• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

With all my three toons @ 387, I tried a few exotic engrams after the reset: got 385 & 387 items. Nightfall gave me a 388 primary (already have two 390 Prime's). I might as well take a break until they lift the LL cap, nothing for me to do in the game until then.
Ill swap you my 19 coins for that Mida...
Ant to think i belated all the ghosts i got on ttk nf...and now i can't get a ghost for love or money (or strange coins....😀)

Melchiah

The pvp part really isn't that bad. There's no reason to deny yourself the chance at the gun, especially when you can group with other gaf members to make it even easier.

It's not whether it's bad or not. I refuse to play PVP altogether, as it's not something I enjoy, and I hate how Bungie has a tendency to add PVP parts to quests. A couple of my friends helped me to do the exotic sword quest by just letting me kill them with the sword, but I wouldn't call it a fun way to spend time either. I'd much rather play co-op and PVE.

Zakalwe

Banned
It's not whether it's bad or not. I refuse to play PVP altogether, as it's not something I enjoy, and I hate how Bungie has a tendency to add PVP parts to quests. A couple of my friends helped me to do the exotic sword quest by just letting me kill them with the sword, but I wouldn't call it a fun way to spend time either. I'd much rather play co-op and PVE.

Well, you can either complain about how the game is forcing you to PvP, or join one of the regular gaf PvP trains and get it done in no time.

If you want the weapon it seems very silly to not do it.

Melchiah

Well, you can either complain about how the game is forcing you to PvP, or join one of the regular gaf PvP trains and get it done in no time.

If you want the weapon it seems very silly to not do it.

Well, I really don't have a need for handgun, but it pisses me out of pure principle, that some of the exotic quests are locked behind PVP wall.

Well, I really don't have a need for handgun, but it pisses me out of pure principle, that some of the exotic quests are locked behind PVP wall.

I guess their thought process was that Thorn is basically a pvp only weapon. Though it's not really that great in pvp anymore either.

And if you're the completionist type then it would make sense that there would be pvp only gear and quests since pvp is a large part of the game. It's not a tacked on feature like it is in other games.

Zakalwe

Banned
=

The wall is very small though, especially now they updated it to remove loss from death.

I get its annoying, but it's really not a big deal when there are ways to complete it very quickly.

And PvP is inherent to this game, it's not a tacked on mode. It makes sense for them to integrate pvp/pve this way.

may i ask what it is about PvP that turns you off? i didn't play PvP for ... ahem... decades ( last game i did so, nominally, was goldeneye on Nintendo) but i tried it out and it's a rush. i'm not good at PvP by any measure, and i'm usually the caboose on the GAF trains, but no-one ever complains about losses, no-one will call you out and tell you to "git gud" because of the community here. food for thought.

Ill swap you my 19 coins for that Mida...
Ant to think i belated all the ghosts i got on ttk nf...and now i can't get a ghost for love or money (or strange coins....😀)

Haha, I'd gladly give you the Mida. Thanks again for the help on the NF.
And yes, ghosts are annoying rare. That feeling, when you're 386-387, finally get another ghost, and it's 384...

Zakalwe

Banned
Hello! I recently
Got back into the game after quitting in Dark Below, PS4 GAF is active? How can I join the clan?

There's really no benefit to joining a clan, and there isn't one clan as there are too many players here.

I'd just stay active in this thread and join the Discord channel. That's all you'll need.

Melchiah

I guess their thought process was that Thorn is basically a pvp only weapon. Though it's not really that great in pvp anymore either.

And if you're the completionist type then it would make sense that there would be pvp only gear and quests since pvp is a large part of the game. It's not a tacked on feature like it is in other games.

It certainly feels tacked on, when it's added to quests like these, which usually stay on the PVE side. I can only think of three exotic quests, including this one, that sway to the PVP side. At least I know this beforehand, unlike with the previous handgun quest, that I wasted my time on.

There are PVP-only quests, that offer PVP-only gear, so I really don't see why the PVE players should jump to that side for a quest like this, that involves two strikes and patrol.

=

The wall is very small though, especially now they updated it to remove loss from death.

I get its annoying, but it's really not a big deal when there are ways to complete it very quickly.

That's a good change, but I still don't feel like succumbing to their PVP lures. I also kinda want to vote against it with my activity of abandoning all PVP-related quests, well apart from that sword one, which I never completed due to the tiresome gathering of materials.

PvP is deeply integrated into Destiny. That a quest would require some pvp is not something that should draw ire imho. Destiny isn't a PvE only game. It's a hybrid.

This game really fucks you over once you're in the 386-387 light level range.
How is it fucking you over when the softcap is 385? That you can get to 387 is a nice little bonus. 400 is only a few days away. 👌

Zakalwe

Banned
That's a good change, but I still don't feel like succumbing to their PVP lures. I also kinda want to vote against it with my activity of abandoning all PVP-related quests, well apart from that sword one, which I never completed due to the tiresome gathering of materials.

Your vote is doing nothing but denying you your book completion and a chance at trying the Thorn, though. The game is built in a way to actively encourage players to participate in all modes, this is a conscious design choice and its not something your "vote" will change. For better or worse, this is Destiny.

I do understand your preference, but you're being stubborn about something that you could complete and be done with it before in no time.

What's the discord channel? I went to the OP and didn't see it.

You won't, it's kept hidden for a good reason. ;)

PM Hawkian for a link.

PvP is deeply integrated into Destiny. That a quest would require some pvp is not something that should draw ire imho. Destiny isn't a PvE only game. It's a hybrid.

How is it fucking you over when the softcap is 385? That you can get to 387 is a nice little bonus. 400 is only a few days away. 👌

Fair enough.

Melchiah

may i ask what it is about PvP that turns you off? i didn't play PvP for ... ahem... decades ( last game i did so, nominally, was goldeneye on Nintendo) but i tried it out and it's a rush. i'm not good at PvP by any measure, and i'm usually the caboose on the GAF trains, but no-one ever complains about losses, no-one will call you out and tell you to "git gud" because of the community here. food for thought.

It's just no my kind of thing, in any game I've played. I've tried PVP in Unreal Tournament series, and some racing games like WipEout HD, but I always found the experience more enjoyable against AI opponents. I never even touched the PVP side in The Last of Us and Bloodborne, eventhough they're some of my favorite games. I used to shun away from online games altogether, until Mass Effect 3's co-op horde mode changed that. I probably wouldn't be playing Destiny without ME3.

I was like "i got one on brid- nvm two"

3otOKwhweTazXEc1uU.gif

Zakalwe

Banned
I shouldn't have played Doom before Destiny. While this game has one of the smoothest 30fps experiences I've seen (new content aside, the increased amount of enemies+effects causes quite frequent frame drops where before there was almost 0), it's still a huge difference.

I'd love D2 to aim for 60fps, but it's almost certainly not going to happen when they can push GRAPHIX more now they're not being held back.

I mean, this isn't a perfect representation, but it does look beautiful.

That's like the max though.

Yeah, folks should be happy with the current "soft-cap" LL system otherwise you could always go back to the old hard-cap where you have 385 gear on everything except for say a ghost or artifact until you get lucky enough for it to drop at that LL in order to reach 385 LL.

I'm assuming this new system was intentional on Bungie's part to avoid this as you can make up for not having a 385 LL piece of gear by having gear/weapons in another slot at 386-387 for example.

That said, it's not like it is that hard to get all 385+ gear if you continue playing regularly once hitting the 382-383 LL.

Top Bottom