• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT14| Sticking It Hard in Crota's End

Yeah I only tried it for maybe 6-8 runs before passing it on. Escaping/getting one more hit was my major problem.

I'm In the same boat as you, 32 with zero sword experience. if you ever want to load a CP and mess around with it, I'd be down to help. Probably busy tomorrow, but available most nights. PSN - Dr_LawyerCop, on your friends list.

Titan - I felt like I was getting the hang of it, but handed it off so the group could get a clear. I was trying to go R1-R1-R2, but I found myself triggering the 3rd R1 too quickly. Really, though, it was much more of a matter of timing and especially escaping. It's different when you're up there. Really wanted to crush him once.
Honestly as a lvl32 you can just hit him with R2 3x and run away. Maybe 4x if you get up there fast enough.

exYle

Hey, we need one more person to run Crota fresh. We've done both the cheese and legit a couple of times now, but we've had trouble at Crota before.

PSN: Buttchin-n-Bones

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Sorry man. Your time will come! What do you need, Helms?

Black Hammer and Hunger of Crota, at least 1 of each!
Helmets for all 3 classes would be appreciated also

It's crazy I do Swordbearing 75% of the time and get 2-3 energy or shards, last 6 runs (2 on each character) have been Super bust!
It's not I request I get everything, but I mean 6 turns, not 1 helmet or weapon...
Fuck, even how ruthless Atheon was, he at least gave you shit every time, especially in HM version

Only bright side I have is I reached 100 Radiant Shards...
Still need to run the first 2 parts for my Titan for this week
Fhut9Qa.jpg

Mindlog

And another thing.
Bungie. Please just remove the stupid useless turret from Interceptors and equip them with a plow.
Fuckin' useless.

spyder_ur

Yeah honestly I'm not a fan of the R1-R1-R2, I tried that at first but like you said it can put you in danger if you don't time it correctly and get stuck in the middle of a combo when he stands up. I do R1-R2-R1-R2 (or R2-R1-R2-R1) and that's worked pretty well for me. You can get R2 hits in quicker if you hold the left stick up while doing it because it cancels the animation. When I'm escaping I mash R1 in the air to use the sword to glide away safely rather than trying to run away because Crota's reach is pretty wide and you don't have much time otherwise.

Yup, I got caught a few times mid animation and basically knew I was screwed as I was landing the blow - that's a terrible feeling.

Thanks for the R2 tip (in combo with IRawr below) - appreciated. I always forgot to use R1 while escaping too, and also forgot to take the side exit rather than the bridge.

I'm In the same boat as you, 32 with zero sword experience. if you ever want to load a CP and mess around with it, I'd be down to help. Probably busy tomorrow, but available most nights. PSN - Dr_LawyerCop, on your friends list.

I'm away this weekend - maybe next week we can get a sword school going and take turns or something? Maybe even pass the checkpoint around for different characters. I just felt bad holding up the team.

Honestly as a lvl32 you can just hit him with R2 3x and run away. Maybe 4x if you get up there fast enough.

that might be easier. Thanks for the tip. One time I got him to maybe 1/3 health, but the timing on the swordbearer coming off the ogre stage messed things up.

hope xur is selling a suros

if not an icebreaker >:)

want a last word too

he wouldn't sell hawkmoon right? to keep it consistent across xbox?

Exotic shards are starting to pile up. Two Armrmintarian chests for my titan, my second Last Word, and Dragon RL. It's almost like the game says "hey, we saw that you like the Dragon RL, so have another!" I only bought it just in case it ever gets buffed.

Deku Tree

hope xur is selling a suros

if not an icebreaker >:)

want a last word too

he wouldn't sell hawkmoon right? to keep it consistent across xbox?

Would like Xur to sell

Weapon = Red Death
Titan - Helm Saint 14 or Glasshouse
Warlock - Obsidian Mind
Hunter - Whatever
Exotic Engram - Helmet if no Saint 14 or Glasshouse or Obsidian

Yet another time? Please no, both of those already have multiple repeats.

Mindlog

that might be easier. Thanks for the tip. One time I got him to maybe 1/3 health, but the timing on the swordbearer coming off the ogre stage messed things up.
If you are the sword person it really still helps to have Gjallarhorn or something heavy hitting. Lately I've moved to immediately killing the sword bearer as I am or even before grabbing the chalice.

Swordsperson should be the first one to exit the towers.

Bonus Points: Set a stopwatch and start it as soon as you exit. Crota will move every minute. This is a little extra bit of info that makes the encounter go much more smoothly. As an example if you are waiting for Crota to move from left back to center than you can kill the sword bearer a few seconds before the move. You will be up on the rock and ready at the same time Crota has finished moving back to center. I'm almost certain this also speeds up Ogre spawns (if Crota is still alive.) Another great point is that if you die (it happens) you will be aware of how much time you have before Crota is on your corpse again. This makes reviving you a much safer proposition.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Thanks Kadey!!! Got chest piece!

You rock I really appreciate it

You got what I wanted. :0

Hmmmmmmm. After doing a lot of this lately. It appears to me that boots and gloves tend to drop more on the first part and chest pieces on the second, with the helmet of course only dropping from Crota himself. And the raid weapons also.

That second chest is mostly shards but I have seen gloves dropped from it once.

Hmmmmmmm. After doing a lot of this lately. It appears to me that boots and gloves tend to drop more on the first part and chest pieces on the second, with the helmet of course only dropping from Crota himself. And the raid weapons also.

Thank you, Kadey.

Rehsa

Aww sorry to steal your loot you definitely deserve it. That sounds right, though I think I did get Hunter arms from second my first time.

As a lvl32, 4x R2 will kill crota within 2 swordphases. I can understand the combos as a lvl31 since you do ~30 % less dmg. It's all on the timing and approach. If you get up there as soon as crota is downed, you can hit him with 4x R2 the majority of the times. He does have insane reach with his swords. if you are unable to get up there when is he downed, you will only be able to get 3x R2. 3x R2 is a 2.5 swordphases crota kill. It's better to take it slow at first. Once you begin to understand the timing you can play more aggressively. The timing is very strict imo and varies from team members as well due to the dps. For escaping jump in the air and spam R1. Be careful not to aim your crosshair at crota since it will auto lock and you will hit crota aka wipe
Edit:
does anyone have a crota checkpoint to share?
Hey :3 let me load up my warlock

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's alright.

I've been done with my drops for this week. I actually got 2/4 raid items for a Warlock I made less than a week ago. That's better success than certain people. Just need either a helm or chest piece for her. My other two classes are already 32 so I'm not worried about them.

I might make this a daily thing if people need the help and I want to take it even further by solo-ing the whole raid myself with low levels tagging along for freebies that way they can be rocking raid weapons below 30.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
damn, those waves of psion operants with epic/angry are naaaasty! Forgot what a brutal combo that is. had to fall back on the semi-soft cheese, duck into the right side under-ramp (as opposed to the crate fortress) a few times when it got too hairy. thanks carbine and wins for playing it fast and loose with me :D

i was rewarded for our lactose-intolerant efforts
My third... I won't use it on any of my characters, but I don't believe I have the heart to shard any of them.

I still want to attempt a fully legit go by week's end, maybe ideally could be three people who have it done to just try for the challenge. it's rough, but if we all come packing Void stuff for the Psions and synths I think it's completely doable.

This was my stocking stuffer
didn't have a single newschool void heavy, this thing will be the spiritual successor to my beloved corrective measure. woooooo

great night of destiny all in all, can't believe how much we schooled the raid after our first few goes of it, and I got the crota CP saved for sword school this weekend. onward soon to 32...

Top Bottom