• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

Steroyd

1298/4000 on Eris reputation. That's the only thing between me and level 32 :/
I expect to hit level 4 in 7 days, doing the reset bounties which I failed to do today. lol

I'm jelly, I'm only 3/4 of the way to level 3, I should hit level 3 by Christmas eve lol.

realcZk

eris takes way too long to level and her bounties are terrible
youd think wed even get some new vanguard bounties by now
and as for crucible, no one cares about that

R0ckman

Yeah, a lot of seems to be cut out, but I thought you were referring to something else. Either way, at least they have raids which appeals to the core audience.

I was referring to the fact that you had people who were in raids that were not aware of certain elements of the game, not prepared even on a minimal level. Refusing to switch weapons, only having one weapon of a certain type etc.

Qwell

When Bungie nerfed the Vex they said they didn't want the game to be based around acquiring certain weapons to succeed or for them to become a requirement to do certain content. Gjallahorn has obviously become just that. Whenever you're doing something difficult like Crota's End for the first time everyone was asking "Well how many Gjallahorns do you have in your group?" That's not the way it should be and Bungie's idea of not wanting the game to be based around certain weapons makes perfect since. They have not practiced those words however. Just like many other things that they've said.

More and more of my friends are migrating away from Destiny and it's sad. Bungie has built a really fun game and a cool universe, but completely botched so many things. They clearly are not big enough to handle a game of this size and have made so many short sighted decisions. While Bungie and Activision have made bucket loads of cash from Destiny, and most of us will probably be there for Destiny 2, it's sad to see just how short they've come up of fulfilling the vision we all had.
I think Gjallahorn gets asked for in CE so much because it makes for great timing on the 2nd down phase of Crota. But now that I think about it, I suppose its not like a requirement ... its more that rockets in general are the requirement. First down of a Crota should be steady primary damage while the sword gets in place ... when he gets back up for the 2nd down per sword it should be rockets. Gjallarhorn just makes it easy because a single person can down Crota because you can launch 2x Gjallarhorns back to back, but really as long as multiple people are shooting rockets at the same time, regardless if they are truth, gjallar, or vanguard bought etc, you just need that high burst dps.

But yes I admit, a lot of people do ask, and I have seen plenty of LFG that require the horn, but at least I haven't been a part of that first hand, I would have been excluded a ton since I had just gotten ghorn a week before the expansion.

Sullichin

Re-rolled a second Efticeet's Spear.. Arc, Unflinching, Field Scout, Outlaw. Nice. No ambush lens but I'll take Tacsys or Hawkeye.

Pickman

Hey guys, just a heads up if you didn't know:

You can connect your tablet or smartphone to your PS4 via the local network and use it as a keyboard while you're playing via the PS app. This makes adding folks from DestinyLFG way easier, as well as searching friends or any other function where you'd need the keyboard.

Here's the instructions for setting it up.

Deku Tree

I think Gjallahorn gets asked for in CE so much because it makes for great timing on the 2nd down phase of Crota. But now that I think about it, I suppose its not like a requirement ... its more that rockets in general are the requirement. First down of a Crota should be steady primary damage while the sword gets in place ... when he gets back up for the 2nd down per sword it should be rockets. Gjallarhorn just makes it easy because a single person can down Crota because you can launch 2x Gjallarhorns back to back, but really as long as multiple people are shooting rockets at the same time, regardless if they are truth, gjallar, or vanguard bought etc, you just need that high burst dps.

But yes I admit, a lot of people do ask, and I have seen plenty of LFG that require the horn, but at least I haven't been a part of that first hand, I would have been excluded a ton since I had just gotten ghorn a week before the expansion.

Tracking also helps a lot in case people miss with the Rockets or Crota moves... which I think restricts you to GHorn, Truth, and Hunger of Crota.

Bizazedo

Having perfect balance does not equate to fun. There needs to be weapons that are a little OP to entice people to play. Who really wants to play with everything being balanced? We always seek the most powerful and unique weapons. Hopefully Bungie realizes that. Also, the Hunger of Crota is a great substitute for Ghorn.

The Gjallahorn is not a "little" OP. It's very OP. Hunger of Crota is not the first RL that has had tracking and cluster / mirvs and not be the Horn.

The Wolfpack rounds do so much damage.

I've asked it before, but I'll point it out again...what kind of rocket launcher would it take to replace the Horn?

Yeah.

But yeah, they're not going to nerf it anyways :).

More and more of my friends are migrating away from Destiny and it's sad. Bungie has built a really fun game and a cool universe, but completely botched so many things. They clearly are not big enough to handle a game of this size and have made so many short sighted decisions. While Bungie and Activision have made bucket loads of cash from Destiny, and most of us will probably be there for Destiny 2, it's sad to see just how short they've come up of fulfilling the vision we all had.

Remember when they said they wanted Destiny to be as recognizable as Star Wars? lol that gets me every time.

Coconut

Banned
Tracking also helps a lot in case people miss with the Rockets or Crota moves... which I think restricts you to GHorn, Truth, and Hunger of Crota.

I've found the ice breaker useful since you won't run out of ammo and you can easily dust boomers to the right and to left of crota, but at least one person needs to be using a ghorn for an easy go.

Manp

I have this TERRIBLE feeling that the Black Hammer and Fatebringer are two weapons that I will not ever get. Sends shivers down my spine.

i don't think Black Hammer is that good. it got nothing on Icebreaker.

Fatebringer on the other hand... i'll never get it :( why can't they patch that smart loot drop system to VoG so i don't keep getting fucking Found Verdict every fucking time :(

Bizazedo

Remember when they said they wanted Destiny to be as recognizable as Star Wars? lol that gets me every time.
My favorite part, looking back, was in the Vidoc where the one guy goes....

"How can it be bigger than Halo?"

...long beat....

"We'll find out, won't we?"

behold the ghettohorn:

hunter of crota shot + two fusion grenades

If a rocket launcher did both of those, that'd be hilarious.

Steroyd

The Gjallahorn is not a "little" OP. It's very OP. Hunger of Crota is not the first RL that has had tracking and cluster / mirvs and not be the Horn.

I've asked it before, but I'll point it out again...what kind of rocket launcher would it take to replace the Horn?

Yeah.

I use truth in PvP.

Yeah that's all I've got.

I've found the ice breaker useful since you won't run out of ammo and you can easily dust boomers to the right and to left of crota, but at least one person needs to be using a ghorn for an easy go.

Not at all; I've cleared Crota in groups without a single Ghorn. All it takes is proper communication within the group and constant DPS.

Sullichin

Yeah.

It's infuriating. I feel like my exotic RLs and LMGs are pointless because I still don't have it yet. It shouldn't be the end-all, objectively best heavy weapon always :/

I've never received that many exotics at all from loot drops.

Having perfect balance does not equate to fun. There needs to be weapons that are a little OP to entice people to play. Who really wants to play with everything being balanced? We always seek the most powerful and unique weapons. Hopefully Bungie realizes that. Also, the Hunger of Crota is a great substitute for Ghorn.

Having powerful exotics is important I think. But that said, having a certain weapon cannot and should not be such an important part of the game. Whether it's design or the way the community perceives it.

BreakJohn

Yeah.

i feel like the best thing bungie can do is bring up the other exotics to gjallarhorn power.
they definitely took a step in the right direction with the last exotic update which made the thorn amazing i feel like they need to do the same to many other weapons as well.

E92 M3

I was referring to the fact that you had people who were in raids that were not aware of certain elements of the game, not prepared even on a minimal level. Refusing to switch weapons, only having one weapon of a certain type etc.

Yeah, it was frustrating. Though, I do prefer the Dark Souls method of teaching people about the game lol.

Yeah.

It's still limited by supply and heavy ammo. I am guessing that's Bungie's way of nerfing it.

Fatebringer on the other hand... i'll never get it :( why can't they patch that smart loot drop system to VoG so i don't keep getting fucking Found Verdict every fucking time :(

Yeah, Icebreaker is a great weapon, but the Black Hammer is legendary and looks cool as fuck.

WipedOut

I disagree and agree about the black hammer

On Sepiks Prime - I can do about 25 shots in a row without reloading - Similar with Archon Priest, Have not tried it on Nexus yet.

Outside of bosses I have not found a good use for it.

BreakJohn

Has anyone shot an upgraded Dragon's Breathe at Crota?

Do we know if Crota stays there to take the cheesenade's damage or does he back up ala Atheon?

he backs away unless he is being bombarded with other weapons as well, which kinda stagger locks him in the solar flare. still my dragons breath solar flare deals less damage per tick than my ghorn does per wolf pack. not to mention my dragons breath is 331.. whereas my horn is 300.

Bizazedo

i feel like the best thing bungie can do is bring up the other exotics to gjallarhorn power.
they definitely took a step in the right direction with the last exotic update which made the thorn amazing i feel like they need to do the same to many other weapons as well.

What they need to do, they can't or are seemingly unwilling to do, and that's let old Exotics fade away and have new weapons and armor that are required for higher levels. That'd remove the need for nerfing the Gjallahorn but, eventually, we'd have to move on.

It feels like they don't have enough people on the game, though, given the few new exotics or how good they are versus the old ones + the seeming necessity of allowing us to upgrade old ones.

Coconut

Banned
Not at all; I've cleared Crota in groups without a single Ghorn. All it takes is proper communication within the group and constant DPS.

Read the for an easy go part again. Fully upgraded ghorn takes away half of his shield in one blast. Again it just makes it easier.

Zakalwe

Banned
With the final result, I can't believe anyone at Bungie actually believed that. So much hubris.

It had the potential to get there. Great art style, memorable designs, extremely talented voice actors, Bungie gameplay... they just didn't put the right effort in, or enough effort in, or something.

They had the parts, they just didn't build it right. It's one of the biggest shames in gaming ever, especially when despite all of the flaws it's still so damn playable.

It's still limited by supply and heavy ammo. I am guessing that's Bungie's way of nerfing it.

Eh, every great weapon needs some type of drawback, but Gjallarhorn is not nearly restricted. A "reasonable" nerf would be to limit it to 1 round and have to reload every time.

realcZk

What they need to do, they can't or are seemingly unwilling to do, and that's let old Exotics fade away and have new weapons and armor that are required for higher levels. That'd remove the need for nerfing the Gjallahorn but, eventually, we'd have to move on.

It feels like they don't have enough people on the game, though, given the few new exotics or how good they are versus the old ones + the seeming necessity of allowing us to upgrade old ones.

whoever is in charge of exotic tuning isn't doing a great job... look at no land beyond for example... and the exotics before that which required massive tweaking to become viable. i forsee yet another exotic weapons balance patch coming. the raid weapons are well designed. sometimes it feels like whoever designs the exotics doesn't even play the game.

Read the for an easy go part again. Fully upgraded ghorn takes away half of his shield in one blast. Again it just makes it easier.

No; I read the "easy" part and I still disagree. As much as I want the Ghorn it isn't the end all weapon for boss fights. A quality (read vendor) tracking rocket launcher is just as effective.

We have a full group

1. Dhruv
2. Grimlock33
3. Hzoltan69
4.Silver
5.Kerash
6.Daraman

OMG ridiculous how easy it is to take down Crota when you got the likes of Dhruv's sword wielding samurai skills on your fire team. Thanks so much everyone. Of anyone needs to clear Crota still hook up with these guys that about to go back for seconds.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
hrb28RQ.jpg

Manp

Yeah, Icebreaker is a great weapon, but the Black Hammer is legendary and looks cool as fuck.

ewww man... it looks like every other sniper rifle with some shit glued on. which can be said for pretty much every CE raid weapons (worst offender still being the ship which is basically Aspect of Glass lol)

I disagree and agree about the black hammer

On Sepiks Prime - I can do about 25 shots in a row without reloading - Similar with Archon Priest, Have not tried it on Nexus yet.

Outside of bosses I have not found a good use for it.

that's exactly the problem. IB is the better weapon, BH is still good, don't get me wrong, but being a legendary you might expect it to have some shortcomings.

BreakJohn

i don't believe they need to make old weapons irrelevant. nerfing and buffing is an important part of weapon balance and if done right can keep the game from becoming stale. i remember the most fun i had playing ME3 multiplayer was waiting for those weekly updates on tuesdays and testing out the freshly buffed weapons. the tier list in that game changed dramatically over the course of its balancing life, sure they added new weapons each time a new dlc dropped but the old never became irrelevant.

as for destiny i do agree that the gjallarhorn could do with a small nerf, maybe they can reduce the number of wolf pack rounds by a small amount(maybe like 2 less) the nerf isn't the end of the world and most people would accept it. couple that with a buff to the other two rockets and suddenly there is a little more parity among the rockets and if another does take the horns place as most OP it won't be by much. this can be applied to all exotics.

Top Bottom