• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna pass on Titans. Titans hunt was terrible to me. The latest interview about a certain character
Nightwing
doesn't give me much optimism to look forward to it and give it a chance.

I'll pass and just read summaries or won't even bother with that.

Not liking the potential Donna & Roy romance they also hinted at returning.

shoreu

Is Roy Harper supposed to be a hot head and angsty. Watching young justice for the first time and he acts just like the live action arsenal

He's grown past that anger Him and green arrow fell out because he was a Heroin addict (now alcoholic) but they've slowly gotten on better terms the hate and parinoia are YJ only.

I'm going to be trying out the first issue of pretty much everything but I'm pretty sure this'll be my final list of books:
  • Aquaman
  • Batgirl and the Birds of Prey
  • Batgirl
  • Harley Quinn
  • Superman
  • Action Comics
  • Detective Comics
  • Batman
  • Nightwing
  • Green Lanterns(?)
  • Blue Beetle
  • Deathstroke
  • Earth 2
  • Flash(?)
  • Justice League(?)
  • Suicide Squad
  • Supergirl
  • Titans
  • Wonder Woman
  • All-Star Batman
  • Gotham Academy
  • New Super-Man
  • Super Sons
  • Superwoman(?)

I'll trade wait a few I think. Bombshells and Legend Of Wonder Woman are the digital books I'll continue to follow.

NeonZ

What's the reference to the skies turning red mean?

Crisis on Infinite Earths. The skies turned red for a while before the event started. In fact, several tie in titles became known as "Red Sky" tie ins because the only reference to the event was the skies being colored red.

What's the reference to the skies turning red mean?

One of DCs issues with cross promotion of metaplot stuff is that books often get tagged as tie ins when there's no real relationship to the big metaplot. The seminal example of this kind of thing comes from Crisis on Infinite Earth were some of the tie in books literally had one page where the skies turned red (as a result of stuff happening in the event) and characters commenting on it and then the plot of the book went on completely unchanged by this. TV Tropes calls it a Red Sky Crossover.

My two hopes for the JSA and legion books are they take place in the past and future respectively.

Judging by the setup , I'm pretty sure they'll at least start in the present.

I'd expect the Legion to end up back in the future since otherwise they are just another superteam since they are from the future they have very little tie in to other characters beside Superman / Supergirl.

The JSA could go either way, the Elder Statesmen of the hero community and the successors of the legacy of the fallen members thing they had going on post-Crisis was actually a pretty solid hook.

I'd expect the Legion to end up back in the future since otherwise they are just another superteam since they are from the future they have very little tie in to other characters beside Superman / Supergirl.

The JSA could go either way, the Elder Statesmen of the hero community and the successors of the legacy of the fallen members thing they had going on post-Crisis was actually a pretty solid hook.

Both Johns and Robinsons run of the books were great for bring that idea to the team.

Squire

Banned
Pretty sure Legion is going to be in the future and rather disconnected from the rest of the universe, at least to start. Seems pretty clear
N52 Supes
is in the future and Saturn Girl is in the present, but presumably going back after she finishes a certain task.

Anyone else going to read Green Lanterns? I know Humphries is typically pretty bad, but I liked his Secret Wars tie-in a lot. GL could be very similar with the character dynamic set-up.

Going to give it a few issues. There are plenty of examples of a writer not clicking with one company and then doing really well elsewhere. I never found Remender's work at DC to be anything special and then he became huge at Marvel.

I wonder why they bother labeling it a #1? Seems odd when they could of just called it Rebirth and it be a stand alone thing. Makes me think there could still be a direct follow up down the line? But that seems like it'd be dumb to then say rebirth 2 after so long.

I wonder why they bother labeling it a #1? Seems odd when they could of just called it Rebirth and it be a stand alone thing. Makes me think there could still be a direct follow up down the line? But that seems like it'd be dumb to then say rebirth 2 after so long.

Pretty sure they always do that. It's just how the distributor system works.

yup they're called one shots and they happen every so often.

What up with thread title change? Not really a reboot at all. Quite the opposite really, they just added elements onto things that already existed. Hell, if anything it's more of a retcon, loosely. The word reboot is losing value quickly, people called IC, Convergence and FC reboots when they so plainly, obviously, weren't.

I get the feeling that there's going to be more events soon, iirc they said they wanted to harken back to Infinite Crisis with a heavy focus on continuity.

Shaanyboi

Banned

One-shots happen all the time, and are almost always labeled #1. Just how it is.

yup they're called one shots and they happen every so often.

What up with thread title change? Not really a reboot at all. Quite the opposite really, they just added elements onto things that already existed. Hell, if anything it's more of a retcon, loosely.

I get the feeling that there's going to be more events soon, iirc they said they wanted to harken back to Infinite Crisis with a heavy focus on continuity.

If they are going to focus more on continuity then they are going to need to cut loose large parts of their editorial staff first. Seriously , Bat Editorial at the moment can't even do consistent characterization and events across a Batfamily Crossover that was obviously written for the Trade (had a very short miniseries as a centre even). They've been saying story over continuity because they can't do continuity. And Bat Editorial is probably one of the better ones consider they handle more closely connected titles than any of the others.

LordRaptor

If they are going to focus more on continuity then they are going to need to cut loose large parts of their editorial staff first. Seriously , Bat Editorial at the moment can't even do consistent characterization and events across a Batfamily Crossover that was obviously written for the Trade (had a very short miniseries as a centre even). They've been saying story over continuity because they can't do continuity. And Bat Editorial is probably one of the better ones consider they handle more closely connected titles than any of the others.

I think there's just a general terror at both DC and Marvel that editorial taking too heavy a hand leads to talent walking, and its a lot easier for talent to walk nowadays as their contributions are so much better understood.
Realistically I don't think we're ever going to see Jim Shooter style editorial control again

I think there's just a general terror at both DC and Marvel that editorial taking too heavy a hand leads to talent walking, and its a lot easier for talent to walk nowadays as their contributions are so much better understood.
Realistically I don't think we're ever going to see Jim Shooter style editorial control again

I don't think absolute editorial control is a good thing either: Countdown had tight editorial control and it makes even the Nu52 crossover incompetence look like coherent and well paced masterpieces.

But you need to find that balance where editorial makes sure characters are consistent (or at least only vary within a plausible range, even supers have good/bad days) and where event crossovers don't have books that contradict each other on the order or nature or outcome of significant events while writers can still tell the stories they want to within those fairly loose bounds (obviously this also means you need to limit the crossovers to like one or so a year too).

And I'd be so much happier if we limited the freaking Crisis Crossovers to like one a Decade , Infinite Crisis , Final Crisis and Flashpoint all happened within a 6 year space with about 2 years before each.

I get the desire to do big line wide crossovers but they really should avoid piling on the big huge change events so close together.

shingi70

Banned

I wouldn't mind that for the JSA, but I've been reading All star squadron and the dynamite pulp books and wouldn't mind seeing the JSA in the forties.

Other than the Big Names, talent back in ye olden days of editorial control was much less valued, generally. Nowadays, nobody's going to insist on having a single person running an entire suite of books, overriding the writers and artists actually making them; the quality pitfalls are just too great to justify the added "consistency." Just hold your nose and recite the MST3K mantra.

Other than the Big Names, talent back in ye olden days of editorial control was much less valued, generally. Nowadays, nobody's going to insist on having a single person running an entire suite of books, overriding the writers and artists actually making them; the quality pitfalls are just too great to justify the added "consistency." Just hold your nose and recite the MST3K mantra.

I don't actually mind people playing "loose" with things as long as they aren't pretending to do tight continuity. If they just want to do this is a Batman story, these are the characters, you work out where in continuity this fits (and don't do something that's blatantly wrong given even a high level overview), I'm happy with that. I really enjoyed the Batman books like Shadow of the Bat and Legends of the Dark Knight, and the Classified books that did stuff like that.

LordRaptor

But you need to find that balance where editorial makes sure characters are consistent (or at least only vary within a plausible range, even supers have good/bad days) and where event crossovers don't have books that contradict each other

Oh, absolutely, don't get me wrong good editorial is a good thing, especially for a serial medium like comics - I just get why 'the big guys' are scared of it.
I think the actual worst editorial I've seen was DC running Starlins Death Of The New Gods mini as a Countdown To Final Crisis, and they both entirely contradict each other, but who are you going to tell to reign it in? Starlin? Morrison?

Dysun

Just got Rebirth #1.

Damn, that's a good comic book.

Sums up my feelings.

Really have a renewed interest in the DCU after this, I had fallen off every book except Snyder Batman and Johns JL. Only shame is Johns won't have an ongoing after this

Pretty sure they always do that. It's just how the distributor system works.

One-shots happen all the time, and are almost always labeled #1. Just how it is.

Ah, makes sense then I guess.

They couldn't even get Alfred's hand right from book to book. It was a personal pet peeve whenever he showed up or was using both hands.

I don't actually mind people playing "loose" with things as long as they aren't pretending to do tight continuity. If they just want to do this is a Batman story, these are the characters, you work out where in continuity this fits (and don't do something that's blatantly wrong given even a high level overview), I'm happy with that. I really enjoyed the Batman books like Shadow of the Bat and Legends of the Dark Knight, and the Classified books that did stuff like that.

They don't pretend that, generally. Continuity is largely preserved from book to book, and across sequential arcs, but in terms of simultaneous events? You just gotta roll with it. Batman has several giant catastrophic problems on his plate constantly, the exact order they transpire in is generally not important. Stuff like Alfred's hand or Red Hood's helmet is annoying, but not much more than that.

They don't pretend that, generally. Continuity is largely preserved from book to book, and across sequential arcs, but in terms of simultaneous events? You just gotta roll with it. Batman has several giant catastrophic problems on his plate constantly, the exact order they transpire in is generally not important. Stuff like Alfred's hand or Red Hood's helmet is annoying, but not much more than that.

I'm more talking about stuff like Robin War. I read it in trade and the characterization flips between books and the event order of what was obviously intended as a key scene near the end doesn't work either. And then the next issue of We Are Robin acts like the outcome was different (Robin War ends with them being promised more training in the future, the next issue of We Are Robin picks up as if they got told to cut it out and stop doing it). That kind of thing needs to be done right.

It's not unrepresentative either , the early Gothtopia crossover (one of the earlier new 52 ones) had different writers treat the premise entirely differently too.

I'm more talking about stuff like Robin War. I read it in trade and the characterization flips between books and the event order of what was obviously intended as a key scene near the end doesn't work either. And then the next issue of We Are Robin acts like the outcome was different (Robin War ends with them being promised more training in the future, the next issue of We Are Robin picks up as if they got told to cut it out and stop doing it). That kind of thing needs to be done right.

It's not unrepresentative either , the early Gothtopia crossover (one of the earlier new 52 ones) had different writers treat the premise entirely differently too.

We Are Robin was a pretty great book too, but Robin War completely screwed it over.

Slime

Banned
It was pretty great up until the super dumb ending. Glad I had that spoiled for me.

No interest whatsoever in the universe-wide metaplot. Will likely check out Wonder Woman (because Greg Rucka) and Detective Comics (because Batwoman), though.

Aside from batman which is a definite. Especially with Tom King on it what are two other books I should look at when the rebirth launches?

Rucka on wonder woman is a good thing right?

Dead

well not really...yet
Aside from batman which is a definite. Especially with Tom King on it what are two other books I should look at when the rebirth launches?

Rucka on wonder woman is a good thing right?

Rucka Wonder Woman
Tomasi/Gleason Superman
All Star Batman

will be the must reads of the lineup IMO

TheFlow

Banned
I don't read that many at once. Kinda just wanna stick to 3 or 4 tops

When the runs finish is when mass collection is more viable imo
Damn 3-4 means you are definitely going to miss out on some good series and maybe hidden gems.

I would go

Batman
Aquaman
Wondewoman
Green lanterns
Titans/flash

To get a good scope of what is happening around the DC universe

Edit:yea replace superman with the flash and all star is not till July.

LFG

Neophyte
so, there's supposed to be two books in each series released a month? like two batmans, two supermans, etc.. that's going to be a lot of comics to keep up with... i will have to pick maybe three or four to follow.

Didn't Robin War only take up a single issue? I mean not that bad all things considering.

Not to mention that the issue itself was pretty good as far as event tie-ins go.

Yeah but the characters just looked kind of shitty and annoying in the event as a whole and I couldn't really see that doing good on getting people to want to check it out. And like above it was just weird with the continuity and seemed like an odd shift. It was fine on its own I just saw it as where the book started losing it.

They're all supposed to need training then in Robin War Duke can escape handcuffs, go head to head with Dick, jump off bridges and shit.

I think I'm more just irritated at DC's crossovers recently. They've all been terrible in my eyes.

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah but the characters just looked kind of shitty and annoying in the event as a whole and I couldn't really see that doing good on getting people to want to check it out. And like above it was just weird with the continuity and seemed like an odd shift. It was fine on its own I just saw it as where the book started losing it.

They're all supposed to need training then in Robin War Duke can escape handcuffs, go head to head with Dick, jump off bridges and shit.

I think I'm more just irritated at DC's crossovers recently. They've all been terrible in my eyes.
I liked court of owls but that was like the only thing I read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom