• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

Shito

I can't do this. Not today rawr. I have work to do.
I chuckled. :)
Not so long, though, see:

Really? As far as I can tell there are just two uses for the ice breaker right now. Sniping oracles on hard VoG and cheesing heavy ammo for Crota. In every other situation black hammer is gonna be more useful. Has more impact too.
Black Hammer is a beast, but it doesn't have infinite ammos, nor does it provide infinite ammos for all of your other special weapons.
For the billionth time: it's not about Ice Breaker OR, but Ice Breaker AND.
Ice Breaker is useful even when you're not using it, if only to provide ammos to the other special weapons you preferred using instead.

TheOddOne

All I want now is David Cross to be the voice of my Ghost. :-(
D3ggX9iWqOHza.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Really? As far as I can tell there are just two uses for the ice breaker right now. Sniping oracles on hard VoG and cheesing heavy ammo for Crota. In every other situation black hammer is gonna be more useful. Has more impact too.
Every strike involves hiding in a hole/room/ledge and cheesing the boss from a distance. Fine when there's a burn, but if there isn't, then having infinite ammo saves you from burning through synths.

The game is basically made for either Icebreaker of Gjallarhorn.

patchday

best decision I made was buying three, almost have all three leveled up now

I'm not sure but I don't think I've ever paid for Ice breaker. normally the game gives me all my guns from NFs and Raids. I think only gun I ever paid for is No Land Beyond so I can cheese, cough

* And even a 2nd NLB dropped from the raid for me last week.

I feel like im on a deserted island starving

Day: 21

Xur didn't have heavy ammo for the 3rd week in a row. Nor sure how much longer I can last. My supply is dangerous ly low and Bungie still hasnt fixed the bug.

patchday

I feel like im on a deserted island starving

Day: 21

Xur didn't have heavy ammo for the 3rd week in a row. Nor sure how much longer I can last. My supply is dangerous ly low and Bungie still hasnt fixed the bug.

Later tonight hoping a nice GAF will float me the GK Glimmer farm checkpoint. I spent all my beads leveling up my Hunter. Don't get me started bout that! I was so pissed I ahd to spend glim on green armor at vendor so I can get wires to upgrade my raid armor nodes! Spent all my savings.. Flat broke.

I picked one up on a whim, and promptly returned it. It's called Playstation TV, but it doesn't have any TV apps. And, you can't even stream Netflix or Amazon from the PS4 through it. It had a bunch of other weird things like I would have to go to the living room and log on to my account on the PS4 before I could play Destiny on the PSTV upstairs. It also looked like it was tied to my account, and the kids couldn't use it to remote play on their accounts (not sure since I returned it and didn't look too hard for a solution).
Yeah it's not a Fire TV or Roku competitor, even though Netflix reps hinted that we'd get Netflix for it eventually. There's literally no reason that Netflix doesn't just work on it automatically in the first place, except for maybe resolution concerns.

You must have had something set up wrong in terms of using your PS4 first. My PS4 can be in standby and I start up remote play on the PS TV and it turns on the PS4 and I can use it normally. Same with Vita remote play.

You are correct that it is one account per PS TV. Your kids would not be able to use it with their accounts without resetting it every time.

noomi

Works great with Destiny. I use it to play in the bedroom. Would like to have one for work, if I could get away with it.

The only thing is I won't be able to hardwire the PSTV to an internet connection, it will have to be through wireless. However, my PS4 is hardwired.... I'm afraid the input lag and quality will suffer and make it unplayable for me.

Either way, it's rumored to be $40, or $50 with a dualshock 4 so the deal will be great. Just unsure if I will actually be able to enjoy it through wireless....

Shito

We should have another 10 page discussion whether people should only buy one or multiple Icebreakers.
Probably why Bungie made Xur sell it again in the first place: if it can't make us play the game, at least they know it can make us talk.
At least for Ice Breaker you get stories of "I remember when I first got mine". Compared to when NLB is being sold, well... ^^

We should have another 10 page discussion whether people should only buy one or multiple Icebreakers.

I just returned from to the game after a lenthy layoff, and as I said earlier, only have 2 exotics total, so of course the first weekend I have plenty of coins... already a repeat.

That said, I only have one, and when Im doing my nightfalls and weeklys, go back to the tower each time to trade it off. Actually thinking of just going ahead and picking up 2 more just to save time for future Tuesdays.

We'll see!

rNilla

Sure, why not? We've passed the complain-about-the-weekly-update-and-everything-else-we-don't-like-about-the-game portion so it's only natural to move on to the next discussion in the DestinyGAF OT cycle. Someone should make a circle chart for this because it's like clockwork.

Yeah it's not a Fire TV or Roku competitor, even though Netflix reps hinted that we'd get Netflix for it eventually. There's literally no reason that Netflix doesn't just work on it automatically in the first place, except for maybe resolution concerns.

You must have had something set up wrong in terms of using your PS4 first. My PS4 can be in standby and I start up remote play on the PS TV and it turns on the PS4 and I can use it normally. Same with Vita remote play.

You are correct that it is one account per PS TV. Your kids would not be able to use it with their accounts without resetting it every time.

Do you have multiple accounts on your PS4?

The only thing is I won't be able to hardwire the PSTV to an internet connection, it will have to be through wireless. However, my PS4 is hardwired.... I'm afraid the input lag and quality will suffer and make it unplayable for me.

Either way, it's rumored to be $40, or $50 with a dualshock 4 so the deal will be great. Just unsure if I will actually be able to enjoy it through wireless....
It will not come with a Dualshock 4, it won't even come with a Dualshock 3. It's not the bundle that they show, which comes with a DS3 and the Lego Movie video game, but just the vanilla model with nothing else.

I play remote play fine with my Vita over wi-fi and even from work over wi-fi + internet, so I'm sure it'll be fine, it's just way preferable to wire it up. It still has noticeable input lag even over wired that you need to learn to compensate for, but I do all right with it even on multiplayer.
Do you have multiple accounts on your PS4?
No.

So yesterday some of us did a Crota HM kill without a Titan. 4 Hunters/2 Warlocks.

Since I was running the sword, and some of you didn't quite understand what I was doing. Here it is very specifically.

1) Don't attack. It seems that aggro spreads to Crota and the Boomers if you attack anything outside the crystal room. This means you can't attack the Swordbearer.

2) Pop your super around the time people start really laying into the Swordbearer and go invis to run to the sword. Try to time it so that you get to the sword bearer around the time he dies. If he's moved too far to the left or right, let your invis wear off for a moment and then press R2 again before you run out of super. This should let the Swordbearer aggro you and move out to the center more so your team can kill him.

3) Take the sword and jump up to the rocks. Start your countdown and start crouching for stealth at the same time. If you are already stealth from your super, crouch anyway. They work independently from each other, and you can chain stealth from one into the other without popping out.

4) When you shout fire you should already be jumping up to the platform. Being stealth lets you get up there a little early. Don't attack Crota from the sides, but rather from behind. You want to use as much physical cover as you can to ensure the Boomers don't start shooting at you.

5) Run inside crystal room for Orbs between swords. If you don't have a super ready when you need to take the sword, don't worry too much. it isn't vital, just jump down a little later than you normally would.

You know what, that "inherently boring" comment from the developer CE stream really irks me. Being able to camp up on some ledge that probably shouldn't have been reachable in the first place, is not "inherently boring." What is inherently boring is having the same 2 to 3 story missions as the dailies over and over again. What is inherently boring is having to farm glimmer over and over, because Xur never sells syth any more. What is even more boring is doing the exact same bounties (actually we have even less bounties than when Destiny first launched. Some bounties, like kill 3 fallen walkers, have been removed) over and over again. Don't put a arbitrary enemy in an arbitrary place just to save us from something you perceive as, "inherently boring." How about just add 10 new bounties!? Fucking anything to make the game less repetitive.

Xur not selling heavy ammo this week is a perfect indictment of Bungie being completely unable to react to the community in a reasonable amount of time (unless it's something benefitting them like making Queen's Wrath gear not give ascendant mats in the middle of the week). Like ok. I get it. Somehow the code is so wrecked that it's taking 5 months to fix the heavy ammo bug. But in the meantime there are SO many relatively easy options to alleviate the community's frustration about it.

• Lower the price of HA Synths (either at Gunsmith or Eris or both)
  • Tack them on as a reward to at least one bounty a day
  • Tack them on as a guaranteed reward for Dailies
  • Tack them on as a reward for doing Public Events
  • GUARANTEE XUR SELLS THEM EVERY WEEK
Etc etc. I don't want to hear about how you don't have control of Xur. We KNOW you have control of Xur. He is not some rogue sentient program that you created and left to his own devices to fuck with us every week. In the end, you (Bungie) have the power to make him sell HA Synth, which is something everyone seems to agree is the LEAST you could do at the moment as a mea culpa, and for some reason you refuse to. Why?

So yesterday some of us did a Crota HM kill without a Titan. 4 Hunters/2 Warlocks.

Since I was running the sword, and some of you didn't quite understand what I was doing. Here it is very specifically.

1) Don't attack. It seems that aggro spreads to Crota and the Boomers if you attack anything outside the crystal room. This means you can't attack the Swordbearer.

2) Pop your super around the time people start really laying into the Swordbearer and go invis to run to the sword. Try to time it so that you get to the sword bearer around the time he dies. If he's moved too far to the left or right, let your invis wear off for a moment and then press R2 again before you run out of super. This should let the Swordbearer aggro you and move out to the center more so your team can kill him.

3) Take the sword and jump up to the rocks. Start your countdown and start crouching for stealth at the same time. If you are already stealth from your super, crouch anyway. They work independently from each other, and you can chain stealth from one into the other without popping out.

4) When you shout fire you should already be jumping up to the platform. Being stealth lets you get up there a little early. Don't attack Crota from the sides, but rather from behind. You want to use as much physical cover as you can to ensure the Boomers don't start shooting at you.

5) Run inside crystal room for Orbs between swords. If you don't have a super ready when you need to take the sword, don't worry too much. it isn't vital, just jump down a little later than you normally would.

Yeah, that run went very smoothly even without a titan. I understood what the plan was, but I do have questions. When do your start laying into Crota, what combo do you use, and do you jump/R1 away after the second sword our just run off the edge?

Iceman829

Xur not selling heavy ammo this week is a perfect indictment of Bungie being completely unable to react to the community in a reasonable amount of time (unless it's something benefitting them like making Queen's Wrath gear not give ascendant mats in the middle of the week). Like ok. I get it. Somehow the code is so wrecked that it's taking 5 months to fix the heavy ammo bug. But in the meantime there are SO many relatively easy options to alleviate the community's frustration about it.

Etc etc. I don't want to hear about how you don't have control of Xur. We KNOW you have control of Xur. He is not some rogue sentient program that you created and left to his own devices to fuck with us every week. In the end, you (Bungie) have the power to make him sell HA Synth, which is something everyone seems to agree is the LEAST you could do at the moment as a mea culpa, and for some reason you refuse to. Why?

Please buy our DLC for $20 or included free with your season pass. Thank you for your feedback guardian.

rNilla

Or just disable the Heavy Ammo perk for the time being like they did for Hive Disruptor. Granted it's a bit more complicated than that since it's not a perk that's unique to a single weapon.

_Legacy_

For some bizarre reason,I decided to buy a Lucky Raspberry exotic over an Ice Breaker a few weeks back. After daily taunts and jibes from my friends, I am glad to finally to get that monkey off my back. I bought 4 just to make a statement (and I've got tons of coins but nothing to spend them on).

Troll week for those chasing the almighty GG Horn though. I just don't see Bungie selling it (not buying that 'random' baloney) anytime soon, once everyone gets one, I reckon they would leave Destiny until HOW drops.

I really feel like Bungie has disdain for the hardcore players and that they only care about getting the most casuals in.

Or just disable the Heavy Ammo perk for the time being like they did for Hive Disruptor. Granted it's a bit more complicated than that since it's not a perk that's unique to a single weapon.

Or adjust glimmer rewards like upping the percentage you receive across the board a bit or at least up the percentage that glimmer items give. SO many things they could be doing.

Anastasis

Why couldn't Xur be more like the NBA lottery? Still any weapon could be for sale, but the chance at rolling those items that have never or rarely sold would be higher. Aren't they already doing something similar in the loot table of Crota's End?

Sullichin

Only thing Xur has for me is upgrades for SGA and P&T, both of which are not worth upgrading. Might get Alpha Lupi chest just for the collection.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I keep looking for reasons to play this game....and Im not finding answers. Back to learning to speedrun Super Metroid...
don't look for reasons. just play if you want to and don't if you don't.
Hawkian and and other GW2 players: how do you feel about this news?
A few things:

1) The main narrative in Guild Wars 2 is atrocious. From your link: "If you played Guild Wars 2, you know that it actually has a good story." What...? I'll grant that it at least exists, in a broader sense than the "story" in Destiny.
2) John Ryan is not the head story writer for ArenaNet. Did the person posting just seriously make that up? I don't get it, why even include the phrase "head story writer" in your post unless it was something you'd verified?
3) He's not being hired as a writer. He's being hired as an "editor/loremaster." Both Bungie and ArenaNet seem to fall way short of constructing compelling narratives, while they excel at world-building and creating ancillary lore that far outclasses the mainline stories in their universes; the player just unfortunately needs to seek all of this out for themselves. Even the quality of the prose in the Grimoire is already pretty solid.

Basically I feel nothing about it. He's being brought onboard in an area that is already strong and may contribute to it admirably, but I have no faith whatsoever in ever getting a compelling narrative out of Destiny.
Sounds good. Everyone is so pissed off about Xur all the time (and I understand why) but I'm so far behind in this game that I'm just now buying my first exotic and I'm pretty excited about it.
no kidding. bowl me over with a spoon. shame that you're the only person playing destiny for whom this applies.

Iceman829

Any guesses on what's cooking for Strikes in update 1.1.1?

We have been listening to your comments and would love to announce that starting next week we will be adding a primary ammo synthesis drop to each completed roc strike mission. Guardians will now longer have to worry about running out of ammo for the coveted No Land Beyond during the hard mode Crota battle. Good luck everyone!

In week two or three Bungie altered Xur's offering on the fly after he was already in town. They have 100% control over him (they removed the one time strange coin you could buy). Is someone hand picking each item every week, no, and that is what they mean by they don't "control" him. Is Xur choosing from a limited pool Bungie sets, with different weight to different items? Can Bungie alter this pool and item weight at any time they please? 100%. Their condescending and patronizing tone is what drives me bonkers.

patchday

You know what, that "inherently boring" comment from the developer CE stream really irks me. Being able to camp up on some ledge that probably shouldn't have been reachable in the first place, is not "inherently boring." What is inherently boring is having the same 2 to 3 story missions as the dailies over and over again. What is inherently boring is having to farm glimmer over and over, because Xur never sells syth any more. What is even more boring is doing the exact same bounties (actually we have even less bounties than when Destiny first launched. Some bounties, like kill 3 fallen walkers, have been removed) over and over again. Don't put a arbitrary enemy in an arbitrary place just to save us from something you perceive as, "inherently boring." How about just add 10 new bounties!? Fucking anything to make the game less repetitive.

Yeah the PVE is crazy redundant. So I'd love to go kick it in Crucible more to break out the repitition. But that is frakked too. Everytime I try to do the TDB Clash playlist I get dropped into Skyshock. 100% lately. So I end up getting frustrated and play something else for pvp or settle for non-TDB maps. But that sucks cause I purchased the expansion just for the raid and pvp maps :(

Or fuck, increase heavy ammo drop rate in that little Crystal room. It's straight up bad design expecting all us to be walking around with 100 heavy ammo syths for this battle. Granted, with Gaf I am only using up to 3 at most on HM Crota. But that's because I'm usually the distration titan my dps not needed. But it would suck if I was a dps role.

I'm quaking in my boots thinking what I'm gonna do with my hunter. He's L32 now. That means I'll be bringing him to down HM crota. I'll probably be expected to DPS now <shudders>

At least for now our guardian angel at Bungie gave us the glitch.

Yeah, that run went very smoothly even without a titan. I understood what the plan was, but I do have questions. When do your start laying into Crota, what combo do you use, and do you jump/R1 away after the second sword our just run off the edge?

It's a bit of context really. I've found that if I just strictly use R2 then my pacing gets off. Instead, I usually help get his shield down with an R1+R1+R2 combo, followed by 2 R2 slams. I just like the pacing for it better, but I haven't done the specific math.

After the second sword, again, it's all context. I try to keep myself behind Crota as much as possible, so that dictates what direction I run. If I have the choice, I run towards the side that my teammates didn't use, so that the Boomers aren't bombarding the doorframe. Lately, I've been strictly running off the side instead of the jump/swing. When I jump swing, I kept getting cleaved from behind and I think my Multi-Tool gives me the speed I need to get off the platform faster.

E92 M3

In week two or three Bungie altered Xur's offering on the fly after he was already in town. They have 100% control over him (they removed the one time strange coin you could buy). Is someone hand picking each item every week, no, and that is what they mean by they don't "control" him. Is Xur choosing from a limited pool Bungie sets, with different weight to different items? Can Bungie alter this pool and item weight at any time they please? 100%. Their condescending and patronizing tone is what drives me bonkers.

They're stuck thinking this is an offline game that doesn't have a living, breathing - and sometimes - thriving community that requires them to be quick and reactive. Indie devs do this so much better.

Top Bottom