• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalamari

Oh my the Halo 5 launch trailer was badddd.

I don't even know what to do in Destiny anymore. Like I almost feel like the grind is worse now. Just eh

Halo, it's like I don't even know you any more.

Bungie needs to release hard mode soon, IB and ToO isn't enough to maintain the longevity of this game.

zewone

Is Omnigul's stuff really that good?

The pulse rifle is what I really wanted.

As far as I know, it's the only PR with the Timepiece/Oversoul Edict damage model that can be upgraded to 310 light.

With that said, I would have loved better PVP perks to roll on it, but it's really tough to come by.

Mine rolled with Eye of the Storm, Fitted Stock, and Third Eye so it's not terrible for IB/Trials.

With the Zhalo finally in my collection, that completes all the non-quest exotic weapons. All I'm missing now are No Time to Explain and First Curse.

I'm in the same boat. I will have the First Curse next week. Someone just needs to find the "No Time to Explain"

Now...about those exotic faction armor pieces on all my toons...lol

Does it tho? It very well might be that Bungie just puts >=300 Light into same defence / offence pool, meaning being over 300 doesn't matter at all.

We just don't know, yet.

Fair point but even if they adjust the curve so that >300 is a flat value, that would most likely be resolved in total light level. But individual pieces of >300 gear would still net someone who Raids an overall advantage in hitting 300 light vs. Someone else who would have to have been lucky enough to get enough 299 gear in enough slots to reach the same point.

Namikaze1

When farming 3oC, do you do playlist? Or pick a particular strike and just keep going in over and over again?
Playlist. I am also looking for more of the strike exclusive stuff but i stick to the playlist unless there's something i really want from a particular strike. But today just wasn't my day. Got nothing from the strike run I had with a fellow gaffer and before that, nothing when I did some solo.

--snip--

I haven't run KF yet, so I can't make a comparison one way or the other there, I just find it hard to describe those specific sections of VoG as interesting.

I feel like we're talking at cross purposes a bit. It'll probably be tricky if you haven't run KF yet since I'm drawing a lot of comparisons there. Anyway, thanks for chatting about this stuff. It's my favorite thing to discuss so I always appreciate a good dialogue!

Namikaze1

I'm in the same boat. I will have the First Curse next week. Someone just needs to find the "No Time to Explain"

Now...about those exotic faction armor pieces on all my toons...lol
I'll have mine in 5 weeks. I won't reach rank 5 till next week on my main. I'll be about 300-400 short of it this week.

Tovarisc

Before TTK, you could max out your character by doing stuff like IB. I don't see why that should change now. I personally don't enjoy the PVP in Destiny very much but PVP players shouldn't be screwed over if they don't want to raid. It's not really a fair system at all.

To me, raiding should be about getting the awesome weapon/armor drops there. That was the main appeal of it before. It doesn't HAVE to be all about maxing out your LL. The best weapons/armor should be earned by doing the hardest content in the game. Not maxing a character. But that's just me. I think most people who are against people having an easier way to 310 feel like they won't feel as special anymore since they're already at 305+. They probably feel like it would cheapen it for them. Which shouldn't be the case. It should be about gear and skill, not levels.

Why PvP player should get 310 stuff easier than PvE player who have to dance with cruel mistress called RNG for months? Lets say IB 2.0 can and do give people 310 gear then it shouldn't guaranteed 310, it should be all about RNG between 300 and 310. With lower chance of getting perfect 310 roll because you can grind IB more than raid in a week.

More devoted PvP players will grind IB, and gear from it, more than any PvE player could have farmed out from KF in this month.

I don't personally have anything against idea of PvP players getting to 310 through just playing PvP and skipping PvE portion of the game, but timecurve to get to that 310 should be somewhat equal between the two. If I can play PvP for less than a week and roll in 310 loot while grinding PvE for months with only dreams about 310 loot then it would be fucked up system.

Also I agree with Tecnniqe about that PvE and PvP gear should be more specialized and reward doing PvX.

The pulse rifle is what I really wanted.

As far as I know, it's the only PR with the Timepiece/Oversoul Edict damage model that can be upgraded to 310 light.

With that said, I would have loved better PVP perks to roll on it, but it's really tough to come by.

Mine rolled with Eye of the Storm, Fitted Stock, and Third Eye so it's not terrible for IB/Trials.

Please report with some PvP feedback Zewone! I love your take on that stuff. I am always looking for a new PR to grind.

zewone

310 PVP gear is harder to get then doing the raids or using 3oC.

I don't mind if Trials gear is 310.

IB is easier, so that could probably be 290 or so.

Mupod

Does anyone know what the ammo perks for alchemist raiment actually do? On the upgrade tree they say 'more special/heavy ammo drops'. But on the item itself it says 'can carry more special/heavy ammo'

Why PvP player should get 310 stuff easier than PvE player who have to dance with cruel mistress called RNG for months? Lets say IB 2.0 can and do give people 310 gear then it shouldn't guaranteed 310, it should be all about RNG between 300 and 310. With lower chance of getting perfect 310 roll because you can grind IB more than raid in a week.

More devoted PvP players will grind IB, and gear from it, more than any PvE player could have farmed out from KF in this month.

I don't personally have anything against idea of PvP players getting to 310 through just playing PvP and skipping PvE portion of the game, but timecurve to get to that 310 should be somewhat equal between the two. If I can play PvP for less than a week and roll in 310 loot while grinding PvE for months with only dreams about 310 loot then it would be fucked up system.

Also I agree with Tecnniqe about that PvE and PvP gear should be more specialized and reward doing PvX.

Completely agree with this.

The theme is "None-ya Business Don't Ask Questions!"

Haha and that would be completely fair. I've posted before several times but it bears repeating that I always really appreciate Luke posting here however much he can. Gotta love that Colts helmet avatar.

Hearing him talk about Destiny reminds me of when Unstable and I did the Adam Boyes Mercury-Skolas extravaganza. It's so great to see the people involved with making the things you're passionate about are genuinely passionate about them as well. Gotta love that.

I feel like we're talking at cross purposes a bit. It'll probably be tricky if you haven't run KF yet since I'm drawing a lot of comparisons there. Anyway, thanks for chatting about this stuff. It's my favorite thing to discuss so I always appreciate a good dialogue!

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Would have been bummed if I wrote 800 words on why the Daughters fight is a failure and not gotten any replies. This stuff is fascinating to tease out what the fight is trying to do, what it's trying convey, both gameplay and lore-wise.

KanameYuuki

No one seems to want to answer me

So far we know they drop from lv 36 and Heroic, at least on my end I haven't seen pics, vids or anything pointing out that you can get it from director, one Gaffer said he did director version way too many times and he never got it.

Tovarisc

Trials being easier or harder than ToO is very debatable as in both cases you are at mercy of RNG matchmaking. Even with matching teams with similar Win/Loss ratio doesn't mean you get challenging encounters, or easy encounters.

Some teams will walk through ToO to easy 9-0 thanks to matchmaking RNG while other will struggle a lot.

noomi

I'm under the impression that strike items do not drop straight from the director version.

Where is da proof, show me da proof!

rNilla

Haha and that would be completely fair. I've posted before several times but it bears repeating that I always really appreciate Luke posting here however much he can. Gotta love that Colts helmet avatar.

Hearing him talk about Destiny reminds me of when Unstable and I did the Adam Boyes Mercury-Skolas extravaganza. It's so great to see the people involved with making the things you're passionate about are genuinely passionate about them as well. Gotta love that.

Indeed, good peeps all around.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Let me make it clear how I think PvP and PvE when coming to Light should work.

Lets say IB, ToO and any other rated battlegrounds for that matter, have a cap at 300 light
And a softcap at lets say 290 or 295.

290 or 295 gear gets upped to 300 while in the crucible, and the 301 and over gear gets scaled down to 300 light.

However problem with destiny is that everyone feel they need to hit that Light cap, which in reality is just ItemLevel.

PvP plays have no need to hit that cap, ever.
PvP gear should be dropping at 290-300 but never at 310.

PvE on the other hand, is about getting as much resistance to AI damage as possible, as well as maximizing the damage output.
To achieve maximum Item Level one should have to Raid, because Raiding that season is the End Game.

While having this in effect PvP gear needs Player Resilience and Player Attack Power perks, which means they take less Player damage, while doing more.
In normal crucible this wont matter as much, but in ranked and rated arenas, you would want that extra Resilience and Power. Going into ranked with Raid gear would be a stupid idea, as it would put you at a disadvantage.
You would need to participate in both PvP and PvE to get gear that would benefit in each situations, and therefore have a Loadout system.

zewone

Trials being easier or harder than ToO is very debatable as in both cases you are at mercy of RNG matchmaking. Even with matching teams with similar Win/Loss ratio doesn't mean you get challenging encounters, or easy encounters.

Some teams will walk through ToO to easy 9-0 thanks to matchmaking RNG while other will struggle a lot.

IB doesn't require wins in a row. You also can only get very few losses or none depending on the gear.

If you grind long enough in IB you'll get all the rewards. That's not true for Trials at all.

Tovarisc

Destiny Taken King: New Destiny Emote Previews! The Eververse Trading Company by Datto; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNcxcznLINg&feature=youtu.be&a

Edit:
IB doesn't require wins in a row. You also can only get very few losses or none depending on the gear.

If you grind long enough in IB you'll get all the rewards. That's not true for Trials at all.

Can't you just grind ToO too for whole weekend, starting fresh from 0-0 by deleting that pass?

Matticers

Doesn't IB only offer 1 or 2 pieces of armor each time it comes around though? Let's say they offer boots and gauntlets. If they were both 310, which seems really unlikely, it would take someone at least 4-8 weeks to max out their armor slots through IB since they would have to wait for it to come back and then offer the helmet and body pieces on top of that. It's also a limited time event. If you're busy with work and family stuff that week, you're screwed out of whatever IB offers. On the other hand, you can put together a raid group anytime and do that on all three characters each week.

PVE players can also do IB as well and they probably have a slight advantage right now over PVP players anyway since their LL will be higher and they might have better gear as well if they have been raiding. Compared to someone who has only been playing PVP where their best piece might be the Hacksaw. I don't think any one specific group would be getting things easier in that scenario. It's available to everyone who plays the game.

I don't think IB will give any 310 gear though. They have tiers in IB and if they're doing it that way again, I wouldn't be surprised if one tier had 280-290ish armor and the higher one had maybe 300 at best.

Kill Omnigul in the room prior to the boss room. Where you first see her and she climbs up the hill.

Immediately shoot her with a Hunter tether and everyone rush in with the solar sword (void works too). Once you kill her, she will drop engrams.

You can then have the adds kill you and do it again.

Just don't go up the hill as it might trigger the next phase.

Is this solo-able? I loved my Timepiece and would love a Year 2 version.

rc213

Kill Omnigul in the room prior to the boss room. Where you first see her and she climbs up the hill.

Immediately shoot her with a Hunter tether and everyone rush in with the solar sword (void works too). Once you kill her, she will drop engrams.

You can then have the adds kill you and do it again.

Just don't go up the hill as it might trigger the next phase.

Jesus how do you even figure this stuff out. Now i want to try it.

Greenymac

So after getting nothing from 15 ToCs, I decided to use the last one I had on my Titan. I went and paid good old Gatelord a visit. He dropped a primary engram for me after 16 ToCs (if you include the one I used on it)

I head over to Rahool and I'm like "Thanks for the dupe, you ass." before I could even turn the engram in. I was already preparing myself for disappointment.

Then this happened.

Dude, youve always had the best effing luck.

zewone

Is this solo-able? I loved my Timepiece and would love a Year 2 version.

No, I would say it requires 3 people as you have to coordinate.

And one person pushing to the next phase will mess up the checkpoint for respawns.

You could do it solo if the game allowed you to load a strike alone, but all the strikes besides NF have matchmaking.

So I need a pulse rifle for PvP that doesn't take an exotic slot and isn't hawksaw, is the vendor FWC one good enough to waste marks on? Hand cannons are just shit now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom