• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

This seems a little misleading, no? Trials hasn't changed, right? Matching based on # of wins is definitely a form of skill-based.

Seems like Bungie can't win in this regard, noone will ever be happy. Unless perhaps they do ranked playlists, but they've been adding a ton of playlists as it is.

Personally, I wish they went back to the old system in Trials as I've discovered my team's skill gap fits perfectly into that 6-7 win range.

It's not misleading. Pairing based on wins for good players results in fewer losses and close games compared to Bungie's current matchmaking in regular crucible. It's something most people understand since streamers and above average Trials teams noticed it immediately.

As for the happy comment - I haven't seen anything but negativity since the new matchmaking was implemented. You get occasional boasters, especially on this forum, who can't wait to tell you how boring it is to be so good without SBMM to keep their unbelievable skills in check, but they are outliers. Triplewreck and his ilk have said the new matchmaking needs to go since day one, and every good player that I play with, including some of the most revered PvP players on this board, hates it. In addition to all that, there is the irony that mediocre players see no benefit from the matchmaking by definition. Bungie isn't caught between a rock and hard place like you think, they are repeatedly slamming into a brick wall to the detriment of their own game.

spyder_ur

If one day into your event the new meta is for fireteams to literally just kill themselves over and over again to farm drops, I'd say it's a failure.

I was about to say...why the hell are people doing this?

It's not misleading. Pairing based on wins for good players results in fewer losses and close games compared to Bungie's current matchmaking in regular crucible. It's something most people understand since streamers and above average Trials teams noticed it immediately.

As for the happy comment - I haven't seen anything but negativity since the new matchmaking was implemented. You get occasional boasters, especially on this forum, who can't wait to tell you how boring it is to be so good without SBMM to keep their unbelievable skills in check, but they are outliers. Triplewreck and his ilk have said the new matchmaking needs to go since day one, and every good player that I play with, including some of the most revered PvP players on this board, hates it. In addition to all that, there is the irony that mediocre players see no benefit from the matchmaking by definition. Bungie isn't caught between a rock and hard place like you think, they are repeatedly slamming into a brick wall to the detriment of their own game.

I guess I'm confused, to be frank. I'm just saying that there is indeed an element of skill-based matchmaking in Trials, correct?

To be fair, I didn't really see anything but negativity before it was implemented either, since presumably (or explicitly) the change was done to reduce lag. I guess my point about noone being happy was that people complained last year about no skill-based MM, then complained about the lag, and are complaining now with the new system.

You're right though - I don't see who exactly the new system is benefitting. I haven't jumped in Doubles yet which seems like it exacerbates the problem.

I guess I'm a bit confused about the whole thing, to be honest.

Ethelwulf

OT 3freakin9. Wow. This is awesome DestinyGaf. Don't own the game but this deserves a comment from an outsider who might join, worth it?

LTWood12

Logged on last night and noticed my Titan had a new class item from my daughters/oryx run Monday night. Had not noticed it dropping at the time.
mWnmSZol.jpg

Last piece I needed. Finally have a 320 character. I beat the game.

Got a 320 primary in that same run. The last four weeks people in my group have gotten 320 drops outside of the challenge mode. Monday night Hawk and I both got 320 primaries and also got the 320 class item. Last night T-44 got a 320 class item and inapplicable got a 320 shotgun. Past 3 weeks similar story. Anecdotally seems like they stealth buffed the drop rate for 320 gear.

OT 3freakin9. Wow. This is awesome DestinyGaf. Don't own the game but this deserves a comment from an outsider who might join, worth it?

Sure! We love new people. We're kind of in a pretty negative phase here because of the content drought, but there's plenty for a new player to do.

If one day into your event the new meta is for fireteams to literally just kill themselves over and over again to farm drops, I'd say it's a failure.
I don't know what you are talking about, I'm just channeling my Romeo and Juliet. What's more romantic than the classic star crossed lovers suicide pact?

Bungie planned on the Shakespeare meta all along!

Axoman

Bungie continues to be shortsighted and misguided with their changes.

I still don't understand how they can continue to overlook such obvious things.

They will either revert the special ammo changes or just make ice breaker, invective and sidearms lose all ammo when changing special weapons for both pvp AND pve.

Regardless, we're likely stuck with this current state for a few months judging by time between previous game updates.

As a new player, this game is amazing. Don't mind all of us who are currently upset about some things. The fact is when you have content in the game to play, it's super fun. The issue comes when said content runs out.

LTWood12

I worried that because of their stupidity, we won't end up getting year 2 Ice Breaker; which I think we would have if not specifically for this special ammo bullshit. So PvE will get screwed once again.

Logged on last night and noticed my Titan had a new class item from my daughters/oryx run Monday night. Had not noticed it dropping at the time.
mWnmSZol.jpg

Last piece I needed. Finally have a 320 character. I beat the game.

Got a 320 primary in that same run. The last four weeks people in my group have gotten 320 drops outside of the challenge mode. Monday night Hawk and I both got 320 primaries and also got the 320 class item. Last night T-44 got a 320 class item and inapplicable got a 320 shotgun. Past 3 weeks similar story. Anecdotally seems like they stealth buffed the drop rate for 320 gear.

Congrats on your ascension to 320 legend status LT! Yeah, I got 320 boots too when we did Golgy last week. I was thinking they may have buffed the drop rate myself...

Acidote

So, I haven't participated in the event yet and have nobody to do it with. Anyone wants to complete the bounties the fastest way possible? I don't care if it's suicide doubles as I've been reading.

Jafku

I worried that because of their stupidity, we won't end up getting year 2 Ice Breaker; which I think we would have if not specifically for this special ammo bullshit. So PvE will get screwed once again.

didn't they specifically call out icebreaker and gjallahorn saying they didn't want them coming back?

While I understand the logic of removing special weapons from the start of the match, everything else about their game disagree with it.

What they should have done first is test reducing the amount of ammo you get from ammo crates.

Apparently, I can't download the update with 35GB of space on my PS4. I'm not sure I want to get rid of anything right now, either. It's pretty annoying.

Anyone need to do the exotic sword strike? I need the the arc and void swords.

I can also suicide Crimson Double if anyone needs a partner, lol...

Getting on now, PSN: caine-chi

I've played about 2 hours of CD legit, and about 30 minutes suiciding. I still haven't seen a ghost drop. What Bungie should have done was reward us for playing the game. Instead it's better to literally kill yourself at the start of the match.

nowai

I don't know about you guys, but I got more hatemail last night than I ever have before.

It took us so long to finish the primary weapon bounty because if we saw someone using Thorn, we both threw it on as well.

Ice Breaker is and has always been my favorite gun, so it's great to use it again. It can revive snipe, has snapshot, any shot firefly, low zoom scope, great RoF and completely negates the special ammo nerf. Bungie made it extremely useful in 2.0 by making your ammo persist through death.

Of course, both of these could have been avoided by making light level matter in Crimson Doubles.

Oh and not being able to snipe a self rez Broken Heart Warlock is nuts. The Ram is not even required. Gg Bungie.

While I understand the logic of removing special weapons from the start of the match, everything else about their game disagree with it.

What they should have done first is test reducing the amount of ammo you get from ammo crates.
First reduce ammo amount and then reduce respawn rates. That makes ammo precious. If green only shows up every three minutes and heavy every five the crucible would change dramatically (and for the better).

Bungie will probably respond by nerfing Invective and Icebreaker. They prefer to punish the meta over encouraging diverse playstyles.

I've played about 2 hours of CD legit, and about 30 minutes suiciding. I still haven't seen a ghost drop. What Bungie should have done was reward us for playing the game. Instead it's better to literally kill yourself at the start of the match.

Should have either done what they've normally done, grind rep until a certain rank which guarantees a 320 ghost. Or complete all the bounties for a 320 ghost. Crazy that the last IB and this event are both ending up with mercy rule/suicide farming.

LTWood12

I don't know how to make reddit topics. Someone make one called:
Suicide Meta

WipedOut

Should have either done what they've normally done, grind rep until a certain rank which guarantees a 320 ghost. Or complete all the bounties for a 320 ghost. Crazy that the last IB and this event are both ending up with mercy rule/suicide farming.
Want to jump off later tonight thirsty?

Jafku

I don't know how to make reddit topics. Someone make one called:
Suicide Meta

Title it: The Crimson Suicides: The tragic tale of Y2 Destiny

Liamc723

I absolutely hate the new meta of starting without special ammo and Crimson Doubles is a shocking event. Festival Of The Lost was more substantial than this, and that was awful too!

Nice one Bungie.

I guess I'm confused, to be frank. I'm just saying that there is indeed an element of skill-based matchmaking in Trials, correct?

To be fair, I didn't really see anything but negativity before it was implemented either, since presumably (or explicitly) the change was done to reduce lag. I guess my point about noone being happy was that people complained last year about no skill-based MM, then complained about the lag, and are complaining now with the new system.

You're right though - I don't see who exactly the new system is benefitting. I haven't jumped in Doubles yet which seems like it exacerbates the problem.

I guess I'm a bit confused about the whole thing, to be honest.

Trials does match up based on wins, yes, but after that check it seems random. I've played against great teams early in a card and terrible teams late in the card. Because of this, really good teams can comfortably win most games even if they are playing at 9 wins.

As for the negativity before the matchmaking change, you have to remember this forum is an echo chamber where negativity is often the default. That said, I don't remember seeing posts that we needed matchmaking that emphasized skill. If anything, the connections were the biggest complaint, especially in Iron Banner. The new matchmaking system was implemented at the expense of lag, not to help it.

Axoman

Wow, our definitions of great are polar opposites.

I agree. It seems to me I'm coming across more people that don't take damage, melee hits not registering, sniper headshots not registering and all around worse "feel" to crucible matches since they made their changes a few weeks ago.

Top Bottom