• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I asked comics GAF yesterday if any of it is worth reading, and the one response I got wasn't very positive. Anyone here think Detective is worth diving into?
The Anarky arc is pretty cool. Issues 35-40. Also the stuff after is more about Gordon Bats so if you've caught up with that stuff, it may be worth checking out.

kmfdmpig

Appreciate the recommendations. I just finished up Morrison's entire Batman run this weekend, so I've got to decide if I can deal with another descent into madness. I suppose at this price, it doesn't hurt to toss into the backlog.

Yeah, I'm current on everything Rebirth. Thinking of the sales. I'll have to dive into the individual issues and see who did what.

The early Action books by Morrison don't really feel like Morrison books. They're not as strange or ambitious as he typically is. I found them boring, and when they came out the initial reception was fairly positive and dropped quickly. I think some people assumed that because it was Morrison they would be good and gave them a chance and then eventually were disappointed.

iosefe

Never really read comic but I did read this and was wondering what the next step should be?

I was considering Titans since it seems the main arc might continue there

Afrodium

Banned
Never really read comic but I did read this and was wondering what the next step should be?

I was considering Titans since it seems the main arc might continue there

Read whatever interests you. Some books will have more to do with the events than Rebirth than others, but don't let they be the reason you pick something up. Every book right now it's a jumping on point so just pick up whatever you want. Green Arrow is the stand out book so far. I really enjoyed Batman too.

New Rebirth comics are up on Comixology.

The art in The Flash #1 ranges from okay to absolute garbage. Mainly the latter. Very disappointed with the bodies and faces on several pages. Story was alright.

shingi70

Banned
Wonder Woman is top tier, but it feels weird to have Steve and Etta essentially rebooted after playing big roles in the dcu for the past few years.

I can't agree with the flash art it was right up my alley, the writing was on point. Really liked the voice Williamson has given wally.

Jesus, that's much higher than the last big solo seller of this year(Black Panther IIRC).

Its a huge number, especially considering the low number of variants. Most books that sell over 300K have tons of variants to inflate the total. Batman #1 have two covers and then some huge stores could get a unique cover if they hit a threshold (1k copies maybe?).

Cross posting from comics GAF.

Rebirth Reviews (spoiler free)

Action Comics #958 - ★★ - It's becoming clear this book is going to favor large-scale action scenes and combat over character development and story. I'm fine with that, but the biggest con is everything ends up feeling rushed. We have no further insight into who some of that characters are or their motivations. Based on the status at the end of this issue, we can probably expect at least one more book without a single piece of explanation and that's a shame.

Detective Comics #935 - ★★★ - Training, yo! A bit of a filler issue, but I'm still in board with the overall direction here. I like the personality differences here, and think it will set things up nicely for the team dynamic for the series. A much better pace at the ending then the beginning, so next book should be great.

The Flash #1 - ★★ - Let's get this out of the way: the art is bad. Really bad. Sometimes it's even terrible. Other times, you might be able to ignore it. But it sucks, and I have no idea WTF DC is doing putting the equivalent of my uncle Steve on pencils. This is a flagship book and the art is worse than most web comics. The story was decent, but we've been down this road a million times with Flash. It's a strange world we live in when I get a more enjoyable Flash experience from the CW than comics, but that's where things sit.

shingi70

Banned
Cross posting from comics GAF.

Rebirth Reviews (spoiler free)

Action Comics #958 - ★★ - It's becoming clear this book is going to favor large-scale action scenes and combat over character development and story. I'm fine with that, but the biggest con is everything ends up feeling rushed. We have no further insight into who some of that characters are or their motivations. Based on the status at the end of this issue, we can probably expect at least one more book without a single piece of explanation and that's a shame.

Detective Comics #935 - ★★★ - Training, yo! A bit of a filler issue, but I'm still in board with the overall direction here. I like the personality differences here, and think it will set things up nicely for the team dynamic for the series. A much better pace at the ending then the beginning, so next book should be great.

The Flash #1 - ★★ - Let's get this out of the way: the art is bad. Really bad. Sometimes it's even terrible. Other times, you might be able to ignore it. But it sucks, and I have no idea WTF DC is doing putting the equivalent of my uncle Steve on pencils. This is a flagship book and the art is worse than most web comics. The story was decent, but we've been down this road a million times with Flash. It's a strange world we live in when I get a more enjoyable Flash experience from the CW than comics, but that's where things sit.

Your over exaggerating the art on the Flash. O enjoyed the fast paced scratchy style that reminds of Scott Collins or some of the 90s wally stuff.

I haven't read the actual issue yet, but I really liked the style of the Flash 1 preview. I liked the mix between the sketch style art and the graphical speed stuff. My opinion may change once I finally read it though...

Just read the new 'Tec, and loved it more than the first. Training was awesome, and Tim challenging Batwoman's authority was great. I also loved the scene between
Steph and Tim at her place; I was happy to see they're together again.
Tynion's also starting to mend things between
Bruce and Tim
, which I love, but I still wish we could've just forgotten the N52 stuff with Tim for the most part and gone back to his old backstory. This seems fine as well, but I just hate that they keep saying Tim kept Batman at arm's length. Old Tim was never like that.

Just read the new 'Tec, and loved it more than the first. Training was awesome, and Tim challenging Batwoman's authority was great. I also loved the scene between Steph and Tim at her place; I was happy to see they're together again. Tynion's also starting to mend things between Bruce and Tim, which I love, but I still wish we could've just forgotten the New52 stuff with Tim for the most part and gone back to his old backstory. This seems fine as well, but I just hate that they keep saying Tim kept Batman at arm's length. Old Tim was never like that.

They were a bit alienated from around Identity Crisis / War Games up until OYL (and even a bit then since Tim was busy hiding his clone cloning project). And Tim was always much more professional than the other Robins to some extent but he wasnt what you'd call distant exactly (he seemed to understand Batman more than even Dick in some ways and took Bruce's "death" super hard (and correctly figured Bruce wasn't dead faster than the others).

They can't really change the back story midway though since Tim's been in Teen Titans (and part of that hinges on him and Batman being distantish ) and that series continues for a few more months, so all they can do is sand the edges down a bit.

Tyrion seems to be doing the best he can with what he's got.

shoreu

Hmmm. The Batman 6 Solicit cover is interesting.

Gotham Girl is alone and seems to have minor scrapes and scratches. Not what you'd expect from a flying brick meta. Maybe the Gothams power is temporary and needs renewal or device / item based ?
They're probably eating people or some shit

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I haven't read the actual issue yet, but I really liked the style of the Flash 1 preview. I liked the mix between the sketch style art and the graphical speed stuff. My opinion may change once I finally read it though...

It shouldn't change if you liked it before cause that's how it's drawn through the whole comic.

I happen to think it fits the Flash well, but that's me.

"This is a flagship book and the art is worse than most web comics."

I can see how some readers wouldn't care for this art style. I know that's your opinion, but that's kinda extreme hyperbole.

tim1138

Really digging what Tynion is doing in Tec. This is the best I've ever seen Barrows look as well, dude has really upped his game

They were a bit alienated from around Identity Crisis / War Games up until OYL (and even a bit then since Tim was busy hiding his clone cloning project). And Tim was always much more professional than the other Robins to some extent but he wasnt what you'd call distant exactly (he seemed to understand Batman more than even Dick in some ways and took Bruce's "death" super hard (and correctly figured Bruce wasn't dead faster than the others).

They can't really change the back story midway though since Tim's been in Teen Titans (and part of that hinges on him and Batman being distantish ) and that series continues for a few more months, so all they can do is sand the edges down a bit.

Yeah, I know. I just miss the old Tim, but Tynion is definitely doing great with what he's got and this is the best Tim's been written in a good while. Characterization has been top notch in this title so far for everyone, and I love it. This is definitely my favorite Rebirth title.

aly

Agreed. At least they are trying to fix Tim though. I do kinda hate
how quickly him and Steph got together though
. I'm surprised by how much more I like Tec over Batman though.

Red Flash #1 and the art was a great fit for kinetic scenes like the house fire but was too loose when the focus was on characters. Really top artists are willing to vary their styles to fit the scene but its pretty clear that Di Giandomenico was focused, ironically, on going fast enough to meet the publishing schedule.

Ross61

Random since I know Teen Titans is not out yet. But I kind of like that they changed Beast Boy to be connected to the Red. I really hope DC keeps the concepts of the Red, the Green, the Rot, the Metal, and etc. from Animal Man/Swamp Thing.

Your over exaggerating the art on the Flash. O enjoyed the fast paced scratchy style that reminds of Scott Collins or some of the 90s wally stuff.

I'm over exaggerating my opinion? Okay. I posted a few examples in the main comic thread. Art is terrible, with nonexistent details on basically everything. Facial proportions area a mess, too.

I consider this bad. I'm perfectly fine with you and others liking it.

445z2sf.jpg

CDlfHlE.jpg

I read Flash #1 last night in a floppy and didn't really have an issue with the art. However, seeing each panel blown up so large does make it look worse.

I think it looks pretty bad blown up like that, but normally-sized, it looks okay.

I read Flash #1 last night in a floppy and didn't really have an issue with the art. However, seeing each panel blown up so large does make it look worse.

That's how I read it on my phone, so perhaps that causes some of my problems with the art.

More Rebirth!

Aquaman #1 - ★★★★ - Pretty much the opposite of the Rebirth issue in every conceivable way, I actually found Aquaman interesting here. Great build up here that works up to the last three pages being phenomenal. The art is wonderful, colorful, and fits so well with the writing. Really liked this book.

Wonder Woman #1 - ★★★★ - Still the least friendly Rebirth book for new readers (I don't know who any of the supporting cast is), but I'll be damned if this wasn't a fun comic. Incredible art, Wonder Woman being a bad ass, and some other interactions between random people I don't know! I've never seen the protagonist look so damn good. Like all Rebirth books so far except Action, the pace is glacial, but I'm growing to expect these will all be slow burns.

So far im getting the feeling Wonder Woman needs to be read in trade format instead of monthly. It just seems like it hasnt gone anywhere yet after two issues and im getting impatient lol. Plus I dont give one shit about the companion story, and that felt like the majority of the book since there wasnt much dialogue or narration in the WW scenes.

Im staying on every mainline title for the first arc at least, but im actually thinking this is gonna be on my drop list, despite the creative team, not for lack of quality but just because I think Ill enjoy them better in trades, and honestly I dont have much antisipation built up for this run yet, which I already do for Batman, Green Arrow, Aquaman and Superman. (And even Green Lanterns as a guilty pleasure cause despite the writing being meh I really like Jessica as a character, though thats still likely on my drop list come the end of the first arc).

That's how I read it on my phone, so perhaps that causes some of my problems with the art.

More Rebirth!

Aquaman #1 - ★★★★ - Pretty much the opposite of the Rebirth issue in every conceivable way, I actually found Aquaman interesting here. Great build up here that works up to the last three pages being phenomenal. The art is wonderful, colorful, and fits so well with the writing. Really liked this book.

Wonder Woman #1 - ★★★★ - Still the least friendly Rebirth book for new readers (I don't know who any of the supporting cast is), but I'll be damned if this wasn't a fun comic. Incredible art, Wonder Woman being a bad ass, and some other interactions between random people I don't know! I've never seen the protagonist look so damn good. Like all Rebirth books so far except Action, the pace is glacial, but I'm growing to expect these will all be slow burns.

Comic book pace isn't usually exceptional these days. Arcs are usually between 3 and 12 issues (usually 5 or 6) and the first Rebirth arcs are of course going to be slower since as jumping on points they have to define the characters for new readers. The Rebirth one shots generally had the opposite problem: trying to do too much (tell a story and introduce the current character status quo) in too few pages.

I expect things will pick up pace around Issue 7 once the first arcs are done for most of the books.

The biweekly schedule really helps the pace too from what I've seen so far, Tec is objectively really slow , we've barely introduced the cast and the enemy which would be awful for 2 issues at 1 issue a month but at 2 a month things seem to keep moving (especially if the alternating of Batman and Tec keeps up).

Wonder Woman was great, but I'm assmad about the fact they already dropped her cape. WHY.

Man, you have no idea how a cape would get in her way. In the jungle like that? It would get snagged on every bush she walked by.

Absolutely love the
Cheetah
redesign.

tim1138

I'd rank this week's books as so:

Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
Flash

I was not disappointed by any of them by any means, I'm enjoying what each is doing.

Tynion and Barrows are firing on all cylinders in Tec, I can't say enough how good that book is. I'm thrilled that Batman is in the background and not taking the spotlight from Kate or the rest of the team. Everyone is getting their time to shine. My only complaint is
my boy Jean Paul Valley getting done dirty

Rucka directly addressing the mess that is Diana's backstory is a great plot device, but I do have a feeling this is going to be a fairy slow burn. I wonder how much of his rejected Earth One pitch is being incorporated into this run, as I'm sure DC had to give him carte blanche to get him to come back. I ready dug the last page reveal and Sharp's art was great.

I'm so happy to have a good Flash book again. Williamson has an interesting voice for Barry, and I like the introduction of
Barry's powers giving him some self doubt since no matter how far he is, he still can't save everyone
, it's a nice bit of complexity for him. I absolutely love the art, it's so kinetic and reminds me of a weird mix of the best parts of Scott Kolins and Travel Foreman (both of whom are favorites of mine).

I'm not gonna lie, I'm surprised by how DC has just knocked this all out of the park. I was expecting the line to range from great to ok, but for the first month at least, the whole Rebirth line has been consistently great. From what I've seen on Twitter and heard in interviews, the sales numbers have been great, and deservedly so. Here's hoping they can keep it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom