• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

Oh, one of the parts of upgrading it is Crota raid on hard more? For an RNG drop of a rare "Crux of Crota" crafting material. Now I don't feel bad anymore - that was never going to happen for me anyway. So nothing of value was lost. If another Husk drops sometime, I'll still salvage it.

Acorn

Oh, one of the parts of upgrading it is Crota raid on hard more? For an RNG drop of a rare "Crux of Crota" crafting material. Now I don't feel bad anymore - that was never going to happen for me anyway. So nothing of value was lost. If another Husk drops sometime, I'll still salvage it.
Know that feel

kidko

Oh dang I need some glitter bad. Is anyone doing the VoG glitter farm? Sounds promising but I've never done it

Wait - is it important? I saw it in my inventory, a white crappy item, and salvaged it...

I'm going to regret having done that, aren't I...

tumblr_m6mzrs0OOl1rr7c36.gif

Oh dang I need some glitter bad. Is anyone doing the VoG glitter farm? Sounds promising but I've never done it

Same! I only have ~2k. I have the checkpoint but I'm going to bed. It's the fastest with multiple people. And more fun than the Mars one. Tomorrow?

VoG glimmer farm is super (pun intended) legit, as long as you have at least 3 or 4 people. More the merrier. I can share the glimmer farm checkpoint if you need it, especially if you can show me where this VoG glitter farm is located. Sounds awesome.

VoG glimmer farm is super (pun intended) legit, as long as you have at least 3 or 4 people. More the merrier. I can share the glimmer farm checkpoint if you need it, especially if you can show me where this VoG glitter farm is located. Sounds awesome.

Hahahaha I didn't even notice glitter.

kidko

Hahahaha I didn't even notice glitter.

haha oops I promise I wasn't talking about the strip club

EDIT: also that is very kind of you, thanks. I am solo for now but if I can find a couple more, I'd take you up on the offer to grab that checkpoint

joecanada

Ya it would be the equivalent of getting laces for raid boots and then being told to find the rest of the boots in VoG. I ran vog every week, still am helping others through it. Haven't got half the raid gear from there. Way past caring.
Also never making Lvl 32 and not caring. The game punishes you for caring about any valuable drops or putting time in.

Jinjo

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2pzml3/the_crota_bossfight_doesnt_make_sense/

"From his perspective, he just stands there, mostly out of his attacking range, and watches as 6 dopey guardians kill his minions to collect heavy ammo and eventually the sword bearer. He quite literally lets the only weapon that can hurt him be brought out of his range of fire so the guardians can take it and smack him with it.

Does anyone else feel like he should probably just tell the sword bearer to watch some Netflix and just hang out behind that door we can't open until he can rage and call some Ogres to finish the job?

My Final Bossfight: Crota's shield is an ever changing element. Once that specific element takes it down, only Super abilities can harm him. His main attack is that of the knight you fight at the end of Fist of Crota. No adds. No bullshit. Just a 7 man Super Fest. When he gets down to a sliver of health, he enrages and tries to assholes and elbows out of there, at which time his shield won't recharge and you chase him on speeders, landing tricks to do taunt damage him until he's dead."

I remember reading a rumor that sparrows would be used in this raid. It's obviously a silly idea, but it's one of many others that sound like Bungie could have made the fight more interesting and challenging. Atheon at least sends us through time and has oracles try to wipe us out of existence. Crota just waits to get beaten with a stick.

While I agree with the "Crota is silly" sentiment, I'm absolutely happy this guy is not on the Bungie devteam. Or a gamedeveloper for that matter.

While I agree with the "Crota is silly" sentiment, I'm absolutely happy this guy is not on the Bungie devteam. Or a gamedeveloper for that matter.

It seems like my intentions with that post may have been misunderstood.

The OP of that thread probably came up with that post in 10 minutes. Ideas are a dime a dozen and even good ideas that make it to prototypes can fail testing.

The problem with Destiny is that some ideas that should have made it on the cutting floor somehow didn't, and even those that made it in weren't properly tested. I'm not necessarily referring to CE in particular, but rather certain aspects that are uninspired or seemingly developed in a bubble irrespective of how they preformed.

In other words, Bungie needs a new QA team.

Jinjo

The OP of that thread probably came up with that post in 10 minutes. Ideas are a dime a dozen and even good ideas that make it to prototypes can fail testing.

The problem with Destiny is that some ideas that should have made it on the cutting floor somehow didn't, and even those that made it in weren't properly tested.

Ow yeah, I definitely agree with you on that. Bungie definitely " forgot" to include a lot of basic stuff in the game they should have. Or just haven't fully playtested it correctly. The whole material grind being one of those things they deliberately patched, because they themselves found material farming a bitch and boring. How did they not pick that up in testing?

Edit: see your edit now, I got the sentiment of your post, but the point that I was trying to make is that coming up with actual fun gameplay hooks is not as easy as that guy portrays it to be (like you yourself point out too). Even Bungie forgot that sometimes during the development of Destiny it seems.

raindoc

got legendary gloves from an enegram. fucking titan gloves. If I'm not gonna make a titan alt should I just dismantle these?
make an titan alt and store it on him, even if you cuurently don't plan on using it any further, just in case. you won't get much glimmer for dismantling it and you'll have no use for the plasteel.

got legendary gloves from an enegram. fucking titan gloves. If I'm not gonna make a titan alt should I just dismantle these?

make an titan alt and store it on him, even if you cuurently don't plan on using it any further, just in case. you won't get much glimmer for dismantling it and you'll have no use for the plasteel.

Ignore him. If you don't want to start a Titan alt, just dismantle it for the Ass Shards.

Upto 600+ hours and still never gotten an exotic out of a legendary engram...smh. I swear some accounts have an affinity towards drops of certain kinds. RNG is BS.

Ow yeah, I definitely agree with you on that. Bungie definitely " forgot" to include a lot of basic stuff in the game they should have. Or just haven't fully playtested it correctly. The whole material grind being one of those things they deliberately patched, because they themselves found material farming a bitch and boring. How did they not pick that up in testing?

Edit: see your edit now, I got the sentiment of your post, but the point that I was trying to make is that coming up with actual fun gameplay hooks is not as easy as that guy portrays it to be (like you yourself point out too). Even Bungie forgot that sometimes during the development of Destiny it seems.

Ah, I see. Yea i wasn't necessarily agreeing with the thread, but rather echoing previous posts that were made about the shallow encounters in the game, including but not limited to the Crota fight.

I don't doubt that there is a healthy amount of internal debate at Bungie, but it's puzzling when some obvious issues make it into the game and then they publicly appear bamboozled by it.

I don't think it's bad to say "How did they not notice this?" when there are people hired for the sole purpose of discovering it (gameplay and balance issues moreso than bugs and glitches).

I dunno, I don't want to wear out the leather on this armchair but my confusion continues to grow.

Upto 600+ hours and still never gotten an exotic out of a legendary engram...smh. I swear some accounts have an affinity towards drops of certain kinds. RNG is BS.

Same here. First Nightfall received Suros and everything since has been through missives or Xur.

Did get Mythoclast on my first Hard Raid, so maybe that's where it balances out.

I don't think it's fair to blame QA for any and all problems you have with Destiny because the reality of software development is far more complicated than that.

I think there are a fair amount of things in the game that feel underdeveloped, and from my understanding it's the job of the internal testers to bring those issues to light so that the developers can iterate and refine those systems. Whether they had the time and money, or were willing to is another matter.

I still think somebody didn't do their job right; however, I'm less interested in pointing fingers and more concerned with the acknowledgement and rectification of the issues.

hydruxo

Why are so many people using explosive rounds on Fatebringer now? Have they changed the way they work so it doesn't do lower overall DPS anymore?

It doesn't do less DPS.

In summary, and I state this information as though it is true even though it may not be:

-Explosive rounds do not lower your overall damage output, precision or otherwise.
-The explosion damage (as well as damage dealt by the firefly perk) deal the same damage type as the gun itself does. This means that Fatebringer's explosive rounds and firefly effects deal arc damage.

rNilla

Somebody didn't do their job right, although I'm less interested in pointing fingers and more concerned with the acknowledgement and rectification of the issues.

Yup, ultimately who is to blame for what doesn't necessarily matter from a consumer perspective. You'll get no argument from me that this game feels like something that was ultimately rushed out the door with many aspects seeming half-baked (e.g. the "story").

However, it's entirely possible "QA" brought up many of the issues you have but were overruled by the nature of having to ship a product. This point doesn't matter that much but I point it out knowing that it isn't as simple as a group of people testing it and saying "Looks good, ship it!"

Arrrammis

I'd hang onto them, if you have room in the vault. You might eventually decide to make a titan, and having legendary gear ready to jump you from 20 to 29 right away is great. At least just keep them until you absolutely need the shards. You can always shard them, but once you lose the gloves you probably won't get them again until you level a titan alt.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I wish I had someone to run these story missions with. Chamber of Night on the Moon was a bitch and I was Level 10. It's a Level 8 mission. ;__;

Jinjo

Farming fist for husk is so fun...

I basicly stopped all my farming activities in Destiny and I'm having much more fun. I know I'll be playing this game for a long time to come, so if that armor upgrade or husk of the pit or special exotics doesn't immediately drop or takes some time to get I'm not too worried. Eventually I'll get there/that special item,
right?

I think I have reached a new state of Destiny ascendance.

Now I only need to try and fit playing other games in there.

Acorn

I basicly stopped all my farming activities in Destiny and I'm having much more fun. I know I'll be playing this game for a long time to come, so if that armor upgrade or husk of the pit or special exotics doesn't immediately drop or takes some time to get I'm not too worried. Eventually I'll get there/that special item,
right?

I think I have reached a new state of Destiny ascendance.

Now I only need to try and fit playing other games in there.
I'm just farming until the bounties reset nothing else to do lol

Bad Juju is great fun for doing bounties, especially silly Eris-wake-the-hive stuff. No reloading, kills fill your super for solar/arc ability kills. Good stuff.

I'd be up for this if you need people. Wouldn't mind a couple more chances/failures at Time Piece.
We both just got off and I am about to make some food, but if you guys need 1 more, I can get on after the reset. I have enough time for 1 hard VoG

Acorn

Bad Juju is great fun for doing bounties, especially silly Eris-wake-the-hive stuff. No reloading, kills fill your super for solar/arc ability kills. Good stuff.

I'd be up for this if you need people. Wouldn't mind a couple more chances/failures at Time Piece.
I need shards so I definitely want to get two runs done today. Just trying to get double eris bounties first

Top Bottom