• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

E92 M3

The current (well, for US subscribers) issue of Edge features a column that points out something in Destiny I now realize I got acclimated to very quickly: the community is pretty great.

The column is about how awful online interactions can be - rage quitting, rage mail, trolling, etc. Then he turns to Destiny:

And then there was Destiny. I rolled my eyes when a Bungie dev at a preview event described how I'd be struggling against a tough foe and would be saved by other players coming over the hill with rocket launchers. I thought it more likely they'd hang back, wait for me to die, then stroll in to mop up and take the spoils for themselves. Imagine my surprise, then, that this has the friendliest online playerbase a big console game has had in years.

In Destiny, I chat cordially with players I've never met. I am revived in boss fights by players many levels higher than me whose time I am clearly wasting. A few nights ago, out patrolling the moon, I saw another player running along a high ledge towards a loot chest. Destiny's chests spawn randomly, and disappear a few seconds after the first opened, though they dish out loot to all-comers in that period. This unknown Guardian saw me, waved, opined back down the way to show how he got up onto the ledge, then waited for me to join him before he opened the chest. I was stunned. Even PvP seems to be fine, perhaps because you can't really complain about anything in such a deliciously broken multiplayer mode. Ragemail, headset abuse, griefing: all have become accepted standards in online games, and particularly in online shooters. In Destiny, the first major online game of the generation, there's none o fit.​

This has been my experience as well. The game is remarkably devoid of jerks. The worst I've seen are people dashing through strikes faster than I'd like, but that's pretty low on the griefing scale. Reviving, and getting revived, by randoms is a good feeling, and happens often. Celebrations after public events are cathartic.

I had a moment this morning (I finally got on, woo!) similar to what the article described. I was in the Cosmodrome and saw a chest up on a ledge. My hunter leaped up to it easily, but right before I opened it I saw a level 2 player jumping up and down at the foot of the ledge. He couldn't clear it yet. I thought perhaps he was a new player, who got the game for Christmas, and could only just get online today. This might be his first play session.

I hopped down, ran up the stairs to the right, and walked along the narrow ledge to the chest. I turned to see he'd followed, and opened it. I then grabbed my share. Felt great, and I hope it was a good greeting to the Destiny player base for them.

Back in the Halo days the OT's were often filled with pics and recordings of rage mail, but I only just now realized, that's not the case with Destiny threads. It's really nice to see a much more helpful, friendly atmosphere in the game. I think that has a lot to do with why I enjoy Destiny - I just didn't fully realize it.

That is a good point actually. The push for PVE in Destiny has created a friendlier player base than normal.

On the opposite: Why are all of the Christmas noobs always put on my team in PVP :(

The current (well, for US subscribers) issue of Edge features a column that points out something in Destiny I now realize I got acclimated to very quickly: the community is pretty great.

The column is about how awful online interactions can be - rage quitting, rage mail, trolling, etc. Then he turns to Destiny:

And then there was Destiny. I rolled my eyes when a Bungie dev at a preview event described how I'd be struggling against a tough foe and would be saved by other players coming over the hill with rocket launchers. I thought it more likely they'd hang back, wait for me to die, then stroll in to mop up and take the spoils for themselves. Imagine my surprise, then, that this has the friendliest online playerbase a big console game has had in years.

In Destiny, I chat cordially with players I've never met. I am revived in boss fights by players many levels higher than me whose time I am clearly wasting. A few nights ago, out patrolling the moon, I saw another player running along a high ledge towards a loot chest. Destiny's chests spawn randomly, and disappear a few seconds after the first opened, though they dish out loot to all-comers in that period. This unknown Guardian saw me, waved, opined back down the way to show how he got up onto the ledge, then waited for me to join him before he opened the chest. I was stunned. Even PvP seems to be fine, perhaps because you can't really complain about anything in such a deliciously broken multiplayer mode. Ragemail, headset abuse, griefing: all have become accepted standards in online games, and particularly in online shooters. In Destiny, the first major online game of the generation, there's none o fit.​

This has been my experience as well. The game is remarkably devoid of jerks. The worst I've seen are people dashing through strikes faster than I'd like, but that's pretty low on the griefing scale. Reviving, and getting revived, by randoms is a good feeling, and happens often. Celebrations after public events are cathartic.

I had a moment this morning (I finally got on, woo!) similar to what the article described. I was in the Cosmodrome and saw a chest up on a ledge. My hunter leaped up to it easily, but right before I opened it I saw a level 2 player jumping up and down at the foot of the ledge. He couldn't clear it yet. I thought perhaps he was a new player, who got the game for Christmas, and could only just get online today. This might be his first play session.

I hopped down, ran up the stairs to the right, and walked along the narrow ledge to the chest. I turned to see he'd followed, and opened it. I then grabbed my share. Felt great, and I hope it was a good greeting to the Destiny player base for them.

Back in the Halo days the OT's were often filled with pics and recordings of rage mail, but I only just now realized, that's not the case with Destiny threads. It's really nice to see a much more helpful, friendly atmosphere in the game. I think that has a lot to do with why I enjoy Destiny - I just didn't fully realize it.

I credit Bungie for the revive and personal loot system for it. It makes me wonder if, perhaps, there was some inspiration from Arena Net's approach to GW2 (XP isn't leeched by other players killing the same mobs, everyone can revive, loot is personal rather than shared) or if Bungie's guys just happened upon the same systems. In both Destiny and GW2 people tend to help you out because doing so doesn't actively detract from their experience like it does in most games.

Though I will say there are still hate messages sent after Crucible matches but I posit that it's less prevalent because it takes just that much more effort to send a message than it does to just spew hate into an open mic in a lobby.

E92 M3

Congrats man!

Fatebringer only drops on HM at the Templar battle.

It only drops on Hard!

Fatebringer only drops on hard mode Templar.

It's hard mode only. I got two last time I ran VoG so hang tight. It's still my favorite gun in the game. True shame it doesn't go up to 331, it's be perfect.

Sorry for not being clear, guys, but I was referring to the fact that the normal loot table is always being chosen every time I kill him. I am thinking maybe doing normal first and then hard to increase my chances. I have been getting found verdicts or boots nonstop.

Deku Tree

I love that strike. Just not the boss fight - it's too cramped.

Completely agree. The community is a huge part of why I keep playing. I don't play much Crucible but I do hear infrequently about some superstar players getting hate PSN messages around here. the PvE community that I play with is fantastic. Bungie development choices sure helps make it that way.

Sorry for not being clear, guys, but I was referring to the fact that the normal loot table is always being chosen every time I kill him. I am thinking maybe doing normal first and then hard to increase my chances. I have been getting found verdicts or boots nonstop.

Should I do normal and then hard for Atheon when trying to get the Vex?

Then the rolls are hard only? I don't fucking know. I shouldn't have to think so hard for this shit. Fuck

ocean

Banned
I think the Hars loot table includes all the Normal gear as well. I doubt there's a way to force a Hard-exclusive drop table.

Since running Hard from the start gets you two rolls at a Hard drop. By running Normal and then Hard you just get one roll.

Totally agree. I also find that the community saying this game seems to be older. I can't recall ever playing with anyone younger than that is younger than college age, I'd even say most of the people that I play with are much older than that. Everyone is respectful, communicative and helpful towards others.

E92 M3

Should I do normal and then hard for Atheon when trying to get the Vex?

Then the rolls are hard only? I don't fucking know. I shouldn't have to think so hard for this shit. Fuck

I got my Vex when normal was already completed. It's worth a shot at this point.

I think the Hars loot table includes all the Normal gear as well. I doubt there's a way to force a Hard-exclusive drop table.

Since running Hard from the start gets you two rolls at a Hard drop. By running Normal and then Hard you just get one roll.

I know you can't force it, but simply from a bias perspective, the hard loot table has a higher chance of popping up with normal completed. That is my guess. Been thinking that for a while, but it's really hard to find a normal raid on VOG where people know what they're doing (lfg).

hydruxo

I love that strike. Just not the boss fight - it's too cramped.

I think this is the most overlooked thing about Destiny. It's pretty crazy how much that mirrors my experience with the game, and I also used to try and get other players attention during patrols when I found a chest back when everyone still farmed for mats.

I've done countless strikes from the playlists and I am always revived within seconds by random players if I go down. In fact most of the time they'll stop shooting whatever they're shooting, and come across the map to revive me. For as much negative attention as Destiny gets, the community is pretty incredible and it's a big reason why I still play it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I agree with that article.I can't stand most online games, even fighting games where I excel at and is a huge part of, but Destiny has been the best online multiplayer experience for me. You'll run into a few morons here and there, idiots in crucible teabagging, etc, but for the most part everybody is cool.

I think Destiny having a bad rep is both a blessing and a curse. A lot of people think it's a bad game and that keeps a lot of the trolls away.

I'm up for some Roc strikes if anybody wants. Did everything I could this week.

Weekly. No other guaranteed way.

Blue engrams have a tendency to turn into coins or motes. So doing ROC strikes or chest farming is another way.

there is a way but its not really viable.

Have a spare character slot and a buddy. Start a new character, jump in with a buddy and go to mars and grab the first 4 golden chests. Put coin in vault and start over.

It's basically infinite strange coins but it takes time.

Hzoltan69

I'm about to do a few quick level 24 weeklies for the 25 strike exotic bounty (counts as two strikes). Anyone want to join? PSN: Hzoltan969

2 ass energy

My palm is still on my face

I knew when Bungie announced that they patched energy and shards to be legendary items it would lead to this bullshit. It happened at the same time that they made legendary engrams a guaranteed legendary. So that was their way of not making it a good drop every time.

They used to be just white items.

Steroyd

I know you can't force it, but simply from a bias perspective, the hard loot table has a higher chance of popping up with normal completed. That is my guess. Been thinking that for a while, but it's really hard to find a normal raid on VOG where people know what they're doing (lfg).

I don't know if it works that way, people got 2 hard only drops doing Atheon for example. If you were going for normal drops then that logic is sound but I believe you're nerfing your probability of getting what you want, running normal first then hard.

Is there any suggested Crucible playlist to earn fast crucible marks, I need to buy the crucible rocket launcher but getting 50 more marks is painful.

Pretty sure I mention it a bunch of times, the main reason I still contiune to play destiny, is due to the amazing community especially destinyGAF. It's gonna be sad once time passes on and we all move on. Hopefully we will see each other again in destiny 2 :)
Edit: Welp I did leave a lvl8 to his certain death :p but I did msg him and talked to him a little bit about the game system.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Why can legendary engram's turn into shards. DA faq

Been asking this question since my second raid.
Why are materials considered rewards?

Currently, the level system is a pain in the ass. Levels 23-28 are shit because you don't have enough weapon parts/class materials at the ready.
Levels 28-31 are are a pain because you're overwhelmed with one Ass material over the other. I've had weeks where I'd only get Energies when I needed shards... having 0 shards but 80+ energies.

It ended up getting to the point where I was just buying things with vanguard marks to tear them down for mats. Such a waste of currency.

NastyBook

3Yt7Skt.jpg

Finally :)
I guess I should play Salvage sometime before the reset. Then find a flawless group. Honestly, we should all just blade dance over the puzzle as Hunters.

EDIT: Ooops! Congrats!

E92 M3

I don't know if it works that way, people got 2 hard only drops doing Atheon for example. If you were going for normal drops then that logic is sound but I believe you're nerfing your probability of getting what you want, running normal first then hard.

Yes, there people that get 2 Fatebringers or two helmets, but with so many hard mode plays I think it's time to try something new.

blackflag

Anyone doing vog hard or up to the 2nd chest for Crota?

I need vog hard 3x times and the first half of CE once. Already did Crota 3x times but I'll stay for the whole thing if needed

Pretty sure I mention it a bunch of times, the main reason I still contiune to play destiny, is due to the amazing community especially destinyGAF. It's gonna be sad once time passes on and we all move on. Hopefully we will see each other again in destiny 2 :)
Edit: Welp I did leave a lvl8 to his certain death :p but I did msg him and talked to him a little bit about the game system.

Such a sad thought. I hope they can bump things up with the expansions and Comet so we all stick around.

I guess I should play Salvage sometime before the reset. Then find a flawless group. Honestly, we should all just blade dance over the puzzle as Hunters.

I love salvage. First time I actually enjoyed the crucible

I did my flawless run with my hunter. It's the easiest class to do it with imo. Jump off the third platform and use triple jump. If you want I can show you how I did it. I wasn't comfortable with even attempting a flawless run until I created my hunter and discovered how easy it is.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Did you use the bounty trick?

I've done then everyday and have almost hit Rank 3.

have you been getting additional rep from her class item/nightfall? (I have no idea which one actually applies as I always do nightfall right at reset)

I haven't done the bounty trick, nor have I done every single day of bounties. I'm at rank 3.5

Top Bottom