• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

Steroyd

So many bubbles unlocked on my Horn... No glimmer to upgrade them with. :(

Edit: thanks for the replies! :) guess ima have to look for a gatekeeper CP

Gatekeeper.

You get a tonne of Axiom beads when going from 0 glimmer to max, if you vault them it lets you exceed the glimmer cap if needed.

No Christmas gift?

:(

Wow going to be an expensive week. Gjallarhord upgrade, last word upgrade, no land beyond, Suros upgrade, Thunderlord upgrade.

Wow..the horn and the hawk upgrades available. Wish I had the hawk, but definitely jumped on upgrading the horn.

No Land Beyond - had to for the lulz.

Thunderlord, yup will jump on that later today.

Saint 14 helm has two int more than last week. Meh.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Looks like I'll play Evil Within unless they fix this crap. Haven't been able to get on since last night.

Was hoping for some Hunter gauntlets or even exotic gauntlet engram but Xur has absolutely nothing I want or need this week. I'll just upgrade inmost light and my regular horn.

Carn82

You know you're hooked on the game when you check what Xur is selling the first thing after you wake up. While in Paris with your girlfriend -_-

So bungie basically said fuck the players and did nothing special for chrstmas. The same fucking items, the same fucking upgrades. That's 3 weeks in a row I don't buy anything. It's not even like I need one specific item. I need a lot. Bungie just likes to fuck with us and offer the same shit every week.

nowai

So many bubbles unlocked on my Horn... No glimmer to upgrade them with. :(

Gatekeeper.

You get a tonne of Axiom beads when going from 0 glimmer to max, if you vault them it lets you exceed the glimmer cap if needed.

This is exactly what I do. I bank all if my house banners, network keys, silken whatevers and axiom beads just in case I don't have time to farm for Xur days.

Bungie IS stepping in. It is confirmed by Deej that Bungie chooses the selection he offers. That's what is so ridiculous about it.

Where? I have a hard time believing they would choose what they have. Sunbreakers were on sale for three straight weeks. Heart of Praxxic Fire hasn't been sold yet. If Bungie really does control what he sells, they are seriously playing mind games with their audience and that is deplorable.

I don't get all the people whining about Xur not selling Gjallarhorn... to me, the whole idea of being able to buy exotics is plain stupid. This is a loot game, being able to buy the best loot kinda makes the game pointless.

(and no, I don't have gjallarhorn)

That's an unpopular opinion around here but I feel exactly the same way.

Selling exotics is stupid, sure. But then again so are random loot drops.

I've done raids over 40 times now on both normal and hard and I've done Nightfalls every week but I haven't seen one Ghorn. Yet random guy x goes 0.3 K/D in crucible and gets one. Surely you can see why people are irritated.

But that's what loot games are. You might get one or you might never get one but you keep playing hoping that one day you will get it and if you do get it it will be an infinite times more enjoyable than buying it from Xur.

Two things I really dislike about Destiny are Xur and loot dropping once a week per raid/nightfall. I don't think RNG is the problem. The problem is doing your nightfall on Tuesday, getting shitty loot, and knowing you have to wait an entire week to get another shot at it. It's just dumb

Rixa

What a shitty week for Warlocks.
Claws AGAIN? Found them before they were available.
HoPF upgrade AGAIN? Upgraded it last week.
Sunbreakers upgrade AGAIN? Upgraded them the first time they were available.
And last but also least, the worst exotic of the game. Might as well revert the Bad Juju buffs and sell that instead.

I hope everyone at Bungie got coal for christmas like we did today...

^^ Yeah, nothing from Xur for me :(. One friend got Hawkmoon from HM VoG few days ago so he is going to be happy.

But as being Sunbro this sucks
3 Chars which 2 are Sunbros.

Where? I have a hard time believing they would choose what they have. Sunbreakers were on sale for three straight weeks. Heart of Praxxic Fire hasn't been sold yet. If Bungie really does control what he sells, they are seriously playing mind games with their audience and that is deplorable.

Like others have pointed out, it's most likely to prevent some exotics from being sold to keep them relatively "rare". We see so many repeats because there honestly isn't that much loot in the game. Kinda sucks :/

Edit:
They most likely aren't picking the exotics every week (although I think they certainly have the ability to do that). More likely that they're able to manipulate his loot table to remove or add exotics to make them more common or rare.

Jinjo

It was some reddit QA thing a bit after release, I think. Don't have an exact link unfortunately.

I should not have completely signed out of psn in hopes of getting it to work.... :(

I don't get all the people whining about Xur not selling Gjallarhorn... to me, the whole idea of being able to buy exotics is plain stupid. This is a loot game, being able to buy the best loot kinda makes the game pointless.

(and no, I don't have gjallarhorn)

It's probably a design decision to appeal to the casuals. Exotics have a mystique to them despite many of them being outclassed by Legendaries. However, the RNG nature of their availability to purchase essentially turns them into random drops, but allows the player some discretion on whether they want it (assuming activity completion for necessary currency is done). It's analytically the same as RNG drops. Heroic Weekly strike rewards are like time-shifted Nightfall rewards but slightly better return.

Ambitious

DeeJ_Bungie said:
39 Strange Coins burning a hole in my pocket.

I'll be having a long talk with Xur's boss when I get back in action. Wish me luck.

Sorry, Warlocks. I don't think they celebrate Christmas where that snake-faced bastard originates.

Reddit

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Doing weekly 30 solo, Sekiron @30% health, want coins or finish the weekly/sekiron bounty, join

2 spots open

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
iRawr you still have gorgon checkpoint? Would like all 3 chars to grab chest

Also seki is @3% for Weekly Heroic 30, join, I'll wait a few minutes, first 2 join net themselves coins if you haven't done it

i need the bounty. ID?

GraveRobberX

Jinjo

How is everyone getting on PSN? Did you just hammer the psn login? It's just not working for me. Europe here.

Yay! Good week for me ill buy the sniper because why not, i dont need coins. My hawkmoon and gjallarhorn will be upgraded :) cant wait to get working on these again...

Like others have pointed out, it's most likely to prevent some exotics from being sold to keep them relatively "rare". We see so many repeats because there honestly isn't that much loot in the game. Kinda sucks :/

Edit:
They most likely aren't picking the exotics every week (although I think they certainly have the ability to do that). More likely that they're able to manipulate his loot table to remove or add exotics to make them more common or rare.

I get the idea, but they sold The best weapon in the game the very first week. I even understand why they would do that. Because then the people who were lucky enough to get enough coins by then, which was not easy (I played way more than I should have then), and evangelize the weapon. I just find the idea messed up. But I get it, it's the best weapon in the game.

My bigger issue the heart of Praxxic fire. Why make armor harder to get? Why not sell it once? Once? It just really bothers me. Ugh, I'm too tired to make a coherent argument, I just want to vent my frustration.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-25-games-of-2014-destiny
Tom Bramwell's GotY article on Destiny and it echoes my own sentiments almost perfectly. I enjoyed Destiny for what it was, regretted that it was not more but enjoyed the mechanical act of shooting enough to paper over the cracks. TDB though just exposed too much of the 'fuck you and grind' mentality at Bungie. Resetting exotics just pisses me off too much. I'd have lived with the ~200,000xp if it had been a new last column but losing all that flexibility and fun that the unique perks bring is too much. I won't even address the (lack of) new content as that horse is hamburger it's been so flogged by now but holy hell Bungie smh.

I get the idea, but they sold The best weapon in the game the very first week. I even understand why they would do that. Because then the people who were lucky enough to get enough coins by then, which was not easy (I played way more than I should have then), and evangelize the weapon. I just find the idea messed up. But I get it, it's the best weapon in the game.

My bigger issue the heart of Praxxic fire. Why make armor harder to get? Why not sell it once? Once? It just really bothers me. Ugh, I'm too tired to make a coherent argument, I just want to vent my frustration.

Yeah I feel ya. Been shafted for weeks on my titan with Uglymentarium and Voidfangs/Sunbreakers on my warlock. My hunter just gets all of her gear from engrams on my other tow mains. I've been trying to get HoPF and Starfire Protocol to drop
but all I get are these friggin gjallerhorns and ice readers lol

Edit: still trying to login to PSN website to make sure I have the right email and password, but no luck. Keeps saying it is down for scheduled maintenance.

Gatekeeper.

I have 32,000 glimmer worth of beads in my vault, just from GK farming last week. Sogood.gif.

Oh how I wish the helm blinded Crota and Atheon, that would be the funniest thing ever :-D

Yeah, that would be amazing. I love the animation the enemies make when they are blinded and start staggering around like idiots with the debuff mark over their heads.

Hzoltan69

Selling exotics is stupid, sure. But then again so are random loot drops.

I've done raids over 40 times now on both normal and hard and I've done Nightfalls every week but I haven't seen one Ghorn. Yet random guy x goes 0.3 K/D in crucible and gets one. Surely you can see why people are irritated.

Dunno. It never irritates me if others have better luck. I'm also very (very) unlucky with drops, but since I don't feel that any weapon is indispensable for enjoyment of the game, I don't really care.

Actually I never (!) dismantle an exotic or legendary weapon before fully leveling it, so across three characters I am always running around with different weapons and it has really made me appreciate the diversity. Sure, most of them are not very efficient, but they are fun anyway.

Gjarrahorn is a great gun, but very situational. Would I trade my Fatebringer (or Icebreaker) for it? Not a chance!

Top Bottom