• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT14| Sticking It Hard in Crota's End

KeRaSh

VoG is a harsh mistress, I've gotten enough Warlock Raid gear to gear 4 or 5 different Warlocks with only a pair of Praydeth's Revenge, 2 Corrective Measures, and a fleet of Aspect of Glass and Timebreakers to show for my efforts. Whereas Crota I've gotten one of each weapon, and only 1 duplicate pair of boots. All I'm missing is the Shotgun and the Warlock Raid Helmet.

Well I'm really, really glad they made Crota loot drops much more sensible. I'm not even mad about the fact that it took me three weeks to get the helmet even once but that's with three Warlocks! I can't imagine what would have happened with only one character.

I have 6 pairs of gloves across my three characters, two pairs of boots, two chests and one helmet. Not bad at all but potentially useless by the time House of Wolves comes out. I didn't mind that they made VoG gear completely redundant since I never actually got anything worthwhile but now I hope that they heard the player's outcries and implement way for Crota gear to still be viable once the next DLC hits.

Hyun Sai

Finally tested the Black Hammer, and honestly I don't see what the fuss is about. Definitely not a replacement to Ice Breaker, not by a mile. I don't even think I will max it, will save those radiants energy in case of a better armor drop.

Feorax

Typical. Reposting for new page.

Ok, since I posted this ages ago, we might have one or two that can't make it, but I'll repost this and if there are any dropouts I'll put the word out on here.

So far for Hard Mode VOG we have:

1. MattIgoe
2. Jaguwar
3. Nuszka
4. greatgeek5
5. HigXx
6. Hyunsai

So we need 2 more. Looking to start as soon as we get a group together. Starting from Templar Room.

Edit: Full for now.

HigXx

Ok, since I posted this ages ago, we might have one or two that can't make it, but I'll repost this and if there are any dropouts I'll put the word out on here.

1. MattIgoe
2. Jaguwar
3. Nuszka

So we need 3 more. Looking to start as soon as we get a group together. Starting from Templar Room.

Yeh id be up for this

KeRaSh

Finally tested the Black Hammer, and honestly I don't see what the fuss is about. Definitely not a replacement to Ice Breaker, not by a mile. And that's ok, it' "only" a legendary. I don't even think I will max it, will save those radiants energy in case of a better armor drop.

As an avid Ice Breaker user I partially agree. It's definitely no replacement with such a small mag but it completely destroys bosses with easy to hit crit spots like spider tanks, the tank before Valus, the Archon Priest, Phogoth, Sepiks Prime, Nexus, etc.
Anything else will probably move too fast to consistently get the instant-reload effect to kick in, though.

Sometimes I'm simply too lazy to switch weapons but if they ever implement a way to quickly jump between different loadouts it would be amazing.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I have no Hawkmoon, but the Thorn has a higher Rate of Fire which accounts for a lot in PvP. Like everything else in Destiny, the Hawkmoon takes a good amount of luck as well as a bit of skill. If I'm not hit with a bonus damage bullet, the guy using Hawkmoon is dead most of the time.

There's a few reasons one might prefer Thorn over Hawkmoon. Thorn overpenetrates and can hit two targets with one shot. In PvE you can pace your shots to keep enemy shields down. In PvP you can use the DoT to track your enemy for a second or two if they duck out of sight. In addition getting your shields taken down by Thorn can be very jarring and disorienting. Hawkmoon does have 3 bonus damage bullets but with Thorn you know exactly which bullet it is and can sit on it if need be. I think (i could be wrong about this one) that Thorn also has beefier hitboxes on its shots. It's noticeably easier getting headshots with it. I think Hawkmoon is overall a better utility straight forward weapon. Thorn just has that bit of extra trickery the Hawkmoon doesnt. I love both weapons but i like Thorn just a tad bit more.

Hyun Sai

As an avid Ice Breaker user I partially agree. It's definitely no replacement with such a small mag but it completely destroys bosses with easy to hit crit spots like spider tanks, the tank before Valus, the Archon Priest, Phogoth, Sepiks Prime, Nexus, etc.
Anything else will probably move too fast to consistently get the instant-reload effect to kick in, though.

Sometimes I'm simply too lazy to switch weapons but if they ever implement a way to quickly jump between different loadouts it would be amazing.

Yes, that's why the best spot for the weapon is near Icebreaker, provider of infinite ammo for other snipers.

And at higher level it can be pretty dangerous to stay in the same spot landing those 3 shots. I don't even talk about burn.

noomi

So.... I've decided last night to move my PS4 from my living room to my office. My wife wanted to watch some of her shows, and I needed my destiny fix.

I was playing Destiny on a 55" Samsung LED TV, and the input lag while not terrible (with game-mode) was still noticeable. In my office, I have a very nice BENQ gaming monitor, so I said why not?

The difference was insane, instantly noticed a difference in picture quality and no input lag. Crucible.... I fucking OWNED! SO much easier to see targets and get that snap aiming.

I don't think I'm going back to my living room, just going to lock myself in the office forever.

Skele7on

Banned
yes, you have several days

The answer is always yes.
This advice coming from a someone with no alts.

Yeah I think I may just delete a hunter and make a new one and start again.

this'll be probably my 7th hunter... Let the grind recommence!

Now just to get work over with, I need a Vita so I can do this at work...

Finally tested the Black Hammer, and honestly I don't see what the fuss is about. Definitely not a replacement to Ice Breaker, not by a mile. I don't even think I will max it, will save those radiants energy in case of a better armor drop.

You're insane, this gun is both a beast in PVP and PVE. It makes Atheon a DREAMMM!!! You're using it wrong sir.

Bogeypop

Yeah I think I may just delete a hunter and make a new one and start again.

this'll be probably my 7th hunter... Let the grind recommence!

Now just to get work over with, I need a Vita so I can do this at work...

For the last few weeks when Raid and Nightfall drops have been atrocious I constantly battle with myself if I should make alts or not, and ultimately decide not to. Once I go down that path I feel I'm making this a job, and not simply just having fun anymore.

Nuszka

1. MattIgoe
2. Jaguwar
3. Nuszka

So we need 3 more. Looking to start as soon as we get a group together. Starting from Templar Room.

Check your inbox , sorry but i am out wife just got home i only had an hour to do it , sorry again

HunRevan

Do I have to complete Eris' quests to have a chance to receive the Husk of the Pit or it is just a completely random drop from those bladebeares?

SkylineRKR

I use it in a lot of occassions where I would use IB before. Which are boss fights mostly. Its a game changer against the bosses you mentioned. We took Sekrion down within 20 secs with 2 BH. Speeds up the grind considerably. It even beats IB in raw damage. So on these bosses its the best Sniper, or weapon even, out there.

On trash mobs with Solar burn IB is still the better choice. But I rather use Vex there. I really only use it on Oracles. And yesterday's no burn.

Bogeypop

Do I have to complete Eris' quests to have a chance to receive the Husk of the Pit or it is just a completely random drop from those bladebeares?

Random drop from any Blade of Crota. Fist of Crota Mission on Earth is the best place to farm it if you're thinking of doing that. Just run passed everything in the beginning until you get to the Acolytes summoning him. Kill him. Go further in to the Darkness Zone and let the Story Boss kill you then you can just walk back and kill the Blade again. And repeat until your Husk of the Pit drops

Sane_Man

No offence intended but maybe you're just not very good with it? I rock it almost constantly now and I can hit the critical spots most of the time on random enemies and for the bosses it's just amazing. I never find myself running out of ammo.

Also, you don't need to stand in one position. I constantly move with it. You need to practice.

KeRaSh

Yes, that's why the best spot for the weapon is near Icebreaker, provider of infinite ammo for other snipers.

And at higher level it can be pretty dangerous to stay in the same spot landing those 3 shots. I don't even talk about burn.

Indeed! Black Hammer is a great gun in some situations but can be a very mediocre one the rest of the time. The great situations don't happen nearly enough to make it a viable replacement for me, though and I'm totally fine with that.
It's special enough to be a desirable raid weapon, while other raid weapons are rather lacking. The only other raid weapons which I find desireable are the machine gun to melt through Knight shields (again, very situational but still a great weapon) and Hunger of Crota as a baby BallerHorn that allows me to keep my Ice Breaker equipped (IMO the best of the bunch since it's great in almost any situation).

19 shards needed for 32! Problem is I have 30+ energy but only rank 2 with Eris :-(

How many shards will I get from breaking down other bits of raid armour, will I get more if it's all levelled up?

I swear that RNG in this game is not so random. Too many people get caught in drawnout streaks. Your luck sounds the opposite of Nami.
I know this post is from last night, but you have to wonder if it's bugged (or just plain screwed up) just like so many other things in the game are. I'd LOVE to see the numbers and design behind it.

Meneses

How hard can an Exotic trade system be?

Got my third Icebreaker the other day, my buddy got his 4th Hawkmoon. We both want the other weapon, but instead we just shard the repeats.

Such a waste.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
You're insane, this gun is both a beast in PVP and PVE. It makes Atheon a DREAMMM!!! You're using it wrong sir.

Atheon doesn't move around much though. It is pretty impractical for trash and fast mobs unless you have a good sniper nest to aim from. It is even pretty hard to use on Vallus T'auric as after the first shot he shreds you with his pea shooter.

Skele7on

Banned
For the last few weeks when Raid and Nightfall drops have been atrocious I constantly battle with myself if I should make alts or not, and ultimately decide not to. Once I go down that path I feel I'm making this a job, and not simply just having fun anymore.

Destiny has felt like a job for quite a while for me. But I love the game.

It really hits that must be the best and have everything itch I have.

Also I must say after getting Hard Light the other day, mah gawd, that gun slays in PVP.

LiK

Black Hammer is godly against most Strike bosses. Icebreaker is great for mobs and cheesing NFs/Weeklies with unlimited ammo. They both have their uses.

My main rocks both depending on the situation.

KeRaSh

Got my third Icebreaker the other day, my buddy got his 4th Hawkmoon. We both want the other weapon, but instead we just shard the repeats.

Such a waste.

There should definitely be regulations but somehow a trade system could work without it ruining the exotic eco system. For example you could require exotics to be traded for other exotics but exotics that came from bounties can only be traded for other bounty weapons. Weapons might also be only tradeable once, etc.
I haven't given it too much thought but I'm sure it could work.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
No offence intended but maybe you're just not very good with it? I rock it almost constantly now and I can hit the critical spots most of the time on random enemies and for the bosses it's just amazing. I never find myself running out of ammo.

Also, you don't need to stand in one position. I constantly move with it. You need to practice.

Honestly I'd love to see a video of someone doing this. Getting 3 crits in a row with a sniper gun on a consistent basis just seems really difficult. On pho goth, priest, etc, sure, they barely move. Against random enemies? I would say it's nearly impossible most of the time.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Such a waste.

Trading would really kill a lot of the excitement for the game imo. Everyone would have the exact weapons they wanted. Right now, the joy of hunting and finding your desired weapon is awesome. Yesterday I finally found a hawkmoon and nearly passed out. If there was trading, I probably would have had one in September and be over it already.

noomi

Black Hammer is godly against most Strike bosses. Icebreaker is great for mobs and cheesing NFs/Weeklies with unlimited ammo. They both have their uses.

My main rocks both depending on the situation.

I <3 my Black Hammer, truthfully I haven't used my icebreaker since. Even with the low ammo reserve, it's just a great sniper overall.

Hyun Sai

Indeed! Black Hammer is a great gun in some situations but can be a very mediocre one the rest of the time. The great situations don't happen nearly enough to make it a viable replacement for me, though and I'm totally fine with that.
It's special enough to be a desirable raid weapon, while other raid weapons are rather lacking. The only other raid weapons which I find desireable are the machine gun to melt through Knight shields (again, very situational but still a great weapon) and Hunger of Crota as a baby BallerHorn that allows me to keep my Ice Breaker equipped (IMO the best of the bunch since it's great in almost any situation).

Couldn't agree more.

E92 M3

Trading would really kill a lot of the excitement for the game imo. Everyone would have the exact weapons they wanted. Right now, the joy of hunting and finding your desired weapon is awesome. Yesterday I finally found a hawkmoon and nearly passed out. If there was trading, I probably would have had one in September and be over it already.

As frustrated as I am, I agree.

KeRaSh

That argument goes both ways, though. How many people want to quit because they keep getting screwed by RNG? My brother got four Suros Regimes since the DLC came out. I got Glass House which he wants but I don't even have a Titan. I would gladly share with friends and family.
I was lucky enough to snatch an Ice Breaker from Xur when it was available and it is by far my favorite gun in the game. It didn't stop me from playing and enjoying Destiny as much as I did until now. I'm close to 300 hours playtime across three Warlocks.
Getting the weapon you want is only half the fun. Using it is what actually matters to me.
I don't care where my Ice Breaker came from. What matters to me is that I have one.
My brother desperately wants one, too.
We do the nightfalls together every week. You know what I think every time I see the rewards screen right before the icons appear?

Please don't give me a second Ice Breaker while my brother walks away with a legendary shotgun or a bunch of ascendant materials.

He would probably quit the game if that ever happened and I could totally understand it.

Yes...the joy of hunting for desired weapons and armor. I do keep coming back, over and over and over trying to get a Heart of the Praxic Fire over and over (I'm not even feeling like I'm being redundant or repeating myself on how often I keep playing things over and over). So yeah, I agree with you. Trading items would completely break Destiny for me. The masochistically fun part of this game is playing to earn certain dream items. When you see your buddy get one of those items, you really are happy for him and jealous at the same time. If we could just trade our extras back and forth, it really would take away a big part of what makes Destiny a good game.

Nuszka

Congrats on the Hawkmoon , amazing gun. If you are going to be available in like 5 hours we can Hawkmoon the weekly or some roc strikes .

Top Bottom