• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT14| Sticking It Hard in Crota's End

datto pls

the only difficult, well designed encounter in the game is the oracle/templar fight.

Yup. That's the funnest encounter in the game

I don't know about the raids cause they might be difficult but they're definitely doable but some of the nightfalls are so unbalanced that you have no choice but to hide in a room and "cheese" them. I think Bungie knows this and that's why they won't close areas like the Phogoth room.

cilonen

Shit. I just went and took a look at some Destiny youtubers and accidentally read the comments.

Those are brain cells I'll never get back.

Looked up from my iPad to see I was placed on a different team while match making.

You got booted for some reason but then maybe started your own match accidentally..? Or the game just stole you away from us... We kept mentioning how you were kicked and if you were joining back but you must have been away from the mic. Then your mic started playing sounds of a Crucible match beginning so I was like, well, I guess he's doing his own thing, haha.

I think it's fine if it doesn't work on the knights. Knights tend to move the hell around anyway. Plus they go down way before three shots. I kill them in no more than 2 shots. Black Hammer works especially well against the ogres in the second part of CE. Basically hit them once and kill shooting until they are dead. With the icebreaker, ammo runs out and you're like fuck.

I've actually been practicing using the white nail perk against multiple enemies and it's a lot of fun. I love weapons like black hammer and fate bringer because their perks make you want to get better at shooting.

Namikaze1

You got booted for some reason but then maybe started your own match accidentally..? Or the game just stole you away from us... We kept mentioning how you were kicked and if you were joining back but you must have been away from the mic. Then your mic started playing sounds of a Crucible match beginning so I was like, well, I guess he's doing his own thing, haha.
I was reading the ScarJo thread over on OT when I heard the match starting. I thought I was still with you guys but when I saw blue name tags instead of green, I knew something went wrong.

Anyone interested in doing the weekly heroic one last time before the reset? Just need to do it on my lvl 30 warlock (he's the slacker of the group). I'm thinking of doing it at 5:30pm central (2.5 hours from now).

Also, if anyone is running any HM VoG later tonight, sign me up for a run. Can do it on my 32 hunter, 30 titan, or 30 warlock depending on the makeup of the team. I'll probably run it on my titan because I'm interested in taking these ruin wings for a spin now that I have the CE helm to complete the set.

hydruxo

Datto won't be happy until everything in the game has raid mechanics.

If he made Destiny 2, patrols would have oracles spawning and shit while you were trying to do simple bounties

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It would be interesting to see some type of raid boss incorporate different burns. One phase could be arc, another void, etc. The team would have to have different sets of weapons in order to take advantage of it. Apparently Oryx is the biggest bad of the Hive so we'll probably face him some time in the future.

border

I watched it and I commented on his suggestions earlier. Basically he wants to make the encounter too hard to be a casual video game IMO.

I actually turned the video off when he started playing armchair game designer. Not because Datto bothered me but it seems like a pointless discussion to me. Bungie's not going to fix any of this garbage - we can only hope that they learn from it in designing future encounters.

Great crucible matches guys!

Most definitely. I've become addicted to shoulder charging thanks to those boots.

datto pls

the only difficult, well designed encounter in the game is the oracle/templar fight.

I think Atheon is absolutely brilliant, favorite encounter in the game with Templar second. There's a perfect rhythm to a well executed Atheon fight, I absolutely love it. GKs is fantastic as well, and really tricky to originally figure out.

Speaking of Atheon... the dramatic conclusion to the pre-Gaf-death Foil vs. Verdict debate

You are definitely taking this the wrong way lol. My first post simply meant that I vastly prefer praetorian foil for this. FV works for you, and that's great. For me, a fusion rifle provides more versatility to the encounter, specifically when things go wrong. I often join friends to help out doing the raid, and there are inevitably players that don't do things very efficiently. If it takes too long to kill the minotaur in the one portal, for instance, getting to the oracles with a shotgun before they spawn becomes difficult. .

The only thing is I know and play with a ton of people from this OT, but I don't know you and have no context for your intended tone. So that kind of post doesn't come off as well as something like "hmm I'll have to try FV sometime but I really like PF because of x-y-z."

I have a main raid team that tries for max efficiency (
most of the time *cough*
) but I also help n00bs raid all the time. I've done Atheon with 2 low level alts and Crota with 3 who just suicide at the start. I want the most efficient load out possible for all types of groups because carrying weaker teams requires more contribution from the stronger players. Whatever the group needs in a given moment, I want the gun I have to be as good as possible at that job.

I'm convinced the best load out is GH for Atheon, VoC for supplicants, and FV for oracles (actually really good on supps. given its range but should save ammo for oracles). I've never played with someone who was aware of FV's value and I frequently have people ask me wtf I'm using to destroy them so quickly. Hence the PSA. Seriously people, give it a try on your next VoG run, you will be amazed.

I don't know about the raids cause they might be difficult but they're definitely doable but some of the nightfalls are so unbalanced that you have no choice but to hide in a room and "cheese" them. I think Bungie knows this and that's why they won't close areas like the Phogoth room.

If Bungie closed off the Phogoth room, I'm not sure that nightfall would be possible. Has anyone here ever completed that nightfall by not hiding there?

cilonen

lol this post gave me a chuckle and now i'm curious.

It was about a conspiracy that equipping a speaker emblem gives you a hidden buff on the RNG in various scenarios.

Within three replies it had escalated into f-bombs and death threats.

Datto won't be happy until everything in the game has raid mechanics.

If he made Destiny 2, patrols would have oracles spawning and shit while you were trying to do simple bounties

himZD0M.gif

I was reading the ScarJo thread over on OT when I heard the match starting. I thought I was still with you guys but when I saw blue name tags instead of green, I knew something went wrong.

I just saw someone left the fireteam and assumed you got kicked. But no biggie, we went undefeated those few matches. Great games and we should do it again sometimes. Always down for crucible
till the lag is extremely bad and start to really effect my play style. Then I get piss off at it and stop playing :p

Hoodbury

Anyone interested in doing the weekly heroic one last time before the reset? Just need to do it on my lvl 30 warlock (he's the slacker of the group). I'm thinking of doing it at 5:30pm central (2.5 hours from now).

Also, if anyone is running any HM VoG later tonight, sign me up for a run. Can do it on my 32 hunter, 30 titan, or 30 warlock depending on the makeup of the team. I'll probably run it on my titan because I'm interested in taking these ruin wings for a spin now that I have the CE helm to complete the set.

Any chance you can wait 2 more hours? I need the weekly two times still but won't be on until around 7:30ish. If not, no worries.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
If Bungie closed off the Phogoth room, I'm not sure that nightfall would be possible. Has anyone here ever completed that nightfall by not hiding there?

Well, I do that nightfall from the rock area in the back :p but even still, since the room is so big, it's certainly doable. It's the small areas where you can't avoid enemies that is hard.

realcZk

Any chance you can wait 2 more hours? I need the weekly two times still but won't be on until around 7:30ish. If not, no worries.

I also need it x2 I believe, 7:30 works for me if it does with GK

Yup. That's the funnest encounter in the game

Phogoth and the Nexus are nightmares. If you're not cheesing there's really no safe-ish place to hide recover. You must constantly run and even then you can get wiped because you caught one of the billion Vex lasers shot from as many locations. At least you could have a short break during Sepiks Prime or the Devil Walker.

Fuck those fights. Edit: and the Archon Priest, too

How about Arkon Priest with all burns. The fallen skiff alone one shot kills. Add servitors shooting void, captains and the priest shooting solar and everything else shooting arc and that nightfall seems impossible if you're out in the open.

The defend confluxes and oracle parts were the worst. The actual templar fight was fun, well, without the detain shield glitches, heh

Yeah. Once you know how it works, you just want to get it over with. Also, it's a bit too dangerous on Hard compared to the other parts of the Raid.

The Oracle fight is easy enough but it's too long, too.

spyder_ur

I'm convinced the best load out is GH for Atheon, VoC for supplicants, and FV for oracles (actually really good on supps. given its range but should save ammo for oracles). I've never played with someone who was aware of FV's value and I frequently have people ask me wtf I'm using to destroy them so quickly. Hence the PSA. Seriously people, give it a try on your next VoG run, you will be amazed.

Found verdict is also great for detain shields.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
This Datto fellow's idea of an accomplishment is interesting. Aside from the VoG the first few times (due to sheer unfamiliarity) very few things in this game actually feel rewarding. The enemy design is so primitive and the entire way the game handles the concept of 'difficulty' is so mechanical and devoid of any sense of accomplishment. I'll shoot Phogoth for ten minutes from whatever platform/location you want me too and its going to feel the same every time. Tedious. It aint dark souls bruh. If someone's idea of a rewarding experience in a videogame is overcoming math..well then, do you dog. There's many more grievous design choices in the game than an open door.

Also, I want a lot more missions or encounters that aren't based on fighting, like the Gorgon's Maze. I loved it and it provided a nice change of pace.

Bogeypop

Can I have my crew for a fresh run after the reset tomorrow?

I'll try and be there though I woke up at 4 AM today (1 hour after the usual reset). Which shouldn't be a problem considering we didn't start Crota last week until that time since we were doing Nightfall.

I'm very tempted to delete either my Hunter or Titan, with the intention to use the third slot to delete and remake an extra one or two characters per week to Raid again with.

Looking at my Rad shard collecting rate it will take until mid March to get all characters to 32, I figure by deleting/remaking I can get enough shards and still relevel whichever character I deleted back to where it is now in half that time if not sooner, only it'll be 32 then due to getting the shards, plus all the extra nightfall/raid loots too I'd get in mean time.

Can anyone think of a reason not to do it?

Hey no one answered when I asked before, but can anyone think of any downside I'm forgetting about here?

Faction rep I don't care about, can be easily got back.

cilonen

Phogoth and the Nexus are nightmares. If you're not cheesing there's really no safe-ish place to hide recover. You must constantly run and even then you can get wiped because you caught one of the billion Vex lasers shooting everywhere. At least you could have a short break during Sepiks Prime or the Devil Walker.

Fuck those fights. Edit: and the Archon Priest, too

I've seen someone do Nexus from hiding behind a pillar up on the roofed area down to the right as you jump down.

Thing is you have to land on a specific ledge from the jump down then traverse across and it's a complete pig to do.

Top Bottom