• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross61

I don't know if I'd say they failed, since most of the reaction has been pointing more positive than negative. And I've definitely seen these books garner renewed interest in the universe. I guess we all take something different from them.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I hope it's explained, it's important. They haven't shown him to have lost any memories, but it does appear like they're just gone. And they were featured as recently Convergence.

I'd imagine when he reunites with Linda/they kiss suddenly the memories will come flooding back. They don't want to waste that powerful revelation too early. But GOD-DAMN is that going to spur Team Flash on to go kick some New York ass.

The moment in Batman #1 when Batman
asks Alfred if his parents would be proud and Alfred says that they would be, like him
was so great. I was very touched.

Well by that criteria--one I mostly agree with, even if I still like WW--most of the rebirth books fail pretty hard.

Even Batman in a way. And Superman fails because it is poorly written, ugly, pointless, and boring.

Titans Rebirth probably suffers the most though. That entire book could have been re-written into a handful of panels.

That said, I am glad that most of that transitional shit is being kept in the oneshots. The main books deserve not to get mired in it.

Consensus disagrees it seems. Rebirth has renewed the love of DC for many, myself included.

poutmeter

Consensus disagrees it seems. Rebirth has renewed the love of DC for many, myself included.

I've quit reading DC comics back when they introduced N52 and wasn't sure if I'll ever get into them again. Then Rebirth comes along and I'm pulled back in.

It's been a while since I've been excited about DC titles.

GavinUK86

Yup me too. I haven't read much DC since Flashpoint really. Off and on. But Rebirth has got me buying everything. It's really great so far.

Green Arrow is by far my favourite right now. Really intrigued to see what the "Court of Owls" type of group are up to. And what the deal is with Gotham and Gotham Girl in Batman.

MartyStu

I think y'all misunderstand my point: the oneshots are all status updates and less their own story.

The poster I was responding too said Wonder Woman was 'boring' because of its structure and lack of action, I simply asserted that it was not alone in that. Green Arrow and very few others actually tried to do full, new stories.

Obviously, Rebirth as a whole is not a failure. This thread alone is a testament to that.

I mean, any event that can get me excited for a fucking Humphreys book has to be good.

We should be hearing about JLA today, curious if it's a another team or just another big seven book.

Teen Titans was originally supposed to start in October but they moved it up. Wonder if that is to balance out JLA getting pushed back? Depending on the creative team they may need more lead time.

Effect

I'm really surprised by how much I've been enjoying these books. Also having something to read each week seems to make the waiting not much of an issue. I really do need to get a new Kindle Fire though. My old one is a bit slow and I would like for the pages to be a bit bigger but it's not a huge issue right now. If it wasn't for the digital comics and the lowered price point I wouldn't be doing this at all.

The only title that was slow for me was the Wonder Woman Rebirth but at the same time I'm really curious as to what is going to happen. However I'm not as big of a Wonder Woman fan compared to other characters. That's changed over time due to the cartoons and even BvS but comic wise I never bothered with her own titles in the few times I've messed around with comics and trades over the years. I'm waiting for the new #1 though to see how things go.

So far though there isn't anything I don't want to read as it's coming out. However this is going to become costly. Granted I'm cutting back on spending in various places just in general I wondering if I'm going to end up spending close to or around $60+ on comics each month at this rate. Some things are going to unfortunately end up on the cutting room floor even if I'm enjoying it. I'm waiting until all the #1s are out to decide what I have to cut and maybe wait until a trade is collected.

Titans would have been a must buy for me (Dick+Donna+Wally) but Brett Booth is on art... WHY. WHY. WHY.

Honestly, he's not... he's not good, but he's not that bad either. He is... there. Nobody is going to stop and marvel at the art work, but it doesn't, like, actively interfere with the story either. We're not talking about Greg Land or Rob Liefeld or abomination-tier stuff like Web 3.0.

September solicits are out today, but I imagine we'll get a press release plus interviews for when JLA is finally announced, it won't just be dumped into that months solicits.

I still have my not gonna happen team...but it'll be fun to see who the team is when it is announced. I'm trying to think if DC have one of their AAA artist who's not already on a book, although I guess quite a few would be wrapping up a story arc around that time.

I didn't have a chance to get into the panel due to a scheduling conflict with the booth I was working.

I did, however, catch up with the DC people there later and asked about Ambush Bug. I got a very good chuckle out of them.

tim1138

I still have my not gonna happen team...but it'll be fun to see who the team is when it is announced. I'm trying to think if DC have one of their AAA artist who's not already on a book, although I guess quite a few would be wrapping up a story arc around that time.

Neither Ivan Reis or Jason Fabok have announced books, but Fabok has also said he's done with big team books, so that just leaves Reis.

Yeah that was a great moment

It must be in the next Batman solo film. Imagine
the villain trying to destroy the city or a part of it in an explosion and Batman and Alfred saying these lines while Batman tries to stop the explosion.

This may sound like an hyberpole, but I think this moment is one of the greatest moments of Batman.

the villain trying to destroy the city or a part of it in an explosion and Batman and Alfred saying these lines while Batman tries to stop the explosion.

This may sound like an hyberpole, but I think this moment is one of the greatest moments of Batman.

If only it didn't feel like a complete retread of issue 52 where basically the same conversation happened but coming from Alfred.

shoreu

No, it was a really really good segment. I don't think to many moments in nu 52 come close

If only it didn't feel like a complete retread of issue 52 where basically the same conversation happened but coming from Alfred.
It seems that issue 52 influenced heavily that moment, but it's still epic for me. Maybe it was because I haven't read that issue before Batman rebirth, but still, I love that moment.
No, it was a really really good segment. I don't think to many moments in nu 52 come close

I liked very much the moment in Endgame when Batman
has a fight with the league and honors Flash with his words. Also, he honors Wonder Woman with just creating an illusion because he can't beat her.
However, I like the moment we're talking about more.

It seems that issue 52 influenced heavily that moment, but it's still epic for me. Maybe it was because I haven't read that issue before Batman rebirth, but still, I love that moment.

I liked very much the moment in Endgame when Batman
has a fight with the league and honors Flash with his words. Also, he honors Wonder Woman with just creating an illusion because he can't beat her.
However, I like the moment we're talking about more.

Not reading it I think is a big reason you enjoyed it so much. It was used as basically just a filler issue between Snyder and King's runs and it didn't come off really well there. That mixed with the idea that this was just the first issue really left me sour on the issue. The dialogue itself was ok, it just left me feeling so weird and almost like it was a failed attempt at manipulation. I really just didn't like it.

Also I'm only talking about that moment really. The issue itself was fine for the pacing and action alone. It just ended up feeling really weird when it all came to an end.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wonder Woman 1 Preview

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/wonder-woman-1-dc-comics-2016

0RGgZg3.jpg

Cho Variant:

Neither Ivan Reis or Jason Fabok have announced books, but Fabok has also said he's done with big team books, so that just leaves Reis.

Ah well my theory (with no basis other than being bored) was a quad-creative team of Johns/Hickman and Fabok/Reis. Although Johns isn't writing comics for a while and if Fabok is done with big team comics for now...ah well.

tim1138

Ah well my theory (with no basis other than being bored) was a quad-creative team of Johns/Hickman and Fabok/Reis. Although Johns isn't writing comics for a while and if Fabok is done with big team comics for now...ah well.

And Reis showed up in the solicits this month on Batman to boot.

Hmmm. The Batman 6 Solicit cover is interesting.

Gotham Girl is alone and seems to have minor scrapes and scratches. Not what you'd expect from a flying brick meta. Maybe the Gothams power is temporary and needs renewal or device / item based ?

I asked comics GAF yesterday if any of it is worth reading, and the one response I got wasn't very positive. Anyone here think Detective is worth diving into?

Of the two books Morrison's Action run is your best bet. Its far from his A-game, and the narrative is broken up by one-offs he wrote while Morales caught up on art, but still better than most comics out there.

After that, Layman and Fabok's Detective is pretty good. Layman tried to focus on the actual detective part of Batman's character but I found the storylines fairly predictable. Great art though.

I asked comics GAF yesterday if any of it is worth reading, and the one response I got wasn't very positive. Anyone here think Detective is worth diving into?

The new series has started off fantastically. Sorry I didn't catch the request, I would have very politely and enthusiastically recommended it. :D

Just realized you might have meant the books on sale.

The Tony Daniel drawn/driven issues always looked really bad, but after that, when Manapul took over, things were more interesting. There's a two parter drawn by Leon (or maybe Garry Brown?) that's super cool. Worth catching on sale at least I think. But skip anything that looks like House Style.

jph139

I've definitely been interested in Morrison's run on Action... putting aside my usual apprehension about Morrison. It's cheaper there than the trades so why not?

tim1138

I've definitely been interested in Morrison's run on Action... putting aside my usual apprehension about Morrison. It's cheaper there than the trades so why not?

If nothing else, it has one of the best Krypto stories. I forgot which issue it is specifically, but it was drawn by Travel Foreman. Issue 13 maybe?

Of the two books Morrison's Action run is your best bet. Its far from his A-game, and the narrative is broken up by one-offs he wrote while Morales caught up on art, but still better than most comics out there.

After that, Layman and Fabok's Detective is pretty good. Layman tried to focus on the actual detective part of Batman's character but I found the storylines fairly predictable. Great art though.

Appreciate the recommendations. I just finished up Morrison's entire Batman run this weekend, so I've got to decide if I can deal with another descent into madness. I suppose at this price, it doesn't hurt to toss into the backlog.

The new series has started off fantastically. Sorry I didn't catch the request, I would have very politely and enthusiastically recommended it. :D

Just realized you might have meant the books on sale.

The Tony Daniel drawn/driven issues always looked really bad, but after that, when Manapul took over, things were more interesting. There's a two parter drawn by Leon (or maybe Garry Brown?) that's super cool. Worth catching on sale at least I think. But skip anything that looks like House Style.

Yeah, I'm current on everything Rebirth. Thinking of the sales. I'll have to dive into the individual issues and see who did what.

Appreciate the recommendations. I just finished up Morrison's entire Batman run this weekend, so I've got to decide if I can deal with another descent into madness. I suppose at this price, it doesn't hurt to toss into the backlog.

Yeah, I'm current on everything Rebirth. Thinking of the sales. I'll have to dive into the individual issues and see who did what.

Didn't know there was a Layman/Fabok run in there. That's probably ace.

And don't forget the Pak/Kuder Action Comics while you're there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom