• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT32| Driviks and Draksis (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Ophelion

This game hates giving me antiquated runes; damn this RNG =/

Haven't seen a single one either. My brother has one, but he hasn't been on all week. Dumb jerk gets all the lucky drops and he doesn't even play that much. Life just isn't fair, ya know?

All black spindles will be set to 290 in a future update, so don't try to infuse your 310 into a lower BS and hope to preserve it at 307 or 308
https://twitter.com/Cozmo23/status/646864818603823105?lang=en

You should however be able to infuse it into ANOTHER weapon, then bunny hop your extra 290 BS to 307 or 308 with the throwaway weapon you used.

That also means take any specials you have now and infuse them with your extra 300 BS from the blue ipad, as they will all go from 300 to 290 when the patch hits (no ETA).

Sucks for anyone who took a 300 BS and infused a 310 raid weapon on it, you lose!

Mrcapcom

So I finally have around 150 Legendary marks what do you guys suggest I buy? I have all of Year 1 Exotics Armor and Weapons and nothing Year 2.

DjRalford

Holy shit guys. After running round the moon for an hour doing the exotic sword quest, auto reset on melee kill for the win, I had a legendry engram drop. It only turned into telesto!

E92 M3

All black spindles will be set to 290 in a future update, so don't try to infuse your 310 into a lower BS and hope to preserve it at 307 or 308

You should however be able to infuse it into ANOTHER weapon, then bunny hop your extra 290 BS to 307 or 308 with the throwaway weapon you used.

That also means take any specials you have now and infuse them with your extra 300 BS from the blue ipad, as they will all go from 300 to 290 when the patch hits (no ETA).

Sucks for anyone who took a 300 BS and infused a 310 raid weapon on it, you lose!

I am still wondering how their change will affect a BH that has been infused with another. Maybe there will be a check for infusion?

did he successfully summon meteor? is the traveler the meteor?

oh god......

FFVII_Super_Nova.png

Not sure if I'll ever finish it, I constantly get shotguns to my face.

in one game when i was doing mine I was hiding under the bridge on one of the new maps, cant remember what its called. and some other guy was doing the exact same thing. we got into hilt fights quite a bit under that bridge, like a good old fashioned gang knife fight. right out of west side story.

ocean

Banned
To our Bungie dev lurkers: I've been vocal about how shitty it was that you acted more quickly on stuff like 3 of Coins or nerfing the Light on a gun that fixing the Moments of Triumph bug.

I'm extremely happy to say I was wrong about you guys this time :) well done.

I'll wear my Emblem proudly. Once everybody on my friends list gets tired of it of course.

FeD.nL

So a crafted one won't be set to 280? Well that's somehing I guess.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My answer to this is simple: you're comparing the grind of planetary mat farming which was something you needed to do constantly to upgrade gear. This is so because the acquisition of gear is ongoing, so that grind was also ongoing.

This is a one time item quest and while you may view it as unimaginative I don't agree with your view that it's a baffling repeat of something Bungie acknowledged was a mistake.

I think your alternative of grinding rep to get this is puzzling. There is so much of that in the game now where rep on a faction leads to rewards, why add this to that enormous pool? I like that it's a different activity and I don't think that everything in Destiny needs to come as a result of killing things.

I don't see it as offensive at all, and I do see it as a different activity rather than killing to fill a meter with XP to get something. The entire game does that already.

Besides, those chests that hold the flakes also encourage the exploration aspect of the game to find other things and other chests that are openened in various ways. Without the 'run around and explore' element, we'd be confined to fairly small spaces to kill things.
This is an interesting post.

I think Bungie's idea here is that Patrol is simply meant to be one of many enjoyable activities in Destiny. You're meant to realize you have a reason to be on patrol in a certain area, fly down, run around, string together beacon missions, participate in public events and random area events, gathering materials and opening chests as you go all while gaining currency and rep. Ideally there would be lots of stuff to do to keep it from getting boring- it'll be repetitive by definition but can be quite varied.

The new patrol mission types (overcharge race and Blights) are a nice step toward this goal, and 3oC is a big one too- any Ultra that spawns out on patrol can potentially be a new exotic! The Dreadnaught in general is also a huge step toward this vision. There are area events ending in Ultra bosses (pop dat coin!) that are triggered by individual players who've found certain tokens while running around. There are puzzles to come across and get distracted by. There are lore secrets to uncover. There's the Court of Oryx you can stumble onto to help out on the way from one destination to another. There are TONS of engram drops. I can really see what they were going for- and it's commendable. Creating "non-mission" spaces, with only open-ended or "resource gathering" objectives, in an FPS is a tough freaking sell, and the fact that you can have even a moment of fun at all is an accomplishment.

However, it still isn't quite there yet.

The biggest example is of course what we're talking about right now- when the reason you have to head down to the Dreadnaught or wherever is because you need X planetary materials to progress a quest or upgrade an item... the pull of simply (as expressed many times now) "running in circles, opening chests as you seen them spawn and ignoring everything else there is to do on patrol is far too strong. Rather than being incidental material gathering as you do things that are more fun, it becomes "the thing you're doing" at the expense of other things.

It's fixable, though not easily. I think a great start would be rewarding hadium flakes for a beacon mission "streak" on the Dreadnaught. Like, say you do a patrol mission and complete it- just your standard reward. But now a "Mission Streak" timer of 30 seconds or something pops up on your screen. If you can start another mission before the timer expires, completing it will give you 1 hadium flake and start another timer. Grab another mission before that one expires, and completing it gets you 2 flakes. And so on, maybe capping out at 4 or 5 such that the 6th, 7th, mission etc. would continue giving you the same lower number of flakes just to keep the rate of acquisition from becoming too totally trivial. Then you can of course grab any chests you encounter along the way. Event bosses, and Court of Oryx completion, should have a chance at a flake or two as well.

That way, needing flakes would be more of an excuse to "get down there and do stuff" as intended, rather than incentivizing the tedious farming of chests over all the great stuff they put down there.

Kaiken

Banned
Used an Antiquated Rune yesterday as a friend and I saw three other people near the CoO. Not one of them knew the mechanic. So frustrating to waste one of those. I have another one I may use later today. I'll grab one of you guys when ready.

I dont know if I find it funny or appalling, that the ABSOLUTE best QOL change bungie ever made was the planet mat farming. now they seemed to revert. I just cant.....

chur

Used an Antiquated Rune yesterday as a friend and I saw three other people near the CoO. Not one of them knew the mechanic. So frustrating to waste one of those. I have another one I may use later today. I'll grab one of you guys when ready.
If you fail the event you keep the rune.

spyder_ur

I don't think you lose them. Someone here can confirm.

LiK

This is an interesting post.

I think Bungie's idea here is that Patrol is simply meant to be one of many enjoyable activities in Destiny. You're meant to realize you have a reason to be on patrol in a certain area, fly down, run around, string together beacon missions, participate in public events and random area events, gathering materials and opening chests as you go all while gaining currency and rep. Ideally there would be lots of stuff to do to keep it from getting boring- it'll be repetitive by definition but can be quite varied.

The new patrol mission types (overcharge race and Blights) are a nice step toward this goal, and 3oC is a big one too- any Ultra that spawns out on patrol can potentially be a new exotic! The Dreadnaught in general is also a huge step toward this vision. There are area events ending in Ultra bosses (pop dat coin!) that are triggered by individual players who've found certain tokens while running around. There are puzzles to come across and get distracted by. There are lore secrets to uncover. There's the Court of Oryx you can stumble onto to help out on the way from one destination to another. There are TONS of engram drops. I can really see what they were going for- and it's commendable. Creating "non-mission" spaces, with only open-ended or "resource gathering" objectives, in an FPS is a tough freaking sell, and the fact that you can have even a moment of fun at all is an accomplishment.

However, it still isn't quite there yet.

The biggest example is of course what we're talking about right now- when the reason you have to head down to the Dreadnaught or wherever is because you need X planetary materials to progress a quest or upgrade an item... the pull of simply (as expressed many times now) "running in circles, opening chests as you seen them spawn and ignoring everything else there is to do on patrol is far too strong. Rather than being incidental material gathering as you do things that are more fun, it becomes "the thing you're doing" at the expense of other things.

It's fixable, though not easily. I think a great start would be rewarding hadium flakes for a beacon mission "streak" on the Dreadnaught. Like, say you do a patrol mission and complete it- just your standard reward. But now a "Mission Streak" timer of 30 seconds or something pops up on your screen. If you can start another mission before the timer expires, completing it will give you 1 hadium flake and start another timer. Grab another mission before that one expires, and completing it gets you 2 flakes. And so on, maybe capping out at 4 or 5 such that the 6th, 7th, mission etc. would continue giving you the same lower number of flakes just to keep the rate of acquisition from becoming too totally trivial. Then you can of course grab any chests you encounter along the way. Event bosses, and Court of Oryx completion, should have a chance at a flake or two as well.

That way, needing flakes would be more of an excuse to "get down there and do stuff" as intended, rather than incentivizing the tedious farming of chests over all the great stuff they put down there.

I like this

Ophelion

I dont know if I find it funny or appalling, that the ABSOLUTE best QOL change bungie ever made was the planet mat farming. now they seemed to revert. I just cant.....

Don't have any ghost shells that give you mats when you pick up an engram? I have one that does that for wormspore and I have about 140 right now without having to farm shit.

Did that in maybe and hour of Court after our failed Spindle runs.

Edit or do engrams just give you spore at court? Maybe it's not as good as I'm thinking...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Holy shit guys. After running round the moon for an hour doing the exotic sword quest, auto reset on melee kill for the win, I had a legendry engram drop. It only turned into telesto!

I've got more exotics stumbling through quests than from actually finishing them lol.

I said it yesterday, but I got 3 exotics while trying to get the fucking spindle and ship. Monte Carlo, Alpha Lupi (hunter), and some pathetic warlock helmet. Still though, its nice that FINALLY you can get great stuff by killing mobs as you should instead of praying at the rewards screen.

Touch of Malice needs Hadium Flakes to upgrade? FUUUUU.

If you have a hunter or a hunter friend patrol the dreadnaught with that, the nightstalker class shows chests on your minimap so its insanely easy to farm them. Can gather 50 in like an hour in any of the areas. Flakes can be xferred between chars so I just farm em on my hunter when I am there and keep them in the vault for when I will need them, have like 140 so far (still need to do sword quests on 2 chars then touch).

Top Bottom