• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

You'd probably just gargle that stuff just to laugh at the pain.

I always said you were a lunatic.

untitled-1060sxt.gif

Trakan

Oh God, please no. For The People is barely usable as it is. It's one of the best low impact, high rate of fire ARs for PvE because of its combination of stability and 56 magazine size with Field Scout. It's the Atheon's Epilogue with stability perk and more impact. If Destiny lowers the precision damage for ARs anymore, ARs would be absolutely useless in this game for both PvE and PvP. ARs are absolutely fine as they are now for PvP. I barely hear the sound of a Suros Regime anymore since the most recent balance patch. The damage is already done and enough.

The only thing they should do is remove Accelerated Coils perk from the game and slightly increase the base charge times of all FRs in the game if Destiny wants to compensate the loss of Accelerated Coils for PvE. The Trolley Problem without Accelerated Coils at close range is a high risk, high reward gamble.

They should just make better maps first. Zone placement along with tight corridors in Control make the use of shotguns prevalent as they are because they are suitable on maps like Twilight Gap.

ARs do not have to have the same damage model for PVE and PVP. Keep them the way they are for PVE, I'm fine with that. In PVP, for their ease of use, they're too good. Just because you don't like Up for anything doesn't mean that Shadow Price, Vanquisher, and Suros don't still exist. If you haven't seen your buddy Suros in a while, just check out the next Iron Banner, especially if there's autorifle bounties.

I did the void damage part of the Thorn's bounty exclusively with a fusion rifle. There is no risk at all using them. They take no skill to use. They kill in one shot from ridiculously far away and if you miss you have another shot ready to go instantly with how fast the charge rate is on them.

Zakalwe

Banned

Your bottomless supply of perfectly suitable gifs is lulling me into a false sense of endearment.

Solas warned me about demons like you.

Shouldn't of tried to switch characters, can't log on now :(

I reset my router to fix a spotty connection earlier and realised what I'd done just as I yanked the chord.

Now I'm sitting here playing "other" games and refreshing this forum waiting for the first "I'M IN!"

Goddamn it, Bungie.

Magik

If there's something that is really need in PvP is better maps. Majority of them are terrible.

On a side note, this outage is such BS especially after getting Ghalljorn for the first time yesterday and finally have the right gear to have two Level 32 Warlocks.

Mindlog

It'd be worse with matchmaking- literal anonymity without even the slightest hope of creating reasonable expectations before the join.

All the convoluted solutions I've seen to have matchmaking only available after raid completion, only people with mics, some kind of match token system, etc. just address a subset of the myriad problems with creating a fireteam from a blind match- the way the current system does for strike playlists, i.e.: the only thing the players in the fireteam necessarily have in common is that they pressed the button for the same piece of content at roughly the same time.

Game desperately needs an in-game LFG board/fireteam finder with similar functionality to the destinylfg.net tools. Groups put together this way would still be largely inferior to ones formed from a knit community like this one, but would have a much higher success rate than blind matchmade teams, while allowing for the possibility of brand new players joining a raid for the first time and having a good experience, speedruns identifying themselves as such, filtering out the groups that are incompatible with your play habits, etc.

Because it would be a shitshow XD New players would join in on matchmade raid fireteams, have a horrific experience and think that Destiny's raids were unplayable pieces of shit that they never wanted to touch again. Please take my word for it that it would hurt the experience overall substantially, or at least explain what would be wrong with a LFG board instead?
One day we'll be able to have a conversation about Raid matchmaking where Strike matchmaking isn't brought up. Are there any examples of people reasonably stating that Strike and Raid matchmaking should be comparable? It's some sort of perverse Destiny Godwin's Law.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
i'm surprised anyone's taking about charge times with fusion rifles... there are two schools of them, those with super quick charge times, lower impact and range, and those with long charge times, super high impact and range. My preference is deeply for the latter (though Light of the Abyss is trying to convert me), because I'm good at cooking my charge and like the idea of knowing I have the kill if I'm on the money, even at the farthest possible distance for the rifle. With Light of the Abyss, occasionally I'll "hit," i.e. get the shot I was going for, but it won't be a kill. However, I can sometimes get a second shot off before dying, which is amazing in its own right.

I think it's good that the game has both of these types and they're both fun to use. The issue is with fusion rifle range across the board, which is to say: regardless of what type you're firing they do too much damage at mid- and even mid-long range. More specifically, the range at which they do full (or near enough) damage is outrageous. The current max range that a fusion rifle can one-shot someone from should really do something more like 1/3rd of a health bar in a damage.

So really, I think just amplifying the spread of the beams with range is all that's needed. Messing with accelerated coils or specifically targeting the quick charge rifles while leaving others untouched seems like hasty and partial solution. I did my Thorn bounty in Rumble with 77 Wizard only, which is a long-charge fusion.
One day we'll be able to have a conversation about Raid matchmaking where Strike matchmaking isn't brought up. Are there any examples of people reasonably stating that Strike and Raid matchmaking should be comparable? It's some sort of perverse Destiny Godwin's Law.
This isn't a constructive comment. But since you made it, what would the difference be, from the perspective of a new player selecting to be matchmade for the first time?

Geneijin

ARs do not have to have the same damage model for PVE and PVP. Keep them the way they are for PVE, I'm fine with that. In PVP, for their ease of use, they're too good. Just because you don't like Up for anything doesn't mean that Shadow Price, Vanquisher, and Suros don't still exist. If you haven't seen your buddy Suros in a while, just check out the next Iron Banner, especially if there's autorifle bounties.
I know they don't have the same damage model, but the change to the precision damage modifier for ARs does affect both equally because they do. Go look at the precision damage from an Atheon's Epilogue for both modes. You'll see the change from x1.50 to x1.25. And you suggest they lower the precision damage modifier even more? No way. Just because The Shadow Price, Grim Citizen III, Vanquisher VIII, etc exist doesn't mean this needs to be change further. Decrease the impact again if anything else, but don't touch the precision damage modifier again. Don't overreact because of a few select guns.

I did the void damage part of the Thorn's bounty exclusively with a fusion rifle. There is no risk at all using them. They take no skill to use. They kill in one shot from ridiculously far away and if you miss you have another shot ready to go instantly with how fast the charge rate is on them.
Did you not read what I said? Remove Accelerated Coils perk from all FRs would fix a lot of this. FRs shouldn't be allowed to get two shots off against an AR user from close range unless the AR user sucks at aiming, then they deserve to die.

Zakalwe

Banned
How do you think I feel?! It's Boxing Day and I'm at work! This shit is mental!

One of my Destiny buddies works for the NHS and he was on from early this morning.

His next day off is the 4th.

Shit like this makes me despair. Back at work on the 29th is bad enough...

Atkison04

Bungie will never make more effort with this game when the game's got us this way.

I'd say we should stage some kind of protest but who the fuck am I kidding.

Playing DA:I and I keep trying to Lift when I jump.

Fml.

This is the first day i haven't played since the game came out. Crazy how much destiny has become my idle time addiction. Those moments when i have nothing else to do, i play destiny. I love it. I'm going to a cabin tomorrow for 3 days so I'm gonna have fun, but the withdrawal will be real. I just want to visit xur in the morning and I'll feel ready to go. I'll be coming back in time for reset Tuesday so i have that to look forward to after the trip.

I traded in all my ps4 games except destiny to earn credit for a vita. I only want a vita for destiny remote play. The only game that's gonna find itself in my ps4 in the near future besides destiny is bloodborne. Dat addiction.

I think at this point that we can conclude that the general difference in opinion between NaturalHigh and the rest of us can either mean 1) he's pretty inexperienced with this GAF thread and/or Destiny OR 2) we're getting trolled.

Not trolling just pointing out observations I've made. I have been creeping this thread for awhile now. I know it is ps4 heavy. Which sucks because I want to come here to play with you all but I can't. I have got plenty of hours logged considering my copy was in storage for 2months.

I am just now learning the raids so am a little behind in that respect. I just wanted to see if anyone would help me downplay the hype but I guess I'll bite on the Horn love.

Zakalwe

Banned
PvP does bring out the rage demon inside me.

I remember one time when we'd done a raid or nightfall or something, and me, Roth, and you were sitting around in party chat after everyone else had left.

Roth and I were Relic Iron farming while you took in a few casual control matches.

Everything was cool. Roth and I were shooting the shit. We went quite for a minute or so and suddenly, over the airwaves...

*actual fear*

Trakan

i'm surprised anyone's taking about charge times with fusion rifles... there are two schools of them, those with super quick charge times, lower impact and range, and those with long charge times, super high impact and range. My preference is deeply for the latter (though Light of the Abyss is trying to convert me), because I'm good at cooking my charge and like the idea of knowing I have the kill if I'm on the money, even at the farthest possible distance for the rifle. With Light of the Abyss, occasionally I'll "hit," i.e. get the shot I was going for, but it won't be a kill. However, I can sometimes get a second shot off before dying, which is amazing in its own right.

I think it's good that the game has both of these types and they're both fun to use. The issue is with fusion rifle range across the board, which is to say: regardless of what type you're firing they do too much damage at mid- and even mid-long range. More specifically, the range at which they do full (or near enough) damage is outrageous. The current max range that a fusion rifle can one-shot someone from should really do something more like 1/3rd of a health bar in a damage.

So really, I think just amplifying the spread of the beams with range is all that's needed. Messing with accelerated coils or specifically targeting the quick charge rifles while leaving others untouched seems like hasty and partial solution. I did my Thorn bounty in Rumble with 77 Wizard only, which is a long-charge fusion.

At least you agree with me, I think. The thing is though, you don't need a high impact fusion rifle to be successful. I get one shot by blues. The one I use is a Final Rest which seems to be lower impact than the 77 wizard, but not by much. It has one of the fastest charge times I've seen in the game with accelerated coils.

I know they don't have the same damage model, but the change to the precision damage modifier for ARs does affect both equally because they do. Go look at the precision damage from an Atheon's Epilogue for both modes. You'll see the change from x1.50 to x1.25. And you suggest they lower the precision damage modifier even more? No way. Just because The Shadow Price, Grim Citizen III, Vanquisher VIII, etc exist doesn't mean this needs to be change further. Decrease the impact again if anything else, but don't touch the precision damage modifier again. Don't overreact because of a few select guns.

Did you not read what I said? Remove Accelerated Coils perk from all FRs would fix a lot of this. FRs shouldn't be allowed to get two shots off against an AR user from close range unless the AR user sucks at aiming, then they deserve to die.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting. The precision modifier for PVE should be 1.5 or whatever it was pre-patch, and it should be 0 for Crucible. They nerfed ARs across the board for a whopping 2% last time. Do people really think that helped? It's one more bullet in most cases.

The charge rate is the lesser of two evils. I'm fine with your fix, but the range is the main problem.

Geneijin

The main reason I think the range on FRs are fine is because the difference between a 1 second and 2 second charge time is immense and vastly affects how aggressive an FR user can be with it at those problematic ranges (mid range to mid-to-long range). 77 Wizard, The Trolley Problem, Plug One.1, etc are still perfectly usable even with slow charge times. If anything, people should ask for a stability nerf on FRs more than any range or charge time nerf because of their lack of spread at farther than close range and one hit kill potential even at long range disturbingly.

Zakalwe

Banned
Not trolling just pointing out observations I've made. I have been creeping this thread for awhile now. I know it is ps4 heavy. Which sucks because I want to come here to play with you all but I can't. I have got plenty of hours logged considering my copy was in storage for 2months.

I am just now learning the raids so am a little behind in that respect. I just wanted to see if anyone would help me downplay the hype but I guess I'll bite on the Horn love.

We only praise it like we do because its glory is absolutely motherfuckingly objective.

I hope you get to feel it some day.

Haha yeah for sure. I have been doin my Thorn bounty and I find myself cussing a lot.

"Cussing a lot".

You have no idea...

Us Xbox guys/gals should get something set up that makes it easier to group up, if nothing is already in place. I'd like to not have to go through lfg but I see anybody who posts for groups in this thread for xbox is immediately buried by ps4 stuff.
There's the Destiny party thread in gaming gaf, but other than that nothing. Just try and advertise now and then and build up friends from gaf.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting. The precision modifier for PVE should be 1.5 or whatever it was pre-patch, and it should be 0 for Crucible. They nerfed ARs across the board for a whopping 2% last time. Do people really think that helped? It's one more bullet in most cases.

0 precision modifier on AR's would literally kill them. Pulse rifles with Auto-Fire mods (Bad Juju) and high impact Scouts/HC's would rule the day. AR's would be instant shards for PvP only players and probably a good bit of PvE/PvP players as well since HC's and Scouts quite effective in PvE.

Geneijin

That's exactly what I'm suggesting. The precision modifier for PVE should be 1.5 or whatever it was pre-patch, and it should be 0 for Crucible. They nerfed ARs across the board for a whopping 2% last time. Do people really think that helped? It's one less bullet in most cases.

The charge rate is the lesser of two evils. I'm fine with your fix, but the range is the main problem.
We both know that's not going to happen unless there's a Christmas miracle. PvE and PvP is one and the same with how Destiny was programmed. The last patch with general changes from Auto Rifles to Scout Rifles were made with these two modes simultaneously in mind. Also, impact would have a pretty devastating on ARs. They could easily change enemy damage modifiers like they did for the Scout Rifle buffs since damage is also determined based on enemy type in PvE.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The main reason I think the range on FRs are fine is because the difference between a 1 second and 2 second charge time is immense and vastly affects how aggressive an FR user can be with it at those problematic ranges (mid range to mid-to-long range). 77 Wizard, The Trolley Problem, Plug One.1, etc are still perfectly usable even with slow charge times. If anything, people should ask for a stability nerf on FRs more than any range or charge time nerf because of their lack of spread at farther than close range and one hit kill potential even at long range disturbingly.
Haha, wait... why a stability nerf instead of just what I suggested?

You seem to have contradicted yourself- you think the range is fine because long charge times make a huge difference, but the rifles with long charge times are still perfectly usable?

todd360

Pocket sand! Pocket sand! Its not working nami! The rockets are still targeting me! My super is ready though. I'll be back!

Trakan

0 precision modifier on AR's would literally kill them. Pulse rifles with Auto-Fire mods (Bad Juju) and high impact Scouts/HC's would rule the day. AR's would be instant shards for PvP only players and probably a good bit of PvE/PvP players as well since HC's and Scouts quite effective in PvE.

I'm going off memory here, so forgive me if my numbers are off. If I remember correctly, both the Shadow Price and Suros hit for 27-28 damage on a non-precision shot. That's ~7-8 bullets for a kill. That means with one Suros clip, you could still get 4 kills, and that's not not even including the bottom half of the clip doing extra damage.

Geneijin

Haha, wait... why a stability nerf instead of just what I suggested?

You seem to have contradicted yourself- you think the range is fine because long charge times make a huge difference, but the rifles with long charge times are still perfectly usable?
Because it's high risk, high reward. A FR shouldn't win against a Shotgun that has a fast rate of fire if they missed the first shot. And if an FR missed the first shot but they managed to get a second shot off before and AR or Shotgun can kill them, that's the opposing player's fault for not capitalizing especially when FRs don't have "Easier to aim while under fire" perk or whatever it's called. The problem with FRs is how fast and easy it is to whiff the first shot and even get a second shot in because of the absurdly fast charge times accelerated coils affords them such luxury.

Top Bottom