• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

CLBridges

Man, haven't been able to play Destiny but a couple hours this week. Today was gonna be the day to pour some hours in after the family get together...but PSN lol. Hopefully they will bring up most of it in a few hours, I haven't even raided this week either. Oh, and Xur better be on some Saint Nick come tomorrow and spread the love :)

Never had a problem with fusion rifles in the Crucible and I only use handcannons. Only shotgun users can truly make me rage.

Oh god, yeah. I can deal with most FR users by moving around more and keeping my distance, but shotguns, fuck that shit. The range i get killed at is pretty unbelievebe at times. The only thing that makes me rage more than shotguns is the Fist of Havoc. Ugh fucking bullshit super (yes it has a lot of drawbacks but I hate it so much in PvP)

The kills I get when "throwing up a brick" at range with Plan C, (especially) Pocket Infinity, and even 77 Wizard sometimes are absolutely disgusting... true disbelief moment ("I killed him?"). Light of the Abyss can't pull that stuff, but it's completely brilliant at everything else, so it's been a fun change of pace for me.

I think the nerf to spread alone would be just fine- because the further out you go, the more diffuse the spread will be and thus the less damage you'd do. Regardless of the damage of each individual beam, you wouldn't be able to one-shot at long range if only half of the amount of them were connecting compared to how they work right now. It would also have no effect on the fusion rifles that don't have that range to begin with, because you're not hitting people from that far out even with the current spread.

Well, plan C is an exotic, there really isn't anything like it. It needs the same functional range nerf as every other fusion, because powerful as it should be to justify the slot, you can pretty much snipe people with it in its current form.

Funny thing is Pocket Infinity is the considerably better of the two, it's just harder to use. Plan C is the Suros Regime of FRs- not that they needed one, lol

I think this problem with crazy range FRs has gotten less recently (well at least from my perspective). A game can get pretty rage inducing if you go up against a skilled Pocket Infinity user. That shit kills you faster and more accurately than an AR

When I get on a FR spree it feels like enable.godmode 1

No other weapon comes close to feeling as game breaking for me.

Got on a 10 kill streak on the A heavy ammo point on Twilight Gap yesterday. It was glorious. Nothing could touch me. Shoulder charges were gettings stopped short and supers were avoided like a boss. It's great when you're on a roll

Zakalwe

Banned
If you miss the initial FR shot against a good player it leaves you pretty vulnerable, so I don't really have a problem with FR users. Also FR is great in a 1vs1 situation, not so good when people are trying to gang up on you. I recently made a new character to get some of those radiant shards and I was amazed at how easy it was to kill high level players with a shotgun and go on killing sprees. It is very annoying to be on the receiving end of that.

I don't see many Plan C users in the Crucible for some reason, that gun is just OP and gives you easy kills. People seem to use shotguns over FRs most of the times.

With Hip Fire, the inherent stupid amount of auto aim, you'll only miss if your mind is elsewhere.

It's dumb, and I love it.

I think if we had proper ranked matchmaking we'd start seeing a /lot/ more FR users, especially Plan C.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What do you use?

I got a Perun's Fire with Hip Fire, Coils, Grenadier and I almost feel bad...

Almost.
I've gone on tears like that with my Perun's Fire, ees nutso.

Since everything is down at the moment this may be the best time to ask; is Monte Carlo a good mid range/close range weapon? I normally use pulse rifles in PvE and Fusion rifles in PvP, but I got this to drop in the Crucible and now I am thinking about using it. My only issue is if there are other exotics or legendaries that do the job better, and I am wasting my upgrade materials...
Hmmm.

There are DEFINITELY exotics and legendaries that do the job you're implying you want to use it for better. I.E., there are better Auto Rifles for Auto Rifle purposes. Lots.

Monte Carlo is interesting and pretty solid after the last patch, and a fun Exotic to use, but to have a really viable use of it in mind, you need to build around the unique effect- frequently resetting your Melee cooldown. If that's not of any interest to you, you'll wanna look elsewhere.

So I played Rumble this past weekend with my new 4th Horseman. I haven't leveled it far at all, but blinking behind people and letting the shells fly is really fun. I still suck at crucible, but I at least found a way to amuse myself by being a jerk to all the crouching fusion rifle twits.

Anyone else enjoying that gun?

I agree to a point. An expert Plan C user on a smaller map is a nightmare, even on larger maps they're annoying

I don't think you need to be much of an expert to use that thing. It was the second exotic I ever got and I got it when the original loot cave was around. I never played mich crucible and I decided to take that thing into PVP and just destroyed everyone with it. It's basically a long range shotgun. You just point and shoot. Charge rate is so fast most people don't have time to react to it

Edit** and im sure a skilled player might not have issues with any of these weapons and probably finds a way to counter it but most people are not that skilled and for the common player the crucible is full of these one hit kill weapons that make the PVP not very fun

You have your average weapons which feels like takes forever to kill someone and then you have all these one hit kill weapons (including supers). It's just two extremes really. Not very balanced

Zakalwe

Banned
Oh god, yeah. I can deal with most FR users by moving around more and keeping my distance, but shotguns, fuck that shit. The range i get killed at is pretty unbelievebe at times. The only thing that makes me rage more than shotguns is the Fist of Havoc. Ugh fucking bullshit super (yes it has a lot of drawbacks but I hate it so much in PvP)

We have to do this together soon.

I will end you.

Think you can say that sentence faster then my Perun's charges?

All this FR talk is funny to me. I was an early adopter of the FR after discovering that a quick charge rate and hip fire was instant death but I've since changed my playstyle to mid-long range area denial rather than run and gun aggression.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't think you need to be much of an expert to use that thing. It was the second exotic I ever got and I got it when the original loot cave was around. I never played mich crucible and I decided to take that thing into PVP and just destroyed everyone with it. It's basically a long range shotgun. You just point and shoot. Charge rate is so fast most people don't have time to react to it

That's kind of the point. It's /so/ good that an expert with it is horrible.

87431.gif

So I played Rumble this past weekend with my new 4th Horseman. I haven't leveled it far at all, but blinking behind people and letting the shells fly is really fun. I still suck at crucible, but I at least found a way to amuse myself by being a jerk to all the crouching fusion rifle twits.

I have yet to come across that gun. I don't even know what it looks like or anything about it.

Zakalwe

Banned
All this FR talk is funny to me. I was an early adopter of the FR after discovering that a quick charge rate and hip fire was instant death but I've since changed my playstyle to mid-long range area denial rather than run and gun aggression.

We're not just this minute realising.

This has been known for a while. It just comes up a lot because it's true.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten any of the new exotic weapons but I've seen it and it looks pretty cool. I like how no land beyond looks as well

Just realized I need to glitter farm before xur comes. Haven't been able to get on at all today. Hopefully someone will have a normal gatekeeper checkpoint to share before he leaves. Really hoping he lets me upgrade hawkmoon, since I got it 2 weeks before the DLC and still haven't used it.

todd360

I'm planning to get up about 2 hours before reset to do today's bounties. Hopefully shit will be running then.

That is like 2 am est right? Dayum breh. Count me in. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though. Stupid psn. *kicks random pebble* Yeah, yeah F you in particular pebble.

Edit: I'm getting sick of this avatar. It reminds me of my terrible luck everytime I look at it. I already said I wouldn't change it until I acquire a Praxic Fire though. I'm a Guardian of my word if nothing else.

Namikaze1

That is like 2 am est right? Dayum breh. Count me in. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though. Stupid psn. *kicks random pebble* Yeah, yeah F you in particular pebble.

Edit: I'm getting sick of this avatar. It reminds me of my terrible luck everytime I look at it. I already said I wouldn't change it until I acquire a Praxic Fire though. I'm a Guardian of my word if nothing else.
Yeah, 2 am. I'll probably stay up till then watching movies. Gonna watch The Interview in half an hour once Prisoners is over.

We're not just this minute realising.

This has been known for a while. It just comes up a lot because it's true.

I'm not saying that it's only just being discovered but that it's more recently being utilized heavily. When I say early adopter, I'm talking like week 1 or 2 of the game release, using a fast charge rate rare FR while leveling my character but even clarifying that my intent wasn't "I was using FR before it was cool" as much as it's "despite how good they are, I've found that my playstyle has changed." Though I'm typically a mid to long range guy in fps games anyways. Electing to go with AR's and Sniper rifles to control lanes of a map (in the few games that still provide decent sniping lanes anyways).

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm not saying that it's only just being discovered but that it's more recently being utilized heavily. When I say early adopter, I'm talking like week 1 or 2 of the game release, using a fast charge rate rare FR while leveling my character but even clarifying that my intent wasn't "I was using FR before it was cool" as much as it's "despite how good they are, I've found that my playstyle has changed." Though I'm typically a mid to long range guy in fps games anyways. Electing to go with AR's and Sniper rifles to control lanes of a map (in the few games that still provide decent sniping lanes anyways).

Oh, then right. I get you.

I switch it up too, but there are more maps in favour of FR that are actually fun to play than there are that allow longer range weapons to truly shine, so I don't switch it up for long.

I wish this game had its own Blood Gulch...

Been using them since the beta absolutely.

Plus I have a maxed No Land Beyond.

Try and out hipster me...

I concede

*bows down*

I switch it up too, but there are more maps in favour of FR that are actually fun to play than there are that allow longer range weapons to truly shine, so I don't switch it up for long.

Ah reminds me of Red vs Blue. Such a great series....

It seems like most console FPS have catered map design to tighter corridors where Close Quarters weapons are king unfortunately. I don't mind that but I wish there was more balance. It's actually one of the things I like about the new hybrid vehicle map (though having no point out there in the "vehicle" area kills it really). Just give me one or two decent enough sniping lanes in a map where I can battle it out with other snipers to control that lane of traffic for my team and I'm happy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes Plan C is an exotic and there isn't anything like it but does that even matter? I brought up Xur earlier cause him selling the weapon, especially two weeks in a row means that the game is now flooded with plan C's. This is my main problem with Xur. These weapons are not meant to be so common. And yes it takes up the exotic slot but there are a few exotics out there that are more effective than plan C in PVP so you're not really sacrificing much by using up that slot with it.
yeah, I mean, it's cool, I just pretty much disagree with all of this. I'm not sure what you mean by the bold, though. I don't think the existence of a purportedly OP weapon is made more palatable by the idea that only a few people will get it. In fact, it would upset me considerably more if when I came up against Plan C I wouldn't even have the option of ever trying it for myself if I wanted to.

xur has sold me weapons I would never stand a chance of getting by luck in other games. xur sold me gjallarhorn. I love xur. ya'll can bitch about him tomorrow as much as you want, I'm just saying.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Oh shit, with all this X-mas cheer I completely forgot that Xur is visiting tonight!

my first 17 strange coins, brings a tear to the eye
Haha yup - first weapon I bought, although I did get the Sunbreakers the week before :)

Funny thing was, I got the Ballerhorn again 3 days later when the Raid first opened up :)

Top Bottom