• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2 |OT|: He knows his way around a zombie or two.

RustyO

Still sitting on the fence over which version to get and think I'm going to order it in from overseas as local retail price is too much...

MMaRsu

DevilWillcry said:
If it makes ya feel any better it sounds like both console versions are a complete wreck when it comes to framerate so I'd say you're good with either console version.

Complete wreck :lol :lol :lol

What a load of goddamn nonsense.

Man...I'm so weak. Bought the game for 360 today. My PC could handle the game better than the 360 but I'm not interested in playing games on PC.

Bought the normal version. On a side note: The Outbreak Edition is huge. :lol

NIGHT-

Fortinbras said:
Man...I'm so weak. Bought the game for 360 today. My PC could handle the game better than the 360 but I'm not interested in playing games on PC.

Bought the normal version. On a side note: The Outbreak Edition is huge. :lol

Yea my PC should run it fine but I want the 360 version for achievements and to play with my friends on XBL. Totally understandable if your reasons are similar.

Xater

I could get the game right now, but I am still afraid of blind buying it. I jsut don#t know how much of the reviews for Case 0 were influneced by how cheap it was and how this plays out over a whole game.

d1rtn4p

I'm torn. I know there is a performance thread for this game, but it seems pretty inconclusive at this time. Are there any hard numbers on where the PC,360,PS3 stand as far as looks and performance at this point?

FrankT

Sevket-Erhat said:
I got mine early as well. Great game

Good to hear. Wondering if the game can maintain the review scores of the first. I suppose at least some should be hitting by end of the week.

Hoping someone figures out how to remove all the time limit stuff on the PC version. I'll totally buy it if that happens. I get why it's in there, jsut dont' feel like going through all that stress again. I want to explore leasurely, damnit.

Whoompthereitis said:
Hoping someone figures out how to remove all the time limit stuff on the PC version. I'll totally buy it if that happens. I get why it's in there, jsut dont' feel like going through all that stress again. I want to explore leasurely, damnit.
just ignore the case files. that'll give you plenty of stress free options probably.

onken

Played the retail build at TGS, my pre-order stands, can't wait. Also looking at your watch does NOT pause the game.

d1rtn4p said:
I'm torn. I know there is a performance thread for this game, but it seems pretty inconclusive at this time. Are there any hard numbers on where the PC,360,PS3 stand as far as looks and performance at this point?

Nah, there's nothing scientific out there yet. Best keep it in the other thread though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Vaa said:
Here are the first ten minutes of the game, where the infection begins ! Could be interesting to watch for those who are not sure to buy it.
That was great! Lots of cheese and beautifully directed, very promising.

MMaRsu

Whoompthereitis said:

And you can. Sorta. Just don't do any missions.

Lyonaz

Man whoever said the Outbreak Edition box was big wasn't kidding, that shit is HUGE!
Bigger than my Tekken 6 Limited Edition box. :lol

Danielsan

For those who have the game. Is the framerate better, the same, or worse than Case Zero?
I really enjoyed Case Zero, but its framerate was inexcusably bad in my opinion.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just watched the first 10 minutes and it looks surprisingly appealing to me. While it's true that much of the goofiness of the original is present in this game, the presentation here is so much more interesting. The first 10 minutes of the original were pretty boring and worthless, really, and the game never attempted to do anything story wise.

This, on the other hand, has me genuinely interested. I just hope the PC version is solid as the console versions appear to be too pretty awful. It's a damn shame the tech powering this game is plagued by so many performance issues (horrible loading and a low framerate).

The PC port COULD turn out awful, unfortunately, so I'm eager to hear some impressions.

Whoompthereitis said:

A simple trainer should be all that's required to freeze the time counter, and they get released for even the most obscure of games. I'd say the chances of a decent solution ariving are pretty high even if there aren't full on mods available for the game.

MMaRsu

dark10x said:
Just watched the first 10 minutes and it looks surprisingly appealing to me. While it's true that much of the goofiness of the original is present in this game, the presentation here is so much more interesting. The first 10 minutes of the original were pretty boring and worthless, really, and the game never attempted to do anything story wise.

This, on the other hand, has me genuinely interested. I just hope the PC version is solid as the console versions appear to be too pretty awful. It's a damn shame the tech powering this game is plagued by so many performance issues (horrible loading and a low framerate).

The PC port COULD turn out awful, unfortunately, so I'm eager to hear some impressions.

It's.... the first 10 minutes..

dark10x said:

Well feature wise we know we're fine, there's GFWL multiplayer, 360 controller support, MSAA/AF support and DX10 support are all confirmed to be in so even with a bad port, sheer brute force might be enough. Hopefully there's a 30fps cap (as there are in most Capcom PC ports internal and external) as that would alone would be enough to guarantee a great experience on modern PC hardware no matter how shoddy the port.

The recommended hardware is pretty low as well, so that bodes well. I'm pretty confident, and at the very least I see little way for it to be possible for it to be worse than the console release ince it has feature parity and considering its 50% cheaper, that alone makes the choice of which version to go with a no brainer for me.

MMaRsu said:
It's.... the first 10 minutes..

And he said he realy liked what he saw, your point being? 10 minutes of footage is more than enough to judge whether performance is sub par especially once you add it to the fact that Case Zero suffered from the exact same issues. Its pretty safe to assume that there's going to be major framerate issues in both console releases at this point, there's quite an overwhelming mass of evidence of that fact by now.

Diablos

dark10x said:

PS3 or 360 version? :p

MMaRsu

If major is the same or slightly better than Case Zero I will be fine with it.

Take the technical discussion to the thread dedicated for it please :).

The gameplay and presentation of this game looks amazing. I saw a dude pushing a wheelchair around and one of the zombies fell in it while he was pushing it :lol .

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any idea how the game progresses this time around? Does it actually remain story/event driven? It never really felt as if anything you did in the original made any difference and I'm hoping that isn't the case here. One of the best examples would be the convicts in the courtyard. Why the hell did they respawn on a regular basis? That kind of thing completely broke the illusion of progression.

Looks like the PS3 version is going to be available before the 360 version here. Any consensus yet on which version is better?
I think the consensus is that the 360 version is probably a touch better, but both have significant performance problems. Should have been an MT Framework game.

Diablos said:
PS3 or 360 version? :p

Both! :lol

It seems to be like Mafia 2, where despite the fact the 360 version held a pretty substantial advantage over the PS3 version it all kinda counted for naught in the end because both version were so horrible. The PC version came to the rescue in that case, hopefully it does here as well.

PowerSmell said:
Looks like the PS3 version is going to be available before the 360 version here. Any consensus yet on which version is better?

Again, both console versions seem to have significant issues that will have a tangible effect on gameplay (the degree of which depends on the individual), the PS3 version just seems to amplify them. Hold out for impressions on the PC version if you have access to any sort of gaming rig, as if you care about performance (load times/framerate/aa) its your only real hope but we've little clue how it performs yet.

i dont have a desk or time to play this right now on my pc its kind of annoying. i only have a 360 still because of DR1 and EDF2017. Cant wait but i may have to.

panda21

is it really that bad? i only tried the trial but case zero seemed to run fine to me

i'm sure the PC version will look better but it didnt seem unplayable or anything i would call a problem on the 360

unless people are talking about the full game?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Still too much "probably" for PS3.

The minor differences between the console versions will be insignificant compared to PC so I stopped caring and stick to the console with most friends.

Diablos

brain_stew said:
Both! :lol

It seems to be like Mafia 2, where despite the fact the 360 version held a pretty substantial advantage over the PS3 version it all kinda counted for naught in the end because both version were so horrible. The PC version came to the rescue in that case, hopefully it does here as well.

Again, both console versions seem to have significant issues that will have a tangible effect on gameplay (the degree of which depends on the individual), the PS3 version just seems to amplify them. Hold out for impressions on the PC version if you have access to any sort of gaming rig, as if you care about performance (load times/framerate/aa) its your only real hope but we've little clue how it performs yet.
Eh, compared to the PC yes, of course they are both inferior. That being said sharper textures and a less-shitty framerate are big pluses when the game is running terribly to begin with.

Diablos said:
Eh, compared to the PC yes, of course they are both inferior. That being said sharper textures and a less-shitty framerate are big pluses when the game is running terribly to begin with.

This sentence really doesn't make any sense at all.

panda21 said:
is it really that bad? i?

Depends on whether you feel prolonged periods of gameplay at 20fps or below as well as ridiculously lengthy load times are a big deal or not. I feel they are (especially when the game is rather ugly and plagued with significant aliasing), as do many others, you might not but I can't make the decision for you, just present the evidence we have so far. It certainly appears to be much worse than the performance in your average multiplatform game, at the very least. Oh, and if you plan on playing on the PS3 it seems you can add a crapload of tearing and an even worse framerate to the mix. Again, that may not bother you, but we all have different thresholds of what we deem satisfactory.

Jeff Stephen said:

There looks to be a few new ones there, yeah. Again they all appear to be direct feed with high levels of MSAA/AF which is a good sign. They're certainly not bullshots as the arrow and HUD are still severely aliased so this is just further confirmation that the PC version does indeed support MSAA natively. Quite a relief as the lack of any AA solution in Case Zero could look pretty poor at times coupled with the severely aliased shadows.

Diablos

brain_stew said:
This sentence really doesn't make any sense at all.
How so? See below.

DevilWillcry said:
If it makes ya feel any better it sounds like both console versions are a complete wreck when it comes to framerate so I'd say you're good with either console version.
360's framerate at least has some, uh, consistency. PS3 looks like it's even lower and tears like a mofo. If DR2 360 performs like Case Zero, it's tolerable. PS3 seems to be nearly unbearable.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
New ps3 video showing the tearing that I missed?

If there's one thing that does bother me on consoles despite my above post, it is excessive tearing.

Mafia 2....

Top Bottom