried any other avenues of seeking a partner?

Mr Swine

Banned
So gaf, since I'm horrible at reading women's signals if they are interested in me or not I would like to have some advice.

How do I know if they are interested or just being overly friendly? My boss has a cute daughter that works as a female massager and nail technician at the gym I work at. Mind you she has a boyfriend and I would never flirt with someone that has one. We never talked that much over a year ago but since I've gone down in weight and started training roughly 9 months ago we started to talk to each other. we talk from time to time and lately I've noticed when we talk she looks into my eyes and smiles a lot. Just a few days ago she asked me for help on choosing finger nail polish for her finger nails and showing me how to apply it. During that time we talked she turns her head toward me and smiles a lot of. She even let me hold her hair when it was in the way a few times.

I'm probably over thinking about this and she is just very friendly to me. I never had a female friend so I guess this is why I have a hard time knowing stuff :/

Hey guys, a general question for everyone. Do some women wear rings on ringfingers even when not married? I am interested in someone, and she is somewhat flirty with me. But she has a ring on her left hand ringfinger. I am not sure if she's married, and i cant think of an offhand way to ask in the work environment that we meet in. I'm pretty sure women wearing rings on random fingers as fashion is common lately. If I find she is married, I would not persue her further.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Hey guys, a general question for everyone. Do some women wear rings on ringfingers even when not married? I am interested in someone, and she is somewhat flirty with me. But she has a ring on her left hand ringfinger. I am not sure if she's married, and i cant think of an offhand way to ask in the work environment that we meet in. I'm pretty sure women wearing rings on random fingers as fashion is common lately. If I find she is married, I would not persue her further.

Yeah. My ex wore a ring on her ringfinger. It looked like an engagement ring too.

lunchtoast

Yes my ex just liked those kind of rings.

2nd date with a girl last night. Brought her over to my place and made some dinner. Talked for way too long, should have made a move much earlier because she was waiting for it. Just made out on the couch and cuddled until I had to take her home. Kinda sucks because she's out of town until the 1st. Lots of good texts though, we both like each other.

gaiages

Banned
So gaf, since I'm horrible at reading women's signals if they are interested in me or not I would like to have some advice.

How do I know if they are interested or just being overly friendly? My boss has a cute daughter that works as a female massager and nail technician at the gym I work at. Mind you she has a boyfriend and I would never flirt with someone that has one. We never talked that much over a year ago but since I've gone down in weight and started training roughly 9 months ago we started to talk to each other. we talk from time to time and lately I've noticed when we talk she looks into my eyes and smiles a lot. Just a few days ago she asked me for help on choosing finger nail polish for her finger nails and showing me how to apply it. During that time we talked she turns her head toward me and smiles a lot of. She even let me hold her hair when it was in the way a few times.

I'm probably over thinking about this and she is just very friendly to me. I never had a female friend so I guess this is why I have a hard time knowing stuff :/

She has a boyfriend, even if she is flirting with you who cares.

Also daughter of the manager? Even if she was single that'd be a no fly zone.

Just ignore it, if you feel she's being flirty talk to her less. Also why the fuck you holding her hair or whatever, what does that even mean???

It's a ring finger, you're supposed to put all your rings on it, engagement or not! :p Also since most people are right handed wearing a ring on the left ring finger is most comfortable, regardless of mixed signals. Just ask :p

M52B28

Banned
So gaf, since I'm horrible at reading women's signals /
It sounds like you two are being playful. I like to play around like what you've been doing. The holding hair bit is confusing to me, though.

I can't really bridge a gap between me being playful or flirtatious. Either way, it's just fun. Treat it like that.

___
How distant are you all when it comes to SMS or instant messaging? I absolutely hate it, but I've noticed how I've not engaged the woman I've been talking to since last Monday. I absolutely love talking to her in person, but I find messaging to feel very forced.

It's a little late, so I plan on messaging her tomorrow to see how she's doing.

Nudull

Banned
I've been doing decently on OKC for the past few months (mostly thanks to me realizing my dating niches), but part of me is still tempted to drop money on A-List to see if things improve even further. Anyone want to chime in with experience?

So asked girl if she wanted to go to this Christmas market together next weekend, her response was "Got preliminary plans with friends, but will let you know whether they're going ahead or not :)"

I've had more definite instances of being fobbed off, but I've experienced enough to know she probably won't just get in touch again and say "I'm free :)". I'm going to leave it though, want to appear aloof, and if she wants to, she wants to I guess.

bluethree

Ugh I hate that shit and refuse to deal with it any longer. In my case, I would just tell her outright (as nicely as possible) that I'm not interested in waiting around for a maybe, and perhaps we could do something different if she can lock down a specific date. If you don't mind waiting though even if it might be BS, that's also fine.

This is like when you hear "I'm busy" - chances are it's a blow off but there's the rare case where it's not.

So asked girl if she wanted to go to this Christmas market together next weekend, her response was "Got preliminary plans with friends, but will let you know whether they're going ahead or not :)"

I've had more definite instances of being fobbed off, but I've experienced enough to know she probably won't just get in touch again and say "I'm free :)". I'm going to leave it though, want to appear aloof, and if she wants to, she wants to I guess.

Make alternate plans.

Do not alter them, even if she ends up contacting you.

Yeah, good shout guys. Always a chance it could be genuine, but if you want to see someone, you want to see them. A little tired of game playing, but I know it's all part and parcel of it.

Been feeling quite good about being single and not tied down recently, it's really nice.

Roufianos

I've been dating a girl with FFs for about a month now and joking telling every girl I know that I'm never dating a girl with smaller than DDs again.

They call me sexist and shallow. I respond by asking how it's any different to a girl wanting a guy who's 6ft. They don't have an answer.

IC5

Yeah, good shout guys. Always a chance it could be genuine, but if you want to see someone, you want to see them. A little tired of game playing, but I know it's all part and parcel of it.

Been feeling quite good about being single and not tied down recently, it's really nice.
Making other plans is the test. People have friends, they are important. If she agrees to other plans which aren't at risk for overlap, she wants to see you.

bluethree

Making other plans is the test. People have friends, they are important. If she agrees to other plans which aren't at risk for overlap, she wants to see you.

Yes, exactly. As I said, just try some other event or other time and make your intentions clear. No use in playing games, acting aloof, making other plans on that same day and ignoring her if she reaches out. That's bullshit.

So many people assume game playing or will tell you to move on unless a girl is practically throwing herself at you, which is silly.

I've been dating a girl with FFs for about a month now and joking telling every girl I know that I'm never dating a girl with smaller than DDs again.

They call me sexist and shallow. I respond by asking how it's any different to a girl wanting a guy who's 6ft. They don't have an answer.

Of course they don't have an answer. They haven't been lectured ad nauseam about gendered double-standards like we have.

It's like when women my age get pissy because single guys my age go after girls in their early-to-mid 20s. They get all huffy until you ask who they were into that age; then they shut up.

Yes, exactly. As I said, just try some other event or other time and make your intentions clear. No use in playing games, acting aloof, making other plans on that same day and ignoring her if she reaches out. That's bullshit.

So many people assume game playing or will tell you to move on unless a girl is practically throwing herself at you, which is silly.

Don't listen to this guy.

Setting alternate plans is fine. Just as she is free to set her schedule to her whims, you are free as well. Neither of you has any obligation to the other.

FWIW, unlike what this person is suggesting, I don't recall saying you should ignore her if she reaches out. That would be silly. If she contacts you, just tell her that something else came up. You don't need to go into detail. Be polite and friendly, but mystery is fine.

This is not game-playing or manipulation; it is establishing that you and your time are valuable. If she wants to have fun with you, then she is free to make grown-up choices and prioritize you over some other compelling option. If she is not able to do that, then it's her loss and life will go on.

TipsyArchmage

Neo Member

I mean yeah it's a double standard

But that seems like a bizzare and lame thing to go around telling people

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Either way it makes you weird

How does that even come up... That's just incredibly weird if you just keep bringing it up hoping to pick a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom