• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2 |OT|: He knows his way around a zombie or two.

NIN90 said:
I'm a big fan of DR1 and DR2 but this is just bullshit. There's constant framedrops.

But it's still awesome.

Having just played through Dead Rising again, I noticed a lot of framedrops. I didn't remember nearly as much the first time. And it was at weird times, with few zombies on the screen. That transitional spot going from North Plaza to Wonderland had to be in the single digit FPS for a good 5 seconds.

eek5

Nemesis556 said:
I don't think they're that cheap, they are pretty manageable when you have a decent combo weapon AND when you know their patterns.
The only thing that bothers me is sometimes it isn't completely obvious that you're headed into a psychopath battle. From the mission descriptions, some of them just sound like rescuing survivors. I haven't had a huge problem with them so far as long as I can save before I enter the battle. I usually get wiped the first time and have had some really close ones where I walk away with one blinking health box :lol

eso76

Huggy said:
Well, not always. I got chased relentlessly a few times and got killed.

well, isn't it great ? :)
i hope the sequels are even more open, with no separation between areas and a more persistent and even more interactive environment where you can build barricades or lock rooms, with psychos chasing you everywhere and a large macro AI for zombies, which applies to the entire zombie population at the same time.
I'd like a real zombie outbreak simulator.

RustyO

eso76 said:
well, isn't it great ? :)
i hope the sequels are even more open, with no separation between areas and a more persistent and even more interactive environment where you can build barricades or lock rooms, with psychos chasing you everywhere and a large macro AI for zombies, which applies to the entire zombie population at the same time.
I'd like a real zombie outbreak simulator.

RustyO said:
Dead Rising RPG

Online mutliplayer

Open world

RPG / leveling / skill systems / characters creation (Soldier / Cop / Doctor / Mechanic etc etc)

Lose a little bit of the "quirkyness/humour/fun" and model a bit more on Night/Day/Dawn/Dawn Remake of the Dead, i.e. more dread, claustrophobic, more horror, more survival (DR is fun, but never brown underpants time, or even "oh crap, I'm screwed now")

Edit: Mainly the 2002 Dawn of the Dead remake.

Which leads me to: One life, your dead. Option to either restart/new character, or "Now that you're dead, what are you gonna do with your life?"

Safehouses / missions / factions / mutiplayer groups/guilds

Weapon combos

Vehicles (Build / customise ala 2002 Dawn of the Dead Remake)

Limited/finite supplies (instead of infinite items in a store, actually having to scavange to build / survive, increase feeling of claustrophobia / dread)

= my perfect game

Hey, they've got the engine. Add some RPG elements, multiplayer and an open world.

Something like that?

clockpunk

NIN90 said:
I'm a big fan of DR1 and DR2 but this is just bullshit. There's constant framedrops.

But it's still awesome.

Not at all - I have only experienced one sample of slowdown thus far, and I am up to the final set of Cases. :p

But I agree - it *is* awesome. So glad I went for the 360 version.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
VistraNorrez said:
Having just played through Dead Rising again, I noticed a lot of framedrops. I didn't remember nearly as much the first time. And it was at weird times, with few zombies on the screen. That transitional spot going from North Plaza to Wonderland had to be in the single digit FPS for a good 5 seconds.

I just replayed DR1 in prep for DR2 and there's a bizarre slowdown at the entrance to North Plaza from the inner courtyard (both when you enter from the inner courtyard and then also when you approach that entrance from inside North Plaza). It's like the game has suddenly gone into instant replay slow mo. As long as DR2 doesn't have anything that bad, I'll be happy with it. I do hope the loading times have improved substantially from Case Zero though. I don't think I've ever seen loading times that long on a game without a disk on the 360.

Amazon says it's shipping soon and this portion of your order is being prepared for shipment and cannot be canceled or changed. It better arrive tomorrow.

RustyO said:
Something like that?

Doesn't sound much like Dead Rising. It needs the humor. Sounds more like a Left 4 Dead RPG than anything.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
those of you that restart, do you tend to start completely over, or do you find a good solid save game and fall back to that?

Wondering whats the best way to approach this?

eso76

RustyO said:
Something like that?

Something like that, and i would go even further with that.

Put players in the same game BUT without them knowing each other, without them knowing their gamertags, without them being able to communicate (except for proximity chat) until they find each other in the game.
Of course they will not know each other's position, but they can pick up radios from the stores and try sending random messages hoping the other players also found a radio and are listening, or leave messages (with spray paint !) on walls saying you were there or the channel to use for radio communications or whatever can help the others find you.
Or yell in your microphone hoping someone is close enough to hear you.
Once someone joined you, you're told his/her gamertag and are allowed to communicate outside of the game.

The idea is a lot more complex than this, but you get the point. Very ambitious but it could be done.

Terror Is Reality is amazing.

Devs, take note...this is how you do MP. 4 rounds of randomised games, all extremely fun and virtually lag free. :D

Headache. :lol :D

I know it's probably been already asked but can someone explain to me what "Microsoft SSA and ZDPP" are, I want to pre-order this game on steam but I have not come across this DRM before. Does it include limited activations or require a constant online connection?

luxarific said:
I just replayed DR1 in prep for DR2 and there's a bizarre slowdown at the entrance to North Plaza from the inner courtyard (both when you enter from the inner courtyard and then also when you approach that entrance from inside North Plaza). It's like the game has suddenly gone into instant replay slow mo. As long as DR2 doesn't have anything that bad, I'll be happy with it. I do hope the loading times have improved substantially from Case Zero though. I don't think I've ever seen loading times that long on a game without a disk on the 360.
apparently they haven't.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
plagiarize said:
apparently they haven't.

Do you have DR2 and have you played Case Zero? Or can point me to any post in this thread where that situation applies? I've been trying to keep up on this thread, but it's moving pretty fast.

Strummerjones said:
The weapon combo system also means the basic weapons are a lot weaker in DR2, and as a result a lot of them are near useless. DR1 had its fair share of worthless crap, but you could always rely on workhorses like baseball bats and billy clubs in a pinch. In DR2 you really need to have a crafted weapon at all times, and if they break you can find yourself in a world of hurt. This only gets worse as things develop towards the end of the game. Not really a bad thing per se, just different.
I find that this is not necessarily the case. There's still a fair number of non-upgraded weapons that can get the job done even at the later stages of the game if you didn't get the opportunity to spend some time on customizing your tools beforehand, so it's not as if players have to rely on combo weapons most of the time. Plus it never hurts to carry an extra (vanilla) baseball bat for instance in case you run into an unarmed survivor with no decent items around, or if you aren't carrying any proper guns in your inventory at the time.

Smaller weapons like a stand-alone Bowie knife on the other hand do become largely useless beyond the early phase of the campaign though, but I didn't encounter those very often.

Strummerjones said:
What is genuinely negative however, is the performance of the game. As has already been said it's all over the place. I've gotten used to it now and it's never really game breaking, but it is almost certainly the worst performing console game I've seen this decade (playing it on Xbox). There are little frame rate drops all over the place, but the main park area is often horribly slow - and then they expect you to ride a bike round there!

Worst of all are the cut scenes. A lot of theses are just plain mystifying in how badly they perform. These aren't occasions where the player gets a million zombies on screen etc that can't be planned for - these are scenes deliberately chosen by the developers, and they look terrible. The worst is the cut scene for defeating the first boss. It genuinely drops to around 5fps or less(!) for extended periods. During this it is basically showing a man and a wall with a special effect going on. Why on earth they kept this as-is boggles the mind, it looks downright embarrassing and needn't have been this way at all. It's left the game a somewhat bittersweet experience as the original Dead Rising looked fantastic and performed very well to boot, indeed it was something of a technical marvel at the time. in comparison DR2 is a near fiasco on that front. At this rate I might get the PC version too, even if I'm loathe to mess about to play it on TV that way.
Not to defend its technical shortcomings, but I could list multiple games that ran even worse. Saint's Row (any Volition game really), Command & Conquer 3, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, The Orange Box games, Borderlands et cetera. Quite a difference next to the (mostly) stable performance of the first game, but Dead Rising 2 certainly doesn't take the cake in this regard.

The majority of the cutscenes don't suffer from severe framerate drops either, unless they happen to include fire or an explosion for some reason. With the exception of one particular cutscene where Fortune City looks hilariously empty and they only rendered two - three zombies at a time. With those, I agree that it's puzzling why some run as badly as they do.

fisheyes said:
Also to me the toilets do seems a little hard to find, would have liked some big old coloured doors on em like the maintenance rooms do. Other than this incredibly minor issues, I am seriously in love with this bad boy, and I haven't even done anything properly yet (just exploring / racking up some levels / find some neat items so far).
Restrooms have green signs you can spot from a distance. They're also indicated on your map (along with maintenance rooms and such).

face_777 said:
I honestly don't get why people are saying the console versions suffer from framerate issues - almost finished first playthrough on 360, and I only encountered a minor (5 seconds TOPS) touch of slowness, but it actual enhanced and made the scene it happened in seem even cooler!
:lol

Otherwise, I think the guys complainng may just be having bad luck with their versions. Just to throw that out there.
No.

VistraNorrez said:
Don't recall something like that in DR1 myself, other than the final area's of Overtime. Not a lot of screen-tearing either other than a specific area or two, but tearing did become much more frequent when playing the game through VGA.

luxarific said:
Do you have DR2 and have you played Case Zero? Or can point me to any post in this thread where that situation applies? I've been trying to keep up on this thread, but it's moving pretty fast.
Load times are still pretty long in the retail game. On consoles I mean. Significantly shorter on the PC version apparently.

TheFreshPrince

I never played DR1 but really enjoyed Case Zero, and am wondering how I should attack DR2.
With Case Zero i played through the story and then went back for Achievements and exploration. Is this the best way to play through DR2? Go through a full story play through and then back for the other stuff?

I'm not sure I have the time for 3-4 full playthroughs like guides are recommending, so just want suggestions on the best way to get the most out of the game!

Icarus

Liquid Helium said:
I know it's probably been already asked but can someone explain to me what "Microsoft SSA and ZDPP" are, I want to pre-order this game on steam but I have not come across this DRM before. Does it include limited activations or require a constant online connection?

SSA is an online authentication but depending upon how they've implemented it, there's likely still an "offline mode". It also means you must be authenticated for that specific session to play online co-op, earn achievements or get leaderboard placement. I'm not sure how DR2 does it but some games with SSA won't let you save unless you're authenticated. On the plus side, it keeps pirates and haxxors out of your online games and off the leaderboards.

ZDPP is sort of irrelevant. It means Zero Day Piracy Protection. In short, until MS turns on the server, you can't authenticate at all (thus, you can't authorize the game to run until the launch date happens). It's a non-factor once that day has passed.

Can you get normal campaign achievements in Co-Op? Like if you drop in as someone's Co-Op partner, can you earn achievements outside of the Co-Op ones? Just trying to figure out if I want to play through alone or with a friend first.

I have a couple of questions, if anybody knows the answers:

1) Do skills like the elbow drop count towards melee kills? I'm trying to get the "kill 1000 zombies with melee attacks" achievement.

2) How does co-op work? Do both players have to go through a door to the next area together, or can you run around completely independent of each other?

Darklord

Banned
Was it even explained why steam has a weeks lock on the PC version? Why the hell can't I play this now(or last week for that matter)? This thread is killing me.

Vinterbird said:
Fuck the last boss is hard. Anyone found a useful strategy yet?

One you get the pattern down, he's pretty easy (albeit a little drawn-out). To start with, punch him five or six times, then do a roll dodge away, as he'll do a jumping attack. Run in after he's jumped, and repeat. If your punches make him flinch, then repeat. If not, then either use the winch, or break open the boxes, or heal. If you use the winch, you can run away just as you see him coming, and you'll be able to dodge his jump attack, but it's better to play it safe, and leave the winch before he comes back. You shouldn't have to use the winch too often if you're good at button mashing.

Inside the boxes are stage lights and some cartons of orange juice. There's also a snack near the boxes.

If you grab the stage light, then instead of punching him five times, hit him with it twice.

Personally, I didn't bother running around the walkways. I saw some items around the corner; I don't know what they are, but maybe they make the fight easier. But I didn't think it was worth it, as if you go onto the walkways, he just activates the sparklers, and you're further away from the winch.

Oh, and if he does a charge attack, do a roll dodge to the side. If he does catch you with it though, then if you counter with the right button presses, take advantage of him being stunned by getting five punches/two hits with a stage light in.

I found the final boss in DR1 a lot harder, to be honest.

Ben2749 said:
One you get the pattern down, he's pretty easy (albeit a little drawn-out). To start with, punch him five or six times, then do a roll dodge away, as he'll do a jumping attack. Run in after he's jumped, and repeat. If your punches make him flinch, then repeat. If not, then either use the winch, or break open the boxes, or heal. If you use the winch, you can run away just as you see him coming, and you'll be able to dodge his jump attack, but it's better to play it safe, and leave the winch before he comes back. You shouldn't have to use the winch too often if you're good at button mashing.

Inside the boxes are stage lights and some cartons of orange juice. There's also a snack near the boxes.

If you grab the stage light, then instead of punching him five times, hit him with it twice.

Personally, I didn't bother running around the walkways. I saw some items around the corner; I don't know what they are, but maybe they make the fight easier. But I didn't think it was worth it, as if you go onto the walkways, he just activates the sparklers, and you're further away from the winch.

Oh, and if he does a charge attack, do a roll dodge to the side. If he does catch you with it though, then if you counter with the right button presses, take advantage of him being stunned by getting five punches/two hits with a stage light in.

I found the final boss in DR1 a lot harder, to be honest.

The final boss is indeed Sullivan right? Or is this something after the credits I'm about to see?

MicVlaD said:
Don't recall something like that in DR1 myself, other than the final area's of Overtime. Not a lot of screen-tearing either other than a specific area or two, but tearing did become much more frequent when playing the game through VGA.

I didn't either, so I was shocked to see it when replaying the game. But I think that just goes to show that the framerate issue won't bother most people. The game is good enough that those technical flaws won't stick with most people as a sour point.

Vinterbird said:
Seems like there's the lovely return of Overtime after the credits roll if you gave Zombrex to TK
Yeah i didnt do that. I had some to spare too, but figured there would be a clear indication of when i was supposed to give it to him. I didnt know to take the
"he could turn any minute"
quite so literaly.

Somewhat unrelated, but anyone got suggestions for a melee weapon for the
chef
? Baseball bat is too slow, he nails me everytime while i'm still recovering from my own swing.
Edit: knife-gloves are too slow too, he gets me everytime. This is annoying. I guess i'll just get survivors to help me out or something.

Dizzle24

I've been playing the PS3 version since yesterday and while the game is really awesome, the fucking time limit on some of these side-cases (especially when I have 5 at a time) is really shitty.

I've failed 2 already because while one message pops up telling me to go save people, another pops ups up on the complete other side of the map, leaving me no chance of completing both at all. It doesn't help that Chuck runs like he has syrup on his shoes.

That aside, weapon creating is awesome. Can't wait to toss my IED at a bunch of zombies. :D

spons

Gold Member
Fistwell said:
Yeah i didnt do that. I had some to spare too, but figured there would be a clear indication of when i was supposed to give it to him. I didnt know to take the
"he could turn any minute"
quite so literaly.

chef
? Baseball bat is too slow, he nails me everytime while i'm still recovering from my own swing.
Edit: knife-gloves are too slow too, he gets me everytime. This is annoying. I guess i'll just get survivors to help me out or something.
I did it with the knife gloves and a lot of drinks with the 50% extra health recovery magazine. And getting the survivors in fights with psychopaths is stupid, they'll just get killed, I had to restart when I tried that once :lol.

Volcynika

Darklord said:
Was it even explained why steam has a weeks lock on the PC version? Why the hell can't I play this now(or last week for that matter)? This thread is killing me.

That's how Steam works. Publisher says "release it on this day" and that's why it's locked. They rarely if ever unlock titles earlier than the release date given. They should at least do what THQ did with Darksiders and unlock it at midnight EST though.

So not much to explain!

Darklord

Banned
Volcynika said:
That's how Steam works. Publisher says "release it on this day" and that's why it's locked. They rarely if ever unlock titles earlier than the release date given. They should at least do what THQ did with Darksiders and unlock it at midnight EST though.

So not much to explain!

Actually, I meant why keep it locked for an extra week. It seems stupid. It just encourages pirating.

Volcynika

Darklord said:
Actually, I meant why keep it locked for an extra week. It seems stupid. It just encourages pirating.

Isn't there some sort of boxed version somewhere? People said GFWL already unlocked the game for people, but I'm not completely sure.

Zenith

Banned
Fistwell said:
chef

I just used the shotgun. Stay at mid-range. When he throws the frying pan at you you shoot it out the air, and he's vulnerable for a follow-up shot. Then he'll try and melee you with a frying pan which you can dodge and he's vulnerable again.

failing that, there's a survivor very close by.
on the other side of the food court you'll hear a man shouting. Look up to the battlements. Climb the vending machines to reach him. You need him anyway because the woman in the kitchen only trusts him.

Zenith said:
I just used the shotgun. Stay at mid-range. When he throws the frying pan at you you shoot it out the air, and he's vulnerable for a follow-up shot. Then he'll try and melee you with a frying pan which you can dodge and he's vulnerable again.
Cool. Didnt know i could shoot the pan. Thanks.

Sephon

I truly adore this game, in the first playthrough I hated the psychopats so much that I considered to quit playing.
But after after a reply I started to get that combo weapons really is the way to go and to stock up properly makes all the difference.

But except the wonderful feeling of slaying zombies, exploring the giant map and trying to find new combo weapons there are a few sequences that really crack me up.

One example is when encounter the psycopathic
"law-enforcerer" who at the moment before he dies says that he's twice the man you are, and a moment later he gets split in half. Which Chuck comments with "I see what you did there", that comment made me love Chuck for making me laugh 'til I cried

Darklord

Banned
Volcynika said:
Isn't there some sort of boxed version somewhere? People said GFWL already unlocked the game for people, but I'm not completely sure.

It's double the price of the steam version in Australia. :(

iratA

[RANT]

Oh for the love of god can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong in this game?

1. I feel like I'm constantly pushing shit up a hill in this game. For start, I feel like I'm being pulled in all directions with multiple survivors/quests and its so frustrating getting from point A to point B when your getting swamped constantly.

2. My character is at level 6 on chapter 3.2 with still nothing more than melee type weapons 95% of the time. Even they just keep breaking on me. I found a light machine gun once but ran out of ammo so quick it was basically worthless. Should I have focused on getting my level up higher earlier to unlock more skills and combo cards?

I want to like this game but I can't even drop the difficulty (not that I can see in the options anyway). Five health bars, with nothing more than melee weapons, against these undead masses and with time restrictions on top is really wearing me down. Oh and don't even get me started on those mini boss type characters.

*sigh*

[/RANT]

luxarific said:

Unfortunately they really haven't. There are still extremely long load times in most places, and you regularly have to wait a good 30 seconds when changing between areas.

Sephon said:
I truly adore this game, in the first playthrough I hated the psychopats so much that I considered to quit playing.
But after after a reply I started to get that combo weapons really is the way to go and to stock up properly makes all the difference.

But except the wonderful feeling of slaying zombies, exploring the giant map and trying to find new combo weapons there are a few sequences that really crack me up.

One example is when encounter the psycopathic
"law-enforcerer" who at the moment before he dies says that he's twice the man you are, and a moment later he gets split in half. Which Chuck comments with "I see what you did there", that comment made me love Chuck for making me laugh 'til I cried
Saw, i saw what you did there.

iratA said:
1. I feel like I'm constantly pushing shit up a hill in this game. For start, I feel like I'm being pulled in all directions with multiple survivors/quests and its so frustrating getting from point A to point B when your getting swamped constantly.

2. My character is at level 6 on chapter 3.2 with still nothing more than melee type weapons 95% of the time. Even they just keep breaking on me. I found a light machine gun once but ran out of ammo so quick it was basically worthless. Should I have focused on getting my level up higher earlier to unlock more skills and combo cards?
1. I dont think you're meant to tackle absolutely everything, especially on your first run. Think of the "case missions" as your main quest, and everything else as a bonus, sidequest, optional stuff, etc.

2. all weapons are temporary. I think you're meant to recon the place, memorize where to find the good stuff, and resupply on the fly.

Anyways, that's how i look at it.

Zenith

Banned
iratA said:
[RANT]

Oh for the love of god can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong in this game?

I want to like this game but I can't even drop the difficulty (not that I can see in the options anyway). Five health bars, with nothing more than melee weapons, against these undead masses and with time restrictions on top is really wearing me down. Oh and don't even get me started on those mini boss type characters.

*sigh*

[/RANT]

Typically I go to the survivors who are closest or who have the least amount of time left. If some are grouped close together then so much the better. Using the maintenance tunnels is fast. Survivors give a lot of XP.

You only need the combo card to use the special attack (hold down attack button). You can still combine. Each tool room usually has the components for 1 weapon already in it, most obvious being nailbat at the safehouse. There are 4 tool rooms encircling the chapel where you fight the psycho. One has components for lightsabre, one for IED, one for paddlesaw, one for guitar & amp. Looking at certain posters (e.g. movie poster for an action film) will give you combo cards.

All items respawn so feel free to get the broadswords next to the guitars (go right out of safehouse entrance). Look online for combo lists and if you feel like it trek to the gun store in the north east.

As for levelling, I'm on lvl19 just after
destroying the drills for the casino robbery
so I think I'm at about the same point as you.

iratA

Zenith said:
Typically I go to the survivors who are closest or who have the least amount of time left. If some are grouped close together then so much the better. Using the maintenance tunnels is fast. Survivors give a lot of XP.

You only need the combo card to use the special attack (hold down attack button). You can still combine. Each tool room usually has the components for 1 weapon already in it, most obvious being nailbat at the safehouse. There are 4 tool rooms encircling the chapel where you fight the psycho. One has components for lightsabre, one for IED, one for paddlesaw, one for guitar & amp. Looking at certain posters (e.g. movie poster for an action film) will give you combo cards.

All items respawn so feel free to get the broadswords next to the guitars (go right out of safehouse entrance). Look online for combo lists and if you feel like it trek to the gun store in the north east.

As for levelling, I'm on lvl19 just after
destroying the drills for the casino robbery
so I think I'm at about the same point as you

Thanks for all your tips I will try and use all of this.

I think having more health bars would have to help somewhat. How many do you have at level 19?
I may need to restart my entire game and try and level quicker. This game for me atm just feels like hard work.

iratA said:
I may need to restart my entire game and try and level quicker. This game for me atm just feels like hard work.
You know about the "start over with your current level" option, right?

TheFreshPrince said:
Is it possible to complete the story on the first go, or is a restart/level-carry-over pretty much required to finish the story successfully?
Got A ending without restarting.
But i apparently missed some stuff, so guess i didnt really complete the story.

TheFreshPrince said:
Is it possible to complete the story on the first go, or is a restart/level-carry-over pretty much required to finish the story successfully?

If it's structured at all like DR1, it might be theoretically possible, but your character would be so weak that it would be incredibly difficult to do so. The difference between LV1 and LV50 is pretty significant, sort of like in Metroid how you are much more powerful with all of the upgrades.

Top Bottom