• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

Honestly anything below T6 doesn't mean much in this context, enemy HP is almost doubled each jump of torment. Of course you can get by with a lot less on T5 compared to T6, that is why so many other builds still work on T5 that are completely dead on T6. I assume my demon hunter can do T5 with only 3 sentries as well, but I pretty much always get 4 out on the average elite/champ pack on T6 (unless it's a typically low health mob). And on the flipside I can pretty much always get 5 out on an elite pack where the elite mob in a naturally bulky type (and it's guaranteed if it has shielding).

Of course stuff like CDR factors into this as well, my demon hunter has around 40% because the way my gloves rolled so I can pop out sentries at a pretty fast pace in the first place.

Also for what it's worth steady aim is not useful "all" the time. It's pretty much trash when you encounter mobs that try to bum rush you, so basically nearly all act 5 mobs and some other guys. It's easier to maintain with vault, but, most people on T6 don't run with vault since smoke screen is infinitely better for survivability. The only way you can run both vault and smoke screen is by giving up another DPS increasing ability.

I guess my question would be, why are you soloing T6 if it takes so long to clear that you are getting 5 sentries out regularly?

I would again argue that the 20% increased damage for every source of damage from something like steady aim would yield a greater return than getting a 5th sentry out once in awhile. But it's going to be pretty hard to quantify it. I also run physical so I'm seeing increased damage from pets and I run a hatred generator so I can contribute damage as well. Tomatoes tomatoes.

I greatly prefer vault for survivability. I wouldn't call smoke screen infinitely better. With smoke screen it's too easy to get hung up on walls and mobs and be unable to get away from the source of damage. Plus you can kite around sentries a lot easier.

Once 2.1 hits live, it might be a different story with the greater rift climb. In that case you'll eventually hit a point where you'll need all 5 sentries. Still it's a hard sell for me.

Celegus

Paragon 978.... I don't even.

I also play with music (lots of The Gazette lately!), and frankly surprised that anyone with a couple hundred paragon levels would still be listening to the game audio.

Ayumi

Paragon 978.... I don't even.

I also play with music (lots of The Gazette lately!), and frankly surprised that anyone with a couple hundred paragon levels would still be listening to the game audio.

He ranks #2 worldwide with Paragon Levels.. and he has 8400+ hours played on his chars (15 chars at level 70). I'm actually dying of jealousy of his dedication to this game. Wish I could get just 10% of it so I could move faster up.. lol.

Would say I'd be satisfied around 350 or 400, but then everyone else will be aiming or 800 and I feel that pressure of leveling even further. Dunno if it's pressure or motivation. But I have a lot of free time on my hands so that'd be good either way. :3

Been trying hard to stay away from Hearthstone so I can focus on Diablo 3.
Any of you play that game? Could be good for days I'm sick of D3 maybe.

ZenaxPure

I guess my question would be, why are you soloing T6 if it takes so long to clear that you are getting 5 sentries out regularly?

Because the last time I bothered timing runs on my demon hunter my T6 rift clears were around 13 minutes on average (and this was probably like 150 paragon levels ago, it's been a while)? On T5 pretty much every run would be under 10 minutes I'm sure, but that seems like a waste for obvious reasons. And again, my CDR plays a large part in it. I am laying a sentry around 3.5ish seconds. On T6 that means I have 4 out usually around 14 to 15 seconds. Also I mentioned bulky packs for a reason. Of course I don't get 5 sentries out when i'm fighting shit like shadow dudes from act 4, but, I highly doubt anyone running marauder is killing a barbed lurker elite in under 10 seconds on T6.

This naturally leads into how you play the build. If you're playing it correctly you're kiting enemies back into your turrets in the first place so kiting enemies into 5 turrets is not hard in quite a few situations. It's why I mentioned open field areas like the blood marsh. I can go straight to the center of an area and drop down 5 turrets while fanning out in a full circle to bring mobs back to it. This is a bit harder to do in the linear close quarter maps, but, you can still kite mobs back. In these areas obviously you're stuttering your sentries though, so you have a line of them through the area.

As for vault vs. smoke screen, again, on T5 sure. I used to run vault as well and hated smoke screen, but being able to have invulnerability and heal for 15% of my HP is far more useful then vault on T6 as it does not grant invulnerability. If I had a unity I could probably go back to using vault, but I'm not lucky enough to have a dex unity yet (and giving up healing vapors would be hard at this point). It may be less of an issue when dex becomes armor, but that is not the case right now, it is very easy to get one shot as a demon hunter on T6 currently if you don't run unity.

Boogdud

Jesus christ how the fuck is 2.1 not live yet

your-money-is-now-our-money-o.gif

But seriously, I have no idea. Other than they really don't care much about it at this point there are other priorities. Namely the wow expansion and Heroes.

garath

Because the last time I bothered timing runs on my demon hunter my T6 rift clears were around 13 minutes on average (and this was probably like 150 paragon levels ago, it's been a while)? On T5 pretty much every run would be under 10 minutes I'm sure, but that seems like a waste for obvious reasons. And again, my CDR plays a large part in it. I am laying a sentry around 3.5ish seconds. On T6 that means I have 4 out usually around 14 to 15 seconds. Also I mentioned bulky packs for a reason. Of course I don't get 5 sentries out when i'm fighting shit like shadow dudes from act 4, but, I highly doubt anyone running marauder is killing a barbed lurker elite in under 10 seconds on T6.

This naturally leads into how you play the build. If you're playing it correctly you're kiting enemies back into your turrets in the first place so kiting enemies into 5 turrets is not hard in quite a few situations. It's why I mentioned open field areas like the blood marsh. I can go straight to the center of an area and drop down 5 turrets while fanning out in a full circle to bring mobs back to it. This is a bit harder to do in the linear close quarter maps, but, you can still kite mobs back. In these areas obviously you're stuttering your sentries though, so you have a line of them through the area.

As for vault vs. smoke screen, again, on T5 sure. I used to run vault as well and hated smoke screen, but being able to have invulnerability and heal for 15% of my HP is far more useful then vault on T6 as it does not grant invulnerability. If I had a unity I could probably go back to using vault, but I'm not lucky enough to have a dex unity yet (and giving up healing vapors would be hard at this point). It may be less of an issue when dex becomes armor, but that is not the case right now, it is very easy to get one shot as a demon hunter on T6 currently if you don't run unity.

I guess everything changes from T5 to T6!

Celegus

He ranks #2 worldwide with Paragon Levels.. and he has 8400+ hours played on his chars (15 chars at level 70). I'm actually dying of jealousy of his dedication to this game. Wish I could get just 10% of it so I could move faster up.. lol.

Would say I'd be satisfied around 350 or 400, but then everyone else will be aiming or 800 and I feel that pressure of leveling even further. Dunno if it's pressure or motivation. But I have a lot of free time on my hands so that'd be good either way. :3

Been trying hard to stay away from Hearthstone so I can focus on Diablo 3.
Any of you play that game? Could be good for days I'm sick of D3 maybe.

That is completely insane. I think my several hundred hours is obsessive enough, 8400 just sounds sad to me. I really don't care about levels though, I just play as long as I'm still having fun. Levels just happen and I'm not even sure what mine is, 300 something. I am gunning for #2 in the clan for achievement points though, but there's no catching up to Daravon on that front.

I play enough Hearthstone to keep my quests coming in every day, usually just a couple matches while I eat my cereal in the morning. Perfect game for that! I like it a lot, but only play casual since ranks don't interest me and it looks like you'd be running into a lot of the same decks over and over when you get higher ranked which is the opposite of fun.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
your-money-is-now-our-money-o.gif

But seriously, I have no idea. Other than they really don't care much about it at this point there are other priorities. Namely the wow expansion and Heroes.

It's just like... when you look at the update/expansion cycle of some of the other games in the online ARPG market (Path of the exile, Marvel heroes for example), Blizzard is straight fucking embarrassing with how long it takes them to get anything done for D3.

I guess it's not a big mystery, though: Both of those games are F2P and are thus designed to make money off of existing players, so rapidly rolling out new content/features that people will end up paying for is a big part of that model. D3 and SC2 are the only remaining Blizzard products that do not really make any money off of players beyond the purchase price, and I think it kind of shows.

ZenaxPure

It's just like... when you look at the update/expansion cycle of some of the other games in the online ARPG market (Path of the exile, Marvel heroes for example), Blizzard is straight fucking embarrassing with how long it takes them to get anything done for D3.

I mean let's face it, it's not just D3 either, the current WoW situation is pretty embarrassing too. I haven't played since around Feb and I regret nothing. And man, I truly thought they changed with MoP, the pace for patches was excellent (maybe ToT came a little too early, but whatever). Should have been another raid tier, even if it was shitty, at least the content pacing would have been sublime.

Blizz's slowness usually doesn't bother me, but between the WoD release and this d3 patch I'm starting to hit a breaking point of depression. I want to keep playing your games at unhealthy levels Blizzard, but you aren't making it very easy.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I mean let's face it, it's not just D3 either, the current WoW situation is pretty embarrassing too. I haven't played since around Feb and I regret nothing. And man, I truly thought they changed with MoP, the pace for patches was excellent (maybe ToT came a little too early, but whatever). Should have been another raid tier, even if it was shitty, at least the content pacing would have been sublime.

Blizz's slowness usually doesn't bother me, but between the WoD release and this d3 patch I'm starting to hit a breaking point of depression. I want to keep playing your games at unhealthy levels Blizzard, but you aren't making it very easy.

Yeah, I unsubbed from wow in March. I'll be back for WoD of course, but going from "FASTEST XPAC RELEASE EVER!" to "literally the longest end of expansion raid tier yet" is some serious fucking shit. It really does feel like they lost a few months of work when the personnel changes started happening (most notably ghostcrawler).

Xanathus

Probably another book. I doubt they're announcing something game related while it's taking them ages to just update PTR 2.1. >_>

Yeah that's what I thought, no way it's game related because the only thing they could announce for the PC game is another expansion and there's no way they'll announce another expansion prior to the patch.

It's not just the Marauder build, it's the same for the Cluster arrow build as well (that most DH start with). DPS doesn't matter as much as the base damage of the weapon itself. For Marauder attack speed is a bit more important to reach certain break points but not from the weapon itself.

I honestly should get on that too (craft an Arcane Barb) but I am always low on Blues and I am trying to craft some good Reaper Wraps for my new Wizard.

In other news I was telling a buddy of mine about the possibility of a specific Monk build (my personal theory craft) and someone actually turned theory into reality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHCht9adVx4

This guy is #1 on the Leaderboards with this build. Note that this build is actually not that easy to make because you need specific items in the specific spots (Mad Stone, Flow of Eternity, 3 Sunwoko pieces with one of them being the Amulet which is really hard to attain) in addition to stacking lots of Cooldown. The result is that you get to dish out a lot of damage and have very good survivability.

TL:DR version of this build:

Mad Stone applies Exploding Palm upon use of Seven Sided Strike (each hit applies an EP so you can get 7 EPs on 7 enemies at max). It applies the EP rune that you have equipped and most people will use the Impending Doom version because it does the highest raw damage.

Flow of Eternity lowers cooldown of SSS and is a 2H which is buffed in 2.1 along with getting buffed from Sunwoko (so raw damage is high).

Sunwoko gives bonus to 2H weapons and holy damage through creation of clones that hit for 1600% damage every time you spend 75 spirit. With the Mad Stone combo every time you use SSS... because you are also applying up to 7 Exploding Palm they also count towards the generation of those Clones. Each Exploding Palm costs 40 spirit so 40 x 7 is 280/75 is almost 4 and becomes 4 when you include the cost of the SSS itself (and the occasional MoC spam).

Note that using SSS and applying EP does not actually use up 300+ Spirit which is what makes this build so godlike!!!!

Other caveats to this build: Because this guy also has a lot of Spirit regen through having Epiphany almost all the time and through gear, he has comboed it with the gem that gives you +% damage every time you spend resource. He just spams Mantra of Conviction until he gets the maximum possible stacks for the highest possible damage.

Build in action on GR 32.

This is exactly what I've been building for in my head. I already have the sunkowo stuff and the flow of eternity. My sunkowo ammy sucks though, but the set bonus makes up for it I think.

MrDaravon

Yeah that's what I thought, no way it's game related because the only thing they could announce for the PC game is another expansion and there's no way they'll announce another expansion prior to the patch.

Even as hilariously long as 2.1 is taking if they have it out by the end of September they could tease whatever this new thing is (and it's an offscreen off-angle photo so it must be true) in October for the proper November reveal of it.

PTR Patch datamined http://www.diablofans.com/

Guessing new season legendary effects for WD? If so, I don't see anyone caring at all.

Soul Harvest now stacks up to 10 times
Your Poison Darts and your Fetishes' Poison Darts now pierce.

Enforcer now increases pet damage and reduces pet damage taken. :( Hopefully it's big difference and not all die a second or two than they normally would against mallet lords, anarchs, incinerators, reavers, death maidens, etc.

How does the Firebird set stack up on the PTR now? Worth using? Still best with Mirrorball instead of the the Firebird source?

Did some more experimenting with this last night, using Lightning (Fire). It actually makes single target damage viable.

...But again, nothing compares to the MB/Hydra build for me.

ZenaxPure

Those barb changes... I guess their plan is to just keep buffing the damage of resource generators until people combine them with depth diggers/leg gems to turn them into real attacks, instead of fixing the real issue with them. I guess that's one solution even if I'm not really a fan of it.

Anyway, thank jesus they are finally removing the move speed penalty for WW, it was so stupid since the speed at which you moved was only a problem because infinite wotb (which we no longer have). Now if only they could find a way to make the skill actually useful at T6.

Dahbomb

So that new Monk Legendary that gives you two Mystic Allies...

Do you get double the effect of their passive as well? I would hope so otherwise the Legendary is total shit.

And some of those gems got nerfed hard (as expected). Really disappointed they replaced the crit chance gem for pets.

So Monks gain a Superstition like passive. I guess that's cool.

Dahbomb

So from the looks of things... Monk basically got reworked (again).

*Many of the Spirit generators actually got nerfed in the damage. I was theory crafting a for fun generator only build with FoT (because of that 500% damage hit at the end) but they nerfed that. My guess is that these are nerfed to accommodate for the universal attack speed buff that they are apparently giving Monks with this patch.

*The new Legendary that summons 2 Mystic Allies... not sure if it's 2 additional or if it's 2 altogether. Furthermore it's not clear yet if they give the passive/active multiple times or not. I would have to imagine that they do otherwise this would be really crappy as the damage from the Mystic Ally is pretty pathetic. Of these I would imagine Air Ally getting the most use for the insane Spirit regen and Spirit boost on the active.

*They incorporated the new Legendary that increases the max stack of Sweeping Wind. The number that was thrown around before was 7. This will of course more than double the damage over time from the SW and would make the damage fairly considerable.

*Transcendence got a big buff although this is in line with every other class buff that revolves around life per resource spent (so Barbs and Crusaders got big buffs here as well). This is rather considerable and makes this passive even more usable.

*Sixth sense is going to be the new defacto defensive passive that every Monk uses now at higher difficulties. It's basically their own Superstition.

*Guiding Light changed to Alacrity which is yet another attack speed buff passive. So Monk now has at least a couple if not more passives that increase their attack speed. This combined with the two gems that give a ton of attack speed... could we see the return of FoT Cyclone build of old (ie just pummel people with FoT and spawn a ton of Cyclones)?

*Mantra of Healing has lost the only rune that was worth a damn (the one that gave them extra resistances). No one is going to be using Mantra of Healing when this other new Mantra exists...

*Mantra of Salvation will be the defacto defensive Mantra that Monks will use now... 20% resistance with an ADDITIONAL 20% on active use plus it now has a rune that gives you 40% passive resistance! Backlash is removed which is a bummer as that was a really interesting rune for an otherwise pretty mediocre Mantra.

*Really unsure why LTK got such a STEEP Spirit cost (from 30 to a whopping 50). Even with the damage buff it wasn't going to be tearing up T6 any time soon. I like the Vulture Claw change, 10 yards should make it hit a lot more enemies.

At least they finally gave us a Physical damage variant for LTK that doesn't suck ass. Time to bust out my super old school Physical LTK Monk? LMAO! The stun chance on Scorpion Sting and extra range on some of the runes are nice as is the damage but they should've only increased the cost to 40.

*New Epiphany rune I can see a lot of usage for as many people use Epiphany for the Spirit regen. Many people will still use the defensive rune for higher difficulties though.

*I wonder if the entire animation of WoL is reworked so that there is no final kick at the end. This would dramatically increase the DPS of WoL if the animation is cut down as it would up the burst damage of the skill.

*Dashing Strike nerf is pretty bull shit... it's only going to get harder to use the Lightning 6 piece set as well as taking longer to move around in general. My guess this change is implemented to counteract the change they made so that DS is affected by CD properly.

My prediction? Return of FoT + Cyclone SW build for Monk! Get a bunch of + FoT damage, Depth Diggers, the two attack speed gems + the gem that increases primary skill damage, Combination Strike, the new attack speed passives, get the new SW Legendary that increases stacks, stack up on Lightning damage, maybe also get LTK in their for crowd control, get Lightning EP in there just because. Also get a bunch of Legendaries with some procs for even more damage/crowd control (Thunderfury etc).

I wonder if the reason they nerfed Cost of LTK is because it scales better with attack speed. That would probably make more sense but we will see. It seems like there a bunch of changes to Monk that aren't listed in there. Overall I think SWK 4 set build will still be the best for Monks as of now.

Shifty76

Unless they significantly buff the proc rate on FoT I can't see myself using it.

WoL they ditched that follow up animation & dmg which should speed it up at least.

Nice to have some defensive passive options too.

Other than that, sounds like a big "meh" but we'll see how it goes in practice.

Dahbomb

Proc rates won't show up in datamine so let's hope they buff the generator proc rates.

IMO the defensive buffs that Monks got in this patch plus the option to go for very fast attack speeds makes this patch far better than meh territory. The defensive buffs are ABSURD that Monks have gotten.

Transcendance buff is godlike (we are talking like 15K health gained from the passive just by using your Mantra once). The new Mantra of Sustenance is insane which actually buffs the Inna's set. The new 6th Sense passive is just the type of defensive buff that Monks needed. Monks will definitely be able to tank with the best of them.

The two things I don't really like are the unwarranted Dashing Strike nerf and the LTK spirit cost. They might have buffed LTK in some indirect ways (like increased the arc even more, increased AOE) but it was still not really called for... should've settled for 40 Spirit cost. DS nerf is just going to make the Raiment set even more cumbersome to use.

Sarcasm

So lvl 68 and I been doing the adventure thing on EXPERT..going pretty good except I can't kill the treasure goblins.

Also...who do I contact for the guild? I posted my tag earlier.

Xanathus

Cool, Furnace no longer has the Crushing Blow effect and is instead replaced with 40-50% elite damage. That was one of the things that irritated me about Greater Rifts.

Nymerio

With the increased spirit pool I wish they went back to dashing strike just being a spirit spender. The charge mechanic was ok when spirit pools weren't that high, but I guess it'd be a bit op if it had a too low spirit cost.

Can't wait for this patch, I just can't really bring myself to play now with the patch on the horizon :|

ZenaxPure

Barb changes are nice
Kinda depends on what you mean by nice I guess. The best build on the PTR (based on GR ranks) was still leap quake, but when they changed vile ward it made raekor great for GRs. However, given raekor's shit single target damage (even after all these changes) a popular build had been incorporating double rend and furnace since rend does decent damage and is... ok at proccing furnace (not at a broken level, but fairly reasonable). With the furnace change I'm not really sure how raekor will do now.

There's a really fantastic ongoing "main spender only" PTR challenge on the d3 barbarian forums where people are seeing how far they can get into greater rifts without leap quake/raekor and it's obviously as depressing as anyone would expect. The vast majority cap out in the 25-27 range last I checked, and, keep in mind most of these builds are with our legendary items that are as rare and supposed to be equivalents to stuff like Woh and FoTF. There was a guy that made it to 31 with a WW/Rend build, but that was taking advantage of double rend/WW proccing furnace, which has been changed, so not really sure how that build will pan out now.

Anyway, I guess my point is I wouldn't consider most of the changes they've made to be "nice" so far, most of them do not fix the underlying problem with the class (which is basically 90% of our non-set legendaries sucking horribly horribly bad on top of a few core class issues). For me personally the only positive thing to come out of the PTR for barbarians so far is the vile ward change (which is fantastic for AOE charging but does not fix the core problem with raekor that its single target is shit) and the fact that frost quake can be pretty viable now damage wise. Not on par with fire in raw damage, but the other options you get (like the new cold rend or cold ancients) plus the guaranteed freeze from frost quake make it totally usable.

MrDaravon

So lvl 68 and I been doing the adventure thing on EXPERT..going pretty good except I can't kill the treasure goblins.

Also...who do I contact for the guild? I posted my tag earlier.

Ratticus is the guild head, he posted a couple pages back saying we weren't doing another purge until after 2.1 hits. Clan is always full. He's the person you'd want to bug though.

Xanathus

Ratticus is the guild head, he posted a couple pages back saying we weren't doing another purge until after 2.1 hits. Clan is always full. He's the person you'd want to bug though.
No point in joining the guild now anyway, its empty most of the time. Maybe you can post your btag here and find someone who is still active to play with.

I've been trying to farm both a Mirrorball and RoRG for the last month, but after over 8k blood shards spent on Kadala sources and probably 100-150 Act 1 caches I need a break, I have absolutely nothing to show for all this grinding.

Ayumi

I've been trying to farm both a Mirrorball and RoRG for the last month, but after over 8k blood shards spent on Kadala sources and probably 100-150 Act 1 caches I need a break, I have absolutely nothing to show for all this grinding.

After salvaging my first Mirrorball, I spent a few weeks on getting a new. The new one sucked and wasn't repairable with rerolling, so I have to get a 3rd. Gonna cost a loooot of shards. :<

After salvaging my first Mirrorball, I spent a few weeks on getting a new. The new one sucked and wasn't repairable with rerolling, so I have to get a 3rd. Gonna cost a loooot of shards. :<

I haven't been keeping exact count, but aside from Mirrorball and Winter's Flurry I've gotten ever other source about 5-6 times now, it's a bit unreal that I've yet to see a single Mirrorball pop up.

Strider

So having never played a past Diablo or really any other arpg... How long do seasons typically last? What kind of length are we expecting? I'm just curious.

Xanathus

So having never played a past Diablo or really any other arpg... How long do seasons typically last? What kind of length are we expecting? I'm just curious.

No way to tell because the current team is completely different from D2. The closest comparison would be Hearthstone's seasons which are one month each, but that seems too short for me so I expect it to be more than a month. PoE's are 1.5 months.

ZenaxPure

No way to tell because the current team is completely different from D2. The closest comparison would be Hearthstone's seasons which are one month each, but that seems too short for me so I expect it to be more than a month. PoE's are 1.5 months.

They also mentioned a couple of times the first season might be a bit longer than future seasons.

So yeah, no real clue.

Anoregon

I'd be surprised to see more than 3-4 seasons a year. I know in D2 they lasted like years, and if they want each season to have new items, blizzard dev speed means there is gonna be a hefty delay between each one.

Dahbomb

Official patch notes are up.

RIP IN PEACE RIMEHEART

RIP IN PEACE FURNACE

RIP IN PEACE BULL SHIT ITEM SWAPPING IN GRs

Honestly these changes should've come with the EP nerf but whatever... they were expected.

How do you guys think resource cost reduction is going to work with the new Arcane Meteor? Will it take up all your resource and give you additional damage based off of your resource cost or will it deplete it partially based on resource cost?

ZenaxPure

How do you guys think resource cost reduction is going to work with the new Arcane Meteor? Will it take up all your resource and give you additional damage based off of your resource cost or will it deplete it partially based on resource cost?

Does the arcane rune still have an initial cost to cast it? If so I imagine it would work like boulder (Initial cost is effected by RCR but then all fury still gets consumed as extra damage).

If they ditched the initial cost then I'm not really sure.

Also, looks like they finally confirmed in a blue post we get to keep seasonal heroes after the season is over (as in the past they would always only say Gold/Xp/Items). Dear Blizzard, please give me more character slots.

Dahbomb

There is an initial cost so yeah what you are saying is probably right.

Which would mean that resource cost reduction would actually benefit this skill pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom