• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT14| Sticking It Hard in Crota's End

todd360

Hey Todd..

Might have been an issue on my end, dunno. But I found the widely varied volume of each person made it impossible to listen to. I couldn't follow it and was playing with my volume controls at first, then I just gave up. :(

This was just through my monitor speakers which is usually fine for simple spoken word stuff.

hmm. I edited it with headphones on and haven't tried listening without headphones yet. I can't really mess with the individual volume of each person through skype calls.

Edit: I just tried with my cellphones built in speaker and it sounded ok. Fig didn't have a dedicated mic so her voice is low and I think I was sitting to far away from my mic so my voice is lower than the others. That is probably why were at different volume levels. I will try to fix that for episode 2

Is anyone else having trouble listening to it?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, oddly, Todd and fig are both very quiet in the podcast. fig sounded like that for the most part as we recorded, but todd sounded pretty much normal to me. Hmm. FRENDEN and Bitmap sounded about as they did to me while recording.

kidko

hmm. I edited it with headphones on and haven't tried listening without headphones yet. I can't really mess with the individual volume of each person through skype calls.

What you probably wanna do in the future is have a recording on each person's end and have them each send their file so you can mix them together properly. use the skype recording as a guide to line it up properly

GhaleonEB

good on minotaur on venus/right, oracles, supplicants, anything but atheon

That was a great run! And yeah hopefully she'll get a new legendary weapon real soon and it'll be good to have on hand XD

She was using a new legendary rocket launcher (drops cluster bombs in the wake of the explosion) for strike, so that's 18 of them right there. Running it means she won't be gated by materials for the upgrade. :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What you probably wanna do in the future is have a recording on each person's end and have them each send their file so you can mix them together properly. use the skype recording as a guide to line it up properly
Interesting, is that how it's usually done? I don't even know what I should be using to make a recording for this purpose

todd360

That would take far to much time and effort haha. I'm pretty sure I just didn't have my mic close enough. Fig should have a actual mic next time to so that will fix the issues I hope.

kidko

Interesting, is that how it's usually done? I don't even know what I should be using to make a recording for this purpose

I'm pretty sure this is how the better sounding casts are done. I remember hearing about this technique on the cheapassgamer podcast

Edit: I'm an audio engineer type so I'm super picky about how recordings sound, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Perhaps most people aren't as picky!

A_Gorilla

Banned
REALLY NEED PEOPLE's HELP!

Still need to beat Crota (have a checkpoint just after the 2nd chest) and also perhaps Hard VoG if possible.

my PSN is El_Bombastico. I'm a lvl 31 warlock with a maxed out Gjallerhorn. Plz GAF, this may be my only night left to do this until the reset!

BokehKing

Banned
Hey Todd..

Might have been an issue on my end, dunno. But I found the widely varied volume of each person made it impossible to listen to. I couldn't follow it and was playing with my volume controls at first, then I just gave up. :(

This was just through my monitor speakers which is usually fine for simple spoken word stuff.
People did have varying mics levels, but hey for a first podcast it sounds good to me.

Just give each other time to talk, get mute buttons, ect ect, but I'm listening now and sounds great, I'm going to have to get on that one day, call in, leave a voice mail or something.

LTWood12

Question:

So last night I beat Atheon on hard (just atheon) in an alt that had never even done VoG on normal. Will that alt now have hard mode unlocked to choose, or do I need to do a full normal run on each alt to unlock hard.

Hope that makes sense.

No, I don't think so. I would imagine something like guardian radio involves having a pretty decent mixer and being able to separate everyone and mix them at the recording side.

Might involve multiple computers/multiple Skype accounts to get them all in, and then dump each one to the mixer separately.

The industry I'm in crosses some blurry lines into this area, and I've attended several presentations on putting together podcasts for training purposes.

One of the things I recall quite vividly is that anyone listening to a podcast tends to lose interest fast if the quality gets in the way.

todd360

People did have varying mics levels, but hey for a first podcast it sounds good to me.

Just give each other time to talk, get mute buttons, ect ect, but I'm listening now and sounds great, I'm going to have to get on that one day, call in, leave a voice mail or something.

Thanks. I think its passable for our first go at it. I will make sure the varying mic levels aren't as bad next time.

Yeah, I have to confess, because I have to deal with stuff like this all the time I do have a fairly low tolerance level for audio and video quality issues. That's just a me thing :)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
20 to 24. Now I need to level up and get two final gear to get my Warlock to 31. Hoping to get in Weekly and Nightfall before reset.

BokehKing

Banned
I don't know of you guys ever heard of frogpants podcast network, (they do 'the instance' and 'morning stream', a crap ton of podcasts actually) I just asked a question in their fb page to try to find out some starting off tips. Pretty sure they record through Skype though. The mics sound fine to me coming out of my phone right now though

BokehKing

Banned
Yeah, I have to confess, because I have to deal with stuff like this all the time I do have a fairly low tolerance level for audio and video quality issues. That's just a me thing :)
Oh yeah of course, it sounds a lot better than all those early LOST podcasts back in the day on talkshoe, when I think of bad quality audio podcasts I think of those, horrendous.
Compared to those this sounds great.

Just a tip, format,
Intro/news/topic/listener questions/goodbye

I mean you can always record it on Skype, stream it on twitch, ect ect.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Blargh, check point fail. I managed to lose it, checked all 3 characters. Sorry dude. I usually end up helping someone kill Atheon and don't remember to use a different character than whichever one has the gorgons CP....
Just found a Destinylfg group and killed Atheon fast. Got the ship again :lol

I have a gorgon CP if you need it. Dr_LawyerCop.

Edit - if anyone needs it, I can pass the checkpoint out. I'm on a call so no mic. Just send a FR or join.
Yes please. I'm sending you a FR.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Any of DGAF watched the Interstellar? Trying to convince my financee to go out and watch it with me on IMAX
i loved it :)
No, I don't think so. I would imagine something like guardian radio involves having a pretty decent mixer and being able to separate everyone and mix them at the recording side.

Might involve multiple computers/multiple Skype accounts to get them all in, and then dump each one to the mixer separately.

The industry I'm in crosses some blurry lines into this area, and I've attended several presentations on putting together podcasts for training purposes.

One of the things I recall quite vividly is that anyone listening to a podcast tends to lose interest fast if the quality gets in the way.
Hopefully rectifying the discrepancy in audio levels between our individual mics will have a substantive impact. at the least we can do a small test recording before going in on recording the next one to listen to it.

BokehKing

Banned

Hopefully rectifying the discrepancy in audio levels between our individual mics will have a substantive impact. at the least we can do a small test recording before going in on recording the next one to listen to it.
Might not even be mic level it and might be the mics being used or mic too close to the mouth on some peoole but seriously, it's better than a lot of 'first podcasts' I've heard before and I have heard a lot

Hope that all work out! :)

The only other tip I'd like to offer is regarding the opening. I found it odd (and you might have done this later on) that the introduction of everyone was given such short shrift. Especially for the inaugural podcast.

Here's the podcast. I'm todd. here's fig. here's another person whose name you might or might not know, and yet another.

Is the presumption that only gaffers will listen, therefore knowing who these folks are is a foregone conclusion?

What might have been nice for everyone to do is tell us who they are individually, what characters they play, how long they've been playing for, how long per day they play, and maybe an individual hook like their favourite thing to do in Destiny.

Otherwise, why should the listener care about these people? And I don't mean that in a trite impersonal way, I mean that in an audience engagement and entertainment way. You are creating entertainment, it should have some structure and reason for people to want to know and like the people doing it. :)

Hope this doesn't come across as harsh! I'd like to see you guys do well with it.

Wark

I just got my first couple pieces of light armor and I'm almost LVL 22. Would it worth getting The Dark Below now or should I wait? Either way, I'm going to be picking it up sooner or later.

Blargh, check point fail. I managed to lose it, checked all 3 characters. Sorry dude. I usually end up helping someone kill Atheon and don't remember to use a different character than whichever one has the gorgons CP....

Lol, it was Auto_aim1 and Me that you helped out yesterday morning on Hard Atheon and lost your checkpoint.

BokehKing

Banned
Hope that all work out! :)

The only other tip I'd like to offer is regarding the opening. I found it odd (and you might have done this later on) that the introduction of everyone was given such short shrift. Especially for the inaugural podcast.

Here's the podcast. I'm todd. here's fig. here's another person whose name you might or might not know, and yet another.

Is the presumption that only gaffers will listen, therefore knowing who these folks are is a foregone conclusion?

What might have been nice for everyone to do is tell us who they are individually, what characters they play, how long they've been playing for, how long per day they play, and maybe an individual hook like their favourite thing to do in Destiny.

Otherwise, why should the listener care about these people? And I don't mean that in a trite impersonal way, I mean that in an audience engagement and entertainment way. You are creating entertainment, it should have some structure and reason for people to want to know and like the people doing it. :)

Hope this doesn't come across as harsh! I'd like to see you guys do well with it.
I agree, the opening introduction allows the listener to meet the individual, hear the quip and get to know their personality ect ect

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just got my first couple pieces of light armor and I'm almost LVL 22. Would it worth getting The Dark Below now or should I wait? Either way, I'm going to be picking it up sooner or later.
I don't know why you'd wait if you know you're going to be getting it. Have any strange coins handy? there's some good stuff at xur right now that's going away in a few hours :p

Frenden

Banned
We discussed segment ideas and adding more structure for the next go-round. All valid suggestions.

I think we were all pretty happy to just get one out of the way and try and use it as a learning experience. The quickest way to succeed is to accelerate the rate at which you fail!

I did some reading after and it seems like a lot of podcasts that have the participants calling in remotely with Skype or Hangouts or whatever DO record each track locally and mix them together. Audacity or the like to record your individual track, email to the editor at the end, and voila. I'm not sure that's in the cards for us at the moment, but it would be a way to have more control over quality in the future, for sure.

I don't know why you'd wait if you know you're going to be getting it. Have any strange coins handy? there's some good stuff at xur right now that's going away in a few hours :p

How are the Titan boots? I don't think I'd use them, but I usually grab everything new.

GhaleonEB

If you plan on getting it, might as well get it now. It adds some good stuff to the game.

Top Bottom