• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I have a feeling the ice breaker will be nerfed. And that feeling makes me sad.

I'm using it for the first time in nightfall right now. And....holy shit.
ibeXDQGPfeN4GM.gif

I have a feeling the ice breaker will be nerfed. And that feeling makes me sad.

I don't get the big deal regarding ice breaker... I have it, and I still prefer FINAL BOSS. The ammo thing doesn't seem like too big a deal, since ammo is plentiful anyways.. Maybe I just like the Last Word too much to give it up for IB, idk

Apparently, the Icebreaker's reloading/recharging time is not affected by Chain of Woe. What a shame.

I noticed this as well. I have to start rethinking my Gunslinger setup. Icebreaker also made me realize that the Galahad E rare gun is still a viable auto rifle even during the end game. I had to swap out my Suros so I could try out the Icebreaker and the Galahad was my only other AR. It took down raid goblins just as fast as the Suros, if not faster. I'm really starting to wonder about the attack stats and what not. How does a 242 weapon hang with a 300 weapon?

I have a checkpoint for the Raid (on hard mode) at the Gatekeeper section (before the Atheon fight).

If anybody wants to join, send me a message!

Levels 29 or 30, with previous experience of hard mode, please

I am just terrible at PvP. I want to play a whole bunch of rumble matches to do the bad juju bounty. I keep getting one shoted while I am unloading my ammo into the other guy even if I start shooting first it seems... Can anyone tell me good strategies for PvP and rumble? How do you get good and win?

I'm also terrible at pvp. I played 8 hours straight yesterday just for the Invective bounty (get +25 kills/assists). Like someone told me, stick with your team and play defensively.

At first when I was playing and my radar would light up red with multiple enemies I'd just keep going and hope to get a kill before dying. I learned to just gtfo of the area if you have no back up though. It's just not worth it.

I also used the shotgun a lot. I have one that has less spread (more damage) when zoomed. So what I ended up doing is using that for a lot of one shot kills. And I always followed it up with a melee just to be sure. Got most of my kills that way.

Tovarisc

After 98 hours and only one primary Legendary drop, I'm willing to pay for a slightly inferior version then, rather than rely on RNGesus.

Here is my Shadow Price. I got it early in the game from Vanguard rank up package and is "inferior version" because no magazine upgrade. I still favor it in PvP and PvE over Suros, it's just that good AR :)

If you have decently good weapons then biggest pain is learning maps, but if you tough it out and learn them you will start to get better and better scores in matches.

gl :)

I have a checkpoint for the Raid (on hard mode) at the Gatekeeper section (before the Atheon fight).

Haven't done hard yet but I've done the regular a bunch of times.

Level 29 Hunter

*Splinter

PSA to everyone complaining about (or excited for) the Ice Breaker:

It's pretty much the worst sniper in the game for PVP. Every sniper is 2 shot kill, or 1 headshot, so the Ice Breakers impact and attack are worthless. The rate of fire is not the worst in the game but there are plenty of faster options, and the stability is atrocious (RoF is the most important stat for a crucible sniper, stability is a close second). The only 'perk' is the infinite ammo, but this isn't a big deal in crucible either (see: all those guys using nothing but fusion or shotgun).

There are common snipers more suited to crucible than the Ice Breaker. I would recommend the (rare quality) Heiracon LR5 or the (crucible reward version) Silvered Caracas-LR4 or the Legendary equivalent (I don't think I've seen one, Final Boss is close though I think).

This also frees up your exotic slot for the Vex Mythoclast, which I assume everyone has now... right guys? (Ok, SUROS).

Carn82

hmm. Is Thorn worth it? It took me ages to get the 25K/D ratio for Invective..so I'm not looking forward to the Crucible-part of the Thorn Bounty ;o

Ambitious

Usually, when you're in a fireteam and someone's talking, his/her PSN ID is displayed in the bottom right corner. But several times already, the names just didn't appear for like 10 minutes. Like yesterday in the raid, for instance. Pretty annoying when I have to answer every command like "stick with me" with "Uh, who's talking right now?".

cKD1Whw.png

People using PMs over Xbox Live in order to find people to Raid with. The website on the computer also takes a long time.

Why can't we just talk in the hub?

The communication system in Destiny is by far my biggest complaint. We can joke about the story and repetitive mission design, which I think will both be remedied going forward in DLC and sequels, but to me, the biggest glaring flaw is communication. While I'm appreciative that Bungie has allowed us to create clans and communicate through bungie.net and the Destiny app, there is no substitute for in-game communication.

I need to be able to invite people to specific things. When I invite someone to a Fireteam I should be able say, via macro, so and so is inviting you to the Vault of Glass. So and so is inviting you for the Tiger strike playlist, crucible, story mission, whatever.

I started my own clan before the game came out and we're up to 37 or so members. It is extremely difficult to communicate with all 37 members what is going on when and answer all their messages when the only way I can do it is via Xbox Live messages and Bungie.net conversations. Primarily because, I can't force everyone to check their messages on b.net frequently or even respond to an Xbox Live message. Honestly, if I get a Live message and I'm doing something, I might not read it for days. And I definitely can't read messages from 36 people and still play the game that I enjoy in the mean time.

I've heard other suggestions...Let's create a Facebook group, let's do this, let's do that, but they are still inconsistent substitutes. The only consistent form of communication we all share in common is in-game via Destiny. Adding an in-game clan menu and message interface would go a long, long way.

Maledict

So I need to find a legendary primary weapon I can use in place of The Last Word when I need to use Icebreaker or Pocket fusion. Basically my choices boil down to the vanguard weapons - Shadow Price, Dr No or The Devil You Know.

Any suggestions on the best option?

hmm. Is Thorn worth it? It took me ages to get the 25K/D ratio for Invective..so I'm not looking forward to the Crucible-part of the Thorn Bounty ;o

Nope, not yet at least. 6 rounds and the reload is horrendous. I've had enemies regain their shields while I was reloading... There's supposed to be a buff coming soon, though

Deku Tree

I'm also terrible at pvp. I played 8 hours straight yesterday just for the Invective bounty (get +25 kills/assists). Like someone told me, stick with your team and play defensively.

At first when I was playing and my radar would light up red with multiple enemies I'd just keep going and hope to get a kill before dying. I learned to just gtfo of the area if you have no back up though. It's just not worth it.

I also used the shotgun a lot. I have one that has less spread (more damage) when zoomed. So what I ended up doing is using that for a lot of one shot kills. And I always followed it up with a melee just to be sure. Got most of my kills that way.

Thanks! I'll just keep trying and use some of your strats!

Here is my Shadow Price. I got it early in the game from Vanguard rank up package and is "inferior version" because no magazine upgrade. I still favor it in PvP and PvE over Suros, it's just that good AR :)

If you have decently good weapons then biggest pain is learning maps, but if you tough it out and learn them you will start to get better and better scores in matches.

gl :)

Thanks! Yeah I got the Hex Caster legendary AR in a drop it has low impact but huge rate of fire and large clip. Not sure about the DPS. I have good weapons and will try to learn the maps. Good thing the bad juju bounty doesn't penalize deaths...

Carn82

Nope, not yet at least. 6 rounds and the reload is horrendous. I've had enemies regain their shields while I was reloading... There's supposed to be a buff coming soon, though

alright. Other exotic bounty is for another Invective, so I`ll just skip this round. Thx.

It's pretty much the worst sniper in the game for PVP. Every sniper is 2 shot kill, or 1 headshot, so the Ice Breakers impact and attack are worthless. The rate of fire is not the worst in the game but there are plenty of faster options, and the stability is atrocious (RoF is the most important stat for a crucible sniper, stability is a close second). The only 'perk' is the infinite ammo, but this isn't a big deal in crucible either (see: all those guys using nothing but fusion or shotgun).

There are common snipers more suited to crucible than the Ice Breaker. I would recommend the (rare quality) Heiracon LR5 or the (crucible reward version) Silvered Caracas-LR4 or the Legendary equivalent (I don't think I've seen one, Final Boss is close though I think).

This also frees up your exotic slot for the Vex Mythoclast, which I assume everyone has now... right guys? (Ok, SUROS).

If I could just have the Final Boss with Icebreaker's infinite ammo... But yeah, plenty of special weapons ammo in PvP. If they ever nerf the starting amount or the drop rate on the boxes, that could change.

Anyone want to do the weekly ishtar strike in about an hour or so? Either level 22 or 26? 22 would probably be better because I'm not very good but I'll still try 26.

Tovarisc

It's pretty much the worst sniper in the game for PVP.

Praedyth's Revenge, raid sniper rifle, is maybe one of the best PvP sniper rifles. Low impact, but maxed out stability which means super easy 2-3 taps to torso or 1 to head.

Wait, the "drop" Shadow has a larger mag?

It can get perk for larger mag yes, but that perk isn't really needed with Shadow. It's beast mode even without it.

Well, ran the raid for the first time, or at least part of it. Didn't get to Atheon but the Templar stuff was pretty fun. Now that I've actually experienced some of it I'm excited to get in and do it again. If anyone has any XB1 raid groups that might need members then let me know lol.

Fucking first blood bounty is broken. Just have to do one more and I should get it but the last two times I did, it didn't count. Fuck this.

Not sure if you fixed the problem but future reference, going back to the Tower and then back into matchmaking will fix it a majority of the time.

If that doesn't work then restart the game.

I've had that glitch happen several times and that's always fixed it.

E92 M3

I don't get the big deal regarding ice breaker... I have it, and I still prefer FINAL BOSS. The ammo thing doesn't seem like too big a deal, since ammo is plentiful anyways.. Maybe I just like the Last Word too much to give it up for IB, idk

It's a very RELIABLE weapon for PVE.

Xbox?

Would lose my shit if they do that just because it is on sale and now everyone has it. Its bad enough that it got Suros'd.

Exactly why I think that. It's on the mass market now and the PVE just got a lot easier.

--

On another note, what's weird is that my daily icon doesn't spin anymore to show its new.

BokehKing

Banned
Doing a level 26 weekly strike (with my lvl 26 titan defender) by myself with icebreaker, plan on cheesing the end under the ramp, if you want to join feel free but I'm playing cautious and not Rambo style

Psn - devilsadvocat631

*Splinter

I noticed this as well. I have to start rethinking my Gunslinger setup. Icebreaker also made me realize that the Galahad E rare gun is still a viable auto rifle even during the end game. I had to swap out my Suros so I could try out the Icebreaker and the Galahad was my only other AR. It took down raid goblins just as fast as the Suros, if not faster. I'm really starting to wonder about the attack stats and what not. How does a 242 weapon hang with a 300 weapon?
High attack only really matters against high level enemies, you won't see any difference against a level 3 Dreg but a huge difference against a level 30 Praetorian.

Galahad is a good choice though, same base stats as the SUROS (although the SUROS ADS perk changes things slightly*). The legendary versions (if you are interested) are Shadow Price (vanguard quartermaster) and Vanquisher VII (New Monarchy, I think).

*this is just a guess, based on what seems logical to me, but the ADS perk gives you better ammo efficiency (you miss fewer bullets), so my untested assumption would be that it slightly (but not drastically) lowers the DPS of the gun. ie. A maxed Shadow Price (or close range hip fired SUROS) has slightly better damage (but worse accuracy) than SUROS, which explains why you feel you are dropping goblins faster. (although the Shadow Price has smaller clip and more reloads to consider when facing tougher or multiple enemies)

panda-zebra

That's sounds like the slowest way to level an alt... Killing an enemy gives 20xp, finishing a heroic mission gives several thousand. You are also killing enemies (at almost the same rate) when playing missions, and you unlock more areas which gives you more bounties you can do along the way.

WWTH is slower and more tedious, but then people stand in front of loot caves all day, so knock yourself out I guess

How does that sound like the slowest way? I've done it myself, made a new level 20 Warlock in no time, it's efficient and has the added bonus of throwing new armour and weapons at you quicker than you can bother re-equipping them when you level.

Dunno why are you comparing the XP from a single grunt vs. the XP from a whole mission, there's also no way in hell any other mission throws enemies at you at the same rate. That story mission grants you approx 25 kills per 30-35 seconds of play time, including down time between deaths, obviously less when you're still a very lowly level. Do the math... Let's say 40 kills per minute... 20XP x 40 kills x 60 minutes = approx 50,000XP per hour (easily really, as you also take out the higher-ranked enemies for 35XP (I think) a time, just not the Knight). Not to be scoffed at for relatively little effort and equivalent to 24 of the heroic missions you mentioned... also... just how do you suppose you are going to complete heroic missions at level 4 exactly?

If you want to discuss tedious, this is Destiny we're talking about afterall, it redefines what tedious can mean. What I described is no hardship to anyone who's at the point where making an alt to farm and double-up seems like a good idea. Never said it was riveting fun, just that it's efficient.

Anyway, as you mentioned loot caves, I was out doing a public event for the daily gift with my alt mentioned above, found these guys and sat there for 5 minutes watching them struggle to get it working:

Maybe they didn't get the memo?

When the event came, this was my view from the safety of the room:

I admit I chuckled to myself.

Back at the tower I have to say I was a little surprised to see a lost package Legendary engram... I hope that came from the cave, I scooted the PE area for goodies before going back to orbit.

The Moon isn't the only place you can get ship plans from chests, right? I've gotten so many from the moon and never any from other planets, and I usually chest farm on other planets more. I just got 2 within a 10 minute span of opening maybe 10 chests.

I got 2 from first 3 chests on Venus this morning.

*Splinter

It can get perk for larger mag yes, but that perk isn't really needed with Shadow. It's beast mode even without it.
I agree it's a great gun, but the magazine size is pretty much it's only weakness, if I had one with the mag upgrade I would probably stop using the SUROS Regime.

Well, ran the raid for the first time, or at least part of it. Didn't get to Atheon but the Templar stuff was pretty fun. Now that I've actually experienced some of it I'm excited to get in and do it again. If anyone has any XB1 raid groups that might need members then let me know lol.

Not sure if you fixed the problem but future reference, going back to the Tower and then back into matchmaking will fix it a majority of the time.

If that doesn't work then restart the game.

I've had that glitch happen several times and that's always fixed it.

Oh man I hope you're right. Gonna try later.

Edit: Didn't seem to work. :(

ocean

Banned
I asked some pages ago but not sure if anyone had the answer. How much XP is required between levels (under 20 obviously, since XP doesn't level you after that).

Yaari

28 heroic weekly. Half way through. PSN Stfndt don't have a mic. Add me and jump in if interested, not sure which cheese method I use for boss.

*Splinter

How does that sound like the slowest way? I've done it myself, made a new level 20 Warlock in no time, it's efficient and has the added bonus of throwing new armour and weapons at you quicker than you can bother re-equipping them when you level.

Dunno why are you comparing the XP from a single grunt vs. the XP from a whole mission, there's also no way in hell any other mission throws enemies at you at the same rate. That story mission grants you approx 25 kills per 30-35 seconds of play time, including down time between deaths, obviously less when you're still a very lowly level. Do the math... Let's say 40 kills per minute... 20XP x 40 kills x 60 minutes = approx 50,000XP per hour (easily really, as you also take out the higher-ranked enemies for 35XP (I think) a time, just not the Knight). Not to be scoffed at for relatively little effort and equivalent to 24 of the heroic missions you mentioned... also... just how do you suppose you are going to complete heroic missions at level 4 exactly?

If you want to discuss tedious, this is Destiny we're talking about afterall, it redefines what tedious can mean. What I described is no hardship to anyone who's at the point where making an alt to farm and double-up seems like a good idea. Never said it was riveting fun, just that it's efficient
The kills you get during missions are slower than WWTH... but not by much. Let's be generous and say WWTH gives twice as many kills per minute, that's half of your xp I am making already, then I have the xp bonus at the end of every mission, plus bounties. It's not even going to be close.

Heroic mission start at level 3, as long as you keep doing bounties you'll keep pace with their level. I recently levelled my third character (the one with the bad jump), and was always same level or one level up on the heroic missions. Took maybe 2 hours a day for three days, hit level 20 after 2nd Mars mission, I think.

Crucible is a viable alternative, I'd say it's down to personal preference which you actually use though.

*Splinter

I can kill up to 3 players with one mag in PvP [Normal or IB] without mag upgrade so.. ;)
...so you could kill 4 with the upgrade? I don't understand your argument. I already said its a great gun, and arguably the best.

On second thoughts, I guess I would agree it doesn't matter much for crucible, the mag size matters more in pve

Agent

Just had quite a 2 minute span with the Cryptarch. I received a legendary engram from a mob while in a public event, which turned into a Purifier VII legendary Fusion Rifle. I've hated fusion rifles as I couldn't kill anything with them, but this has rapidly changed my mind. It is almost full of impact and has void damage so it is tearing up mobs and I'd imagine super useful in the raid.

After submitting that I leveled up Cryptarch and received an Undercity shader which looks pretty awesome. I've never seen it before. Replaced my chatterwhite with it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
dunno if anyone remembers the issue i had with my gear "not giving me max sniper ammo bonus sometimes", but it turns out that one of the perks for the queens sniper is that upon spawn sometimes it also gives you a bonus to max ammo. so, my 30 + 6 shots was two bonuses stacked and when its 24 + 6 it was without the RNG sniper bonus in effect.

Bastos

I'm trying this week's Nightfall Strike solo here, I'm at that part with the waves of enemies in front of the giant Fallen Ship.

I would appreciate if two people joined LOL

I'm on PS4 - LVL 28 Titan - PSN: pest3n_

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom