• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreD

After dealing with one flaky Tinder match a couple of weeks ago, I just had my first Tinder date ever. We just chatted over a couple of beers for 3 hours straight, no awkward silence or anything. I had a great time and I'm pretty sure she did too.

I walked her back to her car by the end and asked if she'd be willing to go out again soon just before leaving. She said yes, tough she'd have to check her work schedule, but she then asked me to come closer and we kissed. Felt awesome. :)

I'm surprised by how smoothly all this went considering this was my first date since my last and first relationship ended (we broke up almost a year and a half ago). I was a freaking anxious mess the whole day, but it all wore off when I got there. I don't know where this thing will go (she's moving out of town in 2 weeks), but I at least feel like I got some of my game back and I just want to enjoy this as much as possible. :)

Salamando

Oh shit I forgot hahaha I'm 21
Go ahead and now comment about my overthinkingish.

You're inside the "half your age plus seven" guideline.

You went on one date. You don't have to make any serious decision yet; it's not like you're getting married.

Dating girls you otherwise wouldn't date for silly reasons is a good way of finding out how important those reasons are to you. You may end up having a lot of fun, or you could realize you hate gaps for a reason. Whatever happens, you learn.

Servbot24

Banned
You should try Bumble too

Just getting back in the game for the first time in years, so the whole tinder/bumble thing has been interesting
I downloaded Bumble today, is it just me or are the women on there extremely attractive compared to other places? Probably swiped through 100 people and half of them looked like models.

You're inside the "half your age plus seven" guideline.

You went on one date. You don't have to make any serious decision yet; it's not like you're getting married.

Dating girls you otherwise wouldn't date for silly reasons is a good way of finding out how important those reasons are to you. You may end up having a lot of fun, or you could realize you hate gaps for a reason. Whatever happens, you learn.
I mean I did have fun we could have talked a lot more but it was late, I feel she is a interesting person but well I don't know hahaha she is so experienced and I am in the other side I have no experience at all in dating.

Lulubop

200_s.gif

It's not that serious

jadedm17

Yea, wtf? Square one? She said to "make it up", youre all clear and overthinking this far beyond i can imagine. So far beyond. Breathe.

Akward happens in life and you move on; She already has.

If it were me id grab the back of her head the second i saw her and get my kiss then say "I couldnt wait any longer".

Kinda laughed it off and said sorry, thankfully we didn't try to keep at it because at that point the embarrassment was off the charts.

I hope you're using "thankfully" ironically here, because that was the exact moment to double down and go to town, buddy. You fucked up. Don't fuck it up next time!

ffuckinggoddamnit

So a little bit of background. I've been asked out a few times in the past few years by women, one of which I actually went out with and had a good time but we never escalated it from there and I let it go because I was going through a phase where I feel like I'm not happy with my life rn and don't want to involve others in it until I'm satisfied with where I'm at. I've since realized that's a pretty dumb and unrealistic philosophy and it'll be forever before I date if I kept that up.The point of this all is that my experience is seriously almost non-existent.

So onto the present: I met a girl at a mutual friend's party, she's 5 years younger than me so despite being attracted to her I kinda kept my distance. Well turned out she was interested in me and she wanted him to give me her number so we talked and I ended up setting a date up. Date went good, we've hung out since and went out for a movie today. I'm at her house to drop her off and keep in mind the street is dark, my car is dark af, but she moves in to kiss me and my dumb ass decided to fuck it up by moving in as well, my brain just felt in the moment that I didn't want to look disinterested. Problem is I couldn't see shit and she was already fast on target and we just kinda collided and it was pretty awkward. Kinda laughed it off and said sorry, thankfully we didn't try to keep at it because at that point the embarrassment was off the charts. Soon enough she was out the door and we said our goodbyes. I pulled around to a parking lot and texted her right away saying "<her name> I owe you better, couldn't see xD" and texted her goodnight just to get it off my chest and hopefully calm the air. A few min later she responded "Well then I hope you'll make it up to me, ;)". So on the plus side it sounds like we still okay and I didn't completely FUBAR what we had going. On the negative side for me, like I said my experience is lacking so despite feeling confident I can do better actually seeing her I feel like I have set her up for disappointment already and am struggling with; where to go from here and how I'm going to not make this awkward.

Just feels like I'm back at square one with more pressure than ever when things were going good before then.

Lol, relax, she wants you to kiss her again.

jadedm17

I hope you're using "thankfully" ironically here, because that was the exact moment to double down and go to town, buddy. You fucked up. Don't fuck it up next time!

This too, you turned a momentary awkward moment into a longer one. Shes spending her time with you and clearly wanted a kiss, thats when you stop overthinking.

Xun

It probably is a waste of time. No relationship should be this much work this early. It should be fun, light-hearted, and passionate. Both parties should be excited and eager to spend time together - and getting intimate together. From your description, she seemed pretty straightforward: she doesn't see this developing into anything with how it's currently playing out.

Give it the couple of weeks if you'd like, but unless you can somehow instill a strong romantic connection between the two of you within this arbitrary time limit, it probably won't change the inevitable outcome.

I think she wanted to end it right then and there but gave you a chance at the end. Sure circumstances got in the way (illness, travel, holidays) but if the attraction is there, it won't affect things. I believe you said you went on 4 (or was it 6) dates before she left for the US? That should be enough time to establish exclusivity or some sort of commitment.

I would probably end it. No sense making yourself uncomfortable trying to change for her sake.
It was fun, lighthearted and passionate for the majority of our dates (8 overall). The vibe on our earlier dates was great, and I could tell she was feeling the same way. She was always so eager to meet up with me again, but things just hit the gutter when she became sick and went back to the US for Christmas.

I said to her (perhaps I shouldn't have? I don't know), that I don't feel our lack of intimacy/getting physical has helped in the situation at all in "opening up" either. We seemed to be going at a decent pace and then things just came to a standstill completely. It's simply not healthy and I said this after she compared us to her friends new relationship who've been dating for about the same time.

I think I'm going to give it a couple of days and then just end it. It's frustrating since this is the first time I've met someone where I personally feel a connection, but obviously it wasn't meant to be.

At the moment I'm finding it hard not to keep blaming myself for things going this way, but truth be told I doubt I'm the one at fault here.

Edit: Since she took the time to speak to me in person, should I do the same or just end it via text? I don't think I could wait another 2 weeks before that to be honest.

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm not sure that's being very nice to Thai and Philippine women...

Hold up - why are you referring to Thai or Filipino women as someone to be dated only out of desperation? As if they'd want to date someone who's only interested because of a lack of other options.

If you want advice on how to improve so that more girls want to date, tell us what you've done already. Post pics, post your profile, post something. We will help. If you're just here to mourn your failures, we can't do shit.

This racist ass bullshit is not deserving of pity and or help. What the fuck is this?

Give your head a fucking shake.

That's a pretty awful thing to say.

If it is reflective of your general disposition, I can't possibly imagine why you aren't scooping up the ladies.

Aside from your blatant, disgusting racism, your attitude is awful. No one wants to date a self-pitying, desperate guy like you're coming off as. Take a long break and work on your attitude and confidence. Maybe try joining some clubs and meet people in real life when you're feeling better.

It probably is a waste of time. No relationship should be this much work this early. It should be fun, light-hearted, and passionate. Both parties should be excited and eager to spend time together - and getting intimate together. From your description, she seemed pretty straightforward: she doesn't see this developing into anything with how it's currently playing out.

Give it the couple of weeks if you'd like, but unless you can somehow instill a strong romantic connection between the two of you within this arbitrary time limit, it probably won't change the inevitable outcome.

I apologise for my post, it wasn't meant to be racist and it came out wrong. its just something I keep hearing from people I know that I should date Thai or Pilipino women. I didn't meant that Thai or Filipino women are desperate.

And being desperate is because everyone I know is starting a family and getting somewhere with their life while I'm just getting older and stomping in he same foot steps.

I've tried most on online dating and going out on clubs or bars are impossible since it just attracts drunks in my little town.

IC5

I downloaded Bumble today, is it just me or are the women on there extremely attractive compared to other places? Probably swiped through 100 people and half of them looked like models.

I haven't used it much,becuase I'm in a rural area. but i'm pretty sure that bumble is padded with bot accounts to try and get you to pay money to to see who is looking at you, etc. Real people are on there. but, co-existing with bots.

After dealing with one flaky Tinder match a couple of weeks ago, I just had my first Tinder date ever. We just chatted over a couple of beers for 3 hours straight, no awkward silence or anything. I had a great time and I'm pretty sure she did too.

I walked her back to her car by the end and asked if she'd be willing to go out again soon just before leaving. She said yes, tough she'd have to check her work schedule, but she then asked me to come closer and we kissed. Felt awesome. :)

I'm surprised by how smoothly all this went considering this was my first date since my last and first relationship ended (we broke up almost a year and a half ago). I was a freaking anxious mess the whole day, but it all wore off when I got there. I don't know where this thing will go (she's moving out of town in 2 weeks), but I at least feel like I got some of my game back and I just want to enjoy this as much as possible. :)
Aww yeah, good work :D
ffuckinggoddamnit

So a little bit of background. I've been asked out a few times in the past few years by women, one of which I actually went out with and had a good time but we never escalated it from there and I let it go because I was going through a phase where I feel like I'm not happy with my life rn and don't want to involve others in it until I'm satisfied with where I'm at. I've since realized that's a pretty dumb and unrealistic philosophy and it'll be forever before I date if I kept that up.The point of this all is that my experience is seriously almost non-existent.

So onto the present: I met a girl at a mutual friend's party, she's 5 years younger than me so despite being attracted to her I kinda kept my distance. Well turned out she was interested in me and she wanted him to give me her number so we talked and I ended up setting a date up. Date went good, we've hung out since and went out for a movie today. I'm at her house to drop her off and keep in mind the street is dark, my car is dark af, but she moves in to kiss me and my dumb ass decided to fuck it up by moving in as well, my brain just felt in the moment that I didn't want to look disinterested. Problem is I couldn't see shit and she was already fast on target and we just kinda collided and it was pretty awkward. Kinda laughed it off and said sorry, thankfully we didn't try to keep at it because at that point the embarrassment was off the charts. Soon enough she was out the door and we said our goodbyes. I pulled around to a parking lot and texted her right away saying "<her name> I owe you better, couldn't see xD" and texted her goodnight just to get it off my chest and hopefully calm the air. A few min later she responded "Well then I hope you'll make it up to me, ;)". So on the plus side it sounds like we still okay and I didn't completely FUBAR what we had going. On the negative side for me, like I said my experience is lacking so despite feeling confident I can do better actually seeing her I feel like I have set her up for disappointment already and am struggling with; where to go from here and how I'm going to not make this awkward.

Just feels like I'm back at square one with more pressure than ever when things were going good before then.
Romcom in the making right there.

Kiss With The Lights On

And being desperate is because everyone I know is starting a family and getting somewhere with their life while I'm just getting older and stomping in he same foot steps.

Slow down, life isn't a race. I know that feeling of being left behind I went through it in my late 20's. It doesn't matter if you have a family later, you have the advantage of freedom that those married couples don't have. Worked for me as I was older experienced and my company was able to send me abroad working as I had no strings and that really advanced my career. Also stop feeling sorry for yourself, it's unattractive and women can pick up on that.

Fucking weddings.

My week so far. Monday evening was venue exploring, this wasn't terrible and we ended up picking a nice hotel with a nice garden and option for indoors or outdoors setup.

Yesterday was picking invitations. Jesus fucking Christ, there were a fucking hundred or more templates for these pieces of shit. So being a cunt I said can't we just email invitations, not a good fucking idea. I got a fucking talking to like I'm a child and I'm getting the cold shoulder today, but not enough to not tell me we have cake tasting tonight.

Fucking hell. Cake tasting? What happened to just picking one of the towering cunts and being done with it?

Fucking weddings.

I apologise for my post, it wasn't meant to be racist and it came out wrong. its just something I keep hearing from people I know that I should date Thai or Pilipino women. I didn't meant that Thai or Filipino women are desperate.

I've tried most on online dating and going out on clubs or bars are impossible since it just attracts drunks in my little town.

Why are you racing to catch up with other people? Fuck 'em. Don't worry about what others are doing, worry about yourself and focus on fixing your issues like the crippling desperation you seem to be suffering from.

Try doing things you wouldn't normally do to meet people, don't keep sticking to the same places, same rounties, etc. Try speed dating?

Fucking weddings.

My week so far. Monday evening was venue exploring, this wasn't terrible and we ended up picking a nice hotel with a nice garden and option for indoors or outdoors setup.

Yesterday was picking invitations. Jesus fucking Christ, there were a fucking hundred or more templates for these pieces of shit. So being a cunt I said can't we just email invitations, not a good fucking idea. I got a fucking talking to like I'm a child and I'm getting the cold shoulder today, but not enough to not tell me we have cake tasting tonight.

Fucking hell. Cake tasting? What happened to just picking one of the towering cunts and being done with it?

Fucking weddings.

Ah, the fairytale wedding, you know it's usually her mother puling the strings. Hopefully you don't get into crazy debt just for one day. Yeah cake tasting, nobody cares what it tastes like, they just want to see you cut it.

Ah, the fairytale wedding, you know it's usually her mother puling the strings. Hopefully you don't get into crazy debt just for one day. Yeah cake tasting, nobody cares what it tastes like, they just want to see you cut it.

We set a budget and said we'd stick to it no matter what.

It's the fine details that are fucking me up. I'm too laid back for this shit. I mean the invitations, they had the same template for one in like 8 colours. They had rose ones, ones that could have our picture, it was fucking crazy and the prices...£400 for the rose invites. Extorting cunts.

I remember when I handed out birthday invites back in school. They were written on plain paper the night before.

We set a budget and said we'd stick to it no matter what.

It's the fine details that are fucking me up. I'm too laid back for this shit. I mean the invitations, they had the same template for one in like 8 colours. They had rose ones, ones that could have our picture, it was fucking crazy and the prices...£400 for the rose invites. Extorting cunts.

I remember when I handed out birthday invites back in school. They were written on plain paper the night before.

I had a guy with a straight face tell me he'd do my wedding photos for £1000! Everyone on the day took pictures and sent them to me and I choose the best. They were all from digital cameras anyway. Printed and framed with a little photoshop and you cannot tell the difference. You never look at them again anyway after showing them to people once. There's also the wedding tax where they charge you more just because it's a wedding, I booked everything as a 60th birthday party and saved a whole load of money.

This is a bit OT now as this is post dating.

Skinny jeans killed it?

Fling. It was a fling, let's be real.
They're chinos. And I really did go into it with the intention to have something longer term. Just wasn't a match.

Say it ain't so!

Did you last longer than my month and a half with my lady in yunnan? I was excited about that one too ...

Nope. You da king

What's going on? You seemed pretty excited about this one

Can't tame this stallion bro

gazele

Banned

Uhh, yeah, very very pretty women and successful too, and they have to initiate the convo, so you know they're at least somewhat interested if they message you, also good for them cause there's way less guys sending dic picks and dumb things like that

Salamando

I mean I did have fun we could have talked a lot more but it was late, I feel she is a interesting person but well I don't know hahaha she is so experienced and I am in the other side I have no experience at all in dating.

That's the thing with experience. You know how you get more? By dating people!

It's easy to find reasons not to date people. Part of the experience is learning which reasons are important (we disagree on kids, she's a nazi) and which aren't (age gaps).

gaiages

Banned
Fucking weddings.

Fucking weddings.

Stealth brag? ;)

For real though fuck weddings. My dream is to get the paperwork signed in a decent-ish looking dress and getting a nice as fuck dinner with a few friends. Fuck spending $1000s on all that shit. And all that stress and effort! I feel for you, really, I do.

Hell, I wouldn't bother getting married if I didn't want to change my last name :p

This is a No Simp Zone™

Also, I think my short relationship may be over

The bachelor king is back

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
My best friend spent $30k+ on his wedding. And all the while, I was thinking, why?

I would rather put that money towards a house.

My best friend spent $30k+ on his wedding. And all the while, I was thinking, why?

The kind of vacation two people can have with 30K.

Heck, the kind of fun two people can have with 30K.

I think the whole idea of Weddings being this massive thing is a little eh.

But let's be real I don't have to worry about that for a while.

So, is there any useful hint for someone who doesn't have a social life whatsoever...? Also it doesn't help that I don't look good. &#128514;

I had a guy with a straight face tell me he'd do my wedding photos for £1000! Everyone on the day took pictures and sent them to me and I choose the best. They were all from digital cameras anyway. Printed and framed with a little photoshop and you cannot tell the difference. You never look at them again anyway after showing them to people once. There's also the wedding tax where they charge you more just because it's a wedding, I booked everything as a 60th birthday party and saved a whole load of money.

This is a bit OT now as this is post dating.

Fortunately she's good friends with a professional photographer and she offered to do it as her gift to us, but fuck, this whole wedding thing is one huge extortion racket. They jack the prices up by like 25% just because they can.

Cunts. Cunts.

Only have the top layer be an actual designed cake that you can cut, with fake lower layers. Then serve people costco cake.

I'd love to do this. Seriously.

Stealth brag? ;)

For real though fuck weddings. My dream is to get the paperwork signed in a decent-ish looking dress and getting a nice as fuck dinner with a few friends. Fuck spending $1000s on all that shit. And all that stress and effort! I feel for you, really, I do.

Hell, I wouldn't bother getting married if I didn't want to change my last name :p

I'm seriously on edge. I had no idea it would balloon as it has. There's magazines everywhere, her friends are constantly blowing up her phone and group chats, her mum is stressing because she wants to contribute but can't and then there's this garbage about seating arrangements that's literally sucking the life right out of me.

Fucking weddings.

So, is there any useful hint for someone who doesn't have a social life whatsoever...? Also it doesn't help that I don't look good. &#128514;
Start going to the gym, get yourself a nice haircut, grow a beard (trim the thing though, don't let it go crazy), work on your closet/clothing style, engage in more social activities. Use meetup to see if there's anything interesting happening around you. Just don't sit at home playing videogames/reading memes all day. Put in some work!

Extravagant weddings are for chumps.

It's not even extravagant. We set the budget at £8k including the cost of honeymoon. Just over £1k of that has gone on the hotel, another £400 on the invites, still don't have an estimate for the wedding dress or the bridesmaids dress (we have to pay for that shit? Fucking ridiculous) and then there's the catering, cake and I need a new suit apparently because I can't get married in any of the ones I already have.

Shit's fucking ridiculous. It's not even the money, it's the non stop hassle and stress. Literally everything is revolving around the planning wedding right now.

30k?

Why? I wont even spend $30k on myself for fin shit in like 10 hell 20 years. Whybyou gon put that all in one day? Is your friend paying?

fireflame

I am 31 years old and i have never had a single love relationship in my life, for various reasons, one of them being that i could not trust people not trust myself wwhen i was younger. I have been unemployed since 2009 and it had a devastating impact on my social life, which was already rather empty. I have what you can call "virtual friends" online and that is all.

I have listened to various advices, like "go out more often, join groups,etc", but this is something uneasy because i have always been rather lonely since my childhood, i cannot really tell you "I started being/feeling like that" when i was xx years. I never figured how teenagers could start relationships so young, back then i was just pretending to not care and focus on work, which was something i could have control on.
I can say i have sometimes felt attracted to women, but i never experienced pure love,i tend to always analyse things by putting pluses and minuses, questioning, weighing the risks,etc.

Attempts to use a dating website failed and were rather frustrating. It was like everyone had high standards and specific expectations that were not possible to fulfil(to me). I have kept hoping, that destiny would make things happen but so far it did not.
I think what made me stay alone was the feeling i had to not fit in this world, and events i had lived at school like harassment, which had made me think i was ugly or not normal. With the time, i have relativized a bit all that, but there are still a lot of stones on the path.
It is not something that is taught at school and there does not seem to be a universal recipe.

Recurrent thoughts are "can I be important for someone outside of my family, is it important"?, "I do not find love, but well after all many people seem to suffer, divorces are common , etc and media try to say the time of exclusiverelationships is over", "how do these people proceed to be in love or have someone fall in love for them",etc.

I don't know, my sister had a big Pakistani wedding here in UK with like 100s of people, but I had a lot of fun arranging the seat planning with my dad and an uncle. We managed it all so well. It was the good kind of stress, eustress. I had fun greeting the hundreds of people as the older brother. Running around the venue, making sure the bride gang was there before the groom gang. Making sure the photographers knew what to do. The DJ, too. Bribing the groom's family for money before they could enter. You'll only understand if you're desi heh, I got £300 :D.

Before this I was anti-big weddings but now I've turned around when I've seen how well managed my sister's was.

Attempts to use a dating website failed and were rather frustrating. It was like everyone had high standards and specific expectations that were not possible to fulfil(to me). I have kept hoping, that destiny would make things happen but so far it did not.
I think what made me stay alone was the feeling i had to not fit in this world, and events i had lived at school like harassment, which had made me think i was ugly or not normal. With the time, i have relativized a bit all that, but there are still a lot of stones on the path.
It is not something that is taught at school and there does not seem to be a universal recipe.

You're right, attraction and emotions are not something you can really learn in school or have a one size fits all guide for.

However, you've got just as much right to "fit in" in this world as anyone else, and no one really "fits in" anyways.

Fuck that nonsense.

Are you still unemployed? That can be quite a hindrance on what you can do / spend time and money on, understandably.

But what makes you feel you can meet up to the standards of people on the internet / dating sites? You gotta remember, almost everyone is a mess in and of themselves. Some less than others, but everyone's got their own issues.

The standards you think you can't meet, do you want to meet them? If not, then you'll have to find people that also don't care. If you do, you have to go make it happen.

Like me for example. I used to be in great shape. Then I got fatter. I can still lift and work out more than most people but it's slowly slipping away from me because I got depressed after a breakup last year. This year I'm taking it back, not just because I know a more attractive body will help me find potential dates, but also because I need to prove to myself that I'm not giving up on myself or on being the best I can be.

clean up

put yourself out there

don't fear rejection

accept rejections and move on

Yep. Put on your game face, you won't know until you try.

Better to try and fail and learn than to never try because you think you'll fail right out the gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom