• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I only got to 30 back in the day thanks to IB. Not everything has to revolve around the raid. It doesn't break anything to have 1-2 pieces during each IB event. It's great for johnny casual (like me).

Perhaps its just the MMO player in me whos used to PvP gear being a lower item level than PvE gear, but thats really how it should be.

PvP gear should be balanced around PvP with PvP perks to enhance the players capability versus players, while PvE gear should be aimed towards PvE and perk that benefit versus AI.

Both can be used in both situations, but to be effective end game PvE you should actually be required to do PvE activities, not fully gear up doing PvP.
Same goes for PvP.
Wanna be part of the top 1% in PvP? Better play some damn PvP and get that gear aimed towards that cause raid gear aint got shit on PvP geared players.

Oh my the Halo 5 launch trailer was badddd.

I don't even know what to do in Destiny anymore. Like I almost feel like the grind is worse now. Just eh

Tovarisc

Aw crap. I thought whatever they where doing to shotguns happened last week. Can it at least turn into rangefinder when they patch?

Yes, if you get lucky :)

Real talk: information like that isn't ever going to be something I post and additionally, I'm almost never going to respond to open Q&A either here on GAF (or on Twitter for the same reasons I described on a podcast I did recently).

I do appreciate people asking questions and caring, but I'm going to be straight up about expectation management surrounding me answering questions.

I understand and it's cool, I just couldn't resist urge to ask :/ Seeing you around in these OT's is very nice, I hope you plan sticking around in future too.

We will figure stuff out once we get our hands on IB and ToO, 1% of 1% will prevail! :D

LTWood12

I'm ready to buy some dances.

6z7ckg.gif~c200

I can't for the love of me hit that sweet 300 light mark.

Engrams are giving me nothing and the raid is only giving me shards.

Kinda at that awkward point where a couple of minor upgrades will let me hit it and give me better stuff from engrams.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Not everyone raids, though. That's kinda the point of trials and IB.

I think my top post explains why I think it should be like that
Perhaps its just the MMO player in me whos used to PvP gear being a lower item level than PvE gear, but thats really how it should be.

PvP gear should be balanced around PvP with PvP perks to enhance the players capability versus players, while PvE gear should be aimed towards PvE and perk that benefit versus AI.

Both can be used in both situations, but to be effective end game PvE you should actually be required to do PvE activities, not fully gear up doing PvP.
Same goes for PvP.
Wanna be part of the top 1% in PvP? Better play some damn PvP and get that gear aimed towards that cause raid gear aint got shit on PvP geared players.
Overall Light should be less of a focus in both modes, but at the same time you want the gear to have perks respective of their "arena", be it PvP or PvE.
But if IB and/or ToO was to give guaranteed 310 drops then raid should give guaranteed 310 drops too. After all Raid is basically only event in PvE that is equivelant of IB / ToO, which is shame.

Also a very valid point.
If you are 100% to get 310 from PvP raid should also be 100% 310 drops.
After all its RNGesus but getting 310 PvP boots after one IB round and 302 boots after killing Oryx, i mean, come on.

Tovarisc

Not everyone raids, though. That's kinda the point of trials and IB.

But if IB and/or ToO was to give guaranteed 310 drops then raid should give guaranteed 310 drops too. After all Raid is basically only event in PvE that is equivelant of IB / ToO, which is shame.

Mupod

On my hunter, farming spinmetal with keen scout: have to literally dodge warsats as they rain down on my head while trying to loot the spinmetal.

Warlock, carefully using the public event tracker to chase down warsats: cannot even get a public event to spawn, much less a damn warsat.

When Banner and Trial start its gonna be so much fun to read forums.

NaCl thru the roof
Z5FhTdg.gif

Gotta get me some of that IB GAF Train once it launches.

Because 310 would defeat the purpose of doing the Raid.
Just do PvP a few weeks and nothing else to get capped. Meh.

You dont understand how truly important Sodium and Chloride are!!!! You fools!!!!!!!

I can't for the love of me hit that sweet 300 light mark.

Engrams are giving me nothing and the raid is only giving me shards.

Kinda at that awkward point where a couple of minor upgrades will let me hit it and give me better stuff from engrams.
I know the feels. I was stuck at 299 light for the longest. Funnily enough I got a 306 blue light machine and I barely hit 300. Then I got decrypted an exotic engram and got a 310 Celestial Nighthawk. Don't give up.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Is there a place to buy a high level artifact? Only place im really lacking.

nope, best bet seems to be running CoO, I've got 295 ones from there a few times. Other than that there's the 310 reward from Eris. I think there was a 300 you get as a reward from something too, but I can't remember.

Nuszka

One thing i wonder about IB and trials is the difference in damage/defense potential when it comes to light levels. The gap definitely should be closer between 304 and 308 light then it was back in the day lets say 33 and 34 level. Maybe bungie will put everyone in the same bracket if they are 300+ or 305+. Cant wait for tomorrow. Will wait till Wednesday or Thursday to upgrade my respective weapons to max level that i will use when the crunch numbers arrive.

Greenymac

nope, best bet seems to be running CoO, I've got 295 ones from there a few times. Other than that there's the 310 reward from Eris. I think there was a 300 you get as a reward from something too, but I can't remember.

Yeah I need a stolen rune to complete that quest.

Kyne

IB gear should drop at a randomized number between 290 and 300.

Trials gear should drop between 300 and 310.

Those who endure the sweaties should be rewarded for sweating.

Tovarisc

Also a very valid point.
If you are 100% to get 310 from PvP raid should also be 100% 310 drops.
After all its RNGesus but getting 310 PvP boots after one IB round and 302 boots after killing Oryx, i mean, come on.

I would feel so salty if doing PvP for less than a week gave me full set of 310 gear where 1+ month of raid clears barely given 305 gear.

Matticers

I would be surprised if the IB gear wasn't at least 300. I think they're only doing one armor slot (or is it two?) so it's not like you can use it as a way to max out at 310 LL anyway even if the gear itself was 310. Plus there's a large group of people who aren't happy that you have to raid in order to start pushing towards 310. This could be one of Bungie's opportunities to slightly remedy that. But we'll see. I've never liked IB that much. I always thought most of the gear wasn't worth the hassle of playing it. Hopefully they surprise us with some goodies though.

If anyone/group has time to lead me through the newest raid I would appreciate it. My current group is flakey. I have made it as far as oryx, before everyone disbanded for the night, and our checkpoint was reset. they have all finished it multiple times without me. I've finished precious raids multiple times. I don't have the time to do the raid in one sitting. Usually get on around 8-9pm pst, when the wife and kid are asleep, and am good to go until 1030-11pm on week nights. My light level hovers around 291-293 depending on what I have equipped.

If needed I might be able to bring a few of my crew as well

Xbox one gamer tag is 'devon the dude'
Thanks in advance for hopefully letting me ride your coat tails to victory.

Unlike the Daughters which relies on a random mechanic to make sure everyone can do the platforming, the Bridge just makes everyone knows how to grab the sword and kill the Gatekeeper by actually making everyone grab the sword and kill the Gatekeeper.

Another example of a fight that rarely plays as well as it could is the Thrallway in CE. Everyone stages it to send one guy down there as fast as possible to get the chest. In our flawless runs, we took our time and it was totally different. the 6 of us were lined up shoulder to shoulder doing a slow walk as we lay a torrent of fire at that doorway. Firefly blasts, thrall screams and here we were walking down cool as ice. Unstoppable. Was actually one of my favorite raid moments.

These are two great examples of exactly the type of details I'm talking about in VoG. Despite all the criticism that's been lobbed at CE, the design is excellent... until you reach Deathsingers where the quality drops as quickly as the design veers from its theme.
There's that word again... I promised I would stop ;_;

Luke can't answer, but the info is out there, though you'd be forgiven not knowing where. So here's Derek Carroll one of the Crucible Designers on twitter:

AYsp3ja.png

1Qg0PVD.png

The best/coolest looking Gear is once again Trials stuff. I wonder if that's on purpose. Look at how janky the HoW stuff was. That Warlock helmet. What happened?

Tecnniqe

Banned
I would feel so salty if doing PvP for less than a week gave me full set of 310 gear where 1+ month of raid clears barely given 305 gear.
Pretty much.
I would be surprised if the IB gear wasn't at least 300. I think they're only doing one armor slot (or is it two?) so it's not like you can use it as a way to max out at 310 LL anyway even if the gear itself was 310. Plus there's a large group of people who aren't happy that you have to raid in order to start pushing towards 310. This could be one of Bungie's opportunities to slightly remedy that. But we'll see. I've never liked IB that much. I always thought most of the gear wasn't worth the hassle of playing it. Hopefully they surprise us with some goodies though.

Nothing outside MAYBE Hard Mode raid require above 290 Light.
PvP should stay at 295-300 maximum.

The problem with Destiny is that PvP and PvE gear lacks perks aimed at killing people and AI.

But if you give 300+ gear for IB the system is, imo, fucked from the get go.

Namikaze1

So after getting nothing from 15 ToCs, I decided to use the last one I had on my Titan. I went and paid good old Gatelord a visit. He dropped a primary engram for me after 16 ToCs (if you include the one I used on it)

I head over to Rahool and I'm like "Thanks for the dupe, you ass." before I could even turn the engram in. I was already preparing myself for disappointment.

Then this happened.

1.) You may have missed the beginning of the conversation from yesterday but everything I've been talking about is from the "initial perspective." All encounters become trivial once the strats are optimized and we're optimally geared. I don't care about challenge, just talking about the thought put into the design itself.

Supplicants are not a pure trash wave, they interact with mechanics in ways that were initially compelling. Sadly they weren't scaled well (spawn timers and locations, pathing movement and speed) so people figured out how to trivialize them by activating both plates. They're easily the weakest part of an otherwise brilliant encounter but at least the design is there. Golgi add waves have no design at all: thralls + cursed from bottom cave --> Adepts and acolytes from side doors and back caves then bottom cave. They're funneled into narrow corridors in a cramped boss room, that's it.

2.) I was just clarifying. There's more happening in the summoned fanatic waves than a pure ammo dump so it wasn't clear. "Running out of ammo when most enemies have dropped ammo in a green death pool that requires cleansing in their spawn location except they blow up if you get close" is interesting.

Once again it wasn't scaled well (or made lactose intolerant) so the interesting part falls away. I'm not arguing these are great designs, in fact they're some of the weakest parts of VoG. But some good flickers exist and they have enough freedom that players can make them more interesting. I realize I'm being nitpicky, but small details go a long way for me when comparing VoG and KF.

1) I'm not talking about the mechanic being trivialized, it's whether or not the challenge is actually interesting as simply being a challenge doesn't mean it's inherently interesting. I mean, every bit of content in the game can become trivial given the right gear and strat but even trivialized content can still be interesting and thus more enjoyable. In that way, the Supplicants never felt interesting to me. The only element they add is a DPS/Accuracy check for the non-teleport team. In comparison the teleport team is clearing trash and killing confluxes while continuously moving forward with the relic holder cleansing. There's an element of DPS check to that as well but there's still more coordination, timing, and teamwork involved there.

2) It's not even a case of having most enemies having dropped the ammo in the green pools but a case of most enemies throughout the entire Raid not dropping ammo. When you consider that being the case, being ammo starved during fanatics is more of a side effect of two separate mechanisms. And perhaps the fanatic waves were designed with this in mind but it's still not particularly interesting to me as a player as it's not something that I actually have to overcome but something I have to be lucky enough to not have happen. I mean you can perform every aspect of the section of the raid optimally but still end up in a bad situation because the game just didn't drop enough ammo for you.

I haven't run KF yet, so I can't make a comparison one way or the other there, I just find it hard to describe those specific sections of VoG as interesting.

There aren't any sources of guaranteed legendary 310 gear.

While true, this seems more of a problem with the random Light Levels of Raid drops. RNG for drops and then RNG for Light Level on top of that is the issue there.

Same goes for PvP.

Anything over 300 from Oryx already gives advantage in both IB and ToO though. And from what I've seen of Destiny over the past year, the vast majority of the perks aren't geared towards one mode or the other and that's preferable imo. It allows PvP players to advance doing their own thing and then they can raid in a PUG.

So after getting nothing from 15 ToCs, I decided to use the last one I had on my Titan. I went and paid good old Gatelord a visit. He dropped a primary engram for me after 16 ToCs (if you include the one I used on it)

I head over to Rahool and I'm like "Thanks for the dupe, you ass." before I could even turn the engram in. I was already preparing myself for disappointment.

Then this happened.
Daaaaamn. Nice one :)

Tovarisc

The best/coolest looking Gear is once again Trials stuff. I wonder if that's on purpose. Look at how janky the HoW stuff was. That Warlock helmet. What happened?

Best set of gear for warlock still is VoG's full raid armor set, saying otherwise is heresy. KF set looks nice, until you get Mysterio helm which puts it to 2nd place on the list.

Anything over 300 from Oryx already gives advantage in both IB and ToO though. And from what I've seen of Destiny over the past year, the vast majority of the perks aren't geared towards one mode or the other and that's preferable imo. It allows PvP players to advance doing their own thing and then they can raid in a PUG.

Does it tho? It very well might be that Bungie just puts >=300 Light into same defence / offence pool, meaning being over 300 doesn't matter at all.

We just don't know, yet.

SkylineRKR

There is. If you finish her first CoO quest where you have to kill 3 of Tier 1, then Tier 2 and tier 3 enemies.

Namikaze1

With the Zhalo finally in my collection, that completes all the non-quest exotic weapons. All I'm missing now are No Time to Explain and First Curse.

Matticers

Nothing outside MAYBE Hard Mode raid require above 290 Light.
PvP should stay at 295-300 maximum.

The problem with Destiny is that PvP and PvE gear lacks perks aimed at killing people and AI.

But if you give 300+ gear for IB the system is, imo, fucked from the get go.

Before TTK, you could max out your character by doing stuff like IB. I don't see why that should change now. I personally don't enjoy the PVP in Destiny very much but PVP players shouldn't be screwed over if they don't want to raid. It's not really a fair system at all.

To me, raiding should be about getting the awesome weapon/armor drops there. That was the main appeal of it before. It doesn't HAVE to be all about maxing out your LL. The best weapons/armor should be earned by doing the hardest content in the game. Not maxing a character. But that's just me. I think most people who are against people having an easier way to 310 feel like they won't feel as special anymore since they're already at 305+. They probably feel like it would cheapen it for them. Which shouldn't be the case. It should be about gear and skill, not levels.

SkylineRKR

Then this happened.

I had pretty much the same scenario today, but I went to Reef and finally got Telesto.

Only need Zhalo now, lol.

MechDX

How come the Saber strike never seems to come up in the vanguard playlist? I need the warlock helmet.

I run normal mode through the director but the drops are terrible so I would rather run the higher level to at least get a chance for decent other items while farming. But it just never comes up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom