• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth: PS5 Pro vs PS5 - A Vast Improvement At 60FPS

Topher

Gold Member
And this is why there are so many having emotional breakdowns. It's starting to bridge the gap between consoles and PC AI image scaling.

If that is the reason why some are pushing back on the PS5 Pro then they really need to step back and think twice about why they are having a hard time with this. Consoles were bound to catch up at some point. PSSR is the first real step in consoles being able to play games with high quality images and high frame rates comparable to what we get on PC. And the early returns on this tech so far has been impressive.

So yeah, PSSR is a good thing. Is it perfect? No. Will it improve? Of course. Just like DLSS improved as it matured. That's how AI is supposed to work from what I understand.

Nothing about PC gaming is threatened here. Even if/when I get the PS5 Pro, if I want to play Cyberpunk 2077 with all the bells and whistles and settings cranked, then I'm firing up the PC. PS5 Pro would just give me options that I have not had before on a console. I don't see why this is a problem.

TrueLegend

DLSS is your god, and you are its flock.
Yes 60 fps was our god, HDR was our God, SSD was our God, ML upscaling was our God. If you have such dislike for it than why do you keep following our faith. You get a drop of it and all of a sudden it becomes a miracle. Below is the screenshot of a thread and look at the first comment, but ofc we PC people come and haunt you. It has always been the same, you guys keep doing this. We PC users just dont care, because many of us already have the consoles too and not just one brand all of them. We dont give a shit. We just go where we can get the games and where we can play them best and we offer our comment from that perspective. You just do your usual rinse and repeat at trolling and baiting.
BGqVwJ4.png
aVNmCjY.png

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes 60 fps was our god, HDR was our God, SSD was our God, ML upscaling was our God. If you have such dislike for it than why do you keep following our faith. You get a drop of it and all of a sudden it becomes a miracle. Below is the screenshot of a thread and look at the first comment, but ofc we PC people come and haunt you. It has always been the same, you guys keep doing this. We PC users just dont care, because many of us already have the consoles too and not just one brand all of them. We dont give a shit. We just go where we can get the games and where we can play them best and we offer our comment from that perspective. You just do your usual rinse and repeat at trolling and baiting.
BGqVwJ4.png
aVNmCjY.png
I will pray for you 🙏

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
BGqVwJ4.png
aVNmCjY.png

200.gif

bundylove

BGqVwJ4.png
aVNmCjY.png
You are pathetic with your comments.

I would give you a bag of gummies maybe you chill down a bit.

DLSS is God tier compared to this shite. This is what worried me reading about what PSSR was doing from an engeenering point of view. The most interesting thing will be now to see how it stacks up to software only brach of XeSS because if it is poor than that then this thing is a bit of a scam as PS5 surely could do some PSSR lite stuff. Basically the extra GPU power is doing the heavy lifting instead of PSSR which does not boad well for Unreal engine titles. It also means ML part of this custom APU is weak. Honestly this is not what I was expecting.

This. Hearing that PSSR has temporal instability and shimmering is a huge blow to my excitement for the Pro! How did they mess this up so badly?

Topher

Gold Member
This. Hearing that PSSR has temporal instability and shimmering is a huge blow to my excitement for the Pro! How did they mess this up so badly?

You think DLSS was perfect straight out of the gate? It wasn't. So what is so incredibly "messed up" again? Do you really believe Sony is done building on PSSR when this is the very tech that is going to carry their consoles through next gen as well?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You think DLSS was perfect straight out of the gate? It wasn't. So what is so incredibly "messed up" again? Do you really believe Sony is done building on PSSR when this is the very tech that is going to carry their consoles through next gen as well?
I can almost bet there will be improvements from this demo slice of the tech, to launch or shortly there after.

Jedi0608

BGqVwJ4.png
aVNmCjY.png
If you don’t care, why are you one of the top posters in this thread? Why do you come in here talking PC shit when all we want to do is discuss the differences between PS5 and pro?

TrueLegend

Honestly it depends upon what phase the ML component comes in. If it comes early on then this may improve but if it comes later which I worry it does, its just bad solution. Maybe the silicon modification did not allow greater budget to ML part. I mean if you add to the fact that so much inside news about PS6 is coming to surface I suspect they probably wanted to but couldnt and with RT taking prominence with more and more titles maybe they decided to invest more effort on PS6 as they couldnt overhaul the CPU in PRO. I think graphics peaked at PS4, PS5 just got sacrificed at alter of chasing realism at the cost of fun.

TrueLegend

If you don’t care, why are you one of the top posters in this thread? Why do you come in here talking PC shit when all we want to do is discuss the differences between PS5 and pro?
I didnt talk PC shit. I expressed disappointment over the State of PSSR which if you watched the video you would see is being compared to other ML solutions. I dont care about PC baits, I do care about Gaming. And I am Top poster because people like you keep quoting me and asking questions.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Again, when all the PS6 and beyond consoles are running PSSR in amazing shape, just remember us PS5 Pro early adopters

president obama youre welcome GIF

Jedi0608

I didnt talk PC shit. I expressed disappointment over the State of PSSR which if you watched the video you would see is being compared to other ML solutions. I dont care about PC baits, I do care about Gaming. And I am Top poster because people like you keep quoting me and asking questions.
So you shitting on PSSR (an exclusive console upscaling technique ) by sucking off DLSS (an exclusive Nvidia upscaling Technique currently only available on PC’s) is you not talking PC’s? Help me understand how you’re not derailing this thread? We are supposed to talk ONLY about ps5 vs the pro, yet here you are.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

So you shitting on PSSR (an exclusive console upscaling technique ) by sucking off DLSS (an exclusive Nvidia upscaling Technique currently only available on PC’s) is you not talking PC’s? Help me understand how you’re not derailing this thread. We are supposed to talk ONLY about ps5 vs the pro, yet here you are.
And on what basis we are talking about PS5 vs PS5 pro if not the featureset of PS5 Pro that is in the video that is posted in the original thread post. Everything I have mentioned is also there is video. If I bought DLSS3 that would be derailing the tread.

Romulus

There were no major changes between the demo and the final game, per DF.

I mean us actually playing it, demo or full game. As is, the video on my 70inch TV doesn't show that much of a difference in actual gameplay. Cleaner image and a few frames. Hardly worth it imo.

Kangx

Like I said, some posters here are in five stages of grief right now.

Even Oliver states the temporal image issue is minor overall compare to the overall improvement.

At the moment I am pretty sure what MLID stated that sony has addressed PSSR image quality issue from version 9.0 to 9.4 is related to temporal stability.

Can't see to see what Kojima cooking with death stranding on the Pro in a week?

Last edited:

Skifi28

I mean us actually playing it, demo or full game. As is, the video on my 70inch TV doesn't show that much of a difference in actual gameplay. Cleaner image and a few frames. Hardly worth it imo.
For me the game looked extremely blurry on my setup which is the main reason I didn't buy it at launch as I was waiting for a better way to play and the difference now looks absolutely transformative. More power to you if you don't see a huge difference, you'll be saving some money.

hinch7

Didn't watch the whole thing but from what is shown here it looks great. And a big props for a first go at Ai upscaling from Sony. Miles better than the stock performance mode on the base PS5.

Still not sold on the Pro but if all future PS consoles+games have this this implemented this will be a massive win for everyone.

Last edited:

Taycan77

I've already seen enough to know PSSR is going to be transformative for console gaming.

Sony's software tools have gone a long way to ensuring PS5 is, at least, on par with the theoretically more powerful Series X. What's exciting about PSSR is it's a new technology which Cerny, the Ice Team, and other interested parties, can flex their dev muscles with after gaining real world experience. It's funny to think back about hardware based 'secret sauce' which never came to pass. PSSR & DLSS like technologies are the real deal and can potentially deliver huge performance improvements for all titles with regular update.

Last edited:

Kangx

Anyway, this Oliver conclusion. It seems he really happy with the overall update on the pro.

Also, after going back and watch the analysis again it seem i misunderstood one scence he talks about shimmering not the hair itself. He clearly states the hair clearly render sharper and better on the Pro through out the video.

Last edited:
It's just an interlacing technique.
I don't think that DF made that mistake.

Temporal upscaling is the basis for all modern upscalers. DLSS2, FSR2, TSR, XeSS, and probably, also PSSR.
TAA already does temporal upscaling. The machine learning inference is really the magic here as the smart reconstruction job can be done elsewhere on very powerful computers.
He said it's a similar upgrade in image quality going from xbox one to one x 👌
Indeed this looks like having 4x better resolution.

Do you want me to highlight parts of the image?

In your opinion, which one would you say has "breakup in the image"?

FF71.png
ff72.png
You smart boy. Very smart.

Hopefully SE takes the time to improve some general textures and assets too. Those horrid mountain textures are only gonna stand out more with sharper IQ.
About the textures produced by SE artists. Ahem. Most of them do look awful, like if done by amateurs. If think I read one post somewhere explaining exactly that. Shameful stuff from a company like SE.

Btw... For people who think 52->60fps is not a huge deal, it's actually 52->70+ fps. 60fps requires 16ms per frame, but PSSR costs 2ms. So to actually hit locked 60fps you need to render the frame in 14ms (70fps) and then add 2ms for PSSR.
I think the game drops down to 48fps after. But as Pro is locked like you said we really don't know the true gap. But I think at this poing we can trust Cerny statements about PS5 Pro performance. Right guys?

JimboJones

I know right.

Why’d they not just show this and Alan Wake 2 in a proper uncompressed video.

I’m on day one now, a night and day difference, the PS5 PRO mode makes the performance mode look like trash.
Probably a balancing act of trying to make the pro look good and not shit too much on the base model lol.
As for the image quality of PSSR, I think it looks rather good. All image reconstruction techniques have their quirks,.none of them are perfect(yes, even DLSS), but I'd take this over FSR2 or whatever the hell SquareEnix where using on the base model.

PaintTinJr

Judging by the small amount of footage I watched - up to John saying he thinks it uses PSSR - I have serious doubts it is PSSR, partly because the engine still looks like UE4 in some features.

IMO it looks like FSR based on how extreme distance stuff is pixel popping on what look like old PS2 gen style alpha masked foliage on trees, that or some of the old style Square FX in FF games aren't compatible with PSSR, and either defeat its inference or are rendered after PSSR,

Graphically FF follows what its gameplay needs, and despite amazing visuals on characters and terrain, lots of the detail looks out of time. So feels like a really poor game to use to gauge PSSR, assuming it isn't just FSR, which would be my prediction.

Top Bottom