• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

So I'm thinking of picking up either the Legendary Edition or The Collection in the upcoming sales, and I was curious if I could get some quick questions answered.

1. Is RoI and the other new content in The Collection worth the extra $20 over the Legendary Edition?

2. Is it worth getting into the game if you're only interested in single player and will presumably be locked out of the raids?

3. Is the game really 90% "fight to get to a point, then defend the ghost from enemy waves as it hacks a thing" as casually listening to Giant Bomb has led me to believe?

Thanks in advance for your input!

So I'm thinking of picking up either the Legendary Edition or The Collection in the upcoming sales, and I was curious if I could get some quick questions answered.

1. Is RoI and the other new content in The Collection worth the extra $20 over the Legendary Edition?

2. Is it worth getting into the game if you're only interested in single player and will presumably be locked out of the raids?

3. Is the game really 90% "fight to get to a point, then defend the ghost from enemy waves as it hacks a thing" as casually listening to Giant Bomb has led me to believe?

1. Yes. 100% yes.
2. No. 100% no.
3. No. It has that in strikes, but the raids are all but that.

Dez_

1. I think it's worth picking up the Collection. Though the new stuff in ROI is pretty brief, I do find it highly enjoyable, and having the collection will allow you to do some of the higher level activities that do have matchmaking, namely the Siva Strikes and the Heroic Strikes.

2. I would say that there's enough content as a whole for those looking to just do the single player missions and strikes to feel pretty satisfied with the game overall and feel accomplished. The shooting in general just plays so well, and there is a large amount of missions and activities that you will be able to complete on your own with all the dlc available. I will say that the game is much much more enjoyable when playing with other people. You will be able to participate in 3-man strikes, which have matchmaking to get your feet wet. If you enjoy what those have to offer, you can start looking into end game activities and joining with other groups and such, once you get more comfortable with everything. The community here is pretty friendly and helpful, and although it's going to get a little quiet as far as activity goes around here since there are a bunch a new games release, it never hurts to ask around if anyone's looking to start up a raid, play pvp or any other type of activity.

3. Yes, that is pretty much the game's vanilla single player campaign in a nutshell. The strength of the gameplay means I don't mind it so much, even if it isn't that great. The later content moves away from that though, and some of the dlc will be spliced in with the vanilla campaign to help offer up enough variety to make everything worth playing, in my opinion. You'll really start to see the improvements once you hit The Taken King missions as well.

GhaleonEB

1. I recommend the Collection. There's a decent hunk of content to RoI, and it's of very high quality. And it's where the endgame is at right now.

2. I play the game solo - outside of matchmaking - 95% of the time. You're looking at 50+ story missions, 15+ strikes with matchmaking, across six destinations and three social spaces (which matchmake others in).. It's pretty huge right now for a single player, and a lot of fun. (I recently took a new character through everything after RoI came out.) As Dez said - you will have more fun with others. You'll have plenty to add to your friends list and run raids with here (though it's getting a bit slow, I suspect things will pick up after the holidays).

3. No. The vanilla Destiny that shipped in 2014 featured way too many of those missions, but that critique is now over two years out of date; they are now in the vast minority of the total. The missions from the four expansions almost entirely eschewed that design. You will run into a few early on, but the missions from the earlier expansions are now woven into the main campaign and break them up nicely. (You'll also note a marked leap in quality as you progress through the campaign.)

The Collection is quite fairly priced vs. the Legendary Edition, IMO.It has what I consider the best missions in the game.

People say they got it from the Chroma packages pretty quickly.

But It is still bugged for some people, like me. I did 20 rank ups and didn't get it after the latest patch. I have over 100 ranks in NM. Another GAFFER went from 10-25 and didn't get it.

Apparently they fixed it for some people but not for everyone.

They'll probably never look at the issue again so we're never gonna get it.

At least I now have every other version of that ship.

It's just your RNG Deku.

Ray got WotM ship on his 2nd hm clear. I've done close to 20 and no ship.

Did anyone watch the raid along? Some interesting bits I picked up (spoilers in case anyone is sensitive).

All of the fights were much harder until about a month before the raid was released.
Harder parts were:-
1. The siva spinners were originally defend the point objectives with harder adds
2. In the vosik fight the TV's had much more health so people absolutely had to burst them down with heavy ammo
3. The seige engine originally had captains(!?) swarming rather than dregs
4. Aksis phase 1 had 3 yellow bars and they all came at the end with the captain
5. Aksis phase 2?

Lore snippets:-

1. I had no idea but the point of the opening area (foundry) is that this is where the fallen were making their grenades - the siva charges. So we are turning their tech against them

2. The siege engine has no lore - they created it because it's cool - the pretext for the fallen creating it is they went a bit mad with siva and create things because they could

3. The vosiks room is meant to be a mad-engineer lair, and i think vosiks was meant to be more tech-based originally. When they changed him to an archpriest they kept the TVs in "because the mechanic was cool and worked".

4. In hard mode the doors are half closed because it creates a cool indiana jones moment - nothing more or less

5. Aksis was originally called Meksis - their commentary didnt seem to make sense but they were struggling to name him without getting caught up in other bits of lore. They resused the Meksis name for the seige engine captain, once someone came up with Aksis.

snippets about Bungie:-
1. Their regular tester squad is named after a cheese as they find the cheese spots

2. I can't believe how big the organisation sounds, there seems to be an entire team for each little part of the game. There is a world art team, a concept art team, spec ops who do animations, other teams for character development, other teams for weapon and damage tuning etc etc

3. They tried to do challenge mode live and someone missed the first bomb causing a wipe - I'm really pleased they tried but couldn;t help sniggering when they missed the hitbox.

Did anyone watch the raid along? Some interesting bits I picked up (spoilers in case anyone is sensitive).

All of the fights were much harder until about a month before the raid was released.
Harder parts were:-
1. The siva spinners were originally defend the point objectives with harder adds
2. In the vosik fight the TV's had much more health so people absolutely had to burst them down with heavy ammo
3. The seige engine originally had captains(!?) swarming rather than dregs
4. Aksis phase 1 had 3 yellow bars and they all came at the end with the captain
5. Aksis phase 2?

Lore snippets:-

1. I had no idea but the point of the opening area (foundry) is that this is where the fallen were making their grenades - the siva charges. So we are turning their tech against them

2. The siege engine has no lore - they created it because it's cool - the pretext for the fallen creating it is they went a bit mad with siva and create things because they could

3. The vosiks room is meant to be a mad-engineer lair, and i think vosiks was meant to be more tech-based originally. When they changed him to an archpriest they kept the TVs in "because the mechanic was cool and worked".

4. In hard mode the doors are half closed because it creates a cool indiana jones moment - nothing more or less

5. Aksis was originally called Meksis - their commentary didnt seem to make sense but they were struggling to name him without getting caught up in other bits of lore. They resused the Meksis name for the seige engine captain, once someone came up with Aksis.

snippets about Bungie:-
1. Their regular tester squad is named after a cheese as they find the cheese spots

2. I can't believe how big the organisation sounds, there seems to be an entire team for each little part of the game. There is a world art team, a concept art team, spec ops who do animations, other teams for character development, other teams for weapon and damage tuning etc etc

3. They tried to do challenge mode live and someone missed the first bomb causing a wipe - I'm really pleased they tried but couldn;t help sniggering when they missed the hitbox.

Fuck. Forgot. Will check out now.

Deku Tree

It's just your RNG Deku.

Ray got WotM ship on his 2nd hm clear. I've done close to 20 and no ship.

lol that's what they said for all of year 2, until they looked into it and realized it wasn't just RNG.

The HM ship has like a 0.001% drop rate. Comitatus has a high drop rate if it's not bugged for you.

lol that's what they said for all of year 2, until they looked into it and realized it wasn't just RNG.

The HM ship has like a 0.001% drop rate. Comitatus has a high drop rate if it's not bugged for you.

I don't think the ship can be individually bugged for someone, but then again the iron lords emblem for activating all 8 artifacts bugged out for me, so who the fuck knows.

Can the HM ship drop from the chest? I don't really open those anymore.

Don't think so.

I hv to agree. The drop rate for the hm ship is too low. I havent seen 1 drop for me or my teammates in all raids since hm release.

Can the HM ship drop from the chest? I don't really open those anymore.

In theory... yes? I mean the chest is another go at boss loot so it should be possible.

Deku Tree

I don't think the ship can be individually bugged for someone, but then again the iron lords emblem for activating all 8 artifacts bugged out for me, so who the fuck knows.

Yeah who knows, but talking to multiple people who did a lot of rank ups and still can't get the Comitatus ship to drop is to me more than just RNG. Bungie explicitly said that the RNG was supposed to be in your favor and the ship has been bugged for some people for a long time so it's not hard for me to believe that it is still bugged just for a smaller group of people.

I hv to agree. The drop rate for the hm ship is too low. I havent seen 1 drop for me or my teammates in all raids since hm release.

The drop rate for the HM ship is ridiculously low. I've never seen it drop for anyone I raided with and I do the raid 3x a week since it came out.

Based on a rough tally in my head I've seen 2 people with it out of around 60 or 70 (maybe more) and that's after a few weeks of hard raid clears so maybe 2-3 chances per person.

Total ball park - around 1 in 100 to 1 in 200 chance. Which is ridiculous as even a fairly dedicated raider will maybe do 10-20 raid clears and only the hardcore will do 50 plus...

Even then 100 raid clears gives you a 50:50 chance of having it - you could easily do 200-300 clears and not get it.

CREMSteve

I have the HM ship, but it didn't actually drop in the Raid... or at least I didn't see it drop on my screen.

I just happened to be in the tower a few days later and looking at the ship kiosk and noticed it was unlocked for me.

Have had it equipped ever since.

On a completely separate note, just saw this video today, think there's anything to it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_lV9kVtn6G8

I have the HM ship, but it didn't actually drop in the Raid... or at least I didn't see it drop on my screen.

I just happened to be in the tower a few days later and looking at the ship kiosk and noticed it was unlocked for me.

Have had it equipped ever since.

On a completely separate note, just saw this video today, think there's anything to it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_lV9kVtn6G8

Saw that too. No idea. It doesnt seem like somthing bungie would add just because tho...

Lnkn52

WHAT IN THE WORLD DGAF

jaUQGgL.png

Deku Tree

What is Destiny’s network tick rate?
Combat damage is sampled at 30Hz (30 times per second). We track and network how your shots land in every frame of gameplay you can see. You receive updates on systems like scoring or ammo spawn timers from an Activity Host at 10Hz (10 times per second).

Bungie responds to Reddit.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
So do green engrams not go to the postmaster any longer?
Kinda wondering if blues still do because I'm pretty sure there were a couple on the ground when I went to orbit.

Postmaster is empty though

Magik

Holy crap, this place seriously died. Any word on when SRL will drop?

Srl will help raise the population a bit but it'll drop again soon after. Until some kind of substantial content comes out, Destiny will continue to have population issues and gaf will continue to be a graveyard.

E92 M3

I enjoy Bungie fibbing their way through another BWU. Why do they keep denying SBMM like it's Area51? Everyone knows the Crucible was vastly different in Year 1.

Top Bottom