• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booser

I think its my first time being ghosted by a tinder date I actually liked. So far it's always been me cutting things off. Karma I guess but it still sucks.

Went on a first date, had a good time. Neither of us did the whole "lets do it again sometime!" but she continued to text throughout the week and mentioned she wanted to go for dinner sometime but was very non committal. We didn't meet up this weekend. I was busy and she was going "out for dinner" and "visiting a friend". That's usually tinder code for another date right? Anyway I haven't heard from her since then, and I haven't pushed it.

Damn. Just when you find one you really like.

I shouldn't complain about being messaged first, but they send such boring messages and it's hard for the conversation to be very engaging after that point, even if I try to steer it in a more lighthearted direction. I'm realizing that many of these people have no game whatsoever

Yeah, tinder conversations like that are frustrating as hell.

WolfeTone

I think its my first time being ghosted by a tinder date I actually liked. So far it's always been me cutting things off. Karma I guess but it still sucks.

Went on a first date, had a good time. Neither of us did the whole "lets do it again sometime!" but she continued to text throughout the week and mentioned she wanted to go for dinner sometime but was very non committal. We didn't meet up this weekend. I was busy and she was going "out for dinner" and "visiting a friend". That's usually tinder code for another date right? Anyway I haven't heard from her since then, and I haven't pushed it.

Damn. Just when you find one you really like.

She might be waiting for you to plan something. I would suggest messaging her with a dinner plan firmly in mind: "Hey let's go for that date, dinner at Restaurant X on Saturday at 7pm?"

If she doesn't reply, you'll know where she stands. If she says maybe another time, but is non-specific, I think you also know where she stands.

Booser

She might be waiting for you to plan something. I would suggest messaging her with a dinner plan firmly in mind: "Hey let's go for that date, dinner at Restaurant X on Saturday at 7pm?"

If she doesn't reply, you'll know where she stands. If she maybe another time, but is non-specific, I think you also know where she stands.

Hmmmm maybe. I'm a great believer in the theory that if someone likes you they'll show it. Unless they're really shy. I didn't get the impression she was overly shy. Plus I'm not really in the mood to chase after people who don't want to be chased.

Hmmmm maybe. I'm a great believer in the theory that if someone likes you they'll show it. Unless they're really shy. I didn't get the impression she was overly shy. Plus I'm not really in the mood to chase after people who don't want to be chased.

There may be a number of reasons. I dated a girl who was crazy for me but didn't want to interrupt me at work so she never texted during the day unless I initiated.

Some women still think the guy should do the chasing / planning of dates for the first few times until they're comfortable with him.

Up to you, but don't assume you've been ghosted until you put the ball in her court and don't get it back.

WolfeTone

What if she feels the same way? What if she believes that if you really like her, you'll ask her out on a second date? The fact that she's still messaging you after your first date is a fairly positive sign that she's interested. Combined with her hinting at a second date would suggest to me that she's into you.

Some people just don't like planning things. If you liked her, don't miss the opportunity to date her again because you're waiting for her to ask you out.

bluethree

What if she feels the same way? What if she believes that if you really like her, you'll ask her out on a second date? The fact that she's still messaging you after your first date is a fairly positive sign that she's interested. Combined with her hinting at a second date would suggest to me that she's into you.

Some people just don't like planning things. If you liked her, don't miss the opportunity to date her again because you're waiting for her to ask you out.

This. People show their interest in different ways, approach dating in different ways, or in other cases may genuinely have other things going on getting in the way. Just because she doesn't do X Y or Z doesn't mean she doesn't like you - the world is a little more complicated than that. She's still engaging with you so nothing wrong with asking.

Also I just wouldn't engage with someone who sends really dull messages. I'm a strong believer that you don't have to be an entertainer or overly interesting in those convos, but if she isn't putting any effort in I bail.

That said, in the past some girls I met who sent really short messages ended up being the total opposite and really talkative in real life.

WolfeTone

Also I just wouldn't engage with someone who sends really dull messages. I'm a strong believer that you don't have to be an entertainer or overly interesting in those convos, but if she isn't putting any effort in I bail.

That said, in the past some girls I met who sent really short messages ended up being the total opposite and really talkative in real life.

That's been my experience too. Their ability to send interesting messages rarely translates perfectly into real life.

Usually I put very little effort into the first message, I find something funny about her profile or make some absurd statement and usually line up a face to face meeting within a couple of messages. When girls message me first, they tend to be conversation pieces like "tell me about your job" or "where are you from". Gotta steer them away from that asap before mutual boredom sets in.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Kdje7w6.jpg

I'm curious how the rest of you handle this?

Tinder conversations just get so random sometimes, like I'll have like 5 messages with one girl and suddenly never anything ever again from them. For some reason Super Likes do this a lot. Like I guess people just forget or I somehow became boring within 4 messages? Sometimes they'll last days and I will have even asked them out then bam unmatched. I also never try to ask someone out the first day anymore, in my experiences they always flake and never respond later if you go that fast. Getting a number or snapchat is as far as I go on the first day now.

^ GK86 haven't been in this situation but honestly this doesn't seem that difficult or something to worry about, like just get them something similar to an interest they've talked about. You can find a lot of stuff that's super cheap/inexpensive that's still cool as a gift online.

Had a date last night, thought it went super well! We both seemed to click really well, way better than like the past 3 dates I've gone on. We went to dinner and for once I didn't feel awkward eating with someone new lol.

However..... we only used snapchat but idk I told her I had a really good time afterwards and her response was just "That's good" and then after that like one picture then nothing now.

Soo woo?

Set up another date.

I'm curious how the rest of you handle this?

What are their interests?

Not super hard.

For example, I know a friend of mine needed some new shoes and she likes vans so Bam. Got some Vans at a good price for Black Friday.

Another friend plays SMITE, bam. Some in game money so he can get some skins.

Another friend doesn't like spending money on herself but has been talking about wanting to get her hair done. Bam. Gift certificate for a nice salon.

Not super hard, just think about hobbies or interests and make it work. Spend as much as you feel comfortable with. Date ideas work well too, like a pair of tickets to a concert or other event.

What are their interests?

Not super hard.

For example, I know a friend of mine needed some new shoes and she likes vans so Bam. Got some Vans at a good price for Black Friday.

Another friend plays SMITE, bam. Some in game money so he can get some skins.

Another friend doesn't like spending money on herself but has been talking about wanting to get her hair done. Bam. Gift certificate for a nice salon.

Not super hard, just think about hobbies or interests and make it work. Spend as much as you feel comfortable with. Date ideas work well too, like a pair of tickets to a concert or other event.

I think the question posed was more like, "We've gone out on 4 dates but haven't DTR'd anything, and fuck, now Christmas is coming up, what do I do?"

So yeah, it really depends on how long you've been seeing the person and, I suppose, whether you want it to go anywhere. I can say unequivocally that the person I've gone out on 4 dates with right now, I wouldn't be buying her a gift at this point, because I don't really expect it to lead anywhere. Would rather save for a PS4 and FFXV instead.

But yeah, it depends.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I think the question posed was more like, "We've gone out on 4 dates but haven't DTR'd anything, and fuck, now Christmas is coming up, what do I do?"

So yeah, it really depends on how long you've been seeing the person and, I suppose, whether you want it to go anywhere. I can say unequivocally that the person I've gone out on 4 dates with right now, I wouldn't be buying her a gift at this point, because I don't really expect it to lead anywhere. Would rather save for a PS4 and FFXV instead.

But yeah, it depends.

Yeah, that is more of the lines of that what tweet/my post was getting at.

I'm in the same boat as you, 4 or 5 dates by the time Xmas rolls around.

4 or 5 dates? Maybe something small, or just a nice dinner that you can both enjoy. Depends on how hot and heavy things are, I guess.

So I've been dating a girl for around 4 months and last night I declined her offer to meet up for a meal out. I'd been having a shitty day of check-ups with my oncology docs (i'm in remission - s'all good), and this always triggers my anxiety and eating disorder issues that I developed whilst going through chemo. I apologised for being a wet blanket and opened up to her about some of my anxiety issues (this was all via text message fyi) but I never heard anything back in response.

Later whilst browsing Instagram, I see 2 posts from her, out drinking with a mate, and then another post this morning of her having crashed in her mates hotel room overnight. Meanwhile...still no reply to my text.

I don't really know what to think. Am I being hypersensitive? 4 months isn't that long for a relationship, but we've established exclusivity and seem to be on the same page regarding the status of being partners. Did I scare her off with my honesty too early on in a relationship or should this be a red flag for me in terms of her being unsupportive/unable to discuss emotional issues.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

It's gotta be something that you're willing to give someone, while not receiving a gift in return. Because that's really soon. Either nothing, or something like:

Card with some cute shit wrote in it
Bottle of wine
Dinner date or Hot chocolate/coffee out at a nice little romantic spot.
Maybe flowers
A book
Inside joke gift
Small box of chocolate
Cabin Socks (are the fucking best thing ever, but kind of a stretch for 4-5 dates)

Ray Wonder

So I've been dating a girl for around 4 months and last night I declined her offer to meet up for a meal out. I'd been having a shitty day of check-ups with my oncology docs (i'm in remission - s'all good), and this always triggers my anxiety and eating disorder issues that I developed whilst going through chemo. I apologised for being a wet blanket and opened up to her about some of my anxiety issues (this was all via text message fyi) but I never heard anything back in response.

Later whilst browsing Instagram, I see 2 posts from her, out drinking with a mate, and then another post this morning of her having crashed in her mates hotel room overnight. Meanwhile...still no reply to my text.

I don't really know what to think. Am I being hypersensitive? 4 months isn't that long for a relationship, but we've established exclusivity and seem to be on the same page regarding the status of being partners. Did I scare her off with my honesty too early on in a relationship or should this be a red flag for me in terms of her being unsupportive/unable to discuss emotional issues.

How close is this mate to her? Have you met him before? I'm assuming this mate is a dude.

If it was just them, and they are two people that have the potential to hook up, then it's weird that she didn't reply, that's for sure. Especially if you've established exclusivity and have discussed being partners. I mean, are you close enough to her to call?

I can never tell how serious things are with relationships with people on here though. So idk really

How close is this mate to her? Have you met him before? I'm assuming this mate is a dude.

If it was just them, and they are two people that have the potential to hook up, then it's weird that she didn't reply, that's for sure. Especially if you've established exclusivity and have discussed being partners. I mean, are you close enough to her to call?

I can never tell how serious things are with relationships with people on here though. So idk really

All parties involved are female (gay) and yes that included the friend she stayed with last night. From what I recall from past conversations, they've been friends for a few years but her friend has been out of town for a few months until recently. I haven't met her friend but coincidentally, I do work with a girl that she's currently dating (the lesbian dating pool is incredibly small and incestuous...). I don't really know what to think about the overnighter but I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt for now and presume the situtation is platonic.

I could call her but after having my somewhat emotional text ignored, I'm hesitant to do so out of fear of coming across as overly clingy. That said, I also feel pathetically childish and passive aggressive by stubbornly waiting her out for a response.

gaiages

Banned

To me it just sounds like she went out for the night, and is now hungover. I mean if she doesn't bother to answer your text all day that's another thing entirely, but to me it reads that she tried to hang with you, you couldn't, and she made other plans.

In regards to your other response, are you seriously worried that your (presumably straight) girlfriend would have sex with her lesbian friend randomly (WHO IS IN A RELATIONSHIP) because... I don't even know why? Now that is being hypersensitive.

To me it just sounds like she went out for the night, and is now hungover. I mean if she doesn't bother to answer your text all day that's another thing entirely, but to me it reads that she tried to hang with you, you couldn't, and she made other plans.

Fair point. I might be overthinking. I'm just a little sensitive/anxious at the mo thanks to the aforementioned doctor's appointment.

In regards to your other response, are you seriously worried that your (presumably straight) girlfriend would have sex with her lesbian friend randomly (WHO IS IN A RELATIONSHIP) because... I don't even know why? Now that is being hypersensitive.

I'm a lesbian, she's a lesbian. We're all lesbians! And as I said, I'm comfortable assuming it was platonic and am not concerned she's cheating.

In the future talk about that stuff in person. It just doesn't always come across well in text.

I mean, you declined her meal offer which is fine but did you offer up a replacement suggestion? She may have just wanted you to show more interest. If her friend is a guy it's pretty sketch. If it's just another girl (supposing your gf is not bi) I wouldn't really read into it.

Girls go out and post photos on instagram. Not a big deal. Just shoot her a text later about chills and leave the thing be. I honestly dont feel this is a big deal. You can give a better explanation about food later if need be.

Llyranor

I think it is a heavy topic best suited for face-to-face discussion rather than text. But completely ignoring it and going drinking instead sounds insensitive. Is it a red flag? See how she is next time you see her.

gaiages

Banned
Fair point. I might be overthinking. I'm just a little sensitive/anxious at the mo thanks to the aforementioned doctor's appointment.

I'm a lesbian, she's a lesbian. We're all lesbians! And as I said, I'm comfortable assuming it was platonic and am not concerned she's cheating.

Oh, whoops. That's what I get for thinking you were male.
._.

My guess: she saw your text, felt it warranted a more thoughtful response than "k", then made alternate plans with someone else. She's likely hungover but once she sobers up she should be texting you back.

artsi

Met a girl on Tinder, she announced in a very clear way that she's not looking for hookups, and neither am I so that's cool.
Then we chatted a while and asked her out, got her number etc.

Well it's a date this weekend. I suggested coffee first but now she wants to meet at her place ("look at her pets") and my phone is full of her suggestive, sexually loaded texts.

I mean I'm not saying no but... why don't you just admit you're horny af girl.

NhUkMiI.jpg

Met a girl on Tinder, she announced in a very clear way that she's not looking for hookups, and neither am I so that's cool.
Then we chatted a while and asked her out, got her number etc.

Well it's a date this weekend. I suggested coffee first but now she wants to meet at her place ("look at her pets") and my phone is full of her suggestive, sexually loaded texts.

NhUkMiI.jpg

She doesn't want to hook up with somebody who just wants to hook up, but she still wants to hook up.

... or you might genuinely be giving her Pomeranian a bath.

NhUkMiI.jpg

Either she really has a cat that enjoys taking baths, or she wants to appear not super horny and promiscuous but still wants to get laid.

A lot of girls on Tinder seem to think it's a bad thing if people find out they want to fuck.

I mean most everyone wants some sex, why do people have to act like it's a crazy notion.

Makonero

Either she really has a cat that enjoys taking baths, or she wants to appear not super horny and promiscuous but still wants to get laid.

A lot of girls on Tinder seem to think it's a bad thing if people find out they want to fuck.

I mean most everyone wants some sex, why do people have to act like it's a crazy notion.

probably because most dudes on tinder just send

dtf?

how big dem titties?

and other such poetic advances.

You can't advertise like that and not expect the weirdos to come out of the darkness.

Ray Wonder

Huh. She dumped me.

Oh well. On to the next one, eh?

Damn. I was afraid something might be going on. 4 months in, and you go out, get drunk, stay in a hotel with someone else, and not reply to a text.

Sorry to hear that, but some people just aren't empathetic to those things, and if you have those issues that you would like to talk about; you should find someone who would talk about them with you.

Even though that might not have been the problem.

You can't advertise like that and not expect the weirdos to come out of the darkness.

Oh for sure, gotta set a bar at least and that seems to be the most common way to do so on Tinder.

Huh. She dumped me.

Oh well. On to the next one, eh?

Sorry to hear that. It sucks when you're feeling good about a relationship but don't get the same sentiments from the other person.

But yeah, hope you enjoyed the fun times and forget the not so fun times.

There will be more people, awesome people.

Online dating is disheartening. What's the secret? I feel like it's just a waste of time.

Try, try and try again. Sometimes you'll get activity and other times absolutely nothing in my experience. Pictures can make a TON of difference too, maybe try taking some new ones, change your bio ect. There's the Online dating thread too btw http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=850646

What sites or even apps are you using? One of the problems I've had with online dating is that multiple sites don't really help since in my area at least, the same 90% of people are on every site anyway.

Try, try and try again. Sometimes you'll get activity and other times absolutely nothing in my experience. Pictures can make a TON of difference too, maybe try taking some new ones. There's the Online dating thread too btw http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=850646

What sites or even apps are you using?

Thanks, will definitely read up on that thread. I'm currently using Tinder & OkCupid. I get matches on Tinder but, it seems impossible to physically meet people on there for me. As far as OkCupid goes, Webster doesn't have the proper amount of words for me to get a response. I've been contemplating getting like a photographer to take some photos for me, but idk if that comes off as super lame or not. Not that I care that much, I'm just not very good with taking photos of myself. Although, I feel like my photos aren't too bad.

Thanks, will definitely read up on that thread. I'm currently using Tinder & OkCupid. I get matches on Tinder but, it seems impossible to physically meet people on there for me. As far as OkCupid goes, Webster doesn't have the proper amount of words for me to get a response. I've been contemplating getting like a photographer to take some photos for me, but idk if that comes off as super lame or not. Not that I care that much, I'm just not very good with taking photos of myself. Although, I feel like my photos aren't too bad.

If you do get some "professional" ones done, idk how everyone else in here feels about those, but I'd limit that to just one for your profile. I think people would be more inclined to like photos that just seem more in the moment, Though you'd probably get the photographer to do some like that anyway. On tinder at least profiles with a lot of those usually always make me go "Fake or a bot" at first glance. Getting friends to take photos while you hang out would probably be best. For me selfies have never turned out very well lol.

How is it hard to meet, are people flaking after you've made plans and stuff? Or just not wanting to do anything at all? And Yeah OkCupid is kind of awful, I've never had any success on there no matter what, but it could just be my area, I'm sure a proper city would be much better for that.

Hey Gaf a friend asked me a few days ago to be his wingman and hook him up with this girl that I used to like(he asked me since he prolly thinks that I have some sort of idea as to approach her or so at least I assume), I have no connections to her friends or very many friends whatsoever... So... What do?

Ps. still in high school

Hey Gaf a friend asked me a few days ago to be his wingman and hook him up with this girl that I used to like(he asked me since he prolly thinks that I have some sort of idea as to approach her or so at least I assume), I have no connections to her friends or very many friends whatsoever... So... What do?

Ps. still in high school

Do you talk to her at all yourself or have any classes with her?

No not really but I do have a single class with her but we sit very far apart from each other so sitting next to her isn't really much of an option

Not sure how much you'll be able to do then, it'd be one thing if you were friends with her or at least were able to talk to her in class. If i ever wanted to talk to a girl in class, it was usually when the class ended and everyone was waiting to leave, usually had something to do with the class itself. Gotta have something to go off of and build on. Any Dances or parties you guys could go to? Could always be nice if you two could meet other people too, focusing on one person isn't always the best. Plus in those situations being a wingman is much more "natural". Does he have any classes with her? Seems like your friend should be the one to try talking to her if he has any chances to.

Not sure how much you'll be able to do then, it'd be one thing if you were friends with her or at least were able to talk to her in class. If i ever wanted to talk to a girl in class, it was usually when the class ended and everyone was waiting to leave, usually had something to do with the class itself. Gotta have something to go off of. Any Dances or parties you guys could go to? Could always be nice if you two could meet other people, focusing on one person isn't always the best. Does he have any classes with her? Seems like your friend should be the one to try talking to her if he has any chances to.

Alright, will try to talk to her towards the end of class and such, however in terms of parties and stuff, she's pretty timid and isn't really the type to go to stuff like that and my friend is of a different grade so he doesn't really have any classes with her, and yeah you're prolly right, he should be trying to talk to her more lol. Anyways thanks for the help guy appreciate it :)

Alright, will try to talk to her towards the end of class and such, however in terms of parties and stuff, she's pretty timid and isn't really the type to go to stuff like that and my friend is of a different grade so he doesn't really have any classes with her, and yeah you're prolly right, he should be trying to talk to her more lol. Anyways thanks for the help guy appreciate it :)

No problem, I'm sure everyone else here will have some other good tips too. Don't try and force anything, just gotta keep it slow for now, and not limit yourselves to just being focused on one person. Dating is a numbers game at the end of the day, it'll hurt more if you get a no after only ever focusing on one person when you're just trying to meet them anyway.

Set up another date.

As an update on this, she opened it and didn't respond soooooo yeah woo... If she responds later cool, but on to the next I guess.

Salamando

Right, photos. One selfie is okay, but it better be the best damn representation of you. If your profile is all selfies, girls will subconciously wonder "Does he not have any friends to take photos for him?"

Your profile should have at least three pics...one should focus your face (you're beautiful dammit!), another should show your entire body...include a pics of you socializing (tastefully anonymize your friends so there's no confusion), of you doing some kind of activity (showcase your passions!), of you with a cute pet (if you have one), of you showing some genuine emotion...just remember, a pic is worth a thousand words, so make sure those words are more than "This is me" repeated 333 times.

Oh, and make sure your clothes fit perfectly. You don't want something you're swimming in, and you don't want sausage casing. Google proper fits now, even if you think you know.

For your OKC profile, think of it less as an exposition and more of a creative writing assignment. The more interesting it is, the more interesting girls will think you are. For Tinder...your pics'll do most of the talking.

Finally, be honest with your town's demographics. A hipster in Brooklyn will have much better luck than a Black Muslim woman in Arkansas.

gaiages

Banned
Nice to see that it's not just dudes overthinking things.

Which is what I tell my friends.

Just ask the lady out, don't freak out about it because everyone else is just as much of a mess.

Trust me, most things men do, women do too, especially in terms of relationship stuff (and fuck ups) :p

Meant to say that earlier then got mad lol

Femto.

So I am now 0/5 asking girls out whom I've never met before.

-rest of the post-

I am now 1/6 guys.

I went up to this girl while she was studying with a friend, introduced myself, made a comment about manga since I over heard her and her friend talking about it (they were only a few seats away), chatted for a couple of minutes, and asked her out on a date.

Her initial response was to exchange phone numbers so we could talk about it (she seemed surprised), I message her, and now we are meeting for coffee tomorrow at a place across campus.

Edit: This is the first time I am ever going to meet up with someone, since I usually pick them up from home. I know there is a chance that she could just not show up, do I let her know when I get there? In the past, I just text the girl the same morning if our plans are still good for that day. I haven't been on a date for little over a year now, so yeah, rusty and what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom