• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

Got 2 skeleton keys back to back in 2 heroic strikes, Darkblade and Hood Of Malok helms plus 363 artifact so finally cracked 365 LL.

spyder_ur

Some WotM final boss questions please before our raid tonight:

1. I'm still unsure what the team heavy load out should be. What does the most DPS with highest margin of error? I've seen those that say Cannon players should use Swords to kill their Captains and then during the DPS phase just sword Aksis (Dark Drinker, Raze Lighter), which I'm sure do some damage (with high ammo capacity) but they miss out on WoL if they sat back with Gjally or Sleeper. Sleeper seems like the highest DPS.

2. Are people still using the Buddy System during Phase 2? Where Bomb throwers always follow their Cannon buddies around the map? For example Cannon player needs to rotate to the other side to kill his Servitor and his buddy follows him to pick it up and throw it.

Thank you!

I go Horn, but I've seen some people mow down Captains with a sword and a bubble.

As for #2, I have found it's easier for bomb throwers to stay on their side of the map during both phases of the boss. Less moving parts and ways for someone to die in some random way.

radiohead1

Neo Member
I think I am done with Destiny.

I totally get where you are coming from. The ghost and artifact are the true barriers to LL increases right now. I will only mention that it is unfortunate that your group stopped at the final boss,
because it is actually broken up into two encounters and it is the first part that drops the ghost and artifact, and is the much easier of the two.
I say hang in there! But I know how frustrating it can be.

I think I am done with Destiny. Last night, after ranking up Crucible, Vanguard, Faction and finishing the weekly Crucible quest for 'nightfall tier' awards my overall light level did not increase at all. And I dont mean increase in light level, I mean the bar b/w 370-371 did not move an inch.

How is that possible? Well, since i turned 365 I havent had any artifacts or ghosts drop. I even leveled up Eris Morn last week and she gave me a class item instead. Crucible has yet to drop any weapons or armor pieces for me in two weeks and around 30 games. It has dropped 5 titans marks which are always below or the same as what i already have since everything drops class items in this expansion. Oh and last night it dropped a ship for me! Bungie you know exactly what i want!!

We stopped at the Raid's final boss the other day which screwed me because apparently the boss drops a guaranteed ghost or artifact. Quiet a weird decision considering its pretty much the last encounter in a 370 raid.

I cant help but feel that this is all a very conscious decision on their part. First they turned down the smart loot system of 1-6 light levels higher than your overall LL to 1-3. Then they removed a guaranteed way of getting artifacts. Now you can only get it by ranking up Eris Morn which means running 20 Antiquated runes and her weekly bounties. Even then she gave me a class item so its not guaranteed. Ghost dropped from the first or second chest in Kings Fall, now it drops in the second to last chest.

Legendaries cap at 365, CoE caps at 365, even though the minimum LL for the Raid is 370. Though its very doable at 365. They basically dont want to see you level up too fast. They dont want to reward you for playing the game. I get it. I should play the game if I'm having fun and forget about leveling up, but this is a game about leveling up. That's a huge part of its appeal. It's frustrating just sitting there opening packages and seeing shit drop every single day.

Raid is fucking amazing and the loot drops are much better so I will be sticking with just the raid every week. If Bungie wants to keep me playing by going back to its year 1 roots and wasting my fucking time then I wont give them the satisfaction. The funny thing is that I was addicted to the game when I was leveling up to 335 after the April update, and kept playing the game despite hitting 335 for over a month until ROI came out. So their fear that people will leave the game after hitting max level is completely unfounded.

I dont know. Maybe i am super unlucky. Maybe my game is glitched and ghosts dont drop from packages anymore after 365. Or Maybe not since Bungie made conscious decisions to keep ghosts and artifacts locked at the end of the raid. Final straw with a legendary 371 boot drop from the crucible weekly bounty. 1 full LL above my overall LL.

It's been out for a little over a week. I think you're putting too much pressure on yourself to be max level. Rng blesses some and curses others. You'll definitely get there- it took me about 15 DO packages before I got a ghost.

void666

Banned
It happened again. I'm addicted to destiny. I keep thinking about it. Planning what i'm going to do when i get back home.

Last night we did raid and killed the first boss. The mechanics reminds me of a mix between confluxes and templar from VoG. Which is great.

Even had fun playing crucible. Despite a few frustrating matches. I'm in love with the trespasser. It's a great pvp weapon.

LTWood12

I think I am done with Destiny. Last night, after ranking up Crucible, Vanguard, Faction and finishing the weekly Crucible quest for 'nightfall tier' awards my overall light level did not increase at all. And I dont mean increase in light level, I mean the bar b/w 370-371 did not move an inch.

How is that possible? Well, since i turned 365 I havent had any artifacts or ghosts drop. I even leveled up Eris Morn last week and she gave me a class item instead. Crucible has yet to drop any weapons or armor pieces for me in two weeks and around 30 games. It has dropped 5 titans marks which are always below or the same as what i already have since everything drops class items in this expansion. Oh and last night it dropped a ship for me! Bungie you know exactly what i want!!

We stopped at the Raid's final boss the other day which screwed me because apparently the boss drops a guaranteed ghost or artifact. Quiet a weird decision considering its pretty much the last encounter in a 370 raid.

I cant help but feel that this is all a very conscious decision on their part. First they turned down the smart loot system of 1-6 light levels higher than your overall LL to 1-3. Then they removed a guaranteed way of getting artifacts. Now you can only get it by ranking up Eris Morn which means running 20 Antiquated runes and her weekly bounties. Even then she gave me a class item so its not guaranteed. Ghost dropped from the first or second chest in Kings Fall, now it drops in the second to last chest.

Legendaries cap at 365, CoE caps at 365, even though the minimum LL for the Raid is 370. Though its very doable at 365. They basically dont want to see you level up too fast. They dont want to reward you for playing the game. I get it. I should play the game if I'm having fun and forget about leveling up, but this is a game about leveling up. That's a huge part of its appeal. It's frustrating just sitting there opening packages and seeing shit drop every single day.

Raid is fucking amazing and the loot drops are much better so I will be sticking with just the raid every week. If Bungie wants to keep me playing by going back to its year 1 roots and wasting my fucking time then I wont give them the satisfaction. The funny thing is that I was addicted to the game when I was leveling up to 335 after the April update, and kept playing the game despite hitting 335 for over a month until ROI came out. So their fear that people will leave the game after hitting max level is completely unfounded.

I dont know. Maybe i am super unlucky. Maybe my game is glitched and ghosts dont drop from packages anymore after 365. Or Maybe not since Bungie made conscious decisions to keep ghosts and artifacts locked at the end of the raid. Final straw with a legendary 371 boot drop from the crucible weekly bounty. 1 full LL above my overall LL.

The ghost/artifact drops from the next to last part. It's sort of the equivalent to Gatekeepers in VoG. It's a lot easier than the final boss himself.

But i understand your frustration. Taking a break is never a bad thing. If you're not having fun, take a break and come back when you get the itch again.

Looking to set up an Xbox WoTM run tonight. I have a final boss CP to either finish or can start fresh on an alt, depending on the consensus. 6:30-7PM EST

1. ThingontheFloor
2. DomsPlaying

X-Frame

I go Horn, but I've seen some people mow down Captains with a sword and a bubble.

As for #2, I have found it's easier for bomb throwers to stay on their side of the map during both phases of the boss. Less moving parts and ways for someone to die in some random way.

Thanks

I also forgot about the Scorch Cannons so
I'm assuming for Aksis DPS, 3 cannons and 3 Sleepers are ideal. Then Cannon players who use Swords switch to Ghally or Sleeper for the final 1% DPS phase.

LiK

Thanks

I'm assuming for Aksis DPS, 3 cannons and 3 Sleepers are ideal. Then Cannon players who use Swords switch to Ghally or Sleeper for the final 1% DPS phase.

People still use the Sleeper? I guess I should infuse it?

1. I'm still unsure what the team heavy load out should be. What does the most DPS with highest margin of error? I've seen those that say Cannon players should use Swords to kill their Captains and then during the DPS phase just sword Aksis (Dark Drinker, Raze Lighter), which I'm sure do some damage (with high ammo capacity) but they miss out on WoL if they sat back with Gjally or Sleeper. Sleeper seems like the highest DPS.

2. Are people still using the Buddy System during Phase 2? Where Bomb throwers always follow their Cannon buddies around the map? For example Cannon player needs to rotate to the other side to kill his Servitor and his buddy follows him to pick it up and throw it.

3. Is it confirmed that Aksis has 3 or 4 crit spots? I was shooting him in his spine and getting crit markers. I also heard his knees and legs are crit spots too (along with his head obviously). Apparently the deal different damage too with the head offering the least damage.

Thank you!

1. I can't speak for swords but Gjallarhorn and Sleeper are the best two options for ranged heavy. Sleeper does the more dps than ghjallahorn by a small margin, if you don't miss. Gjallarhorn is nearly impossible to miss. Cannons do the most dps, so definitely utilize those every damage phase.

2. When empowerment happens, each side will kill their captain. The empowered person picks up the cannon and goes to kill their servitor. The person that stays is who throws the bomb once the empowered person gets there to kill the servitor on that side. If two people are empowered on the same side, one of the empowered people will switch after their captain is dead with someone from the side who is short an empowered person. The unempowered person is still the one who throws the bomb on each side. There's plenty of time to switch once the captains are dead.

2.1 I've also been in groups that have the cannon holders drop the canons off in between top and bottom mid and a Titan puts a WoL over them for the 3rd teleport phase. But I think this adds too many moving parts for groups that aren't hyper organized and communicatng well.

3. Not sure.

Anyone have a weird issue where they received the same ROI quests over again?

I beat all of ROI's campaign stuff..and went back and finished up that added DLC that came a few months after TTK (in April I think?).

Went back to the mountain and got the two beginning quests from Shiro and the engram lady again. They show up brand new in my quest log even though I finished them already.

Weird.

X-Frame

People still use the Sleeper? I guess I should infuse it?

It will out DPS Gjally but it's function is single target DPS that requires accurate criticals. It's precision damage multiplier is still incredible. Gjally has higher margin of error with lock on and it's better for crowd control but isn't the single target DPS monster it was.

lt519

I beat all of ROI's campaign stuff..and went back and finished up that added DLC that came a few months after TTK (in April I think?).

Went back to the mountain and got the two beginning quests from Shiro and the engram lady again. They show up brand new in my quest log even though I finished them already.

Weird.

You can keep doing the Cryptarch's mission for new Artifacts. If you look closely the perks on the artifacts changed this week compared to last weeks. Shiro offers the Patrol mission each week and you get a Legendary for turning it in.

PuMa

Weird.

Those are weekly quests.

Does SS still hold more ammo compared to launchers? or did they nerf it? I remember there was also some glitch where you could have one sword ammo left, and you switch to SS and got full ammo for it.

LiK

It will out DPS Gjally but it's function is single target DPS that requires accurate criticals. It's precision damage multiplier is still incredible. Gjally has higher margin of error with lock on and it's better for crowd control but isn't the single target DPS monster it was.

guess i'll buy some exotic shards for infusion cuz i'm all out.

Does SS still hold more ammo compared to launchers? or did they nerf it? I remember there was also some glitch where you could have one sword ammo left, and you switch to SS and got full ammo for it.
You can hold up to 14 or 15 Sleeper shots with the right Loadout.

EDIT: This is also assuming that 3 players are using the Scorch Cannons for DPS and that they are already used. So Cannon users have Swords for their Captain and the bomb thrower shave long range Heavies like Gjally and Sleeper?

3. Is it confirmed that Aksis has 3 or 4 crit spots? I was shooting him in his spine and getting crit markers. I also heard his knees and legs are crit spots too (along with his head obviously). Apparently the deal different damage too with the head offering the least damage.

Thank you!
Responses to points spoilerd just in case...

Highest DPS i believe is Sleeper. Holds a ton of ammo too. Good for boss DPS poor for mob DPS. Gally or Sleeper but the team should have a mix. You'll want to run in pairs the entire time (IMHO) and i'd run a Sleeper and Gally in each pair. That way you have your bases covered.

I dont think they need to follow... but that would eliminate some confusion. We just kept a R/L/C tosser and that was never the issue in fails.

I'm in for this info as well. I always just aimed for the dome but we always tether so that makes every part of the enemy an automatic crit. Bring 2 hunters with tether.

Bradach

Is there a max light level that legendary engrams decode to? Like 340 for the blues?

Should I save legendary engrams until i'm level 365 (currently 353)

JJShadow

It's absolutely doable with that make-up of Light levels.
Were you getting through all the phases then just dying because you'd ran out of pillars, or were ya'll wiping due to missing dunks?

Half of the time was due to someone dying and then we ended up missing a captain/cannon/bomb, but we managed to get the 5 rounds a couple of times and Aksys still had like 10-15%of his life

I don't think dps should have been a problem, given the light levels. Some questions.

What heavies were being used?
How many titans? Were they using WoL?
How many hunters? Were they bowing him on the 3rd teleport?
Did three people use the cannons to damage the boss each damage phase?
Were you able to communicate where each empowered person was for each teleport?

I brought both the Gjally and Sleeper Stimulant, started using Gjally but then switched to SS for more raw DPS.

We were four Titans, one Hunter and one Warlock, I think that may be one of the problems, not a really balanced composition. Two of the titans with WoL and the other two Sunbreakers to clear adds and take down captains with the super. Only one Hunter, and in some DPS rounds he wasn't able to bow him

I'm pretty used I used the cannon in every round, but I'm not that sure about the other two, I think we missed some cannon shots in some rounds.

And yeah, we struggle at the beginning regarding callings about who was empowered but at the end we managed to do it relatively smoothly, it could have been done better though

How do you take down the captains? You just use the Gjally/Sleeper, a Sword or a Super?

owlbeak

Thanks

Don't forget, if you have one, bring along a warlock sunsinger with Viking funeral and Sunbreakers equipped. The damage buff for everyone while he's burning (especially coupled with tether and WoL - -you're looking at 2.1x damage) is huge.

Whoyouare

Once we get the team back together for the finish tomorrow all will be good.

Buntabox

Does anyone have Shinobu's Vow? I have yet to see it. Decrypted 10-12 gauntlet engrams and I'm having the worst luck. Probably 8 of those were Sealed Arhamkara Grasps (side note: thanks Xur).

X-Frame

Thanks Wesley and Snowblind for the help!

Don't forget, if you have one, bring along a warlock sunsinger with Viking funeral and Sunbreakers equipped. The damage buff for everyone while he's burning (especially coupled with tether and WoL - -you're looking at 2.1x damage) is huge.

I saw this posted on Reddit so we absolutely will. We should have 2 Sunsinger's tonight too. Additionally, they should be using Fusions, not Solar grenades for the most DPS and debuff. Someone calculated that Fusions apply the Viking debuff multiple times per grenade whereas Solar can't stack the buffs on itself if there are 2 or more together.

So ideally Weapons of Light plus Tether plus 2 Sunsinger's throwing Fusions should exceed 2x damage to bosses.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Hit 358 from running a few Spekis Prtefected. What is the absolute lowest recommended raid LL? I don't want to just die over and over and over.

owlbeak

Thanks Wesley and Snowblind for the help!

I saw this posted on Reddit so we absolutely will. We should have 2 Sunsinger's tonight too. Additionally, they should be using Fusions, not Solar grenades for the most DPS and debuff. Someone calculated that Fusions apply the Viking debuff multiple times per grenade whereas Solar can't stack the buffs on itself if there are 2 or more together.

So ideally Weapons of Light plus Tether plus 2 Sunsinger's throwing Fusions should exceed 2x damage to bosses.
Oh nice! Didn't know that about fusion grenades. Nice to know. Does it stack if one sunsinger hits with multiple fusion grenades? Or do you need two grenades from different players?

Thanks, good to know.

Yeah no prob! It will be the quickest way to get to 365. Pop all purples from 340-365 then pop exotics from 365 and up. From 365 it's sloooooooow...

At 365 no engrams aside from exotics will drop/decrypt over 365. You'll have to rely on RNG via faction rewards, the raid and infusing exotics into your purple gear to get past that.

IMO it's a huge mistake. The raid finishes at 380 but you can only get above 365 by spending dozens of hours in the Raid and the 350 Heroic Strike playlist hoping for keys and chests etc. (that is if you dont have a stockpile of dozens of exotic engrams laying around to help insta-boost you levels)

See that's what I thought. Are the first few encounters low and you boost LL from them?

Raid is 370 up until it jumps to 380 at the end. 365 just allows you not to be one shotted and actually do some damage throughout. 350 and below is pretty much useless unless your providing a specific roll and god-tier at staying alive lol.

Edit:

Would you do monitors every week if you got a free exotic engram each time?

Fuck yes lol it's not hard at all once you know where to go what to do.

1. I can't speak for swords but Gjallarhorn and Sleeper are the best two options for ranged heavy. Sleeper does the more dps than ghjallahorn by a small margin, if you don't miss. Gjallarhorn is nearly impossible to miss. Cannons do the most dps, so definitely utilize those every damage phase.

2. When empowerment happens, each side will kill their captain. The empowered person picks up the cannon and goes to kill their servitor. The person that stays is who throws the bomb once the empowered person gets there to kill the servitor on that side. If two people are empowered on the same side, one of the empowered people will switch after their captain is dead with someone from the side who is short an empowered person. The unempowered person is still the one who throws the bomb on each side. There's plenty of time to switch once the captains are dead.

2.1 I've also been in groups that have the cannon holders drop the canons off in between top and bottom mid and a Titan puts a WoL over them for the 3rd teleport phase. But I think this adds too many moving parts for groups that aren't hyper organized and communicatng well.

3. Not sure.

I'm going to throw out my perspective from someone who couldn't beat it.

Three things that I constantly screwed up, especially toward the end when I was getting burned out:

I was the assigned captain killer on the right using a sword...

1. If I was empowered and going to kill the captain I would have an unjust sense of being shielded due to the empowerment haze and rush in and get killed. I knew that I wasn't buffed by the empowerment, but it got hard to not FEEL like I was stronger.

2. Going from the right to kill a servitor on the left I would fall in the hole by the stairs in the lower area. I would panic to make it over fast enough and either try to one jump the whole lower section or just not boost enough to get up when I reached the left.

3. We were advised to try and drop off the cannons to the middle for the DPS phase, and if I was empowered I would forget to prioritize getting into position for the slam and instead try to drop off my cannon. Once again, I knew this was the wrong priority, but damned if I didn't keep doing it.

Obviously there were other things that went wrong, but those were my contributions to not completing the encounter.

ch4fx_

Where can you buy exotic shards?

I thought you couldn't get those anywhere.

Not sure about flat out buying them, but here's a pretty efficient way to get them. Go & buy a heavy machine gun from the exotic kiosk &...

- Apply heavy telemetry.
- Burn 5-7 motes of light.
- Dismantle when all nodes are unlocked, for 2 exotic shards, weapon parts and some motes.
- Profit.

EDIT - I'm pretty sure any heavy weapon will works for this, not sure why I thought it was machine gun specific.

Draft

I'm at 350 light. Last night my boy and a random tried to run SIVA crisis Bond Bros strike. The solar damage modifier was on.

We got rocked. The tank was tough, but the Bond Bros fight itself was just embarrassing. Couldn't get to the second phase when the missile launching brother comes out.

My question: is this a get good situation, or am I missing something gear/LL wise? I feel like I'm in a limbo between running patrols and hoping something good gets decrypted or bashing my head against strikes that feel like they are a hair's breadth away from disaster at every moment.

X-Frame

Oh nice! Didn't know that about fusion grenades. Nice to know. Does it stack if one sunsinger hits with multiple fusion grenades? Or do you need two grenades from different players?

It should stack from he same player. So if for example in Radiance where a Sunsinger can throw multiple grenades back to back they can stack the 3x (5%) debuff for a time by themselves.

2 Sunsinger's will of course allow the target to burn more consistently though and keep the debuffs up.

Top Bottom