• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2 |OT|: He knows his way around a zombie or two.

spons

Gold Member
K' Dash said:
So, is there any point in
playin poker with the survivors, I play get my ass kicked, but the mission stays there, what I'm I supposed to do?, damn I hate poker :mad:

Halp!
Just win a game and the mission is cleared.

MicVlaD said:
Some 'fun' moments I edited together in a clip if anyone's interested or still waiting for his own copy. Doesn't contain any story details, but does include some of the combo weapons if you consider those spoilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h_rPHNga2Q *

Also includes LASHAWNDRA OUTTA NOWHERE
Damn late European delay and loooong shipping time. :( But I'll get the game later in October I hope :) Can't wait

Huggy

Zeitgeister said:
it would probably be easiest to just restart your storyprogress. Or fail it alltogether and do something else.
alternatively, you could load an earlier save, stock up on good weapons and food and go from there.

I beat this part of the game. Got beefed up weapons and buttonmashed my way through it, no strategy whatsoever. Worked, just one orange juice needed.

It was easier than the rest of psychopaths, but I really start to hate these guys.
I beat one, try the next mission, another one, can't beat him try another mission, another psycho, only harder this time......

I never played a game with this much diversity in quality throughout the game. Not to mention the single digit fps once in a while.

2aancif.png

No horse head sadly and Blanka mask doesn't cut it, but this'll do.

Present hat! So they're making a sequel to a quite peculiar Japanese game, and they're handing the duties to an obscure Canadian developer, whose past work consists entirely of a handful of tedious baseball games. No way Dead Rising2 could ever be good. Eat hat! But it is. It really is.

So yeah, Blue Castle games have pretty much nailed it. The tone, the ridiculous setting and stuff you can get up to, the pacing - it's like meeting up with an old friend, and by God have they been up to stuff since you last met. Chuck's a great protagonist, and the basic setup - he has to keep his daughter stocked up with a lifesaving drug that's now scarce as the town decends into zombie hell - is just a brilliant extension of the original's plate juggling resource management.

The game has so far managed to be even more bizarre and amusing than the original, the new psychopaths are frequently hilariously deranged, and the new weapons and contrapctions you can build are brilliantly inventive and daft (a light machinegun toting giant teddybear as auto-sentry?). I like it, lots!

It's hard to say if it is better than Dead Rising 1; it's certainly very very close. The thing is they have slightly different philosophies behind them, and they end up surprisingly different. DR2 simply has so much content. As a consequence DR1 feels the tighter of the two; there seems more love lavished on the smaller areas, there are distinct pathways through the zombies in certain areas you learn to instinctively navigate through, whereas DR2's sprawling areas are much more scattershot and intended to just be brute forced through. Frankly a lot of shops etc are just filler, but this isn't a problem as the game's built around a bigger picture than the constant micro managing of survivors in DR1 (and thank god, DR2 is a lot more lenient with regards to escoring).

The weapon combo system also means the basic weapons are a lot weaker in DR2, and as a result a lot of them are near useless. DR1 had its fair share of worthless crap, but you could always rely on workhorses like baseball bats and billy clubs in a pinch. In DR2 you really need to have a crafted weapon at all times, and if they break you can find yourself in a world of hurt. This only gets worse as things develop towards the end of the game. Not really a bad thing per se, just different.

One thing that I genuinely don't like so much is it seems to take ages to get around the much larger map. Skateboards seem much more scarce and even more fragile as to the point of being useless (especially without paths through the hordes) and mixers are frustratingly far away from the start area (the closest one only has beers readily available near it) making quickstep drinks less useful unless you plan far in advance. The wheelchairs and barrow things are nice ways around this and good for bumping up your kill count, but it can be rage inducing when you get caught by zombies and the bloody things get flipped all over the place and you have to struggle to right them again (oh the times when my nailbat has obliterated an important time-saving wheelchair). Also, this time round the
vehicles in the maintenance tunnels
are annoyingly slow. In DR1 you could pretty much overcome anything with good map knowledge and item use, but DR2 I found a lot more instances where my inventiveness just came up empty making cases unwinnable (nevermind, just have to plan better and get them next playthrough).

This sounds overly negative, but this is a great game. There are just so many fantastic ideas absolutely bursting out of it, from the weapons to the psychos to the mission ideas
(put on an elaborate pop concert for a psychotic Cher parody!)
, and it has consistently astounded me at how imaginative it is. It's clear Blue Castle must have been genuine fans of the original, in fact to be honest in many ways they "get" and run with the concept better than the original designers. I haven't finished the game yet (close now though) but I think this is going to remain a personal favourite in rotation for a long time. I've saved a good 95% of the survivors so far, but things have gone of out of control towards the end (also I wasted an age playing poker, urgh), and I've got a million ideas for a new run to try out.

What is genuinely negative however, is the performance of the game. As has already been said it's all over the place. I've gotten used to it now and it's never really game breaking, but it is almost certainly the worst performing console game I've seen this decade (playing it on Xbox). There are little frame rate drops all over the place, but the main park area is often horribly slow - and then they expect you to ride a bike round there!

Worst of all are the cut scenes. A lot of theses are just plain mystifying in how badly they perform. These aren't occasions where the player gets a million zombies on screen etc that can't be planned for - these are scenes deliberately chosen by the developers, and they look terrible. The worst is the cut scene for defeating the first boss. It genuinely drops to around 5fps or less(!) for extended periods. During this it is basically showing a man and a wall with a special effect going on. Why on earth they kept this as-is boggles the mind, it looks downright embarrassing and needn't have been this way at all. It's left the game a somewhat bittersweet experience as the original Dead Rising looked fantastic and performed very well to boot, indeed it was something of a technical marvel at the time. in comparison DR2 is a near fiasco on that front. At this rate I might get the PC version too, even if I'm loathe to mess about to play it on TV that way.

Huggy said:
Oh my gosh psychopaths

You have a number of options to beat any of the psychopaths but the general foolproof guide is:

Make some pain killer (bacon + beer found in the food plaza) bring some orange juice and a food manual, finally bring yourself a defiler (sledge hammer + fire axe). Drink your cocktail, heal with your juice when needed and spam your weapons lariat heavy attack.

You'll want to focus on one of them and attack them in recovery (every boss has very obvious recovery tell on at least one of their attacks) as long as you're leveled up enough at that point you should be fine even on your first play-through.

AshMcCool

The game is problem and solution in one. It's cause to incredible anger ("What? The survivor just shot me to dead right before I could enter the restroom?" , but it also delivers you with the perfect outlet for all that rage.("Must.Kill.1000. Zombies")

Daigoro

i actually pre-ordered this game. i very very rarely do that.

i want it now! Tuesday morning cant come soon enough.

im trying really hard to not click on or read this thread anymore. its hard though.

Aselith

Strummerjones communicating via text wall said:
Present hat! So they're making a sequel to a quite peculiar Japanese game, and they're handing the duties to an obscure Canadian developer, whose past work consists entirely of a handful of tedious baseball games. No way Dead Rising2 could ever be good. Eat hat! But it is. It really is.

So yeah, Blue Castle games have pretty much nailed it. The tone, the ridiculous setting and stuff you can get up to, the pacing - it's like meeting up with an old friend, and by God have they been up to stuff since you last met. Chuck's a great protagonist, and the basic setup - he has to keep his daughter stocked up with a lifesaving drug that's now scarce as the town decends into zombie hell - is just a brilliant extension of the original's plate juggling resource management.

The game has so far managed to be even more bizarre and amusing than the original, the new psychopaths are frequently hilariously deranged, and the new weapons and contrapctions you can build are brilliantly inventive and daft (a light machinegun toting giant teddybear as auto-sentry?). I like it, lots!

It's hard to say if it is better than Dead Rising 1; it's certainly very very close. The thing is they have slightly different philosophies behind them, and they end up surprisingly different. DR2 simply has so much content. As a consequence DR1 feels the tighter of the two; there seems more love lavished on the smaller areas, there are distinct pathways through the zombies in certain areas you learn to instinctively navigate through, whereas DR2's sprawling areas are much more scattershot and intended to just be brute forced through. Frankly a lot of shops etc are just filler, but this isn't a problem as the game's built around a bigger picture than the constant micro managing of survivors in DR1 (and thank god, DR2 is a lot more lenient with regards to escoring).

The weapon combo system also means the basic weapons are a lot weaker in DR2, and as a result a lot of them are near useless. DR1 had its fair share of worthless crap, but you could always rely on workhorses like baseball bats and billy clubs in a pinch. In DR2 you really need to have a crafted weapon at all times, and if they break you can find yourself in a world of hurt. This only gets worse as things develop towards the end of the game. Not really a bad thing per se, just different.

One thing that I genuinely don't like so much is it seems to take ages to get around the much larger map. Skateboards seem much more scarce and even more fragile as to the point of being useless (especially without paths through the hordes) and mixers are frustratingly far away from the start area (the closest one only has beers readily available near it) making quickstep drinks less useful unless you plan far in advance. The wheelchairs and barrow things are nice ways around this and good for bumping up your kill count, but it can be rage inducing when you get caught by zombies and the bloody things get flipped all over the place and you have to struggle to right them again (oh the times when my nailbat has obliterated an important time-saving wheelchair). Also, this time round the
are annoyingly slow. In DR1 you could pretty much overcome anything with good map knowledge and item use, but DR2 I found a lot more instances where my inventiveness just came up empty making cases unwinnable (nevermind, just have to plan better and get them next playthrough).

This sounds overly negative, but this is a great game. There are just so many fantastic ideas absolutely bursting out of it, from the weapons to the psychos to the mission ideas
, and it has consistently astounded me at how imaginative it is. It's clear Blue Castle must have been genuine fans of the original, in fact to be honest in many ways they "get" and run with the concept better than the original designers. I haven't finished the game yet (close now though) but I think this is going to remain a personal favourite in rotation for a long time. I've saved a good 95% of the survivors so far, but things have gone of out of control towards the end (also I wasted an age playing poker, urgh), and I've got a million ideas for a new run to try out.

What is genuinely negative however, is the performance of the game. As has already been said it's all over the place. I've gotten used to it now and it's never really game breaking, but it is almost certainly the worst performing console game I've seen this decade (playing it on Xbox). There are little frame rate drops all over the place, but the main park area is often horribly slow - and then they expect you to ride a bike round there!

Worst of all are the cut scenes. A lot of theses are just plain mystifying in how badly they perform. These aren't occasions where the player gets a million zombies on screen etc that can't be planned for - these are scenes deliberately chosen by the developers, and they look terrible. The worst is the cut scene for defeating the first boss. It genuinely drops to around 5fps or less(!) for extended periods. During this it is basically showing a man and a wall with a special effect going on. Why on earth they kept this as-is boggles the mind, it looks downright embarrassing and needn't have been this way at all. It's left the game a somewhat bittersweet experience as the original Dead Rising looked fantastic and performed very well to boot, indeed it was something of a technical marvel at the time. in comparison DR2 is a near fiasco on that front. At this rate I might get the PC version too, even if I'm loathe to mess about to play it on TV that way.

You know this is a forum and not a videogame website for which you are paid to write, right? Or did you copy this from somewhere without mentioning it? What's going on?

Gigglepoo

Huggy said:
This fight makes the game look like less than a B game. For instance, all the scattered health items are wine or beer. Chuck is constantly puking.

I thought that was very clever. The very item you need to stay alive does you harm as well. One of my favorite boss fights.

Wiggum2007

Aselith said:
You know this is a forum and not a videogame website for which you are paid to write, right? Or did you copy this from somewhere without mentioning it? What's going on?

How dare he write up a thoughtful, detailed post about his impressions! That bastard!

Aselith

Oh, I did have a question for those with the PC version. Does it have a benchmarking option? I sort of like being able to setup my display options for the worst case scenario which benchmarks are usually good at simulating.

Wiggum2007 said:
How dare he write up a thoughtful, detailed post about his impressions! That bastard!

I don't think it's that as much as the part where he includes an introductory paragraph and closing and such. You need to pay attention to the format when you write. Forums are where you deliver succinct impressions, they're not for bloating out your impressions like you're writing for a teacher with strict word counts. He could've said what he wanted to say in far fewer words. It would have been better because if everyone writes that way either people won't read them or reading through a single page of posts would take all night.

Not trying to be a dick but that's a lot of unnecessary reading when this thread has many, many pages. At least include some sort of tl;dr summary.

Just by way of example he includes some color bits explaining about the game story. About how Chuck has to keep his daughter stocked with Zombrex. That would be awesome to help people understand the game in a review but this is a thread about the game. People know.

K' Dash

Aselith said:

The fuck dude?, those are some nice impressions,what's wrong with that? I'm playing the game right now (finishing the 3rd day) and everythng he wrote it's true.

Chill out.

eso76

Aselith said:

It's hard being a junior these days. Come on, it's not like he put ads and banners in his post, he probably wanted to write a 'real' review (or maybe that's what he did, without mentioning for which website) and it was a well written one.
Btw you thought the wall of text was too much and you quoted the entire post ? :)

Aselith said:
but that's a lot of unnecessary reading when this thread has many, many pages.
Do you have a compulsive reading disorder that we should be aware of, or have you not unlocked the "I think I'll just skip this post" skill yet?

fisheyes

Hey guys, I have some sufficiently succinct impressions for you: this game is awesome.

Perhaps my only niggling issue is that the psychopath battles come out of nowhere. I understand thats the point, but when you've gone all that time without saving (yeah, I know, thats my fault) and go into a restaurant area to get some health only to be attacked by a certain psychopath... well, it hurts. Also to me the toilets do seems a little hard to find, would have liked some big old coloured doors on em like the maintenance rooms do. Other than this incredibly minor issues, I am seriously in love with this bad boy, and I haven't even done anything properly yet (just exploring / racking up some levels / find some neat items so far).

eso76

black_vegeta said:
Is there a way for Blue Castle to apply a patch to fix the framerate?

Maybe in DR2 case it's actually possible by removing the depth of field effect.
I thought it was there to hide lod in the distance but apparently on PC, where you can turn it off, it has a significant impact on performances, so maybe they could just turn it off via patch to help framerate.

Speaking of psycopaths, i also run into them accidentally all the time but i suspect reading mission descriptions would help you understand if the ? on the map is just a survivor or someone you'll have to fight. I always forget to do that myself, but at least you can run away from most of them quite easily.

WEGGLES

Pre-loading on Steam now.

After reading that post that's so long it doesn't belong on a game forum ( :lol) I'm glad I got it for PC, what with performance issues on Xbox.

Can't wait.

Sucks I have to work tuesday, and Civ V is robbing all my time.

Nemesis_

I don't think the framerate is that much of a problem. On the other hand, the retarded delays between pressing a button to load a game, or "pressing start" on the title screen and something actually happening is unbearable. What's the reason?

I'm replaying and finding gifts for Katey. I'm finding stuff but for some reason I can't give them to her. The little yellow icon is hovering over Katey but when I walk up "Give Item" doesn't appear or whatever. Sometimes it does quickly but then it doesn't =/

Chinner

Banned
Strummerjones said:

good post

JMizzlin

Sweet, just got shot in the face by a shotgun-totin' survivor, inducing a game over. I wasn't having any fun, anyway.

*returns game*

eso76

Eye Drop said:
Sweet, just got shot in the face by a shotgun-totin' survivor, inducing a game over. I wasn't having any fun, anyway.

*returns game*

don't forget to return your gamer card as well :p

Naeblish

Probably asked a million times already, but seeing Strummerjones post i should go for the pc version instead of xbox right?

stupei

Place near me put it out early yesterday and I'm loving it so far. I'm not too far into the story missions, mostly just screwing around. The framerate hasn't really bothered me, though I haven't had a lot of fire on screen yet. Random encounters with psychos while on an escort mission can be a pain, but not so bad that it's off-putting.

I was hoping it not being Tuesday yet would mean any coop with strangers would be mostly genial for at least a bit longer, but as I was just about to turn my system off, I get a request to join my game. Turn the guy down obviously so that I don't immediately boot him, and about five seconds later he sends me a response cussing me out. Always bizarre to me when people take the time to get upset with you on Live when you haven't even done anything to them yet. :lol

Aselith said:

Yeah sorry, I did ramble a bit, but there's a lot to say about this game and as lots of people are waiting for their copy I thought I'd mention a few things fans of the first game would like to know.

Two little things people might not know: If you leave it on the title screen (New game, etc menu) for a while there is a little intro video, as with the first Dead Rising. Also, you can jump on cardboard boxes to break them open and get their contents, a lot faster than picking them up and throwing them or shooting, etc. Especially on piles of 3+ boxes.

clockpunk

I honestly don't get why people are saying the console versions suffer from framerate issues - almost finished first playthrough on 360, and I only encountered a minor (5 seconds TOPS) touch of slowness, but it actual enhanced and made the scene it happened in seem even cooler!
:lol

Otherwise, I think the guys complainng may just be having bad luck with their versions. Just to throw that out there.

YoungHav

Banned
Costume question. Can you store costumes in your locker or do you have to get the clothes at the malls each time to switch between costumes?

NIN90

face_777 said:
I honestly don't get why people are saying the console versions suffer from framerate issues - almost finished first playthrough on 360, and I only encountered a minor (5 seconds TOPS) touch of slowness, but it actual enhanced and made the scene it happened in seem even cooler!
:lol

Otherwise, I think the guys complainng may just be having bad luck with their versions. Just to throw that out there.

I'm a big fan of DR1 and DR2 but this is just bullshit. There's constant framedrops.

But it's still awesome.

Zenith

Banned
Himuro said:
People, DR1 had "cheap" bosses too. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. You can't kill a lot of the bosses at low levels, but at high levels it's entirely possible.

:lol :lol :lol

"They're meant to be poorly designed."

Nemesis_

I don't think they're that cheap, they are pretty manageable when you have a decent combo weapon AND when you know their patterns.

Axiom

I never played the original Dead Rising so while I'm finding the psycho's amusing in cut scenes but I've had no fun fighting them.

Granted I'm restarting the game every single time I die so that can't help too much.

Huggy

eso76 said:
Speaking of psycopaths, i also run into them accidentally all the time but i suspect reading mission descriptions would help you understand if the ? on the map is just a survivor or someone you'll have to fight. I always forget to do that myself, but at least you can run away from most of them quite easily.

Well, not always. I got chased relentlessly a few times and got killed.
It induces rage when it happens, but you'll learn from it. It's easy to accept if you keep in mind that you'll never lose any progress even if you restart, as you'll need to be high level to get the best ending anyway.

I hope the remaining storyline psychopaths are just as easy as the first.

Top Bottom