• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

FyreWulff

Hope the Switch doesn't hold back D2 the same way PS360 held back D1

I wouldn't worry about a Nintendo version of Destiny holding anything back. The 360 and PS3 were just so.. cramped. Even when they shipped. With the PS3 extra cramped as well.

Consoles are pretty much on par with the mostly widely adopted amount of PC RAM these days.

Although when I think about it, it's really impressive that Halo 2 ran on the original Xbox.. with roughly 50MB of usable RAM.

of course, if Switch faceplants out the gate, it's all moot anyway

Raven117

This will be a long shot, but I have the aksis phase 2 cp.

I have yet to beat it due to limited time. Could anyone help me out?

looking to have a tank of a Titan so she doesn't die so much during the harder Strikes and Raids we'll play together.

After maxing your armour stat (in the subclass tree), not dying is a function of killing all the baddies or getting to cover, so it is a function of learning the class's abilities and limitations.

Hunter would be the best supporter with that healing sub-class since I can go invisible and revive her when she gets into trouble. Doesn't seem like Warlock is that great in support category.

There is a healing hunter?! Both blade dancer and nightstalkers can go invisible with class perks and there are two exotics to give it to all hunters in different circumstances.

Sunsinger is the warlock's support subclass.

So I haven't played this game in a good while, is it friendly for solo players yet? matchmaking for everything?

Everything but the raid and weekly nightfall. It has a lot more longevity if you are playing with friends.

Deku Tree

I wouldn't worry about a Nintendo version of Destiny holding anything back. The 360 and PS3 were just so.. cramped. Even when they shipped. With the PS3 extra cramped as well.

Consoles are pretty much on par with the mostly widely adopted amount of PC RAM these days.

Although when I think about it, it's really impressive that Halo 2 ran on the original Xbox.. with roughly 50MB of usable RAM.

of course, if Switch faceplants out the gate, it's all moot anyway

Thanks Fyre. With the recent news that an Activision developer that primarily works on mobile games joinining the Destiny team people have been speculating that Switch will get a version of D2. Which lead me to the concern that now D2 might have to fit everything into 4gb of ram instead of 8gb (or 3gb vs. 7gb). Although I don't know how much ram they would save if they just lowered the res for switch.

FyreWulff

Thanks Fyre. With the recent news that an Activision developer that primarily works on mobile games joinining the Destiny team people have been speculating that Switch will get a version of D2. Which lead me to the concern that now D2 might have to fit everything into 4gb of ram instead of 8gb (or 3gb vs. 7gb). Although I don't know how much ram they would save if they just lowered the res for switch.

Vicarious Visions (who also is working on Destiny now) has always handled Nintendo ports of Acti studio games. All the speculation seems to be lining up.

Also it's 5GB total for games on One/PS4. And you have to ship for base PS4 and base One even with the Pro and Scorpio.. so as long as Switch is close to them in RAM, it shouldn't get cramped.

We're coming from like what.. 350-380MB usable in the first release on 360/PS3. (they were 512 total, but there's a ton of stuff that eats RAM + OS overhead)

Honestly I hope it happens just because it'd be cool to see Bungie on Nintendo finally after all these years. I legit feel they could become Nintendo's main FPS franchise for years, there's no historical competition over there against them

edit: IIRC the PS4 Pro allots all of 500MB more to devs, mostly to help them get to a 4K render

Hey any Titans on the Outbreak Prime quest (or have completed and wouldnt mind helping out)? My hunter and a friend's warlock are on the first step to do the nightfall and such ans were looking to see if anyone wants to join.

Thanks!

Deku Tree

Vicarious Visions (who also is working on Destiny now) has always handled Nintendo ports of Acti studio games. All the speculation seems to be lining up.

Also it's 5GB total for games on One/PS4. And you have to ship for base PS4 and base One even with the Pro and Scorpio.. so as long as Switch is close to them in RAM, it shouldn't get cramped.

We're coming from like what.. 350-380MB usable in the first release on 360/PS3. (they were 512 total, but there's a ton of stuff that eats RAM + OS overhead)

Honestly I hope it happens just because it'd be cool to see Bungie on Nintendo finally after all these years. I legit feel they could become Nintendo's main FPS franchise for years, there's no historical competition over there against them

edit: IIRC the PS4 Pro allots all of 500MB more to devs, mostly to help them get to a 4K render

But how are you gonna put all the expansions data on Switch with only 32GB total Storage? Even if D2 comes on a cart there is still gonna be a lot of patches and expansions to download and no word on an SD card slot for storage expansion?

https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/789116886109655041

Four ARM Cortex-A57 cores, max 2GHz
NVidia second-generation Maxwell architecture
256 CUDA cores, max 1 GHz, 1024 FLOPS/cycle
4GB RAM (25.6 GB/s, VRAM shared)
32 GB storage (Max transfer 400 MB/s)
USB 2.0 & 3.0
1280 x 720 6.2" IPS LCD
1080p at 60 fps or 4k at 30 fps max video output
Capcitance method, 10-point multi-touch

darthbob

But how are you gonna put all the expansions data on Switch with only 32GB total Storage? Even if D2 comes on a cart there is still gonna be a lot of patches and expansions to download and no word on an SD card slot for storage expansion?

Wii U supports external media for added storage, given the Switch has USB 2 and 3 I'd guess that they would support it either in the same way or very similarly.

Deku Tree

After maxing your armour stat (in the subclass tree), not dying is a function of killing all the baddies or getting to cover, so it is a function of learning the class's abilities and limitations.

There is a healing hunter?! Both blade dancer and nightstalkers can go invisible with class perks and there are two exotics to give it to all hunters in different circumstances.

Sunsinger is the warlock's support subclass.

Everything but the raid and weekly nightfall. It has a lot more longevity if you are playing with friends.
tks for the tips man...with Hunter I was just talking about how easily you can run n bump around the map because of his invisible abilities. I haven't been in a raid since year 1, but I remember reviving a lot of my party members because enemies couldn't detect for that 10-15 seconds or so.

I really like the Hunter sub class though, my favorite character, but for my wife I'll try out a Sun singer Warlock and a titan Defender as her support. Either way, should have a good time. She just hit lvl 40 today so excited. Sadly have to wait for Xur again to use her coins.

I thought Xur was here all Sunday too like any idiot, should have got those boots...

Kalamari

Saw a guy sporting a Suros shirt at the grocery store, shoulda told him that wizard came from the moon or something. He was the only person not wearing something Seahawks related.

Number45

Saw a guy sporting a Suros shirt at the grocery store, shoulda told him that wizard came from the moon or something. He was the only person not wearing something Seahawks related.
Gutted I missed that hoodie in the Black Friday sale, picked up the Hakke one instead! Will probably pick up the Suros one at some point as well.

darthbob

Still have the cp. maybe we can get a group together tomorrow night

Yeah the checkpoints you have can only ever go up not down...until reset when they're...reset.

You can accidentally scupper people the other way, I joined a group wanting a fresh run, but forgot I had a cp and loaded us all in. Made it a lot harder to do a fresh run then as they all automatically had the new CP.

FyreWulff

That could be a concern, yeah.

Deku Tree

That could be a concern, yeah.

are developers required to assume there stuff will fit in base storage? Or can they require storage expansion like a microSD card? I remember Bungie was giving away USB drives for people on launch legacy consoles with small HDDs at one point.

FyreWulff

are developers required to assume there stuff will fit in base storage? Or can they require storage expansion like a microSD card? I remember Bungie was giving away USB drives for people on launch legacy consoles with small HDDs at one point.

Nintendo allowed developers to require the 32GB Wii U (vs the 8GB model) or even a hard drive on the U, yeah. Nintendo even had a couple of releases themselves where they (gently) told people it required the 32GB or an HDD plugged into the 8GB/32GB.

And yeah, Bungie not only gave away USB drives on 360, they gave you hard drives for your PS3 if you had the 20GB model.

Out of all the first parties, Nintendo has been pretty much free reign. They don't strangely stick their nose into game design decisions like MS and Sony tend to.

Top Bottom