• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairyD

Hey guys I got a question.

I'm messaging this girl on OkCupid and we've exchanged about 4-5 messages so far. I'm trying to engage her in a conversation such as asking questions and so on. So far she's been responding to my questions, but doesn't seem to be asking me anything in return.

Should I just cut the conversation or continue asking her things about herself in hopes she asks me something in return?

artsi

I'm messaging this girl on OkCupid and we've exchanged about 4-5 messages so far. I'm trying to engage her in a conversation such as asking questions and so on. So far she's been responding to my questions, but doesn't seem to be asking me anything in return.

Should I just cut the conversation or continue asking her things about herself in hopes she asks me something in return?

I'd just ask her out, you'll find out immediately if she's actually interested.

If not, move on. No need to waste time in a one sided conversation.

Xun

Don't message again, do something to keep yourself occupied and don't keep thinking about it. If she gets back to you, great. If she doesn't, give her some space and maybe try messaging her one more time next week.

No response to that? Time to move on, don't end things by begging for attention. Walk away with some self respect.
Should I not at the very least message her on Friday asking if she's up for Saturday still?

She's back in the US from next week until the 30th.

Things were going so well up until yesterday. Perhaps she's just upset about it all, which is justified, but surely someone wouldn't u-turn from a couple of days before? She couldn't wait to see me again when I left hers Friday morning...

Ughh, I need to stop thinking about it.

Should I not at the very least message her on Friday asking if she's up for Saturday still?

Look, I've been on that end of the spectrum and you need to not worry about it.

Like, it does suck but let's be honest. Try the Brad Pitt rule.

If she was super into you she'd get back to you.

If you have to do all the initiating in this relationship, do you really want that?

Salamando

Things were going so well up until yesterday. Perhaps she's just upset about it all, which is justified, but surely someone wouldn't u-turn from a couple of days before? She couldn't wait to see me again when I left hers Friday morning...

Messaging Friday to confirm is a good idea. Stressing about her lack-of-response is not. As Miles said, occupy your mind so that she's not in it.

No. If she wants to chill Saturday it will come up.

Please chill the fuck out. This is not productive and you aren't even saying anything anymore. You shouldnt be out here internally begging for some girl to like you enough to make it work. How the fuck does that make for a healthy relationship?

Just go do regular people stuff and it is what it is otherwise.

No, I don't think you should. I think you should play it cool and do other stuff so you're not just focused on her. If she wants to hang out on Saturday, she'll let you know.

She hasn't forgotten about Saturday, don't think she has and she needs a reminder. If she doesn't get in touch, that means she doesn't want to hang out but you have to make appear as though it's not a huge deal and you've other got other shit going on so you don't come across as clingy or over-invested.

In fact, I'd forget about sending this "music," as well. Oops! You were so busy doing fucking cool gangster shit all week that you forgot! Next time.

Get your mind on something else. Until then, ACT like your mind is on something else.

If someone says they are sick, there are two possibilities:

1. They are actually sick. They will express regret at cancelling your meetup and work hard to make it up to you by rescheduling. In this case, you should chill and wait for her to respond, because you're assuming #2.
2. They are not sick and are ghosting you. Move on.

Xun

I won't bother to message her then, and if she doesn't respond I'll message in a week or so to see how she's doing back home in the US and end it at that. I do feel weird since we messaged each other a lot each day, but I guess that's what needs to be done.

It's not going to make things any easier knowing I'm going to potentially be a walking plague the next few months, otherwise I'd head back on Tinder to take my mind off of her.

What a truly great end to an absolutely shitty year.

If someone says they are sick, there are two possibilities:

1. They are actually sick. They will express regret at cancelling your meetup and work hard to make it up to you by rescheduling. In this case, you should chill and wait for her to respond, because you're assuming #2.
2. They are not sick and are ghosting you. Move on.
I'm not assuming #2 since I know she was actually sick.

We had been on about 6 or so dates and up until yesterday evening things were going great.

The date on Thursday was brilliant and despite not doing anything together (she didn't want to due to her illness, which she then thought was strep) we cuddled all night.

She even text me "After a rather exhausting time spending the whole day with my friend, I wish I had a certain hot someone to cuddle up to. ;)" on Friday evening.

So to go from that to how things are now is a bit of a shock to the system.

bluethree

Been there man, it sucks. Sudden changes in interest happen. I'm taking a break from it all now actually because I was so sick of it happening to me.

The best thing to do now would probably take a break IMO. I tried a bunch of Tinder dates following one great date that ghosted me, and it just didn't help at all. Part of the reason I'm taking a break now is because I was getting tired of it and wanted some space to reflect on things before (probably) jumping back in next year. I dunno your situation at all but maybe that'll help.

This isn't a dating question, but with the advice others have given I think it falls enough in line.

My stylist, we'll call her Josephine, is super cool. We have a lot of the same interests and it's always a good time lobbing jokes back and forth. I always do wish we could chat more than how long it takes to cut my hair.

Would it be weird to ask her to hang out? She's married, and as mentioned above, it's not for dating. I am solely interested in making a new friend.

As mentioned in my previous posts here, my friend network is slim pickings now. I would like to change that.

stn

This isn't a dating question, but with the advice others have given I think it falls enough in line.

My stylist, we'll call her Josephine, is super cool. We have a lot of the same interests and it's always a good time lobbing jokes back and forth. I always do wish we could chat more than how long it takes to cut my hair.

Would it be weird to ask her to hang out? She's married, and as mentioned above, it's not for dating. I am solely interested in making a new friend.

As mentioned in my previous posts here, my friend network is slim pickings now. I would like to change that.
I personally wouldn't. You can explain to her a million times that its not about dating, she either subconsciously won't believe you or who knows what else. Her being married may also mean that she'll be naturally defensive to the idea of hanging out with a single guy alone. I mean, maybe this can work. But there are just so many easier ways to meet people. Try meetup.com. Join a club. Meet people at the gym, at concerts, etc...

Yeah, it's possible. There's nothing wrong with bringing it up. Another angle is seeing if you and Josephine's husband have any common interests. Women love to arrange play dates for their SOs.

I won't bother to message her then, and if she doesn't respond I'll message in a week or so to see how she's doing back home in the US and end it at that. I do feel weird since we messaged each other a lot each day, but I guess that's what needs to be done.

It's not going to make things any easier knowing I'm going to potentially be a walking plague the next few months, otherwise I'd head back on Tinder to take my mind off of her.

What a truly great end to an absolutely shitty year.

I'm not assuming #2 since I know she was actually sick.

We had been on about 6 or so dates and up until yesterday evening things were going great.

The date on Thursday was brilliant and despite not doing anything together (she didn't want to due to her illness, which she then thought was strep) we cuddled all night.

She even text me "After a rather exhausting time spending the whole day with my friend, I wish I had a certain hot someone to cuddle up to. ;)" on Friday evening.

So to go from that to how things are now is a bit of a shock to the system.

I still don't actually understand what is wrong?

She has mono and you're talking less because she is sick.

Where exactly is the issue? Am I missing something?

Let's go with #1 then. She's genuinely sick, and coupled with her family issues and packing for her pending trip is too busy to keep up your frequent texting.

You went on 6 dates and she seems genuinely interested in you. Give her the benefit of the doubt, but in the meantime don't worry about not hearing from her until Friday (when you'll check in to confirm your Saturday date).

Xun

I still don't actually understand what is wrong?

She has mono and you're talking less because she is sick.

Where exactly is the issue? Am I missing something?

Let's go with #1 then. She's genuinely sick, and coupled with her family issues and packing for her pending trip is too busy to keep up your frequent texting.

You went on 6 dates and she seems genuinely interested in you. Give her the benefit of the doubt, but in the meantime don't worry about not hearing from her until Friday (when you'll check in to confirm your Saturday date).
Truth be told my anxiety really doesn't help in situations like this.

2 major areas of my anxiety are regarding relationships and health, so it's all spiralling out of control at the moment for obvious reasons.

She's at a concert Friday evening, so I may message her something like this beforehand:

"Are we still on for tomorrow's museum exhibit? Also have fun at tonight's concert! I'm sure it'll be brilliant :)"

She was the one who arranged to go to the exhibit the other week (before anyone asks), which is why I haven't been specific with a time/place.

2 major areas of my anxiety are regarding relationships and health, so it's all spiralling out of control at the moment for obvious reasons.

She's at a concert Friday evening, so I may message her something like this beforehand:

"Are we still on for tomorrow's museum exhibit? Also have fun at tonight's concert! I'm sure it'll be brilliant :)"

She was the one who arranged to go to the exhibit the other week (before anyone asks), which is why I haven't been specific with a time/place.

That's all you have to do. If she doesn't respond or doesn't confirm you're still on, don't stress. You've had fun with her but that's what sucks about dating sometimes, it can end for seemingly no reason.

Here's hoping it doesn't though.

This time of year is so busy. the girl i have been seeing for 2 months is amazing. I am just overly anxious from previous baggage.

I need to calm down and just go with it. Everything says she is 110% on board. New dates planned and a little get away planned in january.

2 weeks between hanging out for more than an hour is rough on my balls and anxiety.

Gonna give a steady relationship a try. Dat FOMO tho...

What.

Congrats!

This time of year is so busy. the girl i have been seeing for 2 months is amazing. I am just overly anxious from previous baggage.

I need to calm down and just go with it. Everything says she is 110% on board. New dates planned and a little get away planned in january.

2 weeks between hanging out for more than an hour is rough on my balls and anxiety.

And -- congrats!

... the holidays are pretty terrible for dating, since they create general fuckery with timelines. I'm having date 4 with the Aya Cash doppelgänger this Friday and, truth be told, I actually want to be exclusive. Things feel right. But it's obviously too early for that, I guess; I'm not worried about things fizzling out between Christmas and New Years, but that's a possibility.

In other news, that hot defense lawyer I briefly dated in 2014 -- who asked me out for a drink last week -- pinged me to see what I was up to this weekend since she'll be in the city. I'll meet up with her, but I'm already intimate with the first girl; I'm not really sure how to play it other than "You're cool but I'm a little wary re: your ex and I want someone local." I'm acutely aware that she's a great catch (both are), and the redhead isn't locked down.

Suppose we'll see.

stn

GAF, here's yet another should-I-ask-my-work-colleague-out question. We work very closely together and I don't even wanna think how awkward things might be if this were to fail. Bleh.

The Pope

Ok so GAF. I did what you you shouldnt do, I fell in love with my exchange student. She is really beautiful. Just before she came, like 5 days before, she got a boyfriend. So I didnt want to be 'that guy' so I didnt keep eye contact for to long and avoided too much physical contact out of respect for him. I serioslu was so attracted I couldnt look into her eyes so long.She stayed with me for over a month. We got along really well. Well 6 months later I am now staying with her family, she had broken up with her bf just a few weeks after arriving back. So I am with her now. Sometimes she seems sad and doesnt make too much eye contact. Other times she just looks at me like I am the only guy in the world. She screenshotted a picture of me and her on my Snapchat Story and it is her Whatsapp profile pictue. What should I do?

Ok so GAF. I did what you you shouldnt do, I fell in love with my exchange student. She is really beautiful. Just before she came, like 5 days before, she got a boyfriend. So I didnt want to be 'that guy' so I didnt keep eye contact for to long and avoided too much physical contact out of respect for him. I serioslu was so attracted I couldnt look into her eyes so long.She stayed with me for over a month. We got along really well. Well 6 months later I am now staying with her family, she had broken up with her bf just a few weeks after arriving back. So I am with her now. Sometimes she seems sad and doesnt make too much eye contact. Other times she just looks at me like I am the only guy in the world. She screenshotted a picture of me and her on my Snapchat Story and it is her Whatsapp profile pictue. What should I do?

Continue your life of monastic celibacy?

But really, we don't know what "I am with her now" means. Are you just staying with her family, or are you actually dating her? Have you ever asked her out? If not, why not? Especially before presumably entering into a really awkward if temporary living arrangement.

I just don't understand the question.

This girl has wanted to be in a relationship with me for almost 2 years now, so it wasn't that difficult to get into. Apparently I have Vern's approval of her, as well.

2 years, what a wait. Did you friend zone her up until now or has it been an on and off sort of thing?

FOMO can be a killer, it's been the reason a lot of my relationships have ended. Girls wondering if they should try something else, not wanting to be tied down while young, etc.

Most of the time they never brought it up to me until after though, which was rough.

brawly

Welcome to dating apps. Already been said, but cut out the bullshit and get straight to asking them out. Saves everyone some time.

She might say "I need to get to know you first" and that should make her ask questions, so it's a win-win situation.

I find that reading this thread can kill FOMO pretty fast.

... the holidays are pretty terrible for dating, since they create general fuckery with timelines. I'm having date 4 with the Aya Cash doppelgänger this Friday and, truth be told, I actually want to be exclusive. Things feel right. But it's obviously too early for that, I guess; I'm not worried about things fizzling out between Christmas and New Years, but that's a possibility.

In other news, that hot defense lawyer I briefly dated in 2014 -- who asked me out for a drink last week -- pinged me to see what I was up to this weekend since she'll be in the city. I'll meet up with her, but I'm already intimate with the first girl; I'm not really sure how to play it other than "You're cool but I'm a little wary re: your ex and I want someone local." I'm acutely aware that she's a great catch (both are), and the redhead isn't locked down.

Suppose we'll see.

4 dates before becoming exclusive isn't unheard of. Don't feel rushed into anything, but this time of year is usually when you meet up with friends and family and the inevitable "so are you seeing anyone" questions come up. Suppose she invites you to a family gathering; are you Aya's friend, or something more?

And the defense lawyer... seems like you just want to be friends and she wants something more? I know you're not exclusive with Aya and one should date other people beforehand, but it seems unfair to her that your expectations do not line up with hers. If in doubt, clear up the situation before you meet.

The Pope

Continue your life of monastic celibacy?

But really, we don't know what "I am with her now" means. Are you just staying with her family, or are you actually dating her? Have you ever asked her out? If not, why not? Especially before presumably entering into a really awkward if temporary living arrangement.

I just don't understand the question.
It is a swap. She spent six weeks with me (I am 17btw) and I am currently spending six weeks with her (and her family). It is a bit akward because we are not like buddies but we still like eachother but it is unspoken. I havent asked her out yet because it would be really akward for her(even more for me) if she indeed doesnt like me and then I have spend the next 5 or so weeks with her. Also upon signing up I was strongly advised to-no matter how attractive the exchange student - not to date.

Salamando

It is a swap. She spent six weeks with me (I am 17btw) and I am currently spending six weeks with her (and her family). It is a bit akward because we are not like buddies but we still like eachother but it is unspoken. I havent asked her out yet because it would be really akward for her(even more for me) if she indeed doesnt like me and then I have spend the next 5 or so weeks with her. Also upon signing up I was strongly advised to-no matter how attractive the exchange student - not to date.

This sounds like a massively bad idea. You're living in her house, with her family...you have no out in case things get awkward. You say you're not buddies, and the only way you know you "like" each other is because of something "unspoken". That sounds more like you projecting your feelings onto her than anything else.

It's not like you said you hang out constantly, have palpable chemistry, and talk about deep subjects until early hours of the morning. That's something. That this girl lived in your house for 6 weeks and you're not even buddies?

Megauap

Long story short: Last wednesday I met a girl at a club. I was just asking if anyone had a cigarette and she gave me one so we started talking. We were both pretty drunk as neither of us remember much of what we talked about but we both know that we had a great time together. She gave me her number (as I had to ask for her name 4 times because I didn't remember) and then I had to go back with my friends (the area were you are allowed to smoke is a terrace outside the club). We continued talking through the night trying to find each other again but we didn't. Fastforward to the next day, I text her saying that I really enjoyed our conversation and some funny stuff. She replied that she had a great time too.
So I immediately ask her if she wants to go have a coffee that same weekend (the sooner the better in my experience). She told me that she had some exams and projects due next week so she couldn't meet me during the weekend (we are both university students). I tell her to let me know when she has time to meet (even thought at that point I thought she would never talk to me again).
Then on sunday night she texts me asking how my weekend was and we continue talking for 2 hours until I go to sleep. I directly ask her which day of this week suits her better to go have a drink but she ignores those messages and just continue talking about something else.
I text her on monday night just to get to know her more and we spend another 2 hours talking. This time I indirectly tell her that I am the one having exams next week (which is true) and she replies saying that she was going to invite me to go to a party with her and some friends. I tell her that I may make an exception if she really wants me to go and she tells me that she will let me know where they will go when they decide where to go.
We haven't talked since then.
What do you guys think about her inviting me to a party with her friends instead of just going for a drink? I think that she is a bit shy but I don't really know.

vern

This girl has wanted to be in a relationship with me for almost 2 years now, so it wasn't that difficult to get into. Apparently I have Vern's approval of her, as well.

She's cute. I'd wifey her, though her forehead is a bit too small.

Pretty interested to see how Zackie handles being tied down and having to deal with real relationship shit.

Godspeed brother.

He lives a pretty similar life to me, so judging by my post about 2 months ago when I said I was giving the relationship thing a try... I give him a month.

Salamando

Long story short: Last wednesday I met a girl at a club. I was just asking if anyone had a cigarette and she gave me one so we started talking. We were both pretty drunk as neither of us remember much of what we talked about but we both know that we had a great time together. She gave me her number (as I had to ask for her name 4 times because I didn't remember) and then I had to go back with my friends (the area were you are allowed to smoke is a terrace outside the club). We continued talking through the night trying to find each other again but we didn't. Fastforward to the next day, I text her saying that I really enjoyed our conversation and some funny stuff. She replied that she had a great time too.
So I immediately ask her if she wants to go have a coffee that same weekend (the sooner the better in my experience). She told me that she had some exams and projects due next week so she couldn't meet me during the weekend (we are both university students). I tell her to let me know when she has time to meet (even thought at that point I thought she would never talk to me again).
Then on sunday night she texts me asking how my weekend was and we continue talking for 2 hours until I go to sleep. I directly ask her which day of this week suits her better to go have a drink but she ignores those messages and just continue talking about something else.
I text her on monday night just to get to know her more and we spend another 2 hours talking. This time I indirectly tell her that I am the one having exams next week (which is true) and she replies saying that she was going to invite me to go to a party with her and some friends. I tell her that I may make an exception if she really wants me to go and she tells me that she will let me know where they will go when they decide where to go.
What do you guys think about her inviting me to a party with her friends instead of just going for a drink? I think that she is a bit shy but I don't really know.

She's too busy to meet during the weekend, but has time to text you for two hours. When asked about a date, she ignores the question. Only when she thinks you're too busy to do anything does she suggest meeting up. And then, when you present attending as a possibility, she waffles with a "we still have to decide". You're still conveniently not fully invited yet.

The Pope

This sounds like a massively bad idea. You're living in her house, with her family...you have no out in case things get awkward. You say you're not buddies, and the only way you know you "like" each other is because of something "unspoken". That sounds more like you projecting your feelings onto her than anything else.

It's not like you said you hang out constantly, have palpable chemistry, and talk about deep subjects until early hours of the morning. That's something. That this girl lived in your house for 6 weeks and you're not even buddies?
Yes, I agree with your assessment. Thanks :). Although I will say we can spend hours late at night talking about philosophy etc. and she is definitely very fond of me and I think I understated the extent to which we get on. The only confusion is really whether she likes me in "that way". I am 80% sure she does. She just treats me differantly to the way she treats her male friends. She acts much more feminine around me. She even said to me "the guy has to make the first move" .She does give me attention on social media and when I posted a picture of myself on Instagram with some other girls she didnt like ot but she still asked me about them as if she was jealous. She also quoted lyrics of my favourite song that I introduced to her as a caption on her Instagram picture. She is very complimentary of me. But alas I agree there are plenty of fish in the sea, at least I know her...maybe a few years down the line we can meet up again. Thanks for reminding me how bad an idea it is lol. Maybe it is me just projecting my feelings.

Megauap

She's too busy to meet during the weekend, but has time to text you for two hours. When asked about a date, she ignores the question. Only when she thinks you're too busy to do anything does she suggest meeting up. And then, when you present attending as a possibility, she waffles with a "we still have to decide". You're still conveniently not fully invited yet.

I thought the same but why text me all of a sudden on Sunday if she has no interest in me?
Will see how it goes but I'm not too comfortable going out with her and some friends to a party. I have to say that until some years ago I was a shy guy so I think I still need some practice before going out to a party with 3 or maybe more girls that I don't know anything about and her too.

1. Use the enter key
2. Do not skip studying to hang with this flake
3. After you do not go out with her, if she messages you again propose date. If she does not confirm literally on the next message delete mumber.
4. She just likes attention

jadedm17

Hey, I know you don't know me and all but do you think it's possible you could give me a ride to leesburg regional hospital. I'm not feeling well at all.

Okay, that one is new... Profile looks legit too, with many pictures, questions and a decent length profile. Never talked before, this is a first message; Complete stranger with a genuine-looking profile.

Okay, that one is new... Profile looks legit too, with many pictures, questions and a decent length profile. Never talked before, this is a first message; Complete stranger with a genuine-looking profile.

Seems legit. Do it. Maybe she'll fall in love with you on the way to the hospital?

share this message with 10 people or she will die and the death will be on your hands jadem

Salamando

Yes, I agree with your assessment. Thanks :). Although I will say we can spend hours late at night talking about philosophy etc. and she is definitely very fond of me and I think I understated the extent to which we get on. The only confusion is really whether she likes me in "that way". I am 80% sure she does. She just treats me differantly to the way she treats her male friends. She acts much more feminine around me. She even said to me "the guy has to make the first move" .She does give me attention on social media and when I posted a picture of myself on Instagram with some other girls she didnt like ot but she still asked me about them as if she was jealous. She also quoted lyrics of my favourite song that I introduced to her as a caption on her Instagram picture. She is very complimentary of me. But alas I agree there are plenty of fish in the sea, at least I know her...maybe a few years down the line we can meet up again. Thanks for reminding me how bad an idea it is lol. Maybe it is me just projecting my feelings.
As awkward as it might be if you're rebuked, it could be worse if you weren't. Her dad won't take kindly to a kid living in his house who's fucking his daughter. If this was an international exchange program, that kinda puts an expiration date on the relationship too.
I thought the same but why text me all of a sudden on Sunday if she has no interest in me?
Will see how it goes but I'm not too comfortable going out with her and some friends to a party. I have to say that until some years ago I was a shy guy so I think I still need some practice before going out to a party with 3 or maybe more girls that I don't know anything about and her too.

She might've just been bored, or just wanted some attention. You go through this thread long enough (a page or three), you'll find plenty of tales of girls who love to text for hours, but never want to meet.

Xun

That's all you have to do. If she doesn't respond or doesn't confirm you're still on, don't stress. You've had fun with her but that's what sucks about dating sometimes, it can end for seemingly no reason.

Here's hoping it doesn't though.
She responded!

I hadn't sent anything to her yet, but she apologised for how she was on Monday and asked how I've been. Based on what she's saying it doesn't sound like she'll want to meet up before she goes away, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'll send a response to her in the morning and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom