• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

TP-DK

Btw for those who are looking for an artifact, I got one from the trials gold bounty. I know the chance might not be that high,but it sure is better than ranking Eris up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wonder if the current leveling rates are working according to plan for Bungie, or if this is slower than they expected.

I don't remember any other point in the game since day 1 with leveling this slow and grindy. Stealing from Tolkien - "[it] feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread".

I'm not so sure that it's just that there's not enough content, it's more like they want to stretch out how long people are playing this content, to make sure it doesn't drop off too fast, (and I'm just speculating here) to make sure that if people were thinking about buying the expansion a few weeks or month after release that there would still be people playing to make it more enticing.

I hope that's not the case, and that the artifact / ghost rates will be tweaked, because the grind is starting to go from fun to work pretty quickly.

This Week at Bungie said:
We’re looking into the way Destiny: Rise of Iron rewards the completion of activities with items that will increase your Light. Currently, our opinion is that Ghosts and Artifacts are dropping less frequently than intended, making it difficult for players to reach higher Light after 365. In the weeks to come, we’ll be investigating a solution that provides alternate max Light sources for these two slots. Additionally, when the Heroic Raid is released, many Activities and all Engrams will increase their maximum Light, making it easier overall to progress.
So it will accelerate from tweaks.

However the "speed" of leveling is incredibly variable depending on what you want to do. If you want to be as fast as possible- which isn't necessary, but is possible- run Sepiks Perfected/Omnigul from the director which are crazy fast strikes you can get to 365 fast and be more than equipped to begin the raid. The raid has a checkpoint with a guaranteed ghost/artifact before the final boss.

But between daily public events, the three weekly heroics, and your daily story for Legendary engrams, AF, Heroic Strikes and Nightfalls, Crucible (with 3oC) and general 3oC usage, and especially Trials even if only bounties and random drops which you can get from losses, plus the early phases of the raid/cache keys, there actually is a pretty decent variety for leveling at your own pace while having fun if you don't want to go for speed. Once you have one character at ~370 your other two are trivial to get to the same level.

While there were some missteps with this latest revision of Light progression, the severity of the grind is actually an illusion to some extent caused by the sense that you have to get to a certain point in a certain amount of time, which I suppose is tied to your speculation that they want to stretch out playtime to keep activity relevant for newer players. Rather than a wholly cynical move though. I do think it's worth imagining the other side of the coin wherein everyone is already 385 and even casual players feel they have nothing left to do.

It's an unpleasant balancing act but I do feel that they accomplished making this less restrictive than many previous iterations of their attempts at vertical progression.

As a big fan of fusion rifles, I'm beyond happy with this from the 7 win tier. Beautiful.

shw3lkm.jpg
fucking hell's bells captain.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Yes to all your questions. I wanted to watch Finding Dory but the movie is ruined for me because my ex saw it on the day she cheated on me.

I feel the same way about the Raid.

That's sucks man. Sorry to hear that.

One of the biggest roadblocks to happiness is our expectations of others.
Very rarely are others able to meet those expectations we set for them.
Those expectations can keep us from experiencing moments of true happiness.

Never happened to me before RoI...but since RoI I've had like 3-4 blues turn into exotics. Always at the felwinter cryptarch too.

Sadly none of them have been a Hawkmoon.

Yep sounds like their could be something to getting exotics from blues since RoI released. I think mine was at the regular tower cryptarch but dont remember for sure.

molnizzle

It's an unpleasant balancing act but I do feel that they accomplished making this less restrictive than many previous iterations of their attempts at vertical progression.

It just needs to be more obvious. If your leveling system requires people on forums to post multiple paragraphs explaining how to do it then you fucked up a bit. There needs to be a clear progression path that doesn't take a hardcore player to decipher.

The current system in RoI works to a certain point. Run strikes until 365, nice. It's after 365 things get hairy. If the raid dropped gear at a higher guaranteed minimum LL I think that would be a start. If my LL is 370 but I'm wearing 374 boots, I shouldn't get 370 boots as a raid reward. That's bogus. It shouldn't be possible to complete a raid and not gain any light at all.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Packaged dropped me a comedia with full auto, final round and rifled.

I'm loving the Hex caster.

Hex is the bullet hose Autorifle from crucible right?
If so I agree. I never had that gun in year 1 and it's been a fun addition so far

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It just needs to be more obvious. If your leveling system requires people on forums to post multiple paragraphs explaining how to do it then you fucked up a bit. There needs to be a clear progression path that doesn't take a hardcore player to decipher.

The current works to a certain point. Run strikes until 365, nice. It's after 365 things get hairy. If the raid dropped gear at a higher guaranteed minimum LL I think that would be a start. If my LL is 372 but I'm wearing 375 boots, I shouldn't get 373 boots as a raid reward. That's bogus.
Well, that's the thing, it doesn't really require that though. For the vast majority of Destiny players they'll simply make incremental progress over time from blue drops, faction/vanguard/crucible rank ups, legendary/exotic engrams and I mean the raid gear does drop at a minimum of 365. If you enter at 355 which is perfectly viable you shoot up quite a bit from anything. I don't necessarily disagree that Light drops should be based on the individual slot something drops for you rather than your overall Light but I haven't seen run any simulations of how this affects the progression curve, and I am giving them the slight benefit of the doubt that they have.

Such "multiple paragraphs" about efficiency are intended for people (including me) who have a screw or two loose and wanted to be at the forefront. We're still talking <1% of the playerbase that has completed the raid at all.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Anyone on PSN want to get a raid run going later today? Doesn't need to be a blind run. Just want to run it. I'm thinking 3pm central time. Who's in?

lt519

I'm in for a raid. PSN rarbusto Titan 378. Just playong crucible til a group forms.

Kayos and Moco you interested?

molnizzle

Well, that's the thing, it doesn't really require that though. For the vast majority of Destiny players they'll simply make incremental progress over time from blue drops, faction/vanguard/crucible rank ups, legendary/exotic engrams and I mean the raid gear does drop at a minimum of 365.

In that case the system is just way too slow then. The "end game" should be about chasing specific gear, not raising my light level. I have a screw or two loose as well and have been playing nonstop since RoI launched and I'm finding it really difficult to get past the low 370's. There's always going to be a sense that you need to get to cap ASAP to start working on endgame stuff. Maybe I've just played too many MMO's, but until I'm at level cap I feel like a liability to a fireteam.

robo

1. Gulfwarvet
2. Gulfs obnoxious son
3. Noisepurge
4. Noisepurge+1

Looking for two for 19:00 UK. About 25 mins, any sheep herders available?

Hzoltan69

Looking to run a full WOTM Raid with monitors at 3pm EST (1,5 hours from now).

1. Hzoltan969 (Warlock, 380)
2. jayforone (Warlock, 370)
3. Branaghs

Need 3 more. Please be experienced with the raid and over 370LL.

I finally got a 385 ghost. That tiny +1 light upgrade that I coveted for so long pushed my Titan over to 387. Hopefully my blood salt level will begin to lower now.

oti

Banned
Hey DestinyGAF, I just launched the Collection for the first time and it asks me if I want to use my old character (only played Vanilla) or start a new one. What should I do?

xuchu

3. Branaghs

Sure, I'll join. Got a 376 warlock although you may want titans and hunters if you're going for the quest afterwards.
If not, feel free to add me.

Psn: Talos_AI

oSoLucky

In that case the system is just way too slow then. The "end game" should be about chasing specific gear, not raising my light level. I have a screw or two loose as well and have been playing nonstop since RoI launched and I'm finding it really difficult to get past the low 370's. There's always going to be a sense that you need to get to cap ASAP to start working on endgame stuff. Maybe I've just played too many MMO's, but until I'm at level cap I feel like a liability to a fireteam.

I have also played pretty heavily since RoI launch. I stopped maybe a month into TTK and came back maybe a month before RoI. I completed my Year 2 MoT before Rise dropped and that's about it. I didn't save up a single legendary or exotic engram, had about 100 motes of light and 30 strange coins. Almost no heavy, no factions edged, etc. I am now 384/383/381. I don't know what you're doing, but it is quite easy to consistently get light upgrades.

Upgrade weapons that will benefit you the most instead of what you just find fun at first. Week one I leveled Zhalo/Defiance of Yasmin/Arc sword for the Heroic farming even though I'll likely never use them outside of Arc Burn. Always attempt packages for your lowest light piece. Upgrade your raid weapons first(my vendor Hung Jury/vendor 1KYS/Raze-Lighter are my 3 highest light) for highest raid drops.

Right around 365 to 370 I was a little slow but I made sure to rank up factions smartly including Queen's/HoJ/Crota's Bane in addition to buying tons of heavy from Xur as I'm getting 200+ SC per week with all these engram drops. Also, get the Dread Explorer Shell.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well I can empathize because that's where I'm at as well- and I was really feeling the burn to contribute more to my newbie group yesterday- so I think the changes they are planning to make are completely welcome. However on the other hand, despite the onerous burden that is currently in place, I do know that people out there have already made it past the theoretical cap of 385.

Tightening the path of least resistance never feels good to the individual player, but the systems team in a game like this is essentially forced to make a series of tough decisions to cultivate a fun factor versus the longevity of the game. I, ultimately, think Bungie has succeeded here more than they have failed. What Bungie really sucks at in actuality is packaging and communicating these systems in a way that doesn't feel punitive. They constantly miss out on easy psychological tricks you can use to dress up the drab-but-effective variable ratio reinforcement schedule the game has used to some extent since day one.

Anyway, since you and I are at the same LL and looking to progress, I should mention that I haven't wholly taken my own advice yet because I love the raid so much and keep diving back in (run it up to the boss on all three characters at least twice this week and beat the boss on two out of three... which reminds me I should look for a kill on my Titan tonight sometime...). But what I should actually be doing is focusing just on my hunter and doing stuff (quick PvE content/Crucible) to use as many 3 of Coins as possible, playing Trials, and focusing on rep rank-up. Though it is the case that Outbreak Prime (which I'll soon infuse back into my Chaos Dogma for the purposes of leading raids after I play with it a little more, and grab a new one on another character) is such a boost that it got me to 373.

Starting from there I plan to just grind out my Hunter as efficiently as possible tonight (except for a detour for that kill on my Titan if it comes up). Will report my results.

oSoLucky

Hey DestinyGAF, I just launched the Collection for the first time and it asks me if I want to use my old character (only played Vanilla) or start a new one. What should I do?

There's no drawback to using Nolan already in place character, so if you like the look and class then go for it. You have 3 slots so you can go either way with little negative effect.

oti

Banned
There's no drawback to using Nolan already in place character, so if you like the look and class then go for it. You have 3 slots so you can go either way with little negative effect.

Alright, thanks. &#128516;
I thought they might had changed the first missions or something but since I can just pick them and play it's no big deal then. My character is fine so I'll just continue. Now to get used to all this UI and loot system again.

Playing with my titan in reg crucible atm...

Juggernaut + sprint lock artifact + invective isn't even fair lol. Did juggernaut get a buff, or has it always been this good??

oSoLucky

Alright, thanks. &#128516;
I thought they might had changed the first missions or something but since I can just pick them and play it's no big deal then. My character is fine so I'll just continue. Now to get used to all this UI and loot system again.

Yeah they changed the Year 1 story missions and redid their level requirements. It may be worth going back through since it's been almost 2 years for you. It only takes a few hours for everything up to TTK if you power through. When starting out its probably good to do the story missions and bounties as they give a ton of xp to level sub classes.

X-Frame

Exotic pulse quest question:

Can you help other players with their Titan, Warlock, Hunter SIVA charge quests if you don't have the SIVA charge at all?

For example, I have it on my Titan but can I help another Titan player out on my Warlock and Hunter alts?

lt519

Still need one, preferably a high ll sherpa

I can help in ten minutes or so but if it starts to take to long I might have to bail, I've got like 2-3 hours max. What is everyone's LL and familiarity with raiding in general?

oSoLucky

Exotic pulse quest question:

Can you help other players with their Titan, Warlock, Hunter SIVA charge quests if you don't have the SIVA charge at all?

For example, I have it on my Titan but can I help another Titan player out on my Warlock and Hunter alts?

Only on step 2, 5 and 8.
You don't have to have a specific team for those

Born2Live

3. Branaghs

I may be able to bring my 375 Titan. Will only have a couple of hours tops to complete though.

Ty

X-Frame

Only on step 2, 5 and 8.
You don't have to have a specific team for those

Thanks, so
when you say you don't need to have a specific team, the quest steps did say specifically that you need to be in a Fireteam consisting of a Titan, Warlock, and Hunter.

My question I guess is if everyone in this Fireteam needs to have a SIVA charge quest or if 1-2 people can just help out because they are the correct class?

I understand that for the actual math puzzle steps you'd need the charge though. Thanks!

Top Bottom