• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
wonder if I can get my titan to 32 before raiding time tonight...

edit: oh yeah, what armor is for sale at IB anyway?

stb

No worries. Ok Devil it looks like you're back in!

Updated roster

1. Haybro_
2. STB
3. STB's Friend
4. Dave_6
5. Grip
6. devilsadvocat

I think just about everyone is already on my FL, so I'll send the party invite around 8.

Thanks for the run(s) yesterday, guys. It was buttery smooth and a good time was (apparently) had by all.

From the first run, I snagged:
- energies instead of shards
- third set of boots (better roll this time, int and str; previous rolls had been pure str then pure dis) so I guess that's some shards
- second Hunger of Crota (will keep for alt)
- helmet with infusion!
- and when we went to orbit Plan C popped. I already had it, but it was the OG 300 version, so I'm gonna count that as a free xurpgrade AND shard(s).

From the second run:
- literally nothing

I only have one character at raid levels, and didn't realize we were going to run the whole thing again. When someone mentioned doing it again with alts, I thought they just meant the Crota kill. When we dropped back in at the Abyss I said "fuck it, let's do it" because the first run went so smooth. Second run was even faster, I think.

I saw some folks pull some decent exotics (Thunderlord and Ghorn) and at least one Black Hammer dropped.

After 2 full CE's, The Two Daves (Dave_6 and my pal) and I did NF and WH.

There's no excuse for how tedious that NF was. It's like they had a meeting about how they could make the LEAST fun NF. What'd we get for it? Dave_6 got Ruin Wings (already had them, but I think these had a better roll), and I got Sunbreakers (was playing titan, and my Warlock is only level 14). BAH!

The WH was much faster. The only notable loot was Dave_6's purple special engram that turned into energies, of course.

Anyway, good runs. I'd like to get a regular group doing this Tuesday evenings; it'd be great to count on a ~45 minute full raid, then knock out NF and WH.

EL CUCO

We were. The thralls weren't really the problem. The strike was taking ages and we made a small mistake as it was getting a bit monotonous. To pay for that mistake we had to spend another 30 fucking mins getting there
I concur.

The fact that there's no burn with Angry and Lightswitch forces you to play it careful. It makes it all extremely tedious.

Gordon

Thralls?

Use the cheese spot, and you never have to worry about adds. Bring a Titan bubble and you can murder her pretty fast.

The only irritating thing about the Omnigul fight is how long her final phases can take, and how many other wizards she spawns.
Don't forget your Abyss Defiant if you have one - works on Omnigul and destroys her little solar-shielded buddies. I had her in a pretty good position; strip her shield with an arc fusion rifle (one shot - easy peasy), pin her down with the Abyss until it procs, and then introduce her to my Dragon Breath. Alternatively Titans can hop up and drop a bubble on her bridge and the kindly Saint-14 poops all over that party. Half the time she stalls out in the bubble so you can just stand there and smack her or pull out your favourite shotty if you feel so inclined lol (imagine that - using a shotgun on a nightfall boss)

stb

Yep that was me; it was my 2nd one. Congrats on finally getting one though!!!

Other than that, my drops tonight have been SHIT.

Ran three Gorgon CPs and got shards, energy, a duplicate Warlock bond and a duplicate Titan mark.

Two full NM CE runs, other than shards and energy, got a duplicate chest piece for my Titan, a 2nd ballerhorn and that's it. No helm for either character and no other weapons or exotics.

One NF and weekly netted me a 2nd pair of Ruin Wings with worse stats than my first one, and that's it. :/

Helm of Saint 14, Thunderlord and Red Death are going to elude me for the longest it seems...

Hey, at least you had AMAZING company.

When is the train starting up? I need to get my mind off the nightfall bullshit by getting involved with laggy bullshit. .

edit:
Any iron banner trains leaving the station this morning? Asking for my lurking pal T-44.

Afaik there's still people going now, check with Bitsurugi if you see him online. I'd been going for a while, and I really really hate losing so a break was needed after our streak was snapped, haha. :)

Also... did somebody say lag? Tastes great in PvE and PvP flavors:

And for his next magic trick, Scrota will be teleporting...

TornRectangularGoral.gif

Imagine how much fun Iron Banner would be on LAN connections. GG P2P matchmaking, gg.

m2Eabx.gif

B-F2tnAIYAAhByO.jpg:large

LTWood12

edit:

Afaik there's still people going now, check with Bitsurugi if you see him online. I'd been going for a while, and I really really hate losing so a break was needed after our streak was snapped, haha. :)

Also... did somebody say lag? Tastes great in PvE and PvP flavors:

And for his next magic trick, Scrota will be teleporting...

TornRectangularGoral.gif

Imagine how much fun Iron Banner would be on LAN connections. GG P2P matchmaking, gg.

m2Eabx.gif

B-F2tnAIYAAhByO.jpg:large

Thanks Bogue. And good grief you are like the Encarta of Crota Bullshit.

stb

While doing my morning catch-up reading the last few pages, it seems like an inordinate amount of Hawkmoons and Ghorns have dropped since reset.

I know it sounds crazy, but I can't help but don my tinfoil hat and posit a stealth drop rate buff for at least those.

Hey, sorry about last night. I was way too tired and completely underestimated how pissed off the enemies would be.

Haha, no worries. Ditto on that one. That was my third NF and I was being so sloppy because I was so sick of her shit. When those thralls got us out of nowhere, I knew it was time to call it a night.

RdN

Finally reached Level 3 with Eris Moon.

Is it worth to buy the Embalming Orb in order to upgrade the Husk of the Pit to its legendary sibling?

Gordon

Random anecdote: Last night I was looking for somebody to run the nightfall with in tower. Some level 31 dude who randomly sent me a FR a few days ago (that I declined - I don't add people I've never played with) spawned in right on top of me. He obviously recognized me and started pointing and dancing. I sent him a message asking if he was interested in the nightfall and he said that he was. He joined me and after a few minutes we went to orbit. Now I was on my alt who hasn't unlocked Omnigul yet, so I told him that and passed him host, asking him to load it up. He didn't reply, and after a couple minutes he passed host back to me. So I sat there looking for a buddy to get me in, and after having no luck for about 20 minutes I said, "Listen, I'll be right back. I just need to switch to my main to get us in and then I'll back out and rejoin with my alt." to which he replies, "Um, I don't have the DLC. Do I need the DLC for that?"

tl;dr Bungie need to start including game manuals - noobs are hitting 31 in days and sitting there like deer in the headlights with an unleveled TLW and a fucking blue rocket launcher wondering what the fuck a "burn" is

Rhaegar

Only if you want the Necrochasm. None of the 3 are really viable weapons, IMO.

Although for whatever reason I ran into a fair number of Necros in IB yesterday and was getting torn up. I chalked it up to my terrible play rather than the assumption that gun might actually be worth a damn.

While doing my morning catch-up reading the last few pages, it seems like an inordinate amount of Hawkmoons and Ghorns have dropped since reset.

I know it sounds crazy, but I can't help but don my tinfoil hat and posit a stealth drop rate buff for at least those.

Eh, i did see 1 Ghorn drop, but i have seen a shit ton of No Land Beyond drop yesterday. Mine included.

E92 M3

Although for whatever reason I ran into a fair number of Necros in IB yesterday and was getting torn up. I chalked it up to my terrible play rather than the assumption that gun might actually be worth a damn.

Need to try that out lol. Most likely will go back to Thorn though, lol.

Dave_6

Hey, at least you had AMAZING company.

Yep, the best thing about all of it! All those crappy drops kinda took the wind outta my sails though. I did help someone on my friends list out late with another weekly but didn't get shit for it either.

I need to run two more NFs but not sure if I want to bother with it tonight. Maybe tomorrow night and then I'll have the Order Friday to try out.

Eh, i did see 1 Ghorn drop.

I got a 2nd one from the Deathsinger last night and someone else on here got their first one.

Well, it does have a higher attack stat than any other weapon in the game currently. So it's got that going for it... which is nice.

Shito

Eh, i did see 1 Ghorn drop, but i have seen a shit ton of No Land Beyond drop yesterday. Mine included.
I got a Universal Remote (my second one) yesterday, so I can't believe in those crazy "they buffed the drop rate of Hawkmoon and CraveHorn!!" theories.
I don't even believe exotics have different weights to them: it's all pure and stupid RNG, guys.

Manp

tl;dr Bungie need to start including game manuals - noobs are hitting 31 in days and sitting there like deer in the headlights with an unleveled TLW and a fucking blue rocket launcher wondering what the fuck a "burn" is

i ran many NFs with people using random weapons which had nothing to do with the active burn.

i usually message them saying "i think you should use a solar/void/arc weapon instead" to which they usually reply "uh, you think so?"

yeah, Bungie... never explain shit, that's going to work so well :|

Don't forget your Abyss Defiant if you have one - works on Omnigul and destroys her little solar-shielded buddies. I had her in a pretty good position; strip her shield with an arc fusion rifle (one shot - easy peasy), pin her down with the Abyss until it procs, and then introduce her to my Dragon Breath. Alternatively Titans can hop up and drop a bubble on her bridge and the kindly Saint-14 poops all over that party. Half the time she stalls out in the bubble so you can just stand there and smack her or pull out your favourite shotty if you feel so inclined lol (imagine that - using a shotgun on a nightfall boss)

That's a good idea. I will have to remember to use my Defiant next time. Would have been helpful.

My team just implemented a strategy of liberal use of Gjallarhorn. Not just at Omnigul, bit all the way through. I don't remember ever using like a half dozen Heavy Synth on a Nightfall before, but it was worth it to speed things up.

Rhaegar

Well, it does have a higher attack stat than any other weapon in the game currently. So it's got that going for it... which is nice.

Yeah, made me and my Vex feel very inadequate. That and the approximately 1 million Invectives I got 1 shotted by from across the map made for a very good time.

I got a Universal Remote (my second one) yesterday, so I can't believe in those crazy "they buffed the drop rate of Hawkmoon and CraveHorn!!" theories.
I don't even believe exotics have different weights to them: it's all pure and stupid RNG, guys.

I know, just fun to talk shit about it. I am sure every exotic i equal weighting.

I do believe that there may be hidden thresholds and triggers effecting the probability of getting an exotic, but what it will be is pure RNG.

JerryEveryday

Neo Member
Ran the Nightfall last night and got a useless Machine Gun. Made it to rank 2 in Iron Banner. Had some bad matches but finally settle down and won a bunch in a row. I don't think I can make it to rank 5. I just can't stomach it.

Ha... hahahaha...

I've got one more NF, two HM Crotas, and three HM Atheons left. If I get the Horn this week, finally, I will shard an exotic of GAFs choosing.

stb

Check the last few pages. GAFfers have netted like a dozen (SOME hyperbole) combined ghorns and hawkmoons the last few days.

Yep, the best thing about all of it! All those crappy drops kinda took the wind outta my sails though. I did help someone on my friends list out late with another weekly but didn't get shit for it either.

I need to run two more NFs but not sure if I want to bother with it tonight. Maybe tomorrow night and then I'll have the Order Friday to try out.

I love you, Dave, but I'm not setting foot in that NF again this week. I'm not sure I would have been able to stick with it if Verde hadn't had his warlock res ready the few times we should have wiped.

I can't play on Wednesdays, but I'll probably be doing IB and/or trying to get a full HM CE going Friday evening, Saturday afternoon/evening, Sunday afternoon, and Monday night.

Shito

I know, just fun to talk shit about it. I am sure every exotic i ewual weighting.

I do believe that there may be hidden thresholds and triggers effecting the probability of getting an exotic, but what it will be is pure RNG.
That's what I think as well.
And even then, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that nightfall rewards are just a dice roll to decide on which type of reward you will get (mats, coins, legendary or exotic), and another dice roll to decide on which one / how much.

Yeah, they definitely need a better manual, but that would require people to read it. The game may be fairly obtuse in a lot if ways, but mission modifiers are pretty straight forward. I would put a lot of the onus on people to read what is plainly on the screen and hold them to that. A lot of dense folks out there unfortunately. That's why I try to stick to GAF, they are generally above average and high information players.

Ambitious

I just played the Nexus strike for the Sekrion bounty and did not get the bounty. Why's that? I was down in the arena while the other two stayed up top. One of them killed Sekrion. Don't tell me it only counts if either I kill him myself or be in close vicinity to the player who does.

E92 M3

Ran the Nightfall last night and got a useless Machine Gun. Made it to rank 2 in Iron Banner. Had some bad matches but finally settle down and won a bunch in a row. I don't think I can make it to rank 5. I just can't stomach it.

The bonuses are really high over the weekend. It goes quicker than you think.

If it was any other Nightfall, i would ask for some kind soul to carry my baby level 20->27 Titan through Nightfall, but I wouldn't impose that on anyone this week. Hopefully I can get to 29 or 30 by next week.

I just played the Nexus strike for the Sekrion bounty and did not get the bounty. Why's that? I was down in the arena while the other two stayed up top. One of them killed Sekrion. Don't tell me it only counts if either I kill him myself or be in close vicinity to the player who does.

Well... sort of. Close vicinity isn't really close, it's the entire arena for the boss. However, if people are outside the arena and kill him, then yes, you don't get credit.

stb

That's what I think as well.
And even then, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that nightfall rewards are just a dice roll to decide on which type of reward you will get (mats, coins, legendary or exotic), and another dice roll to decide on which one / how much.

It'd be AMAZING if they did bonkers, short term events where they flip some of these calculations. Calculate the number of things, then what sort of thing, then which thing. E.g. you could get 1 ascendent energy or 11 exotic weapons.

I know it sounds silly, but the amount of energy something like that would inject into the community would be incredible. Even if it was something where you had to spend some sort of currency (coins or motes) to get that sort of slot pull and/or that calculation is only used for a NF some week (new modifier "Golden").

Actually, I'd love to see them let us use the motes or coins to influence the rolls at the end anyway. Let someone dump 10 strange coins to make the chance of an exotic 90%; it's not going to hurt anything.

EDIT: additional modifier: "Superman": supers recharge twice as fast or with one orb. It'd be hilarious.

I wish they'd have some fun instead of being the "no fun allowed" robot all the time.

Top Bottom