• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT14| Sticking It Hard in Crota's End

gdt

the flavor text of pocket infinity changed...?

it used to be: "It is not enough to kill the enemy. The act of violence must become self-sustaining."

Now it's: "You cannot shake the feeling that this is less a weapon than a doorway."

It's always been the second one far as I know.

Frenden

Banned

it used to be: "It is not enough to kill the enemy. The act of violence must become self-sustaining."

Now it's: "You cannot shake the feeling that this is less a weapon than a doorway."

A while ago. Red Death changed too. Both had references to killing IIRC. I bet it has to do with keeping things under an M rating.

LiK

really? never checked but if true, new flavor text is garbage.

xCobalt

Alright, leveled my Hawkmoon : 24/10, 17/10 and 23/9 over my last three games; I'm starting to get it though I can't say I don't enjoy the lingering damage of Thorn more : Popping three shots then blinking away to watch them die slowly never gets old.

I personally prefer Hawkmoon over Thorn in PVP. Although both kill in two headshots (thorn needs the DoT), that extra time could give the opponent enough time to kill you or your teammates.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

They did? I've never seen the original text for Pocket Infinity.

gdt

A while ago. Red Death changed too. Both had references to killing IIRC. I bet it has to do with keeping things under an M rating.

Ohhhh now that you mention it Didn't Red Death say at the end, "it's a guardian killer". I was looking at it yesterday and wondered if I imagined that.

Cornbread78

Alright, leveled my Hawkmoon : 24/10, 17/10 and 23/9 over my last three games; I'm starting to get it though I can't say I don't enjoy the lingering damage of Thorn more : Popping three shots then blinking away to watch them die slowly never gets old.

If anyone needs a Crucible (PS4) partner then count me in : notjaded

Three characters is 27 a week, more when Nightfall rolls coins. I have two and with no engrams, synthesis and anything else worth buying I had 48 coins and 54 Motes by the time Xur rolled around this week.

Well damn dude, that is a lot of work, lol

lupin23rd

Last night I did Vault on hard mode and switched out at Gorgon Chest to another character to get the chest for them as well, and then switched back.

Today I tried to load the VoG hard mode and it said I didn't have access to that content.

Any ideas why this would happen? I did accidentally start VoG on normal before selecting and wondering if I lost the checkpoint, but not sure why I can't go to hard? I'm level 31.

Three characters is 27 a week, more when Nightfall rolls coins. I have two and with no engrams, synthesis and anything else worth buying I had 48 coins and 54 Motes by the time Xur rolled around this week.

Yup, same here. Had 223 coins when xur came wasted some and got down to 193. Im back to 200 tho. Tuesday I'll have 227 or more. I really need to start spending them but i hate wasting something for no reason :/

coy

Last night I did Vault on hard mode and switched out at Gorgon Chest to another character to get the chest for them as well, and then switched back.

Today I tried to load the VoG hard mode and it said I didn't have access to that content.

Any ideas why this would happen? I did accidentally start VoG on normal before selecting and wondering if I lost the checkpoint, but not sure why I can't go to hard? I'm level 31.
Have you completed normal mode with that particular character previously? If not, HM would be unavailable.

Wark

So what's the best way to gear up? I'm nearly LVL 24 and joined a faction. Should ranking up my faction be one of my top priorities?

jadedm17

I personally prefer Hawkmoon over Thorn in PVP. Although both kill in two headshots (thorn needs the DoT), that extra time could give the opponent enough time to kill you or your teammates.

Dot? Thorn feels like a safer bet with a more guaranteed kill. Plus it's hilarious.

Sorry all. I posted on here a bit ago looking for people for the raid, got some in a party, then had an emergency come up and had to run real quick. Feel like a piece of shite getting some people in and taking off without getting a word in :(

kidko

So what's the best way to gear up? I'm nearly LVL 24 and joined a faction. Should ranking up my faction be one of my top priorities?

Faction will only help you if you're playing lots of crucible. If you're mostly doing strikes/missions then you should stick with vanguard (don't wear a faction item) and buy armor from your class's vanguard person

coy

If your Vanguard rank is not at least 2 (even better if it is 3 but 2 is enough for gear), then don't choose a faction yet. Otherwise, you'll be accumulating Vanguard Marks without the reputation to spend them on goods. Factions use Crucible Marks rather than Vanguard ones.

Dot? Thorn feels like a safer bet with a more guaranteed kill. Plus it's hilarious.

DoT = Damage over Time

Mark of the Devourer is an example of this.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I love Thorn, but man the dot in PVP is painfully low. In PVE it's great but in PVP 6 dot hits of 7 HP almost never finishes someone off.

jadedm17

DoT = Damage over Time

Mark of the Devourer is an example of this.

Yea, watching that lingering damage though I find too funny, especially with the confusion blink causes it makes any 1v1 run-in with me incredibly annoying for my opponent which I find hilarious.

Yup, same here. Had 223 coins when xur came wasted some and got down to 193. Im back to 200 tho. Tuesday I'll have 227 or more. I really need to start spending them but i hate wasting something for no reason :/

Heavy synthesis and telemetries are never a waste.

LiK

just purged a bunch of guys from PSN. apologies if you were included. haven't played with some guys here for a while. also mainly deleted people who are no longer active in this thread.

ocean

Banned
Is it me or is Up For Anything a little underwhelming? I have it at 331 but I find TTK in Crota's End to be rather high against everything but Thralls. I can one-shot Acolytes with a HC but despite its RoF, UFA takes a while to bring enemies down :/

Bollocks

lol you probably all know this but a friend just showed me a new cheese method at the bridge where you simply walk all the way back where the sword bearer is coming out from and all the enemies magically despawn.

this raid is such a joke, you can solo the first half in 10m max with little to no effort/skill.
I mean getting past the darkness solo with hunter cloak is just using existing gameplay mechanics to your advantage but that the enemies despawn when you simply walk around the world is something else. even more so that the ogres spawn on the other side even tough no one ever activated the portals there and no one actually killed the sword bearer to even legit get to the other side

shem935

Banned
lol you probably all know this but a friend just showed me a new cheese method at the bridge where you simply walk all the way back where the sword bearer is coming out from and all the enemies magically despawn.

this raid is such a joke, you can solo the first half in 10m max with little to no effort/skill.
I mean getting past the darkness solo with hunter cloak is just using existing gameplay mechanics to your advantage but that the enemies despawn when you simply walk around the world is something else. even more so that the ogres spawn on the other side even tough no one ever activated the portals there and no one actually killed the sword bearer to even legit get to the other side

had not heard this. Going to try it now.

coy

2 legendary engrams in 2 days nets me 2 4th Horsemen. I'll take the shard. I also noticed that for this particular weapon, there is no glimmer cost displayed for either perk. I'd have to level it up first then see if it is free. I cannot recall this on any other weapon let alone an exotic.

2 lazy 4 pics

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Got a legendary engram from daily. Was a chest one. Was hoping to get something for my warlock. It was a Titan chest. Anger rising.

LiK

yea, this was discovered a while ago. people have been using this method for solo runs.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

It is known already. That's how I and many people solo that part. You can actually solo the whole raid. I got as far as up to Crota solo. Never tried taking him on by myself yet.

Saw this yesterday. Can't wait for the next patch. Hopefully they can fix Ruin Wings and the ammo issue too.

Bollocks

It is known already. That's how I and many people solo that part. You can actually solo the whole raid. I got as far as up to Crota solo. Never tried taking him on by myself yet.

yeah my post wasn't so much to tell you about the method but that the method actually exists and works in such a way(ogre spawning on the other side, no sword bearer kills, no portals activated on other side) that you can actually clear the bridge. it just baffles me as a programmer that they don't check that.

e: also did the eris bounty where you need to kill 5 at once with heavy weapons. loaded up the first moon mission, used heavy synthesis, 6 rockets -> cutscene -> 4 rockets ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I thought this happens only upon death.

LiK

yeah my post wasn't so much to tell you about the method but that the method actually exists and works in such a way(ogre spawning on the other side, no sword bearer kills, no portals activated on other side) that you can actually clear the bridge. it just baffles me as a programmer that they don't check that.

considering how their patches can somehow fuck up their games rather than fix them, it doesn't surprise me.

jadedm17

It's insane to me how much a difference running a team in games - namely any FPS - is compared to running solo : Most the teams I faced tonight with a 6-man PvP team (of randoms I'll assume) either got crushed or stopped trying until it was over. I sometimes forget this fact but Gears of War, Halo and Call of Duty have all been the same for me and even better you don't need to be great, just a full team of average people who communicate can demolish most the teams they face by default.

On the same note : Damn random people are stupid, why are basic tactics like keeping part of your body covered so there's less to hit or staying with your team not so basic for most pvp gamers? In COD just keeping your team to your back and partly behind something will make you have a positive KD.

None of that sounds even remotely fun to me IMHO.
To each their own.

Saw this yesterday. Can't wait for the next patch. Hopefully they can fix Ruin Wings and the ammo issue too.

I've found Crotas End to be two things : 1. Too short. 2 Very fun. Just like people who use glitches or controllers to have an unfair advantage I'll never understand the joy of cheesing such a fun raid. (Okay you got the gear, now what? You can't really say you earned it since exploiting a glitch doesn't count.)

shem935

Banned

Holy cow. This is so much easier than the way I usually do it. Thanks for the tip!

kidko

it just baffles me as a programmer that they don't check that.

Consider looking at it another way. This could be a bug sitting on the designer/programmer's plate as we speak, but in triage was considered a non-blocker and allowed to pass in order to meet the deadline. This happens aaaalllllll the time in game dev.

Top Bottom